The San Fransisco Giants Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:04 am
Though I'll admit it was a close call, Once again, Bochy pulls the starter after a leadoff hit that Torres almost caught and the bullpen allows a 4 run inning. The only positive thing that can be said is that we got the bullpen feet wet in what turned out to ge a losing cause. I did think Bochy has has a 2 game streak where he did manage his pitchers well.
Torres has at least for the last 7 weeks ran out of gas. He was , like 5 for 45 prior to his appendictis and has been doing marginally better since. It's hard to imagine, given the symptoms that Uribe will be back tomorrow, but I could be wrong.
I'm into taking somewhat radical action lineup wise to try to get some hitting going. I'd be curious what you guys think: I'd suggest:
Sanchez
Posey
Huff
Ross
Burrell
Sandoval
Rowand
Renterria

Yeah there isn't much speed on top, but without Torres we have no speed, period, and he does have to get on base first, which he isn't doing. I wouldn't mind Rowand leading off but did that really work out well in the first of the year? Maybe it won't matter if he bats first or 8th because it seems like any change in Rowand's status works out well for a little while., so I tend to be optimistic about putting him in. ( mostly because I think there is nowhere to go with him but up ) If Uribe can return I'd probably bat him 7th and Rowand 8th.
I would discount the righty lefty matchup with Sandoval. He has been pretty abysmal from the right side (.224 ) but I think it might be the time to throw that out and see again if you can get this guy some of his confidence back, and we do need his bat. We see now that Fontenot also is having his defensive lapses, and I think we have to keep picking away, trial and error to see what combination can work.war years
War Years

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:59 am
Unfortunately, Torres is playing worse than anyone else. Sanchez too, but he got a hit in game two.

I do like the Idea of switching it up. I think having posey go second could work, and huff going third. Only concern might be that it puts are three best hitters loaded on the top of the order, while the power hitters trickle throughout the rest of the lineup. Burrell, Ross, and Uribe all strike out a ton as they all go for the long ball.

I do think putting Panda (who was a good hitter last year) and former philly Rowand might be something this lineup can use to spice up this lineup.

Sanchez
Posey
Huff
Burrell
Ross
Sandoval
Uribe
Rowand
Pitcher.

SO you have the top average hitters loaded to the top. Power goes 4, 5, and 7 .Panda six, as he has a record of being a better average hitter than the other 4-8 players. Rowand 8th as we haven't seen him, and Pitcher.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:29 am
Great game. This is getting good! Cain showed that he's as strong as ever. If we can just win tomorrow, we will have Timmy at home on Thursday! I give Bochy credit for experimenting with the lineup, as it turned out, both Rowand and Renterria got big hits, and he did let Cain finish his inning.
I watched the Rangers trounce the Yankees with mixed emotions. I feel good for Benjie and his stepping forward, and Texas's first shot at a World Series, but then I hate the Yankees and I'd LOVE to have a chance to beat them in the series.
War Years
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:45 pm
Yeah Bochy and his drunken riverboat gambler mentality down the stretch and in the post season has really payed off!
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:41 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Unfortunately, Torres is playing worse than anyone else. Sanchez too, but he got a hit in game two.

I do like the Idea of switching it up. I think having posey go second could work, and huff going third. Only concern might be that it puts are three best hitters loaded on the top of the order, while the power hitters trickle throughout the rest of the lineup. Burrell, Ross, and Uribe all strike out a ton as they all go for the long ball.

I do think putting Panda (who was a good hitter last year) and former philly Rowand might be something this lineup can use to spice up this lineup.

Sanchez
Posey
Huff
Burrell
Ross
Sandoval
Uribe
Rowand
Pitcher.

SO you have the top average hitters loaded to the top. Power goes 4, 5, and 7 .Panda six, as he has a record of being a better average hitter than the other 4-8 players. Rowand 8th as we haven't seen him, and Pitcher.

I don't think we can afford the switch back to Panda right now ... don't mess with whats working. Last thing we need is that fat tub of defensive liability back in the line up.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:04 pm
Well, let's thank boch that he gave panda the nod because that 2 run double was huge. That's 3 down win one to go at home and big time timmy Jim taking the mound tomorrow! Trying to watch the post game now but all ESPN and fox want to do is talk about the phillies, nothing new.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:26 am
JREED wrote:Well, let's thank boch that he gave panda the nod because that 2 run double was huge. That's 3 down win one to go at home and big time timmy Jim taking the mound tomorrow! Trying to watch the post game now but all ESPN and fox want to do is talk about the phillies, nothing new.

Goddamn, talk about me eating my words ](*,) ](*,)

Panda's RBI's were huge... and they came right after I wanted to throw my remote at the screen for swinging at another ball in the dirt.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:18 am
I probably would have said the samething, would have rather had uribe playing 3rd, but who knows with that injury. Anyone but Fontenot the way he has been defensively.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:13 pm
I give Pablo as much of a chance of getting hot as any other Giant. Though I do think Biochy is right to continue to keep finding the hot hand. I hear Torres goes back to batting first up, good lucK Andres. If he can't cut it, I'd sure like to see Sanchez leading off. Kudos to Rowand, making that killer throw, and then the Posey swipe.
War Years

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:56 am
That game was strange, That 3rd inning did highlight the occasional weird bounces of baseball.The umpire call on the foul ball bunt. Posey probably should have let it go foul, but he wanted to make a heads up play. Pablo first charges then he runs back to 3rd and ends up a step short. If he just caught the ball and turned around and touch the base he had enough time to force the runner out. Then the Huff boot into center field, which was disastrous, and then the Phillies get their first 2 well hit base hits of the inning.
At the end, who do Buck and Mc Carver interview?, Halladay, who pitched OK and won, but was slightly outpitched by Lincecum.
During the regular season, acquiring Ramirez was like a dream come true. But he's now allowed 2 long balls, the 11th inning game breaker to Ankiel against Atlanta and now Wirth.
War Years

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:57 am
the umpires are not calling that low strike for most of the entire series. AND, they seem to be calling a strike on an outside ball on left handed hitters... they seem to be relatively consistent on this per game, but its odd how sometimes it seems like a perfectly good corner pitch is called a ball.

Hopefully Giants win tonight, for Sanchez's sake and that I don't think we will win a game 7 if we go to it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:54 pm
WORLD SERIES, BABY!!!

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 am
This thread should be retitled---WE'RE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES!!!
Anyway Congrats to all loyal Giants fans who in the last 40 years can't even count 3 years in a row at a stretch being in a Penant race every September.
World Series opener is going to go on at the same time as the Warrior opener, have I got that right??
My biggest problem with Bochy has been his premature pulling of our top 3 starters, but in the last 4 games Bochy has been brilliant! Affeldt's had a poor year, but I think he's picked the best time to return to 2009 form and I think we should resign him for 2011. Yesterday his pulling of both Sanchez and Lincecum was at the perfect time. After Affeldt saved the inning from Sanchez, I was just elated that we were still tied! I was almost thinking of letting him leadoff in the 5th instead of pinch hitting Fontenot ( who did get a hit ) because after their 2 run first and that almost nightmarish 3rd, coupled with Timmy's 3rd the other night, I was just happy to have someone come in from the bullpen who could shut the Phillies down. Bumgarner gutted it out, but that bases loded situation gave me the shakes.

What is Howard doing at the end?, just trying to get a charity call from the ump? ( Looking for a smilie that conveys total gutlessness ) Kind of a pathetic way to end the game. Usually the more Wilson tries to macho challenge the top hitters, they respond pretty well. Gonzales, Tulowitski. But he seems to be knitpicking his spots more and allowing walks just to make sure he doesn't allow the big hit. Nevermind, the guy has found himself, and should be good for us for a long time.
Pitching order, IMO should go back to Lincecum, Cain and then Sanchez, and maybe Bumgarner if we decide, which means if we are ahead in games.
Another 1 year contract to Uribe??, I think we can afford it. Pablo as DH in Texas? bring it on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
right??
War Years
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:33 pm
lol Bengie Molina is a lucky sob.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:01 pm
TheBodyGuard wrote:lol Bengie Molina is a lucky sob.

cuz he's getting a ring no matter the World Series outcome? Molina well deserves a ring for what he's done with the Giants so if we win, he deserves the ring. I don't think Chris Ray deserves his ring if the Rangers win the series.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board