FIBA World Championship 2010

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:42 am
I reckon this deserves a thread, even though not everyone here are going to watch it.

Anyway, so far the results were:
Group A:
Australia - Jordan 76:75
Angola - Serbia 44:94 =D> (Nice one, even though we played without Krstic and Teodosic, probably the best 2 players)

Group B:
Tunisia - Slovenia 56:80
USA - Croatia 92:63

Group C:
Greece - China 89:81
Russia - Puerto Rico 75:66

Group D:
New Zealand - Lithuania 79:92
Canada - Lebanon 71:81

Anyway, I'm quite happy with the start of Serbia. The only surprise, to me at least, was the Canada's loss. I'm not expecting of them anything big, but Lebanon...

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:17 pm
Yeah, i didn't get to see any of the games as I was working all day... but hopefully I can see some action tomorrow.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:23 am
We just lost to Germany by one point after 2 overtimes. I'm still pretty pissed about it, but I kind of thought it might happen. We had an awful game when it comes to shooting and scoring in general, and Germans had one of those games when almost everything goes in, no matter how you throw it. And still, without Nenad Krstic and Milos Teodosic it was even bigger reason to think we might have a tough game. Teodosic will play next game (thank god, cause our other PG played terrible today), and Krstic will be back after the next game. So, I still expect us to go far, just don't like it when we lose to Germans. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:50 pm
serbia should advance though to the knockout stage. They are playing well, and I am confident they can get another win and be top 4 in the group.

USA stopped playing by the beginning of the third, and still won pretty easily.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:18 pm
:) I'm not worried that they won't reach the knockout stage, that was really never a question. I know they will, I mean, even though we have the youngest team, that same team played in European championship finals less than a year ago.

I'm quite positive that we will beat Australia, Jordan I don't even want to comment (no disrespect for them, but they're miles away from top teams). Argentina will be a tough game, but with Krstic and Teodosic back, we can win that one as well. If you get a chance, watch the next game (also without Krstic) and you'll see how different that team is with him playing. Great playmaker, I'm hoping to see him in the next couple of years in the NBA.

USA didn't have to trouble themselves too much, they will easily win the group, but after that the teams will be giving really their maximums against US, so, probably they will have to play even better in the knockout stage. Of course, against better teams. We'll see who they'll get to play first in the knockout stage.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:59 am
surprised no1 started a WC thread. anyone been watching the games? I got mine on dvr and teamUSA lookin aight so far.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:32 am
Good thread and definatel going to be interesting. Seen some of the scores so far and USA doing well, but not extremely dominant it seems, going by the scores

migya make the ring fall on ya
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:15 am
You should have just looked in Sports Board part, there is already a thread about it.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9502

And I think it's a more proper place, cause it doesn't have anything to do with the NBA itself.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:45 am
I merged both topics together.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:02 pm
I caught the 2nd half of the USA vs Brazil game. I don't know why Coach K doesn't play Kevin Love more, they're almost non-existent as far as go-to post offense. it forces them to become a jumpshooting / driving team only. many times the offense looked stagnent and didn't take the greatest shots.

a good way to beat Team USA:

-deny Durant the ball
-attack the weak frontcourt
-minimize TO's
-get back on D to prevent fastbreak

I see too many complimentary pieces, not enough superstars on TeamUSA. many of the guys getting bulk minutes wouldn't be the top guy on elite teams, and many may not even be the best on their respective teams.

Rose < Boozer?
Westbrook < Durant
Billups < Carmello
Odom < Gasol / Kobe
Gay < Z Randolph?
E Gordon < B Davis

they do deserve the B Team label. I don't think Kobe, Wade, Lebron, D Howard would've beaten Brazil by only 2. when will USA players finally realize that if the best team possible isn't sent, then expect to lose or almost lose.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:54 pm
rockyBeli wrote:I caught the 2nd half of the USA vs Brazil game. I don't know why Coach K doesn't play Kevin Love more, they're almost non-existent as far as go-to post offense. it forces them to become a jumpshooting / driving team only. many times the offense looked stagnent and didn't take the greatest shots.

-deny Durant the ball
-minimize TO's

I see too many complimentary pieces, not enough superstars on TeamUSA. many of the guys getting bulk minutes wouldn't be the top guy on elite teams, and many may not even be the best on their respective teams.

Rose < Boozer?
Westbrook < Durant
Billups < Carmello
Odom < Gasol / Kobe
Gay < Z Randolph?
E Gordon < B Davis

they do deserve the B Team label. I don't think Kobe, Wade, Lebron, D Howard would've beaten Brazil by only 2. when will USA players finally realize that if the best team possible isn't sent, then expect to lose or almost lose.

I still think this team will win it all. 6 of the 12 players are 21 years old, so they are a young squad. They are playing 5 games in 6 days. It gets to the point where Coach K just doesnt wanna play players too many minutes for each game, that is why I think Love played extensively. I expect the backups to get significant minutes tomorrow, and durant few minutes as it will be their 4th consecutive game in as many days.

BTW, do to the fact that there are so many games, in such a few amount of days, would anyone else like it if FIBA increased the roster size to 15 players per team? I certainly would.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 6
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:06 pm
rockyBeli wrote:I caught the 2nd half of the USA vs Brazil game. I don't know why Coach K doesn't play Kevin Love more, they're almost non-existent as far as go-to post offense. it forces them to become a jumpshooting / driving team only. many times the offense looked stagnent and didn't take the greatest shots.

-deny Durant the ball
-minimize TO's

Rose < Boozer?
Westbrook < Durant
Billups < Carmello
Odom < Gasol / Kobe
Gay < Z Randolph?
E Gordon < B Davis

Agree with everything except the Westbrook/Durant comparison. Durant is a top 3 player in the NBA, and would start on a full-strength USA squad. He'll be a front-runner for MVP this coming season.

Meanwhile, the Aussies whooped the Germans. We still have some life! In fact, we're one missed Adam Gibson 3 from being undefeated. Watch out US!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:19 pm
Aussie, tomorrow is our day. Looking forward talking to you after/during the match if we're online. :)

Role Player
Poster Credit: 6
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:24 pm
Guybrush wrote:Aussie, tomorrow is our day. Looking forward talking to you after/during the match if we're online. :)

I don't understand how you guys only just beat Germany. But having said that, I don't understand how we only just beat Jordan. I mean, Jordan!

Anyway, if we lose, I'm already using Bogut as an excuse. But I do like our size. Any Patty Mills is having a great tourney.

How much will Kristic's return help you guys?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:36 pm
aussiebiedrins wrote:
Guybrush wrote:Aussie, tomorrow is our day. Looking forward talking to you after/during the match if we're online. :)

I don't understand how you guys only just beat Germany. But having said that, I don't understand how we only just beat Jordan. I mean, Jordan!

Anyway, if we lose, I'm already using Bogut as an excuse. But I do like our size. Any Patty Mills is having a great tourney.

How much will Kristic's return help you guys?

We actually lost to Germany by one point after 2 overtimes. :) We had a bad shooting game, and they were wuite lucky considering some shots that got in for them. So, it was one of those games that rarely anyhting goes well. What more to say when Kosta Perovic scored the most points (20). :) But, we also missed two best players. You could have seen how much better offense looks like when Teodosic throws his passes and assists around. With him, I could score 30 points a game. ::razz:

You have "our" guy in Alex Maric as well. :) You're lucky he couldn't play for Serbia now, he's a real good center. That's where Krstic will automatically help. Perovic, you all know what kind of a player he is. He's just too slow, he can do something good, but he can't be in for the most of the game. Macvan (3rd center) is just too small, he's more of a PF, he's build reminds me a bit of Kevin Love.
Teodosic improved offense a lot (miles better than it was), and Krstic will help mostly in rebounding (defesively mostly), he will be a first option below the basket, and he's quite good in defense as well, being a big guy that is quite mobile as well. He's a team captain also, so he means a lot. I think we'll take this one, we already lost one we shouldn't have, so I don't think we will allow ourselves same mistake again.

Though, I wish you the best of luck, and let the best team win.
Next

Return to Sports Board