FIBA World Championship 2010

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 6
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:42 pm
Guybrush wrote:
aussiebiedrins wrote:
Guybrush wrote:Aussie, tomorrow is our day. Looking forward talking to you after/during the match if we're online. :)

I don't understand how you guys only just beat Germany. But having said that, I don't understand how we only just beat Jordan. I mean, Jordan!

Anyway, if we lose, I'm already using Bogut as an excuse. But I do like our size. Any Patty Mills is having a great tourney.

How much will Kristic's return help you guys?

We actually lost to Germany by one point after 2 overtimes. :) We had a bad shooting game, and they were wuite lucky considering some shots that got in for them. So, it was one of those games that rarely anyhting goes well. What more to say when Kosta Perovic scored the most points (20). :) But, we also missed two best players. You could have seen how much better offense looks like when Teodosic throws his passes and assists around. With him, I could score 30 points a game. ::razz:

You have "our" guy in Alex Maric as well. :) You're lucky he couldn't play for Serbia now, he's a real good center. That's where Krstic will automatically help. Perovic, you all know what kind of a player he is. He's just too slow, he can do something good, but he can't be in for the most of the game. Macvan (3rd center) is just too small, he's more of a PF, he's build reminds me a bit of Kevin Love.
Teodosic improved offense a lot (miles better than it was), and Krstic will help mostly in rebounding (defesively mostly), he will be a first option below the basket, and he's quite good in defense as well, being a big guy that is quite mobile as well. He's a team captain also, so he means a lot. I think we'll take this one, we already lost one we shouldn't have, so I don't think we will allow ourselves same mistake again.

Though, I wish you the best of luck, and let the best team win.

Sorry, massive brainfart on my part. I meant to write, I don't know how you guys lost to Germany. Don't know what I was thinking there.

The Australian team is interesting. There are only two players on the squad from the local Australian league (the NBL). The rest are all either NBA or Europe. Shows the quality of our league here. But I do like that we end up with players like Alex Maric on our team :)

It should be a great game. I feel both teams used their first games as a way of easing into the tournament, and the results from the Jordan/Germany wins are much more indicative of each team's potential and ability.

I do worry about the Serbians though. Teodosic certainly likes to throw the ball around, almost as much as Kristic likes to throw chairs around :mrgreen:

Anyway, good luck too, and definitely, may the best team win!
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:52 pm
Well, we played our worst game of the tournament probably against the Germans. You had your good and bad moments as well, so tomorrow should be a good game indeed.

And about Krstic and chair :)...trust me, if that big Greek center was running at me I would throw someone from the stands at him even. Just kidding. But it was generally a horrible incident. We always have some incidents like thos when we play Greeks in Greece. And we're, how most like to say, "brother" nations. :) That match wasn't even covered by FIBA officials.

And, yeah, you do have a good team, and I'm quite sure you'll be in the top 4 in this group, of course Jordan and Angola will be the last two teams.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:06 am
It seems today is a free day...didn't know that, so our talk, Aussie, will wait until after the match is played. :)

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:38 pm
yes! we gave it to you cock faced spaniard stars, how about that - second hand lithuania with 3 millions taking you to the public blow job, neat!!!!
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:32 pm
It might get quite complicated now for the Spain. I didn't watch the game, but somehow I always respect Lithuania's team. All the time we had trouble with them, even when Serbia had the best team it was hard to beat them.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:00 am
what's not to respect, i mean, if this country can do something right, it's play basketball. from the glory of winning first ever european championships to giving fits to americans in '90-ies, albeit lithuanian national team was called s USSR these days under supervision of big bear :wink:
never lower than 4 place in 5 consequetive olympic games after regaining independence.

serbia was always a good sport to lithuanian basketball team, i remember games we played against them when you still were yugoslavia and being robbed of gold medal, when lithuanian team wanted to leave the court at the end of the match because of ridiculous refereeing. much passion there.
and this year's under18 semifanal vs. serbia was a thriller.
i say two best european basketball schools meeting each other is always exciting, baring random blowout any way once in a while.
we have character and passion.
not like spaniards :mrgreen:

oh, and here's little lesson for ricky rubio (count me amongst those who are sceptic about his nba prospects)

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:34 am
You know Australia is really primed to be movers & shakers in LONDON 2012!

Every good International team needs a GREAT BIG MAN... Considering that Andrew Bogut received 3rd ALL NBA TEAM this year means that if he continues to grow, with all the other great talent we have playing in Europe.. I wouldn't put it so far that a medal could be on the horizon.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:15 am
I'll take a look at Australia's team a little bit more today, when we play you guys. Alex Maric said that he knows we have good centers in Krstic and Perovic, and I was expecting that he will be your go to guy. I'll check the other players more, I've watched him play in Partizan whole last year, so I know him good enough. It's quite possible that you'll have a good team for the Olympics.

Too bad Peja doesn't play for the national team anymore. Even Radmanovic could help. :) But, we decided to get a new team with all young players.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:23 am
So it begins! Go, Serbia! :)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:29 am
In the end Serbia 94:79 Australia.

It was a good and a tough game, even though it might not look like it by the result. Good game Australia, you do have quite a good team. Best of luck.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:36 pm
demolishing france 8)
way to go, lithuanians. surprising me with this roster. but that's what sport should be about - passion for winning, unselfishness, team ball and hard work. props to head coach making them young guys play the way they do.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 6
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:56 pm
I guess Australia were never really in it in the end. I think a good result for us will be to finish in the top 8. But there's a lot to like about our team, it's fairly young, and if they continue to play together, they might even be able to rise into top 5 in the world rankings one day.

I think the Serbs are starting to flex their muscles now. Also, if you had to give a tournament favourite right now, would you still go with the US? I think Serbia should be in that conversation now, and so should Argentina, Brazil, and I'm thinking Lithuania as well.

Martin, can you see the Lithuanians keeping this up? Or are they punching above their weight?

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:55 pm
well, before the tournament i gave maximum 1/8 for lithuania, qualifying behind spain and france. so, their good play is surprise to me. besides we shoot horribly, what 27 percent or so from the three, so we win with our defense. today we held france to 6/11/14 points after horrible first quarter outplaying france by 27 points. so, we can defend, even though on offense we tend to stagnate, but surprisingly we are capable of spurts in the second half, i believe due to very good physical preparation. the guys have balls. we might not be the most athletic, but certainly enduring. the athmosphere seems amazing since there's no stars, except for kleiza who seems to have learned from last year's fiasco and leads the team quite maturely. still, i think it's going to be tough in quarterfinals, i assume we will beat puerto rico in 1/8 and then, some luck and we could possibly go to semis, which would be very very fantastic since no one predicted us to play that good.
i'd still pick usa or spain (argentina and serbia seems powerfull, turkey at home should be considered, france is a fluke, greece, well, there's going to be some blood) to win it all, though spain might be too tired since they will have to play good teams since 1/8.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:59 am
as expected we've beaten liban easily. china for 1/8. if nothing extraordinary happens, we will meet serbians in 1/4 who have just beaten argentina. goint to be tuff as serbians have better talent. though, the way we played, it should be amazing match. hopefully darko doesn't threaten to **** lithuanian's mothers and sisters, cause it could get nasty :mrgreen:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:48 am
Darko's not even playing in this tournament. :)

We've finished first in the group with this win over Argentina (I hope we beat them again if we meet later on in knock-out phase). I wouldn't like for Serbia to play Lithuania at least before semis, but what can I do. :) There's a group of really good teams besides Lithuania as well. We'll see...without that one...don't know even how to call a game that we lost to Germans...we played excellent, hopefully we'll continue to play like that, and even better.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board