2010 MLB Awards and Playoffs

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 6
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:30 pm
What are people's predictions for the regular season awards and the playoffs? Here are mine:

AWARDS

AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera
NL MVP: Joey Votto

AL Cy Young: Felix Hernandez
NL Cy Young: Roy Halladay

AL Rookie of Year: Neftali Feliz
NL Rookie of Year: Jason Heyward

Thoughts: Cabrera should get it, even thought Detroit faded badly after the all-star break. He was top 3 in a fair few statistical categories, and I think he lead the league in intentional walks too, which shows what a threat he is. Votto also had a great statistical year, and there's no way the Reds make the play-offs without him. I read a stat that Votto didn't hit an infield pop-up all season. That's insane.

Despite his crappy win-loss record, Felix definitely deserves the Cy Young. It's not his fault the Mariners have an absolutely awful offense. He lead ERA, was first in innings pitched, and 2nd in K's. Let's hope the voters use common sense, and don't give it to someone like Sabathia, who got to pitch behind the loaded Yankees offense. After the first half of the year, it's impossible to think that Ubaldo Jimenez wouldn't get the Cy Young, let alone fail to reach 20 wins. Crazy. Halladay gets it based on some very good numbers, but I don't think Adam Wainwright should be that far off in the voting either. Josh Johnson was in there with a shot at one stage too.

I think Feliz is clearly the AL Rookie of the Year. He set the rookie record for saves in a season, and it's not like there were too many other standout rookies in this league. If Carlos Santata had played a full season though, things might have been different. Austin Jackson will no doubt get a few votes. In the NL, the only reason Heyward will win is because he was in the lineup from Opening Day. This award should really go to Buster Posey, but I can't see him winning it, unfortunately.

PLAYOFFS

AL Divisional

Twins vs Yankees --> Yankees in five
Rays vs Rangers --> Rays in five

NL Divisional

Phillies vs Reds ---> Phillies in four
Giants vs Braves --> Giants in five

AL Champion

Rays vs Yankees --> Yankees in six

NL Champion

Phillies vs Giants --> Phillies in five

World Series

Phillies vs Yankees --> Phillies in six

Thoughts: The AL division play-offs should be awesome. I see both of them going to five games. Lots of big bats between those four teams, but I think the Yankees will be just too strong offensively for the Twins, while the Rays have slightly more reliable pitching then the Rangers (plus home field). In the NL, the Phillies will be far too strong for the Reds (Halladay and Oswalt and Hamels is a great 1-2-3), while the Giants will rely on strong starting pitching and a strong bullpen to outlast the Braves, who are just too inconsistent.

In the Championship series, the Yankees will again rely on their offense, and I predict a big postseason for Jeter and A-Rod. And Mariano Rivera will definitely decide 2-3 games. In the NL, I can't see the Giants putting up too much of a fight against the Phillies, who are just too strong, and will be spurred on by a raucous home crowd.

In the World Series, I think we'll see the same teams from last year, except the result will be reversed. I do think the Phillies will ride their 1-2-3 pitching combination, plus their bats in Utley and Howard and Werth, all the way to their second title in three seasons.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:03 am
Here are mine:

AWARDS

NL Rookie of Year: Buster Posey

Thoughts: See Aussiebiedren's description... only difference is that I have Buster Posey as rooking of the year. Looking at his numbers (which is through 4, not 6, months), is amazing. There is no other rookie that means more to his team than Buster Posey. Yes, Heyward has better numbers, but once Posey was called up, Posey was immediately the better play and outperformed Heyward.

PLAYOFFS

AL Divisional

Twins vs Yankees --> Yankees in four
Rays vs Rangers --> Rangers in three

NL Divisional

Giants vs Braves --> Giants in four

AL Champion

Rangers vs Yankees --> Yankees in six

NL Champion

Phillies vs Giants --> Giants in seven

World Series

Giants vs Yankees --> Giants in six

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:24 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Here are mine:

AWARDS

NL Rookie of Year: Buster Posey

Thoughts: See Aussiebiedren's description... only difference is that I have Buster Posey as rooking of the year. Looking at his numbers (which is through 4, not 6, months), is amazing. There is no other rookie that means more to his team than Buster Posey. Yes, Heyward has better numbers, but once Posey was called up, Posey was immediately the better play and outperformed Heyward.

PLAYOFFS

AL Divisional

Twins vs Yankees --> Yankees in four
Rays vs Rangers --> Rangers in three

NL Divisional

Giants vs Braves --> Giants in four

AL Champion

Rangers vs Yankees --> Yankees in six

NL Champion

Phillies vs Giants --> Giants in seven

World Series

Giants vs Yankees --> Giants in six

Big call on Giants over Phillies. But I can respect someone rooting for their home team. I mean, look at Pawno picking the Raiders to win the Super Bowl :mrgreen: (Not that I'm comparing the Giants winning the World Series to the Raiders winning the Super Bowl; only one of those could actually happen!)

Anyway, what about Halladay's performance yesterday? The man is a machine!
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:07 pm
LOL...

Can't believe someone replied to this loser thread

Just Jokes :P

Sorry Ozbeans, Baseball ain't my thang. I'm pissed though the Rangers beat out a much improved Athletics for there division

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:15 pm
PAWNO wrote:LOL...

Can't believe someone replied to this loser thread

Just Jokes :P

Sorry Ozbeans, Baseball ain't my thang. I'm pissed though the Rangers beat out a much improved Athletics for there division

Looks like the Rangers are about to win their first ever play-off series, up 2-0 against the Rays. Both were road wins, very impressive.

The Athletics have a very promising future, but need much more from their bats. I like their pitching, both starting and bullpen.

In other play-off news, looks like the Twins will once again fall victim to the Yanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:00 pm
well, so far so good on my Giants prediction.

Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:45 pm
Lucky lucky escape for the Giants today. But it's the break they needed to get the advantage in this series.

Yankees and Phillies both sweep. They clearly mean business.

Game 5 of Rays vs Rangers should be a cracker. I don't know who to pick!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:05 pm
a cracker?

yeah, that is a tough game to pick... road team has won all four games... i say rangers win, 3-1.

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:47 pm
So the Giants march on...

What a series it's going to be between the Phillies and Giants. However, I feel as though the Giants would have a much better chance if this series were a best of 5. In a best of 7, I think Philly have the upper hand, as their offense is a lot more potent. But you never know...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:22 pm
Giants need to be perfect in order to win this series. We have better pitching, but not by much. They have better hitting, and it's not even close.

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:32 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Giants need to be perfect in order to win this series. We have better pitching, but not by much. They have better hitting, and it's not even close.

I trust the Giants bullpen a lot more than I trust the Phillies bullpen. If the Giants can limit the Halladay/Oswalt/Hamels combo to around 6 innings each, they're in with a chance. Draw walks, drag out the at-bats, have someone other than Posey and Ross start hitting.

But like you say Crackerz, they will need to be close to perfect. Any thoughts on the AL series? I think Yankees will win, but I'm rooting for Texas.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:49 pm
I think we just need to get hot, all season we've been hot and cold - I'm feeling a heat wave comin on! No doubt our bullpen is better our starting pitching is about the same. If we can just have a couple of guys, hell even one guy other than Posey, get hot we stand a pretty good chance.

Pitching is the ultimate equalizer in playoff baseball. We are facing a line up that is full of strikeout machines and that's what our pitching staff does best. the Phillies bats are dangerous when they can make contact and we've got a group of young arms that can make you swing and miss all day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:53 am
I think Yanks are winning this one. Maybe in 5-6 games or so (the only texas wins coming from Lee games). Yanks have better everything over texas.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:54 pm
Giants move on!!!!

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:18 pm
Giants vs Rangers in the World Series, who would've thought that at the start of the Play-Offs?

It's an intriguing match-up for sure. I would say the Giants have a better starting rotation, and probably a slightly better bullpen, while the Rangers have a much more reliable offense.

But this postseason has been all about pitching, so the Giants are definitely in with a chance. I thought it would make sense for both teams to go to a three-man rotation in the WS, but that doesn't look like happening.

At gunpoint, I'm going to say Rangers in six. Either way, it's going to be a great series!

Cliff Lee is my prediction for World Series MVP.
Next

Return to Sports Board