Once Brothers

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:38 am
That's the title of the documentary that is in the making, at least that's how I heard. It's about Vlade Divac's and late Drazen Petrovic's careers and a civil war that happened in Yugoslavia at the beginning of the '90s. They both played for the last Yugoslavia's team (the Yugoslavia with all of the ex countries, not counting Yugoslavia afterwards that consisted of only Serbia and Montenegro) in 1990, and after that Vlade played for that "other" Yugoslavia, because he's a Serb, adn Drazen played for Croatia.

Anyway, here's a youtube video:

I don't know if anyone cared, though, I'm from there, so it's granted that I'm interested.

Premiers are on 12th of October on ESPN.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:10 pm
That actually looks very good, thanks for the heads up.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:07 am
yeah, ESPN is dishing out a great series with these documentary movies every tuesday. All the films I've seen have been amazing, and this one looks like it will be well produced. Definately want to check this one out.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:02 pm
Documentary has been shown, but I haven't watched it yet. I'll try to gather all of the parts on youtube and post it here.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:57 pm
Just wanted to do that now, and I see you've done it already Beast. Thanks, man.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:17 am
I ended up watching it when it aired. I thought it was pretty good (as most of them are). It was longer than most of the 30 for 30's I've seen (usually their an hour with commercials, this one was a bit longer).

I thought Vlade was able to give the viewers a good viewpoint on how the civil war of the former Yugoslavakia affect both his and Petrovic's career/relationship while they were in the NBA. It is just sad that Petrovic and Divac were never able to re-kindle their friendship before Petrovic was killed.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:53 am
Yeah, it was a good one. A lot of emotions, probably a bit more from me, being here during all of that stupid war. I haven't felt it as much as those people living on the border, but I still haven't seen my dad a lot, cause he had to go to war, and I was just being kid back then. And Yugoslavia (not Yugoslavakia Mr. C :) ) had it all, good economy, everybody had jobs, we were a force in Europe, and even though Serbia and Croatia are still good in pretty much all of the sports, if we stayed together, who knows what could have happened. I just still can't understand why people wanna ruin something big and strong, to have something smaller. If you ask anyone from here, they will tell you how much better it was living in the Yugoslavia back then, than it is now in any of the countries.

Nationalism, hah. It's OK to be patriot, but when you cross that line, you end up doing something wrong and stupid. Too bad people are so easy to be controlled around here it seems, cause that bunch of idiotic politicians from that period managed to ruin the country because of their interests. And that influenced even the good friend and families. One day you were going to school with those guys, and the next day you're seeing them on the battlefield...but on the other side.

Anyway, Vlade did this OK, he placed a lot of story on Drazen. And indeed it is too bad that Vlade never got a chance to talk to him after all of that crap. I kind of lost a bit of respect for Drazen for getting mad at Vlade for that, even though he knew him real good, and I'm quite sure he knew that Vlade would throw the flag away even if it was Serbian, like it was said. He wasn't showing disrespect to their flag, he just didn't wanna see separatists ruining their lives. All would have been better if Drazen or, Toni, Dino or any other Croatian player did that.
All in all, at least things are getting better between countries now, after all these years. There are still hooligans on both sides, that are waiting for opportunity during soccer games to offend the other side, or fight. But, there's a lot of good people on both sides, that just can't stand those idiots. It's just too bad that there's a lot of them. Unhappy people on both sides, that are disappointed with their lives now, and need something like that.

I think I've said quite enough, got carried away. :)
Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:14 am
I wouldn't know but I've heard a lot of people echo guybrush's comment in that its a very emotional film. I'm very interested in seeing it
Australian Fan

Return to NBA Forum