The Football (Soccer, In The Colonies) Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:30 am
bada wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:TMC, lemme tell you a story. The all Mighty NFL, which granted is better than the other leagues is very shady as well.

In early 2002, when the best team in the AFL (the raiders; the rams were the best team by far in the league) were playing the New England Patriots, I jumped joy seeing charles woodson knock tom brady and the ball causing a fumble. This meant the raiders were going to win the game and head into the AFC championship game. But wait, the refs decide to huddle up and discuss the play. Ref Walt Coleman (who i will always remember, and BTW will probably never do any games in Oakland) goes to the monitor, says brady was in throwing motion, and reverses the call. Brady has another chance. This time, vinitari goes and hits a game tying field goal and later a game winning field goal after they win the coin toss in overtime.

The tuck rule? it was supposedly created in 1999, a good 2.5 years before this incident. Funny thing is, no one really knew what the hell this rule was. It really doesn't make sense. I always thought it was a conspiracy that due to the fact that the yankees of baseball couldnt win the world series on the first sporting event post September 11, that the league needed to fix the NFL to make some shitty unknown team win the Superbowl. Hell, it would be "Un-American" of you to root against a team named the "Patriots". Hell, the "Yanks" just lost on a bloop single, lets make sure the "Patriots" (america's team) succeed. Its probably a reach, but as a raider fan seeing a clear fumble turned over something that makes no sense, i believed something was up.

See TMC, the patriots were 3-4 when the Yanks were eliminated from the World Series. They went on to win the Superbowl with only one loss after that (against an amazing Rams team, which they later came to beat in the superbowl) . I think they had some help from the league (who knows, maybe the league allowed them to spy on them and got so use to it, they eventually got caught and redflagged, leading to spygate.

Speaking of that superbowl which started my hatred for the Pats, I thought it was funny how the NFL allowed the pats to go as a "team" while making a fool of the Rams for going as individuals. Although i am fine with going as a team, i think someone should have told the Rams that the NFL impromply changed the rule to cater the Patriots "request". That was absolute B.S. I mean, it is just asking for casual fans to root for the team that is all for "team" and "unity" versus the team that only thinks about individuals.

Here is a good article on Refs in the NFL and where they are placed. BTW, read the piece on Ed Hochili. The article was written just a couple months prior before his SECOND (and more famous) incident between the Broncos and Chargers. Maybe it might help solve Hochili's rationale for giving the Broncos a break the second time around.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=3462384

Sorry, this is a long rant, but i got a lot more goodies.

one of your worst posts ever Mr. C

Beat me to it, Bada. ::lol:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:38 am
Beast Mode wrote:Bigs, you're forgetting this event only happens once every 4 years. It's not like in B-Ball where we're like... aww well we always got next game. No. Everytime the refs make a mistake its like making a mistake in the olympics. You would think that for an event like this, Fifa would do everything in their power to get every call right. Obviously they don't care enough, so why should we? I'm a fan of soccer too [playing it] and the occasional 10 seconds of the game on TV where it's interesting.... but it's already boring enough to watch.... compound that with the Ref's missing every single call and to hell with the entire sh*t.

Well said, Beast. It's not that hard to fix, but they don't want to. So to hell with it...

btw, I still love playing soccer, and I'm not planning on stopping that (although I only do it when I go back home, which means a game or two each 4 or 5 months). I still keep that love for the game.

But I'm talking about playing the game. Watching it is, at times (not every game, of course), boring as hell (I even fell asleep during the first half of the Spain vs Portugal match... I'm not joking) and if they don't even care about fixing ref mistakes that give an incredibly unfair advantage to certain teams, it makes no sense to keep watching something that's only a source of frustration. I actually have reached that point of "I don't f*cking care what happens"... So, if I can't even enjoy wins, what's the point?.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:59 am
my friend from Holland called today... he may be converting me... right now it's 1-nil to the prisoners in oranje.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:20 pm
COME ON DUTCH!
I bitterly hate Uruguay after the Ghana game.
~LilBallerx~

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:15 am
I'm officially on the bandwagon... go Holland!!

sorry TMC! :mrgreen:

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:29 am
Money Morrow wrote:I'm officially on the bandwagon... go Holland!!

I'm not in this thread, you know... :mrgreen:

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:35 am
TMC wrote:

C'mon TMC, its our country... its our culture. You gotta watch the game man. I've never had a sports team win ANYTHING since i was born. That is 23 freaking years. Spain has the chance to end that spell. I say go watch the game, and flip off FIFA right after.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:43 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
TMC wrote:

C'mon TMC, its our country... its our culture. You gotta watch the game man. I've never had a sports team win ANYTHING since i was born. That is 23 freaking years. Spain has the chance to end that spell. I say go watch the game, and flip off FIFA right after.

Actually, I'm even more pissed at FIFA... I didn't see yesterday's game, but I did the highlights today... and the dutch's second goal also is illegal, as there's a guy offsides in the way of the shot (and I do think he touches it a lil'). Soooo... another mistake, another team back home because of it.

Sorry, but I've had enough...
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:21 am
TMC wrote:Actually, I'm even more pissed at FIFA... I didn't see yesterday's game, but I did the highlights today... and the dutch's second goal also is illegal, as there's a guy offsides in the way of the shot (and I do think he touches it a lil'). Soooo... another mistake, another team back home because of it.

Sorry, but I've had enough...

Holland's first goal was illegal? how so?

the second one.. the Dutch guy was ahead of the ball but I believe there was a defender behind him...
is that not the rule? or does that change if he is in the box?

He definitely touched the ball as it went by and altered the shot.... I might have to watch the replay again...

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:29 am
no the second goal if I remember corrected hit the defenders leg into the goal. The guy didnt look like he touched it at all.

Spain vs Netherland final please. And then I'm rooting for Spain. cuz.....idk
~LilBallerx~

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:33 am
Money Morrow wrote:Holland's first goal was illegal? how so?

The first one was perfectly legal, and pretty amazing, I might add...

Money Morrow wrote:the second one.. the Dutch guy was ahead of the ball but I believe there was a defender behind him...
is that not the rule? or does that change if he is in the box?

He definitely touched the ball as it went by and altered the shot.... I might have to watch the replay again...

The dutch guy that touched (or tried to, doesn't really matter) the ball was half-body ahead of the last defender, and in the line of sight of the goalie (it wouldn't have mattered if he were offsides, but not close to the play). That's offsides, even if it were only an arm... And no, it doesn't change if he's in the box.

PS: Love the new sig, btw... :mrgreen:
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:46 am
Such a huge game today. Torres is not starting today and will be replaced by Pedro as they run a 4-5-1. Hopefully Spain is able to open up their game more now that they will face a team not stacking 10 in the box. I think with 5 midfielders with the class Spain has they can control the midfield and thus the game. Frustrate Germany with possession and make them force opportunities. Although this German team is very disciplined. Let's go Spain!
Get Money. Get Paid.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:03 am
I thought you were not watching anymore TMC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:07 am
bada wrote:I thought you were not watching anymore TMC

I am not watching. I saw the highlights of yesterday's game while I had breakfast, but that's it. :wink:
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:12 am
I'm off to watch the game. I hope this one will go through without referee's big mistakes.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board