The Football (Soccer, In The Colonies) Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:07 pm
Netherlands complaining after the game to the ref.... classless pigs! Spain played their dirty style and still prevailed. Fcuk Webb, Netherlands... this is España's Win!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:08 pm
bigstrads wrote:Well there you go..............can you guys shut up moaning and enjoy a moment now?

Nope. I'm starting my boycott right away. I'm incredibly happy, enjoying the moment... but everything I've said about the game still remains true. F*ck soccer.

Now let me enjoy this moment, because it may not happen again... :wink:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:17 pm
so for Bigs and TMC I watched the entire match. I have to admit... it was not easy. I have not read this thread to see your guys thoughts but it was pretty brutally boring. I stuck with it till the end but not sure I will ever do that again. I guess I have just learned it is not the sport for me.

Congrats to spain and TMC and Mr. C
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:29 pm
bada wrote:so for Bigs and TMC I watched the entire match. I have to admit... it was not easy. I have not read this thread to see your guys thoughts but it was pretty brutally boring. I stuck with it till the end but not sure I will ever do that again. I guess I have just learned it is not the sport for me.

Thanks, bro.

I have to say I've learned the same thing. It wasn't boring, but so painful (in its purest sense) to watch... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:15 pm
TMC wrote:
bada wrote:so for Bigs and TMC I watched the entire match. I have to admit... it was not easy. I have not read this thread to see your guys thoughts but it was pretty brutally boring. I stuck with it till the end but not sure I will ever do that again. I guess I have just learned it is not the sport for me.

Thanks, bro.

I have to say I've learned the same thing. It wasn't boring, but so painful (in its purest sense) to watch... :wink:

yeah, thanks bada. I stopped posting the final ten minutes as the family erupted with hugs and high-fives and still nervously hoping for that clock to stop clicking. Too bad i wasnt in spain. where the majority of my family still resides.

But yeah, it was wasnt boring for me, just so frustrating. Its over. We won. I am happy to say the USA and Spain are the two best sports nations in the worlds. No contest!
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:29 pm
Soccer is a sport of moments... there might be 6-7 moments worth watching in a 100 minute match ... This is the last WC I'll be watching as well .. boring as hell and I'll be damned if I give FIFA any boost on the Nielsen ratings!!!

Still a great sport to play though. Officially up there with baseball as most boring though ... [baseball is the worst because a players athleticism matters about 3 times a game]
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:49 pm
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Well there you go..............can you guys shut up moaning and enjoy a moment now?

Nope. I'm starting my boycott right away. I'm incredibly happy, enjoying the moment... but everything I've said about the game still remains true. F*ck soccer.

Now let me enjoy this moment, because it may not happen again... :wink:

Well Congrats Espana!! and Congrats Daniel!!!
They controlled the ball well and were the best team.

I enjoyed watching the games. Not as much as basketball, but it brought back a lot of memories for me playing soccer.
I loved going back and forth between ABC and channel 14 (Univision?) just to hear the difference in excitement levels of the announcers. I'd watch the World Cup again. casually...

I kept thinking about how they could spice up the game...
you know, maybe moats on either side of the field with sharks in them with friken lazer beams attached to their heads.

seriously though....
I wonder if less players on the field ( w/ perhaps unlimited substitutions) would open the game up a bit...
more fast breaks... more sprinting because you know you are going to get a break.

what if they just drew an area around the goal that the opposing team cannot enter until the ball enters that area.
(wait, does the smaller box already serve that function?)
perhaps that would eliminate a lot of these borderline offsides calls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:43 pm
Soccer fields should be 50 yards long.
Players should wear helmets and pads.
Tell me you wouldn't watch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:52 pm
Beast Mode wrote:Soccer fields should be 50 yards long.

They have that... its called hockey!
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:09 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Yes but I want balls flying everywhere. In everyones face. No homo, even thats un-nohomoable.

Imagine the top 10 on SportsCenter filled with soccer balls ricochet'ing off of players heads at 75 MPH and bouncing into goals ... I was thinking more like Lacrosse mixed with soccer ... Lacroccer. Idk, but shortening of the field [even though it takes away the beauty of the angles and all that] is the only way soccer would ever appeal to mainstream USA.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:12 pm
Beast Mode wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Yes but I want balls flying everywhere. In everyones face. No homo, even thats un-nohomoable.

Imagine the top 10 on SportsCenter filled with soccer balls ricochet'ing off of players heads at 75 MPH and bouncing into goals ... I was thinking more like Lacrosse mixed with soccer ... Lacroccer. Idk, but shortening of the field [even though it takes away the beauty of the angles and all that] is the only way soccer would ever appeal to mainstream USA.

I think you are thinking too much on this. They have indoor soccer leagues which have this. clearly they havent caught on.... they dont have pads, but it is physical and on turf.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:19 pm
Thanks, Pat.

You know, I don't think there's anything wrong with the sport itself. It's just it's nature, some teams can play well and win, some have to use other weapons. And, at times, games are only tactical showings, with nothing to entertain the regular viewers...

But the fact that goals are so scarce is what makes the sport so, in a way, compelling, because everybody knows how much those moments are worth. Any changes to that would make it a different sport, and I'm not sure it'd be much better.

And precisely for that you have to use all the available measures to avoid refs deciding the outcome of games. Yesterday's game was an example, three dutch players should have been ejected during the game, so imagine if the game ends in a tie and they had won on penalties... Sometimes, refereeing is not only about critical plays on areas, but about calling the right fouls and showing the right cards.

Yesterday's refereeing was the WORST I've ever seen in a final, in any sport. And I can assure nothing will happen to the ref, and no measures will be taken. That's what pisses me, and lots of other people, off, that it's just a matter of luck if you win or not, and your hard work may not be taken into consideration.

btw, I'm happy a team like ours won, due to the style of play, instead of a dirty team like Holland was (and, dare I say, I'm quite disappointed with the kind of gameplan they followed, because that's not the dutch style at all). I've got nothing against teams not playing an open game, not going to exchange blows against a superior team... but you have to use your weapons according to the rules, and not take advantage of it because the ref will be afraid to apply it and "ruin" a game by sending people off.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that Holland's gameplan was disappointing... but the ref is the one to blame for allowing it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:30 pm
As an example of what can't be allowed, and should carry an inmediate ban of the ref for any kind of further competition at the pro level:

Brutal.

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:00 am
**** you, harold webb, you fucked up a good game, stupid mofo!
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:05 am
TMC wrote:As an example of what can't be allowed, and should carry an inmediate ban of the ref for any kind of further competition at the pro level:

Brutal.

PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board