Phil Jackson: "I'm leaning towards retiring."

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:50 pm
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5320083

Do you see it happening? Do you see him retiring? He said he'd officially come out with it by June 27, for the sake of the team so they can find a new coach if he does opt to retire.

If so, who's his replacement? I'm thinking one of his assistants... like Brian Shaw.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:05 pm
xbay wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5320083

Do you see it happening? Do you see him retiring? He said he'd officially come out with it by June 27, for the sake of the team so they can find a new coach if he does opt to retire.

If so, who's his replacement? I'm thinking one of his assistants... like Brian Shaw.

If he leaves Shaw is DEFINATELY his replacement. This is why you did not see Shaw interview... because teams know they are wasting their time because he is the heir apparent.

I dont see Phil leaving though. I think he will return to see if he can complete his 4th three-peat
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:21 pm
Yeah, I remember Phil appointed Shaw as his successor about a year ago or so.

Really depends on his health. We'll find out if the "tests" are positive enough for him to return.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:28 pm
do you think its possible this team does something where Phil only has to coach home games and playoffs? maybe someone like shaw coaches the team on the road, and phil at home. It would be something which allows a transition year for the lakers so once Phil leaves for good, there is that familiarity in place.

I think that would be an ideal situation for the lakers.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:34 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:do you think its possible this team does something where Phil only has to coach home games and playoffs? maybe someone like shaw coaches the team on the road, and phil at home. It would be something which allows a transition year for the lakers so once Phil leaves for good, there is that familiarity in place.

I doubt it. Phil wants to get paid... and the Lakers aren't going to pay him the money he wants, especially if he's only working part time.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:do you think its possible this team does something where Phil only has to coach home games and playoffs? maybe someone like shaw coaches the team on the road, and phil at home. It would be something which allows a transition year for the lakers so once Phil leaves for good, there is that familiarity in place.

I have heard that debated about a month ago. If it would work with any coach and team, it would be Jackson and the Lakers. The road trips are really hard on Phil and I have no doubt he would return if he could only coach home games or even just some home games and then be in full force for the playoffs.

Very different approach for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:06 pm
bada wrote:

I have heard that debated about a month ago. If it would work with any coach and team, it would be Jackson and the Lakers. The road trips are really hard on Phil and I have no doubt he would return if he could only coach home games or even just some home games and then be in full force for the playoffs.

Very different approach for sure.

yeah, I heard someone saying today on ESPN that its the roadtrips that make it tough on him. The playoffs wouldn't be bad cuz the NBA gives them 2-3 days rest in between through each game. It would be interesting to see if he goes for his 4th 3-peat
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:08 pm
That's one lucky Son of a Bitch to get Jordan and Kobe...
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:17 pm
first off wrote:That's one lucky Son of a Bitch to get Jordan and Kobe...

true, but i think people think its JUST kobe and Jordan that got him the rings. People forget that kobe and jordan also had him as their coach. We will never know, but would Kobe or Jordan have 11 rings combine without Phil? There is something about the Zen master that makes the great ones consistently win.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:41 am
I definitely can see him retiring... just not this year. :mrgreen:

Nah, he's just playing the "zen master", "I'm better than all of you" angle... looking interesting, adding some spice to the offseason and forcing the Lakers hand to have even more power in the team. But he'll be back.

I see him retaring after next season if he gets another ring. Two more seasons if not.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:58 am
Appears that Brian Shaw is going to be the next coach in Cleveland (he has been making calls to put together his staff).... this can only mean one of two things... or BOTH.

Phil Jackson is returning
LeBron is staying in Cle

Knowing that Phil only has one year left I cant imagine Shaw leaving LA for Cleveland without knowing LeBron is staying.
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:28 pm
Byron Scott accepts the Cavs' coaching offer
~LilBallerx~

All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:49 pm
So by adding up the last two posts, I've come to the conclusion that LeBron is not staying!

Go me!
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:59 pm
bada wrote:Appears that Brian Shaw is going to be the next coach in Cleveland (he has been making calls to put together his staff).... this can only mean one of two things... or BOTH.

Phil Jackson is returning
LeBron is staying in Cle

Knowing that Phil only has one year left I cant imagine Shaw leaving LA for Cleveland without knowing LeBron is staying.

Beast Mode wrote: So by adding up the last two posts, I've come to the conclusion that LeBron is not staying!

Go me!
:-s :-s :-s
~LilBallerx~

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:11 pm
From NBA:

Los Angeles Lakers Head Coach Phil Jackson has decided to return to coach the team for the 2010-11 season, it was announced today.

“Count me in,” said Jackson. “After a couple weeks of deliberation, it is time to get back to the challenge of putting together a team that can defend its title in the 2010-11 season. It’ll be the last stand for me, and I hope a grand one.”

Jackson, who most recently guided the Lakers to the 2010 NBA Championship, their second in a row, has won five titles as head coach of the Lakers. Overall, Jackson has guided his teams to eleven NBA Championships, the most of any coach in NBA history.

A member of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, Jackson established a new Lakers franchise record for regular season victories earlier this year, earning his 534th career victory with a win over the Charlotte Hornets on February 3. The fastest coach to 1,000 career victories, his total of 1,098 regular season wins ranks him fifth all-time while his .705 winning percentage is the best in league history. Additionally, Jackson ranks first all-time in NBA postseason history with a .697 winning percentage (225-98). His 225 playoff victories are also the highest postseason win total for any head coach in league history.

“We’re extremely pleased that Phil has decided to return,” said Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak. “With this most recent championship, we’ve now won five titles in the ten years he’s been our head coach and have been to the Finals in seven of those ten years, which is amazing. He’s not only the best coach for this team, but quite simply the best coach in the history of the NBA.”
~LilBallerx~

Next

Return to NBA Forum