Seattle Seahawks Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:55 am
NFL teams after Masoli?

8:39 AM ET Seattle Seahawks Top Email

Len Pasquarelli writes on ESPN.com that NFL teams are keeping tabs on Jeremiah Masoli, the former University of Oregon quarterback who was kicked off the team this spring following burglary and drug possession charges. Masoli is reportedly considering entering next month's supplemental draft.

Pasquarelli writes: "It's not certain that Masoli, a very good college quarterback, has the kind of height or arm strength that translates well to the NFL. But there are a few teams that would like to have him in camp, even as an undrafted free agent, and who feel he could be a No. 3 developmental prospect."

There is also a report that Utah State might be interested in bringing Masoli on board for the 2011 season, after the QB sits out his transfer year. That might be the better move in that he'll have the opportunity to rehab his image there, but if chooses not to wait two more seasons and instead opts for the supplemental draft, some teams may be intrigued by his potential, particularly his ability to play Wildcat QB (especially if they see clips like this of him bowling over defenders). Just speculating here, but perhaps Pete Carroll, after watching Masoli carve up his USC team on Halloween last season, will be intrigued enough to give him a look on the Seattle Seahawks.
* Underhanded Beans Fanclub Leader *

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:58 am
Chum wrote:
NFL teams after Masoli?

Len Pasquarelli writes on ESPN.com that NFL teams are keeping tabs on Jeremiah Masoli, the former University of Oregon quarterback who was kicked off the team this spring following burglary and drug possession charges. Masoli is reportedly considering entering next month's supplemental draft.

Pasquarelli writes: "It's not certain that Masoli, a very good college quarterback, has the kind of height or arm strength that translates well to the NFL. But there are a few teams that would like to have him in camp, even as an undrafted free agent, and who feel he could be a No. 3 developmental prospect."

There is also a report that Utah State might be interested in bringing Masoli on board for the 2011 season, after the QB sits out his transfer year. That might be the better move in that he'll have the opportunity to rehab his image there, but if chooses not to wait two more seasons and instead opts for the supplemental draft, some teams may be intrigued by his potential, particularly his ability to play Wildcat QB (especially if they see clips like this of him bowling over defenders). Just speculating here, but perhaps Pete Carroll, after watching Masoli carve up his USC team on Halloween last season, will be intrigued enough to give him a look on the Seattle Seahawks.

Not a chance.... especially after booting a former player (Lendale White) off the team cause he could not lay off the herb...

besides, Masoli seems the "counter" Carroll type QB. Look at Carroll's history at QB... seems to like the big, strong, pocket passing type QB.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:00 am
I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the NFL thread, but since it does specifically mention the Seahawks I figured it would be appropriate here.

New team in Albert mix?

8:41 AM ET Albert Haynesworth | Redskins | Interested: Seahawks?, Titans?, Raiders? Top Email

UPDATE: While the battle for Albert Haynesworth's bonus rages, it's become increasingly clear that the DT is unlikely to return to Washington. That means the 'Skins will either release him or trade him, and ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli offered up two suggestions for teams that could be interested: the Seattle Seahawks and Oakland Raiders. We've heard the Raiders bandied about before, but the Seahawks suggestion is a new, very captivating one. Although Haynesworth won't provide the edge-rushing pressure the team needs, he might be able to free up some of the players on the outside to make plays.

---

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported this week that the Washington Redskins will attempt to retrieve some of the bonus money that they paid out to Haynesworth as part of his monumental deal last offseason. While we don't have public confirmation from Mike Shanahan that there is a plan to do that, there is some sort of plan. (A Shanaplan?).

"Obviously, we have a game plan," Shanahan said Thursday, per Frank Tadych of NFL.com. "I'm not going to deal with speculation, or obviously tell you what we're going to do. But, definitely, we have a plan of attack. I don't want to share that publicly, for obvious reasons, I don't think it's fair to negotiate through the press or even give people an idea which direction we're going. We're going to do what we feel is right. You'll find out in time."

This doesn't seem like the type of thing that is going to get resolved quickly. Fortunately, we're headed towards the one part of the season where very little happens in the NFL -- the gap between mini-camp and training camp -- so there will be plenty of time for everyone to weigh in (as countless current Redskins, former Redskins, other NFL players and scribes already have).

Regarding the timing of a release or trade, Schefter thinks it may be a ways off just yet:

Adam Schefter
Other fish to fry right now

"There are certain teams that would take on the three years and $16 million left on Haynesworth's contract. The issue is, at this time, the Redskins are unwilling to trade him. Washington first wants to pursue the money it gave Haynesworth -- it cut him a check for $21 million on April 1 -- before it sends him packing. It's hard to imagine Haynesworth playing again in Washington, especially when he has been so adamant that he does not want to play in the Redskins new defensive system. But after all this, my guess is the Redskins players don't want him around there anyway. They didn't like or trust him last year, and they're less inclined to like or trust him this year. Washington controls when it will get rid of Haynesworth through trade or release, and it sounds like it has other business it wants to tend to first."

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:05 am
bada wrote:
Chum wrote:
NFL teams after Masoli?

Not a chance.... especially after booting a former player (Lendale White) off the team cause he could not lay off the herb...

besides, Masoli seems the "counter" Carroll type QB. Look at Carroll's history at QB... seems to like the big, strong, pocket passing type QB.

Having a Wildcat backup QB is all the rage these days bada. Trust me on this, you wouldn't be dissapointed with Masoli on the Seahawks. The guy is a freaky stud of an athelete. No he's not a typical pocket passer, but he is very accurate, has a strong arm and is an excellent throw on the run QB. His running game is.... amazing! As a Duck fan I can tell you he is sorely missed in Eugene Oregon. Everyone understands that Chip Kelly did the right thing in booting him, but it still sucks. Masoli is loaded with talent.

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:11 am
The wildcat fad is just that... a fad... It is NOT effective. Only reason it was is because it had not been seen lately when the dolphins started running it. Defenses started preparing for it and if you look at the stats, plays from a wildcat formation has a DREADFUL yards per play average.

Does not fit at all with Carroll and Bates' offensive philosophies.

That aside, I have never been impressed with Masoli as an NFL prospect. At most he could find a niche as a situational wildcat type guy but never a starting under center QB.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:19 am
bada wrote:The wildcat fad is just that... a fad... It is NOT effective. Only reason it was is because it had not been seen lately when the dolphins started running it. Defenses started preparing for it and if you look at the stats, plays from a wildcat formation has a DREADFUL yards per play average.

Does not fit at all with Carroll and Bates' offensive philosophies.

That aside, I have never been impressed with Masoli as an NFL prospect. At most he could find a niche as a situational wildcat type guy but never a starting under center QB.

/shrug An understandable opinion, just not mine :)

Short guys can play QB too! Doug Flutie and Drew Brees ain't no chumps.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:20 am
i agree Bada, i can't stand the wildcat, especially since the majority of the time, the ball is run by the wildcat "quarterback" its incredibly predictable and you don't allow your best decision maker to make the decisions.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:22 am
I don't have a problem with the wildcat offense.

Even like it... if we use it one time per 1000 plays or so... 8)
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:26 am
RobDIKUM wrote:i agree Bada, i can't stand the wildcat, especially since the majority of the time, the ball is run by the wildcat "quarterback" its incredibly predictable and you don't allow your best decision maker to make the decisions.

Forget the Wildcat then. Masoli is a stud wildcat or no.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:33 am
I'm sure thats a completely unbiased opinion chum :)
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:52 am
RobDIKUM wrote:I'm sure thats a completely unbiased opinion chum :)

Of course :wink:

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:25 am
RobDIKUM wrote:I'm sure thats a completely unbiased opinion chum :)

More like a "completely unbiased Chum opinion"... :mrgreen:
Previous

Return to Sports Board