The San Fransisco Giants Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:51 pm
Yeah, he was a legand for the Giants back when they were in New York.

BTW, great pitching by Sanchez to avoid the sweep.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:07 pm
yeah, we have slipped pretty good during this tough stretch, hopefully we can rebound against the cards and get the bats going again.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:31 pm
Well, the Giants have pretty much shown all of us that July was a complete fluke. With 37 games left, 6 back in the west and 1.5 behind 2 much better teams (Phili and STL) we'll be fortunate to capture a playoff birth. Plus our remaining schedule is going to be an uphill battle - with the only easy series' being 3 with the D-Backs, one series against the Brewers and one against the Cubbies - the rest being all LAD, Rockies and the @%$#^%$% Padres....

Well have plenty of time to make up ground in the west if the Padres go on a slump and we catch some fire, but our pitching lately has looked pretty bad and we still struggle at the plate, but our overall inconsistency will likely mean coming up short for the playoffs again.

sorry if I sound kind of bleak but the huge fall from July to the baseball we have been playing lately has seriously diminished any optimism I had.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 6
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:19 pm
What do you guys think of the Giants claiming Cody Ross off waivers?

I assume he's going to play somewhere in the outfield, but I hope that doesn't mean less playing time for Andres Torres. Certainly, that move alone is not going to get them a wild-card spot.

I keep waiting for the other foot to drop with the Padres, but it doesn't look like happening. I still can't get my head around their record, especially with the batting line-up they have, best bullpen in the league or not...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:08 pm
I'm indifferent, we already have 2 good defensive out fielders that are in season long slumps - why get another? Plus it doesn't sound like we even wanted the guy, rather we wanted to block him going to the padres. On the other hand, he might turn it up for the rest of the season which happens sometimes when a guy gets moved like this. He did have a good season last year and if he helps at all we got a good deal, but he'll be leaving next season.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:19 am
Gee, can anyone direct me to an online forum where the Giants register even a pulse? I'm actually enthused about being in a penant race. I know Nelson finally leaving is the first real news in a while. And I know the bay area is just beside itself with our Dodo head coach firing his Bozo Offensive coordinator. Gee I wonder how far the 49ers are going to get?
Anyway, I'll test the waters here:
I believe the Giants can keep only what-26 plyers for their playoff roster?
Here's my list- Position players
Posey,F. Sanchez, Huff, Guillen,Fountenot ( I think he's a keeper )Renterria,Torres, Ishikawa, Ross, Sandoval, Burrell,Uribe,Whiteside,Rowand and Shierholz
Pitchers: Lincecum, Zito, Cain, Sanchez, Bumgarner,Wilson, Romo, Lopez, Affeldt,Casilla, Ramirez.
Non Keepers:Runzler ( my biggest regret from the pitchers ) Mota and Ray.

Am I missing somebody?, I first thought I'd have to pick between Rowand and Schierholz. Carrying only 11 pitchers and dumping the 2 long relievers, I don't think will be that great a sacrifice, with all the offdays in the playoff schedule. Bochy may have to use a little more restraint in his use of pitchers in the 6th, 7th, and 8th.
Obviously, injuries, such as Renterria or F. Sanchez, Torres ( I sure hope not!) could effect this list.

If the Pads should pick up a game by tomorrow. I think we pitch Tim on 4 days rest and hold out the possibility of pitching him on Sunday in the unlikely event we should go into Sunday a game behind,and have no chance of a wild card. and start Bumgarner on Thursday. Though if we are protecting a one game lead or are tied on Sunday with a chance at the wild card., I'd be comfortable starting Sanchez.. If we slip and go into the San Diego series down a game. I think we scratch Zito, and go with Cain, Sanchez and Lincecum. Speculating about this is fun,but I tend to think we are in the most superior position of us, the Pads and Atlanta.
But I sure don't want to go against the Phillies in the first round.

war years
War Years
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:07 pm
I'm all about baseball. With he recent departures, we've lost quit a few contributors to this thread, but I'm glad someone else here is still down to talk some baseball.

I believe the roster size at the end of minor league ball actually goes up to a 33 man roster, not sure if the playoff roster is bigger but I know it's much more than 26 because 25 is the size throughout the season - 33 is the size of our current roster. There are several guys that you didn't mention that will maybe/likely be used if we indeed make it to the playoffs. This is the order some of our bench guys will likely be used and for what (IMO):

Darren Ford - Pinch Runner
Eli Whiteside - Pinch Hitter and possibly spell Posey for a game or at least the last several innings of a game in which we lead.
Eugenio Velez - Pinch Hitter/Runner - Whatever it is, I hope it's not defense
Emmanuel Burriss - Same as Velez
Ryan Rohlinger - Didn't even know this guy was still on the roster... Maybe D?

I really like what Bochy has been doing with the pitching staff lately and I hope he keeps it up if our offense continues to not produce.

I disagree with your non-keeper pitchers though:

Runzler has been injured, so it's tough to grade this guy, but I hope he gets some work and establishes a rhythm in these last 6 games so we know where we stand with him. It would be great if he can prove himself because you can never have enough lefties.

Mota has actually been pretty good for us early in the season before we got guys like Lopez and Ramirez, he has been put in some really bad situations. We obviously have better options in our bullpen now, but he is an awesome option to have in the pen in extra innings. This guy is one of the reasons why our bullpen is so deep, he could easily be a frequently used reliever on many other teams.

Ray is kind of another emergency reliever like Mota, but he'll probably only get work if we really need him in extra innings or in a blowout.

You look at these guys and say that they aren't that good because we are comparing them to the rest of our pitching staff, but when you take a look at their numbers and around the league they are actually pretty good. We have an A+++ bullpen right now and a manager that knows how to use them very effectively.

Nobody wants to see the Phillies, that's why it is so important that we take the West so we can face the Reds instead, but none of the teams that are likely to go will be easy outs, especially for us and our inconsistencies on offense.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:30 pm
Excellent win tonight!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:16 am
That was a great win... man, i was feeling the comeback when U hit the tying HR, and following the boxscore of the Padres.... Magic Number 4.... pretty exciting.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:14 pm
JREED23 wrote:I'm all about baseball. With he recent departures, we've lost quit a few contributors to this thread, but I'm glad someone else here is still down to talk some baseball.

I believe the roster size at the end of minor league ball actually goes up to a 33 man roster, not sure if the playoff roster is bigger but I know it's much more than 26 because 25 is the size throughout the season - 33 is the size of our current roster. There are several guys that you didn't mention that will maybe/likely be used if we indeed make it to the playoffs. This is the order some of our bench guys will likely be used and for what (IMO):

Darren Ford - Pinch Runner
Eli Whiteside - Pinch Hitter and possibly spell Posey for a game or at least the last several innings of a game in which we lead.
Eugenio Velez - Pinch Hitter/Runner - Whatever it is, I hope it's not defense
Emmanuel Burriss - Same as Velez
Ryan Rohlinger - Didn't even know this guy was still on the roster... Maybe D?

I really like what Bochy has been doing with the pitching staff lately and I hope he keeps it up if our offense continues to not produce.

I disagree with your non-keeper pitchers though:

Runzler has been injured, so it's tough to grade this guy, but I hope he gets some work and establishes a rhythm in these last 6 games so we know where we stand with him. It would be great if he can prove himself because you can never have enough lefties.

Mota has actually been pretty good for us early in the season before we got guys like Lopez and Ramirez, he has been put in some really bad situations. We obviously have better options in our bullpen now, but he is an awesome option to have in the pen in extra innings. This guy is one of the reasons why our bullpen is so deep, he could easily be a frequently used reliever on many other teams.

Ray is kind of another emergency reliever like Mota, but he'll probably only get work if we really need him in extra innings or in a blowout.

You look at these guys and say that they aren't that good because we are comparing them to the rest of our pitching staff, but when you take a look at their numbers and around the league they are actually pretty good. We have an A+++ bullpen right now and a manager that knows how to use them very effectively.

Nobody wants to see the Phillies, that's why it is so important that we take the West so we can face the Reds instead, but none of the teams that are likely to go will be easy outs, especially for us and our inconsistencies on offense.

If it was up to me, I'd include as many players as I could. I think the roster expansion in September is allowed to let teams that were out of contention at least be able to experiment with young talent at the major league level. But I don't know if that situation stays through the playoffs.
Here's an ambiguous answer I got when asking the question: How many players can a team use for the playoffs.

"There is a 40 man roster during the playoffs. Each game the team can still only use a 25 man roster, however, the 40 man roster is a roster of all eligible players for the playoffs as you can not assign or call up players to/from your farm system once playoffs start "

Does that mean you can have your 40 man roster and pick the 25 players you use for each playoff round? Apparently you can submit one playoff roster for each round.
I know I heard on KNBR from that lawyer/ baseball enthusiast/ announcer say that some tough choices are going to have to be made, he said Ray's terrible outing the other night will effectively leave him off the playoff roster.. Apparently it is a 25 man roster and not 26 as I thought.
If we are allowed 40 players than we can have Mota, Ray, and Runzler ( What I said was I like Runzler.) But I don't think we can . If we are allowed a 25 man roster, we would probably not only have to eliminate all 3 of those pitchers. But we'd have to eliminate one position player from one of these 4 guys, : Fountenot, Schierholz, Rowand or Renterria.
Anyway, I'm still confused as to exactly what the rules are.
War Years
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:53 pm
Our active roster lists like 33 players, but i don't really know how it works either.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:07 pm
I do

The 40 man roster is in place before the playoffs start. NOW before each series, the manager must pick 25 of those players to be active for that series. You must stick with those 25 for the entire series. If you advance to the future rounds, the manager has the option of picking 25 players once again (from that original 40 man roster). He can elect to choose all 25 again, or substitute who he likes, so long as it is between series and not during a series.

For Example:
Say Bochy names his 25 players for the Division Series. Rowand and Renteria barely make the 25 man cut, while Ross and Velez did not. SO Bochey is force to stick with that entire 25 man team for that entire series. LETS SAY the giants win the series and are heading to the Conference Series. Rowand sucked during the Division series, and Renteria got hurt. Bochey has the option to bring in ROss and Velez into the 25 man roster while taking out Rowand and Renteria. He didn't have that option while the division series was in progress, but was able to make the change once the series ended and before the new series had begun. SAME PROCESS WITH THE WORLD SERIES.

It might be confusing. Let me know if I can clarify it.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:36 pm
After reading several explanations over the years, that made the most sense, thanks Mr. C.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:34 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I do

The 40 man roster is in place before the playoffs start. NOW before each series, the manager must pick 25 of those players to be active for that series. You must stick with those 25 for the entire series. If you advance to the future rounds, the manager has the option of picking 25 players once again (from that original 40 man roster). He can elect to choose all 25 again, or substitute who he likes, so long as it is between series and not during a series.

For Example:
Say Bochy names his 25 players for the Division Series. Rowand and Renteria barely make the 25 man cut, while Ross and Velez did not. SO Bochey is force to stick with that entire 25 man team for that entire series. LETS SAY the giants win the series and are heading to the Conference Series. Rowand sucked during the Division series, and Renteria got hurt. Bochey has the option to bring in ROss and Velez into the 25 man roster while taking out Rowand and Renteria. He didn't have that option while the division series was in progress, but was able to make the change once the series ended and before the new series had begun. SAME PROCESS WITH THE WORLD SERIES.

It might be confusing. Let me know if I can clarify it.

It's not confusing , it's exactly what I've been postulating, but I needed that confirmation, so thanks Crackerz.. So what do you guys think of an 11 man pitching staff? You're not going to carry a 14 man staff. So who gets the axe? I was saying Mota, Ray and regrettably Runzler.

Even so, if you carry 14 position players. You have to cut one player from this group. Fountenot, Ross, Rowand Schierholz,Ishikawa and Renterria. Who do you think you'd cut? Or would you keep say Runzler and get rid of 2 of the position players.. I would tend to think Velez is out of the playoffs, so I wasn't even including him on that list.. Rowand 's the least used but he has been with the club several years now. He also knows the AT&T outfield better than anybody. If Torres doesn't completely heal Rowand is a good back up. Schierholz has been coming through in the clutch and is a good late inning defensive choice. Ishikawa seems to be the most favored by Bochy as a pinch hitter and a good defensive backup to Huff.
I'd run a close check on Renterria's health because we have both Fountenot and Uribe in his place. But if Renterria's healthy. I would think probably Schierholz is who I'd drop. I think you have to honor that Renterria and Rowand are veterans with muti year contracts. I know you could make the argument that Ross and Fountenot are sort of Johhny-come -lately's, but they are both potentially valuable to us. Fountenot for his defensive versatility and his being a good back up to Sanchez at second. Ross because of his bat, and the fact that we are prone to having our hitting go south occasionally and it's prudent for us to have the most hitting possibilities we can have.
Anyway, there is so many interchangeable parts on the Giants, I find the question of who we would keep fascinating.
War Years

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:43 am
With pitching, you must keep Lopez (1.45 ERA as giant), Rodriguez (0.70), Romo, and Wilson. Those are the untouchables in relief. Remember, Bumgardener will be a reliever as well, so that makes 5. I believe the giants will use a 4 man rotation versus the typical three we see in the playoffs. Lincicum, Cain, Sanchez, Zito (my preferred order). That right there makes 9 players.

Now the tricky part. If the team chooses to bring 11 pitchers, it must decide the final two relievers. Santiago Castilla has played well with the team, so i would elect to have him there. Now the final spot. If the team needs another lefty (it already has 2 in lopez and bum.), it has the choice of the inconsistant Affeldt or Runzler, who is playing decent. If they want another righthander, they can choose Ray or Mota. Of those four, I would take the gamble on Affeldt IF he is healthy. He hasn't been all year, so i am a bit skeptical. But if they do a bullpen session and he looks fine, then i want him to make the roster.

However, this relief is so strong, i wouldn't be shock if bochey pulls a 10 man pitching rotation for the division series (as its only 5 games), and chooses to bring 11 pitchers for the other 2 series. Having the extra batter can be useful in a shorter series.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board