The NFL thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5861
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:43 pm
Considering how bad ****'s going in Jacksonville. I wouldn't be suprised if say in 3 years time the jags plan to move there permantly (or some other team with attendance and stadium issues)

having a team outside of america isn't as grueling as a NBA team based in Europe. There's 41 road games total in the NBA season. But the Jags would only need to leave the U.k say a maximum of 3 or 4 times (considering they'd string consecutive road games together)

actually before they get a team in London. They should expand to Mexico in my opinion.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2566
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:29 pm
that's never happening - it would be a massive disadvantage. Players would get less down time, except for when they are flying but that doesn't even count. Coaches wouldn't have as much time to game plan and everyone would have such tightly packed schedules. There will be a team in LA here pretty soon (Jags probably) and the Bills will likely move to Toronto.

warriorsstepup wrote:Its a nice gesture to expand and give a chance for Europeans to watch NFL live but if that was my team that had to do that I wouldn't be too pleased, with only 16 games in the season everyone matters and every advantage matters..


Believe me, I'm not happy at all that my 9ers are loosing a home game by playing the Broncos over there this season - I'd be Irate if I was a season ticket holder! We basically only get 7 home games! That's why I say, if we are going to continue these games over there, it needs to be more balanced and not just random teams getting screwed. What if the 9ers go something like 6-2 or 7-1 at home, we suck on the road, loose to the Broncos and miss the playoffs by 1 game... I will write death threats to Goodell...

All Star
Posts: 3061
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:52 pm
JREED23 wrote:that's never happening - it would be a massive disadvantage. Players would get less down time, except for when they are flying but that doesn't even count. Coaches wouldn't have as much time to game plan and everyone would have such tightly packed schedules. There will be a team in LA here pretty soon (Jags probably) and the Bills will likely move to Toronto.

warriorsstepup wrote:Its a nice gesture to expand and give a chance for Europeans to watch NFL live but if that was my team that had to do that I wouldn't be too pleased, with only 16 games in the season everyone matters and every advantage matters..


Believe me, I'm not happy at all that my 9ers are loosing a home game by playing the Broncos over there this season - I'd be Irate if I was a season ticket holder! We basically only get 7 home games! That's why I say, if we are going to continue these games over there, it needs to be more balanced and not just random teams getting screwed. What if the 9ers go something like 6-2 or 7-1 at home, we suck on the road, loose to the Broncos and miss the playoffs by 1 game... I will write death threats to Goodell...


Yes the die hards know when their teams are getting screwed, and as you mentioned the season ticket holders will be getting screwed as well, plus the above negatives mentioned, the negatives trump the positives on this one. I see this random picking of teams playing in Europe to continue, maybe even China, :-k
User avatar
Rookie
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:41 am
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:25 pm
So does anybody else think Reivus should take what he can get this year and just play? If he holds
out this year it may be next year too. The jets seem willing to do something for him. Last I heard
he wanted 10 year 160 million and the jets offered 10 year 120 million. And I know his uncle held out
and got paid but this is different with the looming lockout.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2566
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:57 pm
mullin17 wrote:So does anybody else think Reivus should take what he can get this year and just play? If he holds
out this year it may be next year too. The jets seem willing to do something for him. Last I heard
he wanted 10 year 160 million and the jets offered 10 year 120 million. And I know his uncle held out
and got paid but this is different with the looming lockout.

He should take the money now - historically these types of hold outs don't work out in favor of the player. plus you have to figure even at 120 mil for 10 seasons - he'll be loosing 12 mil right there and his chances of getting that 160 mil after taking a year off is not good.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5861
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:51 pm
Say if NNamdi had held out. The raiders would of been inclined to pay him cause opposing quarterbacks just don't fear stanford Routt and Chris Johnson.

But if Revis continues to hold out then the Jets can realistically play hardball. The tandem of Kyle Johnson and Cromartie will be good enough if not the best combo of cornerbacks in there division.

I don't see this working out well for Revis. They need to trade him and cut there losses.
User avatar
Rookie
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:41 am
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:51 pm
[/quote]
He should take the money now - historically these types of hold outs don't work out in favor of the
player. plus you have to figure even at 120 mil for 10 seasons - he'll be loosing 12 mil
right there and his chances of getting that 160 mil after taking a year off is not good.[/quote]


Sounds like there going to get a done worked out soon. At least it made for some conflict for
"hard knocks". What do you think the afc east standings are gonna be at the finish? Anyone
but the jets have a shot?
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5861
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:01 pm
I can see 2 teams in the Afc east advancing. I don't see 1 of the teams earning the bye week. But new England and new york should advance with miami getting roughly 6-8 wins but missing out
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2566
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:56 am
mullin17 wrote:[/quote]
He should take the money now - historically these types of hold outs don't work out in favor of the
player. plus you have to figure even at 120 mil for 10 seasons - he'll be loosing 12 mil
right there and his chances of getting that 160 mil after taking a year off is not good.



Sounds like there going to get a done worked out soon. At least it made for some conflict for
"hard knocks". What do you think the afc east standings are gonna be at the finish? Anyone
but the jets have a shot?[/quote]You need to take out the / on the first quote tag.

Jets + Revis = at least 12 or 13 wins and a bye. We should do NFL standings/record predictions and compare them after the SB. Since it's like 4 am now I'll submit my predictions tomorrow.

Just to let you guys know that we'll be bringing back the annual message board awards (top poster, ROY, etc.) and we'll honor the winners of the fantasy league and pick em winners. We just have to figure some things out before we make an official announcement. I'm even thinking about making some little award sigs if the winners want to use them - I'd like some input on this before I make them but I imagine we'll make a thread for all this in the warrior's forum when the time comes.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5861
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:39 am
JREED23 wrote:
mullin17 wrote:[/quote]
He should take the money now - historically these types of hold outs don't work out in favor of the
player. plus you have to figure even at 120 mil for 10 seasons - he'll be loosing 12 mil
right there and his chances of getting that 160 mil after taking a year off is not good.



Sounds like there going to get a done worked out soon. At least it made for some conflict for
"hard knocks". What do you think the afc east standings are gonna be at the finish? Anyone
but the jets have a shot?
You need to take out the / on the first quote tag.

Jets + Revis = at least 12 or 13 wins and a bye. We should do NFL standings/record predictions and compare them after the SB. Since it's like 4 am now I'll submit my predictions tomorrow.

Just to let you guys know that we'll be bringing back the annual message board awards (top poster, ROY, etc.) and we'll honor the winners of the fantasy league and pick em winners. We just have to figure some things out before we make an official announcement. I'm even thinking about making some little award sigs if the winners want to use them - I'd like some input on this before I make them but I imagine we'll make a thread for all this in the warrior's forum when the time comes.[/quote]

Oh awesome so kind of like a PRESEASON PICKUM of NFL DIVISION STANDINGS

Kind of order of finish

NFCW: SF, SEA, ARI, STL
AFCW: OAK, SD, DEN, KC

As many combos you get correct, would be points counted at the end... I'm totes down for that!!!

I'll need to think about the other divisions, but these are the 2 i follow most closely this offseason.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2566
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:03 pm
Yeah I was even thing about predicting records and the post season, like:

NFC West:
1st. 49ers: 11-5 lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs.
2nd. Seahawks 8-8
3rd. Cards 7-9
4th. Rams 5-11

That's just a sample, I'd like to wait until we get a little closer to the season to submit my predictions.

Maybe you get one point for every division standing you get correct, 1 point for every record, 1 point for every play off prediction - winner and looser so If I had the 9ers getting beat by the Vikings and that's what happened then it'd go down as 2 points. An extra point for the conference championships and 3 extra points for the SB winner... what do you guys think? We'd still do the pick ums of course - this would just be strictly preseason predictions.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2421
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:18 pm
I'm up for it. Did you mean to do it for entire league? It would be a little bit hard to calculate all the points.
Image
Image
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2566
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:30 pm
I don't think it would be that hard... at the end you just count up your divisional standings, records, playoffs and SB...

I know this is a little off topic but since I already mentioned it here... This is a quick draft I just made for the award sigs:
Image
Tell me what you guys think - I don't want to make em all up if nobody will use them...
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5861
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:40 pm
Only issue i have with predicting the correct nfl divison standing is that the total of all 32 teams would have to equal 256 wins n 256 losses 32 teams muliply by 16 week schedule = 512 results.

I think the division standings and a point rewarded for each correct position would be the best. I'd also be keen to do playoff results as well (have people successfully pick the playoff rounds & match winners) but picking the correct score might be asking a bit too much.

I know Mr Crackerz has run a seperate playoff pickum comp. But predicting it in preseason could def be fun. 1 or 2 point if u get a wildcard playoff team participant correct. And then after the wildcard week u'd have to successfully pick the next rounds all the way to the Superbowl.

Seperate stickied thread for this game JReed is a must. Just to encourage anyone to participate who doesn't have the time to check this thread daily.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2566
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:45 pm
OK well how about you work out the rules Pawno, since it seems as though you have thought this out a lot more than myself. Instead of having a separate sticky for just this game - how about a sticky for both of the NFL games and just leave this thread open for news and general discussion?
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest