Video Game Thread

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:59 am
TMC wrote:
bada wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on "Cloud Gaming"

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gad ... tml?hpt=C1

Certainly SaaS (software as a service) has had a huge impact in the business world and in my opinion is a great model. Wonder if people as a whole can get their head around moving away from consols

I can see how it works pretty well for a business point of view, but I just can't see it for the gaming community unless it's enforced by game developers. Most people I know that (have time to) play games want to have the physical thing above any other option, even if it means waiting a few months to get it til the price drops a bit.

I don't see it changing, unless, as I said, it's enforced by developers.

I agree...............this is just typical developers and itchy feet guys wanting the "big next step".

What are we talking about there?...............being able to play all games/some games on youre iPad or youre portable device.............what? a phone?

If it means PC's/Laptops/Macs...............then you can already play and buy basically every game you can on a console.

And why the F would I want to cram an epic game like Call of Duty into the much smaller screen of a portable device?..............how would I control/play the game? would I have a portable controller with me at all times? or would it all be touch sensitive?

Bull sh*t...............whats the point of being able to do all this when I could sit in my gamer chair in the comfort of my own home, at an appropriate time, on a 50 inch screen with surround sound, playing with a purpose built controller...............how this an alternative/better option for gamers than that?

Also, where would this be appropriate and of use? I mean yeah, I wouldnt have minded bringing my Xbox with me on our America trip, of course I could of so this being the argument for me having this crap instead..............but what kind of fun would that of been? I would have wanted to play it, and I probably would of (making Jen want to kill me)..............instead I talked to people and did things, had fun in the real world, walked around!!! God forbid we are not all glued to our f*cking portable devices at all times.

Making this kind of thing portable is asking for a world of trouble when thinking about how much certain people would do it eventually and the impact that would have socially.

I dont think it will take off at all...............but as TMC says, Im sure they will enforce it because who WOULDNT want to play Call of Duty on their f*cking iPad??? :roll: :banghead: :roll:

F*ck this world and its never ending need to change sh*t that works perfectly and then ruin it.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:27 am
bigstrads wrote:
TMC wrote:

Certainly SaaS (software as a service) has had a huge impact in the business world and in my opinion is a great model. Wonder if people as a whole can get their head around moving away from consols

I can see how it works pretty well for a business point of view, but I just can't see it for the gaming community unless it's enforced by game developers. Most people I know that (have time to) play games want to have the physical thing above any other option, even if it means waiting a few months to get it til the price drops a bit.

I agree...............this is just typical developers and itchy feet guys wanting the "big next step".

What are we talking about there?...............being able to play all games/some games on youre iPad or youre portable device.............what? a phone?

If it means PC's/Laptops/Macs...............then you can already play and buy basically every game you can on a console.

And why the F would I want to cram an epic game like Call of Duty into the much smaller screen of a portable device?..............how would I control/play the game? would I have a portable controller with me at all times? or would it all be touch sensitive?

Bull sh*t...............whats the point of being able to do all this when I could sit in my gamer chair in the comfort of my own home, at an appropriate time, on a 50 inch screen with surround sound, playing with a purpose built controller...............how this an alternative/better option for gamers than that?

Also, where would this be appropriate and of use? I mean yeah, I wouldnt have minded bringing my Xbox with me on our America trip, of course I could of so this being the argument for me having this crap instead..............but what kind of fun would that of been? I would have wanted to play it, and I probably would of (making Jen want to kill me)..............instead I talked to people and did things, had fun in the real world, walked around!!! God forbid we are not all glued to our f*cking portable devices at all times.

Making this kind of thing portable is asking for a world of trouble when thinking about how much certain people would do it eventually and the impact that would have socially.

I dont think it will take off at all...............but as TMC says, Im sure they will enforce it because who WOULDNT want to play Call of Duty on their f*cking iPad??? :roll: :banghead: :roll:

F*ck this world and its never ending need to change sh*t that works perfectly and then ruin it.

Everything you said Bigs is still possible. The ONLY thing this does is provide you ADDITIONAL options by freeing you from the confines of your consol. Bascically it eliminates any hardware constraints and would allow you to play these games (and potentially ANY game) from any devise with a broadband connection. You will be able to have adapters for your TV monitor so you can still sit on your couch and play these games on your TV... OR you can play them on your PC, OR you can play them on any portable device.

An example would be that war game you play. You bought it a few days before you left for your trip so you did not get to play it. Only option would have been to pack up your Xbox and bring it with you wherever you wanted.

In the cloud gaming model, you could have played your game (intact with all your saved progress) from any computer you had access to on your trip. It provides ADDITIONAL options, not restrictions.

Obviously I think it is a HUGE win for PC gamers. No longer will they need to perform lengthy installs, apply patches, keep current with OS upgrades etc.... just go to a website and play your game.

Console gamers it is a little tougher because it is a fundamental shift in thinking.

The Saas model has been extremely successful in the business world by elimininating the hardware costs and upkeep on the client by allowing complanies to run sophisticated enterprise wide applications without being handicapped by hardware and infrastructure limitations.... I can't see why this same model would not work for the gaming community.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:32 am
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
TMC wrote:

Everything you said Bigs is still possible. The ONLY thing this does is provide you ADDITIONAL options by freeing you from the confines of your consol. Bascically it eliminates any hardware constraints and would allow you to play these games (and potentially ANY game) from any devise with a broadband connection. You will be able to have adapters for your TV monitor so you can still sit on your couch and play these games on your TV... OR you can play them on your PC, OR you can play them on any portable device.

An example would be that war game you play. You bought it a few days before you left for your trip so you did not get to play it. Only option would have been to pack up your Xbox and bring it with you wherever you wanted.

In the cloud gaming model, you could have played your game (intact with all your saved progress) from any computer you had access to on your trip. It provides ADDITIONAL options, not restrictions.

Obviously I think it is a HUGE win for PC gamers. No longer will they need to perform lengthy installs, apply patches, keep current with OS upgrades etc.... just go to a website and play your game.

Console gamers it is a little tougher because it is a fundamental shift in thinking.

The Saas model has been extremely successful in the business world by elimininating the hardware costs and upkeep on the client by allowing complanies to run sophisticated enterprise wide applications without being handicapped by hardware and infrastructure limitations.... I can't see why this same model would not work for the gaming community.

One problem i see is it'll open a whole new world of hacking. You think there are cheaters now, just wait til this takes place. Could be a good idea if there was any sense of integrity in online gaming, but there isnt.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:37 am
RobDIKUM wrote:
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
TMC wrote:

One problem i see is it'll open a whole new world of hacking. You think there are cheaters now, just wait til this takes place. Could be a good idea if there was any sense of integrity in online gaming, but there isnt.

I think the reverse might happen. MORE emphasis would have to be put into hacking countermeasures.

I mean think of it in the business world... this was a HUGE concern for people adopting this new model. In business world, companies are putting all their confidential and sensitive data accessable via the web and on servers outside of their network. Security is a HUGE issue in the SaaS model so for this to have a chance to succeed, lots of efforts around this will have to take place.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:14 am
bada wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
TMC wrote:

I think the reverse might happen. MORE emphasis would have to be put into hacking countermeasures.

I mean think of it in the business world... this was a HUGE concern for people adopting this new model. In business world, companies are putting all their confidential and sensitive data accessable via the web and on servers outside of their network. Security is a HUGE issue in the SaaS model so for this to have a chance to succeed, lots of efforts around this will have to take place.

If that were the case, we would have seen something about it now. Now i'm not talking about hacking for personal information or account info or anything. I'm thinking of the actual gaming community. The most popular games are rampant with people who cheat and hack games for the sole purpose of ruining the experience for others. I'm sure safety of information will be increased, but i think overall quality of the gaming community will suffer.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:24 am
RobDIKUM wrote:
bada wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
TMC wrote:

If that were the case, we would have seen something about it now. Now i'm not talking about hacking for personal information or account info or anything. I'm thinking of the actual gaming community. The most popular games are rampant with people who cheat and hack games for the sole purpose of ruining the experience for others. I'm sure safety of information will be increased, but i think overall quality of the gaming community will suffer.

So I assume your are talking about online gaming? I guess I dont see any difference? WHen you play those games you are participating on their game servers... this new model will be the same except you dont ALSO need the physical hardware or game. So you are already experiencing this... how does this make it MORE prevelant other than perhaps more games will be available as mutli-player online games.

I think currently the multi-player online community for console makers (Xbox, PS, etc) is relatively new and their main focus in on consoles and game, where these NEW companies will live and breathe the online gaming world ONLY. They will put greater emphasis on reducing hacking of their games... much like Blizzard with World of Warcraft which does not have the same issues with people hacking the game (account hacking still happens because of stupidity of some gamers but downloading crap with keyloggers in it).

If every game you played was infested with hacks, the company would die. My point is this would be a point of EMPHASIS and would actively be managed rather than a blind eye as it is currently.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:43 am
bada wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
bada wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
TMC wrote:

So I assume your are talking about online gaming? I guess I dont see any difference? WHen you play those games you are participating on their game servers... this new model will be the same except you dont ALSO need the physical hardware or game. So you are already experiencing this... how does this make it MORE prevelant other than perhaps more games will be available as mutli-player online games.

I think currently the multi-player online community for console makers (Xbox, PS, etc) is relatively new and their main focus in on consoles and game, where these NEW companies will live and breathe the online gaming world ONLY. They will put greater emphasis on reducing hacking of their games... much like Blizzard with World of Warcraft which does not have the same issues with people hacking the game (account hacking still happens because of stupidity of some gamers but downloading crap with keyloggers in it).

If every game you played was infested with hacks, the company would die. My point is this would be a point of EMPHASIS and would actively be managed rather than a blind eye as it is currently.

Well, PC is the source for many game hacks. So interlinking these with any other consoles could be an issue. The idea is not bad, however i don't see it being effective unless you're basically paying for a secure server for each game. It's not the servers exactly that is the issues, it is the game companies that decide how secure their servers will be. Most companies are not like Blizzard, and will skimp out on that aspect. Many companies are set out to mass produce and churn out retreads to make quick dollars.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:50 am
RobDIKUM wrote:
bada wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
bada wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
TMC wrote:

Well, PC is the source for many game hacks. So interlinking these with any other consoles could be an issue. The idea is not bad, however i don't see it being effective unless you're basically paying for a secure server for each game. It's not the servers exactly that is the issues, it is the game companies that decide how secure their servers will be. Most companies are not like Blizzard, and will skimp out on that aspect. Many companies are set out to mass produce and churn out retreads to make quick dollars.

Well that is EXACTLY how it will work. You will NOT be on the game manufacturer's game servers. These companies will get content from the manufactures but the game servers will run on their secured game servers.
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:50 am
Another thing we're not commenting on is that it ends the ability to use mods. The mod community is pretty big, and to be able to modify a game, there's only one way to do it (so far), on your own PC. You need to have an installed copy of the game or you're out of luck.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:53 am
Yes but i don't know how you can expect consumers to pay subscription fees for 2 or 3 games a year, especially with how companies are gouging customers with extra "content" that makes a game purchase $100 to $150 throughout the life of the game. I guess it all depends on how much the service fee is, but if they do this, it better damn well be secure, or it'll kill online gaming.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:56 pm
Who here has NBA 2k10 and wants to play sometime? After 9 months of intense schooling and working, i suddenly have plenty of time on my hands. SO if you wanna play someone who really sucks at the game, holler.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:21 pm
Anyone plan on gettin the new NCAA 11? Demo isn't bad. Closest thing they've been to the Pre Next-Gen [better version] in a while

Can't wait for NBA 2k11...

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:38 pm
Beast Mode wrote:Anyone plan on gettin the new NCAA 11? Demo isn't bad. Closest thing they've been to the Pre Next-Gen [better version] in a while

Can't wait for NBA 2k11...

I've played the NCAA demo. I don't think I will buy it though. I'm too cheap to buy sports games right when they come out. BUT, i think NBA 2k11 will be an exception as Jordan will be available to play with. Plus, that game is pretty fun to play even without jordan.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:04 pm
I heard NBA Elite is a pretty overhauled update of NBA live. I also heard there is online teamplay capabilities, anybody know if that's true? i don't buy basketball games anyway, but online team play would be cool in basketball. Madden is starting to add it, and FIFA and NHL have nailed it and they are extremely popular because of it.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:19 am
What's everyone thoughts on the new Madden? The first thing i noticed was how good is the stadium architecture. The crowd even gets out of it's seats for kick offs. Also all the player coaches don't have shitty faces like the previous editions where it look liked they'd been stung by the hornets nest.

Have not been playing much of the online or superstar feature. Just been getting thru my 2010 franchise. Looking forward to getting some spare time n thrashing the **** out of my PS3
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum