Steinmetz says we should trade for Turkoglu

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:07 pm
So every once in a while I get asked what I would do if I were in charge of the Warriors. Sometimes people ask me what decisions I would make if I had that kind of control.

It’s always hard to answer because, even if you know a little bit about what’s being talked about among teams, you don’t really know what’s going on. You never know the whole story and you never even hear about most of it.

So, it’s one thing to talk about trading Monta Ellis or Corey Maggette, it’s another to really know what’s out there for them.

But here’s something I certainly would pursue. I just saw that Hedo Turkoglu told a Turkish television station that he didn’t want to return to Toronto. He signed a pretty big deal there last year as a free agent, but had a pretty mediocre season.

Still, I’d get on that immediately.

Turkoglu had much more of an impact for the Magic than he did for Toronto, and it no doubt had a lot to do with him not handling the ball as much and being far less of an offensive focus.

It’s about Chris Bosh – or was – and Jose Calderon when it comes to handling the ball, and that left Turkoglu odd man out. And no, he didn’t exactly embrace not being the man.

What I’m getting around to is this: If I were the Warriors, I’d get in on that. I would absolutely, positively reach out to see what the Raptors think about Turkoglu wanting out.

If I’m the Warriors, I would be open to listening about any player except for Stephen Curry. It’s not that I would never consider trading Curry, it’s that if I’m considering trying to acquire Turkoglu, I’m going to want him to play alongside Curry.

Then you’ve got two very competent playmakers and ball-handlers. Now, Turkoglu’s got a big contract – four more years at about $43 million. But you know what? That’s not that much, and in all likelihood you’re probably going to have to give up an Andris Biedrins or Monta Ellis, both of whom make comparable money themselves.

I think it’s wishful thinking to believe there’s a deal there that involves Maggette. Certainly, the Raptors will come asking about Anthony Randolph, and I wouldn’t be averse to tossing his name around.

Ditto for Kelenna Azubuike, Ronny Turiaf or Brandan Wright. Not that No. 3 has much value.

Turkoglu is not a perfect player, but he’s the kind of player who would be a very nice fit on the Warriors. They do not have a player who can impact a game in as many areas as Turkoglu.

You put Turkoglu on the Warriors and he’d immediately be the team’s best all-around player.

You ask me what I would do if I ran the Warriors, and that’s certainly one thing: Get on the horn with the Raptors and start pestering them about Turkoglu.

Link
All Star
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:52 pm
I like Turkoglu as a player. I like his all around game. I think he would help the Warriors win quite a few games. I think if he ended up meshing well with Curry, which he probably would, then he'd be a good addition to the team.

BUT... it's a bad trade idea.

Turkoglu can make a very good team even better, but in the end he doesn't bring the essentials to the team. He's an add on. The Warriors need rebounding, low post defense, perimeter defense in that order. Turkoglu would bring scoring, ball handling and passing. All good things but not what we need.

You know who could really use a player like Turkaglu... The Magic :)

Not a bad idea on Steinmetz's part but we'd be better off trading for rebounding and defense.
* Underhanded Beans Fanclub Leader *

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:05 pm
I agree, we don't particularly need him, but I would trade Maggs for him. I thinlk we'd be more improved than a lot of people think, but the Raptors probably wouldn't go for it.

It was interesting, after we beat Toronto and Nelly got his win record, only Turkoglu came over after the game and congratulated Nelly. And that loss was a serious nail in the coffin for the Raptors playoff hopes.
War Years
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:28 am
Chum wrote:I like Turkoglu as a player. I like his all around game. I think he would help the Warriors win quite a few games. I think if he ended up meshing well with Curry, which he probably would, then he'd be a good addition to the team.

BUT... it's a bad trade idea.

Turkoglu can make a very good team even better, but in the end he doesn't bring the essentials to the team. He's an add on. The Warriors need rebounding, low post defense, perimeter defense in that order. Turkoglu would bring scoring, ball handling and passing. All good things but not what we need.

You know who could really use a player like Turkaglu... The Magic :)

Not a bad idea on Steinmetz's part but we'd be better off trading for rebounding and defense.

Agree so very much.

Turkoglu seemed out of place in the Raps and that surprised me. He is a very well skilled player, but not what the team needs and he wouldn't be handling the ball too much he either. I'd trade Maggette for him, just to get more allround skill and a nice guy as well, but he probably wouldn't even be as effective as Maggette is here and I don't mean that Maggette is effective, but he does what he does and it is aquite a plus. Turkoglu could disappear here actually, with all the shooters and playmakers there are here, he could even do less than he did in the Raps

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:00 am
I said it in another thread

a big NO from me. Would be the ultimate 5 to Nellie. No thank you
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
All Star
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:08 am
Well if the trade was Mags for Turkoglu straight across I guess I'd do it, and I really like Mags. I happen to think Turkaglu is an exceptional player, but he does need the right team to fit in with. The Warriors may or may not be that team.

Trading any of the key trade baits on the Warriors for Turkoglu would be a mistake (ie Monta/draft pick/AR.) Get some hardcore defenders on the team and then Turkaglu would be a good option.

Also, my 5 year old loves to say his name. She calls him Turkey Glue :)

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:15 am
Just arrived home and the first thing I find on the board is this... this... RETARDED idea of a deal?

Turkoglu is 31 (31) and signed to more than 10 million per year (on average) til 2014!!!.

I'll repeat: we're going to deal for a long term contract that a 31 years old player has just started and that runs til the 2014 season!!!

What's the point of trading for him again?
All Star
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:21 am
TMC wrote:Just arrived home and the first thing I found on the board is this... this... RETARDED deal?

Turkoglu is 31 (31) and signed to more than 10 million per year (on average) til 2014!!!.

I'll repeat: we're going to deal for a long term contract that a 31 years old player has just started and that runs til the 2014 season!!!

What's the point of trading for him again?

Just to add talent that's not happy where he is I guess?

Mags for Turkoglu straight across ok with you TMC?

Is it just me or do the Warriors have a larger international fan base than most teams? I always hear about foreign players wanting to play for the Warriors. I remember when Yao Ming was going to first come to the NBA he (or the chinese government) made a list of teams that would be acceptable to go to. The Warriors were at the top, or near the top, of a short list.

Role Player
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:47 pm
Chum wrote:Well if the trade was Mags for Turkoglu straight across I guess I'd do it, and I really like Mags. I happen to think Turkaglu is an exceptional player, but he does need the right team to fit in with. The Warriors may or may not be that team.

Trading any of the key trade baits on the Warriors for Turkoglu would be a mistake (ie Monta/draft pick/AR.) Get some hardcore defenders on the team and then Turkaglu would be a good option.

I agree.

I'm cool with Maggette for Turkoglu straight up. Hedo is the better player, imo, and they make roughly the same money. I think it would be an upgrade.

I wouldn't give up Ellis, Biedrins or Randolph for him. I think we can get more for those players.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:17 am
Chum wrote:Just to add talent that's not happy where he is I guess?

Mags for Turkoglu straight across ok with you TMC?

Um... no. Turkoglu had a pretty "average" season (I'm being kind here), and Mags was actually pretty decent. And Mags contract runs one year less and for less money per year than Turkoglu's...

Still can't see the point for making that trade.

Chum wrote:Is it just me or do the Warriors have a larger international fan base than most teams? I always hear about foreign players wanting to play for the Warriors. I remember when Yao Ming was going to first come to the NBA he (or the chinese government) made a list of teams that would be acceptable to go to. The Warriors were at the top, or near the top, of a short list.

Not really. At least, not here. I guess that being in San Francisco can help their cause regarding Asia and the Pacific, but they have virtually no support in Europe (except for a bunch of bandwagonners that join when their favorite player is a warrior and leave after that, like the amount of Jasikevicius fans we had around when he was included in the Dunleavy deal with Indy).

So that leaves Bigs, Martin and me... and a few more I don't remember, but that's it. :wink:

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:13 pm
I wouldn't do the trade. Not because i like maggs (not at all), but cuz its another long term deal we don't need. I mean, if we trade maggs, it should be for someone with less years, not more. And TMC is right, he is 31 years. Unless he is a PG who is in shape, i would be cautious of trading for anyone in their 30's with 4 years remaining on a deal.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:10 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I wouldn't do the trade. Not because i like maggs (not at all), but cuz its another long term deal we don't need. I mean, if we trade maggs, it should be for someone with less years, not more. And TMC is right, he is 31 years. Unless he is a PG who is in shape, i would be cautious of trading for anyone in their 30's with 4 years remaining on a deal.

Yep you're right here, Turkoglu's deal is going to turn very sour when its on its last years and Turk is pushing 35 while making over 10m. Also, I doubt the Warriors wanna pull any big moves right now while the sale process is going on. It looks like Turkoglu is outta Toronto before the sale completes anyway.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:33 pm
I dont want a guy that makes that much money and has shown through his off-court behavior, he does not take his profession very seriously. Definately not a guy who's burning desire is to be a winner and to be great.
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:11 pm
Steinmetz still pushing for Turkoglu and thinks the Warrior fans who don't want him are nuts.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/01/10/Steinmetz-Warriors-Turkoglu-Redux/landing_steinmetz_v3.html?blockID=245109&feedID=2484
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:17 pm
GoldenStJayhawk wrote:Steinmetz still pushing for Turkoglu and thinks the Warrior fans who don't want him are nuts.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/01/10/Steinmetz-Warriors-Turkoglu-Redux/landing_steinmetz_v3.html?blockID=245109&feedID=2484

lol I knew bada was nuts :mrgreen:

Next

Return to Trades