Charlotte and Dallas make a trade

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:14 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I see Dampier getting waived, and signing with the Heat or Celtics for the vet minimum.

And what a pickup for either team. I like what Dampier gives in rebounding and shotblocking. The guy was very productive and effective in limited time for the Mavs the last two years at least. If the Heat get him, he could even start sometimes and give them a real big lineup

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:12 am
bigstrads wrote:
Quazza wrote:why don't they just keep him and play him then?

LOL, well you would think that but I guess they just might not want too! 8)

Alot of teams do it man, just want to off load for someone for someone they dont want either..........just to get a deal done.

Not really... Every deal is different. Al Jefferson's deal is a good one for Minny, because they save A LOT of money (and I'm not talking only regarding the cap) and get two first rounders to speed up their rebuilding (how they use it is another story).

Chandler's deal... it's probably done as a favor to him, as Charlotte was only interested in him as an expirer. So there's nothing wrong with trading him to a contender so he plays a role there and stays happy while the Bobcats don't add any new salaries. Sounds like the kind of deal the player's agent looked for, more than the teams.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:18 am
bigstrads wrote:
Quazza wrote:so how or why does Dampier get waived

I'm just not clear on the rules around that. If they waive him, they still have to pay him don't they ? How does Charlotte benefit from that?

Well, he just gets waived.............they will still have to pay him for the remainder of the contract theyve taken on but thats only for this year, as hes an expirer at the end of this season.

So thats what they get out of it, 13 mil coming off their cap.............although, Chandler is also an expirer this year...........so maybe they were just looking to get Carroll and Ajinca off their books this year as well.

Dont get why all these teams are making cap saving moves, f*cking Al Jefferson to Utah for draft picks!!!??? what the hell are all these teams going to use the cap space for??...............ooh thats right, they wont.

Normally this is true, HOWEVER, Dampier's contract this last year was un-guaranteed so the team can waive him and get the cap space IMMEDIATELY
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:37 am
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

I'm just not clear on the rules around that. If they waive him, they still have to pay him don't they ? How does Charlotte benefit from that?

Well, he just gets waived.............they will still have to pay him for the remainder of the contract theyve taken on but thats only for this year, as hes an expirer at the end of this season.

So thats what they get out of it, 13 mil coming off their cap.............although, Chandler is also an expirer this year...........so maybe they were just looking to get Carroll and Ajinca off their books this year as well.

Dont get why all these teams are making cap saving moves, f*cking Al Jefferson to Utah for draft picks!!!??? what the hell are all these teams going to use the cap space for??...............ooh thats right, they wont.

Normally this is true, HOWEVER, Dampier's contract this last year was un-guaranteed so the team can waive him and get the cap space IMMEDIATELY

Ahh.............well that would REALLY answer Quazza's question then. :D
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:15 pm
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

ahhhhh ok, see that makes sense to me now lol. Lets sign Damp here on the cheap (lol)
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:20 pm
Quazza wrote:
ahhhhh ok, see that makes sense to me now lol. Lets sign Damp here on the cheap (lol)

In related news, I just took a BIG PIECE OF USELESS SH*T.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:08 pm
I'd sign your pooh for the league min if it were 7ft

Would have to way easy over 19 kuricks
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:07 pm
Quazza wrote:I'd sign your pooh for the league min if it were 7ft

I wouldn't. We already tried with Perovic. Didn't work.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:12 am
bigstrads wrote:

Dampier's 13 million this year wasn't guaranteed. So they actually pay nothing. Dallas just wanted to try and get something out of it (which is why there were actually rumors of LBJ joining Dirk. Coulda waived Damp and Dirk would've taken more of a pay cut when he re-signed.). They were loking for a team that wanted instant cap relief, although taking on Carroll's contract as well as what's-his-name's contract kinda sucks for them.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Previous

Return to NBA Forum