Shaq, Celtics negotiating deal

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:57 am
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtTKtgiZvCqUDlDTab51yti8vLYF?slug=ap-celtics-shaq

AP source: Shaq, Celtics negotiating deal

The Boston Celtics are making progress on a deal that would bring Shaquille O’Neal(notes) to the defending Eastern Conference champions, a person with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press.

The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the deal was not yet final.

Earlier Tuesday, O’Neal said he will be in the league next season and would rather retire than play internationally.

The 38-year-old O’Neal spent last season with the Cleveland Cavaliers. He won three NBA titles with the Los Angeles Lakers and another with Miami.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I reckon this could be a major move by the Celts. Shaq can still be a force at times, when healthy ofcourse. They added Jermaine, who himself can still be a force, and if they now get Shaq they are among the biggest and strongest teams in the nba. The thing is how many minutes does each of the Centers get. Unless Jermaine is backup to Garnett at PF, it will be him, Shaq and Perkins at Center. Perkins has been developing well over the last few years and it would wrong to replace him as starting Center or even take a fair amount of minutes away from him by two aging players that will not grow like he will.

I also don't see Rasheed Wallace on the Celts roster, yet also not on the free agent list either. Not sure if he is still signed with them or not, but if he does return there, they'll have a potent PF/C rotation with experience galore.

Think Shaq would be a better fit in Miami, as they could use another Center and Joel Anthony and Big Z won't do much. Interesting to see how much money Shaq will sign for, but unless there's a sign and trade with Cleveland, he has to take the vet's minimum

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:16 am
Rasheed Wallace retired bro...

Geesh thought you would of been all over that news (you probably in Portugal when it happened. too busy enjoying yourself on holidays)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:18 am
Must've been when I was on holidays, because I didn't hear that before

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:51 am
Dang Celtics looking like they got the "nursing home allstar", they are too old, the rest of the league should run circle around them, but something says other wise. If they stay healthy they could make noise, but Shaq has little impact, i mean 38 yrs old is too old for someone that big.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:57 am
warriorsstepup wrote:Dang Celtics looking like they got the "nursing home allstar", they are too old, the rest of the league should run circle around them, but something says other wise. If they stay healthy they could make noise, but Shaq has little impact, i mean 38 yrs old is too old for someone that big.

Unless there is injuries to a few of the Celtics players, that team should win some 55 games again this season. If they are all healthy in the playoffs, they could win it all again. Experience can be a huge factor, especially when that experience can still handle itself. You look at the Miami older players, Ilgauskas being the one that comes to mind more than any of the others, and they are more broken than the likes of Shaq and Jermaine.

The Celtics could really rampage over teams if it all clicks, which it never does, but if they click enough, they can definately be the champions.

I personally want to see Shaq retire. He is such a gold digger, picking his teams now to see if he can get another championship. It's the third team in a row he's done that, having done that with Phoenix and Cleveland as well

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:05 am
migya wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:Dang Celtics looking like they got the "nursing home allstar", they are too old, the rest of the league should run circle around them, but something says other wise. If they stay healthy they could make noise, but Shaq has little impact, i mean 38 yrs old is too old for someone that big.

Unless there is injuries to a few of the Celtics players, that team should win some 55 games again this season. If they are all healthy in the playoffs, they could win it all again. Experience can be a huge factor, especially when that experience can still handle itself. You look at the Miami older players, Ilgauskas being the one that comes to mind more than any of the others, and they are more broken than the likes of Shaq and Jermaine.

The Celtics could really rampage over teams if it all clicks, which it never does, but if they click enough, they can definately be the champions.

I personally want to see Shaq retire. He is such a gold digger, picking his teams now to see if he can get another championship. It's the third team in a row he's done that, having done that with Phoenix and Cleveland as well

I think shaq is more a attention whore, but as far as Celtics go I can't forget they still have Rondo, Big Baby to go along with KG and the rest of the older cats, I see the Celtics being a top 4 team in the east, but Shaq won't make too much noise, and I don't think they are too successful during the playoffs with teams like the Magic, Heat, Atlanta, still strong.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:12 am
warriorsstepup wrote:
migya wrote:

I think shaq is more a attention whore, but as far as Celtics go I can't forget they still have Rondo, Big Baby to go along with KG and the rest of the older cats, I see the Celtics being a top 4 team in the east, but Shaq won't make too much noise, and I don't think they are too successful during the playoffs with teams like the Magic, Heat, Atlanta, still strong.

I just hope for the Celts sake, if they do in fact dign Shaq, that he isn't more of a negative than a positive, which there is a risk of that happening. He is definately an attention whore (probably a real whore in real life :mrgreen: ) and he might get selfish and take away from the rest of that team. He might say things to the media which put certain players, coach or aspects of the team down and that will not do anything good for that team either.

They do have alltime stars on that team now, just stars that are past it. I do think they can beat any team, with or without Shaq. They do look like they have more options in total than any other team, even Miami, which really only has their three superstars and MMiller, maybe Haslem, but no other player really is any good, especially offensively. Lakers do have quite a few guys that can score a heap and have the ability to take over games, but the Celts have former stars that still can rise to the occassion sometimes. Imagine if Shaq explodes in a playoff series, even if just for two games, dunking like he used to, as that is really all he has to do and no one player can stop him from doing that really. Jermaine likewise, he still has capability and can come up with big games. The big three are still there and rondo, to me, is there best player, has been for two seasons. They have guns that's for sure and though some of them haven't fired much for a few years, they could still fire big powerful shots

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:23 am
i can verify DIESEL is a whore.

Anyone who uses twitter and follows him, only needs to look at his 140 characters to realize his a attention seeker,

But in saying that... his my BOI, WHORE AWAY BIG FELLA>>> you bring a smile to my dial everytime.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:47 pm
PAWNO wrote:i can verify DIESEL is a whore.

Anyone who uses twitter and follows him, only needs to look at his 140 characters to realize his a attention seeker,

But in saying that... his my BOI, WHORE AWAY BIG FELLA>>> you bring a smile to my dial everytime.

More confirmation that Shaq is a Male-Whore, too many levels to count, Shaq and Gilbert's fiance ? She ended up having baby I think this year, gilbert you better double check. Don't question the source, lol.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/1 ... 54497.html

Rumors continue to swirl that Shaquille O'Neal and Laura Govan, the fiance of Wizards star Gilbert Arenas, are embroiled in an affair. The web site Young, Black & Fabulous reported last week that Shaq and Govan had become involved, posting alleged emails between Govan and the 7'1" center. One of the emails, allegedly from Govan, said she would meet with Shaq "as long as u taste me and make me cum LOL." See all of the emails here.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:29 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
PAWNO wrote:i can verify DIESEL is a whore.

More confirmation that Shaq is a Male-Whore, too many levels to count, Shaq and Gilbert's fiance ? She ended up having baby I think this year, gilbert you better double check. Don't question the source, lol.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/1 ... 54497.html

Rumors continue to swirl that Shaquille O'Neal and Laura Govan, the fiance of Wizards star Gilbert Arenas, are embroiled in an affair. The web site Young, Black & Fabulous reported last week that Shaq and Govan had become involved, posting alleged emails between Govan and the 7'1" center. One of the emails, allegedly from Govan, said she would meet with Shaq "as long as u taste me and make me cum LOL." See all of the emails here.

Fukin funny shiit. These rich people just have so much excess and time that they have to entertain themselves with new stuff. Getting into cheating on your spouse, extreme sex acts and so forth is very likely with many of them

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:58 am
Shaquille O'Neal a Celtic?

So this is where Shaquille O'Neal(notes) comes to hide.

Actually, he's not hiding at all. He's not flying low to the ground and he's not slumming. Short of zooming back to Los Angeles (hard to do on a burned bridge) or Miami (ditto), he's signed with the most storied franchise this league has. One of the more popular, one of the most prominent and one of two that you last saw playing official hoops a month and a half ago. The Celtics.

Shaq in Boston, sportin' the green. Chasing that ring, we'd assume. Chasing down prominence, again. From Kobe to Wade to LeBron. Now in with a series of like-minded fogies. Boston? I suppose it makes sense.

Kendrick Perkins(notes), Boston's dutiful defensive-minded pivot man, will be out until at least January. The team signed Jermaine O'Neal(notes), but (hopefully) with the knowledge that his 2009-10 rebirth appeared to slide closer toward the spires of flukedom than an actual recharge. Rasheed Wallace(notes) is trade bait, Shelden Williams(notes) is no more. The C's need a center.

And it's almost sad that they're turning to Shaq.

Because O'Neal, at this point, is probably better off working as an entertainer of sorts than someone who should be hedging on Mike Conley(notes) Jr. on some random Wednesday in January.

You saw those games last year. Shaq didn't really look that bad. He looked like ... Shaq. Big guy, one move, two pivots, two hands. To the naked eye, O'Neal looked like a late-30s version of himself. He looked like what you would expect.

It's just that all these raw stats tell you that the Cavs were so, so much better with O'Neal on the pine. That when things weren't Shaq-centric, Cleveland tended to dominate. The easy answer to that? Don't pass Shaq the ball. Don't make him Shaq-centric. To these eyes, Cleveland didn't. And yet, the team's offense stunk with him out there. Tom Haberstroh nailed the best part of it last week:

LeBron with Shaq last year: Cavs +3.4 pts per possession. LeBron without Shaq? +15.7. That experiment was fun wasn't it?

That's per 100 possessions, and with the average game working around 93 or 94 possessions, nearly 16 points is a pretty big deal. That's not an insignificant number. I watched the games, same as you did. I'm not going to pretend to know something, some significant reason, as to why it didn't flow. Kobe Bryant(notes) seemed perfectly adept at driving the lane with Shaq around, same with Dwyane Wade(notes). Why couldn't LeBron James(notes)?

I've no idea, but it didn't work. And when all else fails, I tend to send the stink-eye toward the big fella in his late 30s, and not the best player in the game.

Boston isn't exactly flush with drivers. The Celtics make their hay on the defensive end and try to hold things toward the realm of the mediocre offensively. There's no superstar for Shaq to co-align with in Boston. Just a bunch of like-minded geezers shooting for another ring.

With every move he makes — from Orlando to El Lay to Miami to Phoenix to Cleveland to wherever — Shaq's press conferences get less and less prominent. They don't mean as much. He's not changing any franchises. He's not just some replacement, but he's not the man you clear your cap for on the hope that you can sign him. It's an odd, uncomfortable-to-anyone-but-Shaq situation.

And it's because he's, above all, an entertainer. Not a big man. Not a minutes sopper. A song-and-dance man, so to speak. That's just how Shaq is now.

The problem is that, as uncomfortable as it may have been to see one generation's best song-and-dance men slumming on Cannonball Run or some such tripe, athletes don't have the same bit of leeway. It's still about performance and not presence. So while it might be kind of cool to see Shaq in Boston, it's not like seeing Liza Minnelli on "Arrested Development," or Mel Brooks' cameo on "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

This is what Shaq's backed himself into, for better or worse. His skiff is more "ha-ha" that "clear out, and dump it inside." The man still takes the lumps and tries to win. But on a winter night, with the basic cable running? He's more ABC Family than a TNT double-header.

I'm not asking the man to retire. Nor am I going to waste your time trying to assume how things will work for him in Boston. I'm guessing things will work poorly, based on how it has gone over the last half-decade with this four-time champion.

Shaquille O'Neal in Boston makes sense in all the rational terms. He's a star, he's a veteran and the Celtics badly need a center. If they fall short again in June (or May or even April), O'Neal won't be the reason why.

But, outside of interest in seeing this legend wearing those legendary colors, it's nothing to get too excited about. Those days are over, and Johan Petro(notes) may have been the better hire. Good thing Shaq lowered his price.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

There is merit in this. Shaq is past it and just someone who attracts attention, so maybe the Celts will make more money this season with him there. So Shaq signed for 1.4 million a year for two years.

I think they should have tried hard to get Dampier, as he rebounds and defends real well still and would have fit in well there

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:07 pm
So its official Shaq finally a Celtic, with Perkins out with injury until January guess Shaq will have to be more invloved than I expected.

Now to more important Shaq items like what will be his new nickname.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... q-nickname

BOSTON (AP)—Now that he’s signed with the Boston Celtics, Shaquille O’Neal(notes) is looking for a nickname that will fit in with his new city.

The Celtics’ website trumpeted the signing of “The Big Shamrock” this week, when O’Neal signed a deal that will reportedly pay him the veterans’ minimum over the next two seasons.

O’Neal wrote on Twitter: “hello green town. ok what u got 4 nicknames? make um good.”

In a variety of online polls, “The Big Shamrock” and “The Big Leprechaun” are leading the way along with “The Green Monster.” Also receiving votes: “The Jolly Green Giant,” “The Shamroq,” “Red Auershaq,” “Shaqachusetts” and “Tip-in O’Neal.”

No word yet from O’Neal on whether he has a preference.

O’Neal has been known as “Shaq-Daddy,” “The Big Shaqtus” in Phoenix and “The Big Witness” in Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:53 pm
The Jolly Green Giant is a funny one.

the only nickname Shaq deserves now is Big Gold Digger. The last few years he has just been going from team to team looking to win championships and it diminishes his career to me. You never saw players like Magic, Bird, Jordan, even Isiah Thomas and, more of a good example, Stockton, who never even won a championship, do that. I hold loyalty and integrity far more highly than a real star going for a championship on an already great team

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:07 pm
migya wrote:The Jolly Green Giant is a funny one.

the only nickname Shaq deserves now is Big Gold Digger. The last few years he has just been going from team to team looking to win championships and it diminishes his career to me. You never saw players like Magic, Bird, Jordan, even Isiah Thomas and, more of a good example, Stockton, who never even won a championship, do that. I hold loyalty and integrity far more highly than a real star going for a championship on an already great team

Migya how about the green gold digger that's pretty fitting. If he had just retired say this year at 38 then his legacy would still be strong but stretching it this far is tarnishing his legacy, he does not have it any more. Shaq one of the greatest, he already established that, but would have looked better had he retired.

But Jordon did go to the Wizards, lol, he looked so old, sometimes I forget about that.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:20 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
migya wrote:The Jolly Green Giant is a funny one.

Migya how about the green gold digger that's pretty fitting. If he had just retired say this year at 38 then his legacy would still be strong but stretching it this far is tarnishing his legacy, he does not have it any more. Shaq one of the greatest, he already established that, but would have looked better had he retired.

But Jordon did go to the Wizards, lol, he looked so old, sometimes I forget about that.

Jordan still looked among the best when he was with the Wiz. The way he looked, he still was a top 10 player, though not the best like was, but he was 40 years old. Coming back still tarnished his legacy and to me was a big mistake, a showing of how Jordan just could not let the game go in his mind.

Shaq however, hasn't been a star for at least three years, up to five really, and going to the Celts, where he might not even be the starting Center the whole season, is stupid. He obviously doesn't want to let the game go himself, that's why I think he could stay until his 40 years old or even more. Hope he does well this season, like being a real part of the Celts team, but he doesn't deserve another championship and certainly is no star now

Return to NBA Forum