Some Prospective Monta Trades:

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


Starting Lineup
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:55 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:00 pm
At the beginning of this year there were 4 players I thought we might be able to trade Monta with, Morrow, a high draft pick and fillers for. They were G. Wallace, Iguodadla, Granger, and Gay. My conclusions now at the end of the season are:
G. Wallace- Too late, he has become a premiere player, a blood and guts rebounder. He’s cheap and has the best contract of the 5 players I’m mentioning. Too late now.

Granger- Obtainable, right now a little cheaper than Monta but they would certainly ask for someone else. If we got a top 2 pick. How about Monta, Turiaf, and Morrow for Granger and Jeff Foster? a very serviceable big man with one year left on his contract. We both trade our back up centers.

Gay--I actually think Monta will be a better deal for the money than Gay, mostly because I see Gay as the softest of these 5 players. Being a free agent Gay is going to be overpaid and could leave Memphis. Would they be interested in a Corey Maggette/? Or since we know they want Monta. Monta Morrow.?

Iguodala has always been sort of player you can tend to ignore. Probably because he is the most well rounded of the players involved , he has by far the most assists but he is the most expensive long term contract ( 5 million more than Granger ) He might be the player who will fit in best with us. Philadelphia is trying to shed salary. Would they actually consider trading Iggy straight across for Monta. I don’t think so.

I agree with that list of top big men, Gasol, Love, B. Lopez A Jefferson. Outside of Jefferson, there is very little chance. B. Lopez is impossible because should New Jersey get the top 2 picks they won’t pick a big man. So he’s out of the question. The only thing that could possibly support the idea of getting Gasol and Love or Jefferson is the fact that Minnesota and Memphis DO have other big men. Minnesota has Love and Jefferson, and Memphis does have Z. Randolph, Thabeet and Oakley. At a certain point I think rock bottom teams like Minnesota have to entertain the idea of getting 2 solid players for one major player. Monta and Morrow could inject some real excitement into a real icy cold boring team. Monta with Rubio, Gomes, Morrow and Jefferson? (Obviously I’m a much bigger fan of Love than Jefferson )
Memphis is more difficult lining up contracts, how much are they willing to pay up for Monta?
Chum’s proposed trade of Monta and our pick, for Mayo, Gasol, and Haddadi (sp?) would be a great trade if we drafted #3. Because then Memphis could have their choice between Cousins and Favors to replace Gasol and they’d still have Randolph and Thabeet. Picks1 and 2 are almost worth it, but I’d have to pass on trading Monta as well. I think Mayo will get a little better, I think he fits better as a defending 2,than Monta but offensively I don’t think his ceiling will be near Monta’s.
War Years

Rookie
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:36 pm
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:37 pm
I didn't do players, but I did have four teams that I thought would be interested in Monta. Seems like only 1 was true. My four teams were Miami, Memphis, New York, and Toronto. I think all four of those teams still are missing another scorer that they may want to fill. That's a whole Monta can definitely help with.

Rookie
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:26 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:07 pm
Monta and the #6 for Elton Brand and the #2.

I know Brand has seen better days, but he's still an upgrade at the 4. He's a career 20/10 guy, pretty similar to Amare, but he's in a bad situation in Philly, and Monta is in a bad situation here. Swap disgruntled players and give them a new work environment, and Brand could come back fierce.

The real reason to do this is to get Evan Turner. Paired with Curry, they would have their backcourt for the forseeable future.

Salary wise, Brand makes a bit more than Monta, so there would have to be a few incidental guys tossed in to make the salaries work.

Brand will make almost 15 million next year, with 4 years left. Monta is due 11 million and has 5 years left. It's alot easier to swallow Monta's contract for the Sixers, as they are only adding an extra year, but are getting a much younger and better player.

Warriors end up with Brand and Turner. Sixers get Monta and a #6 the Warriors have no use for.

Warriors: Curry/Turner/Maggette?/Brand/Biedrins?
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:10 pm
oh lord!

MC, the reason Phily is even trying to move the 2nd pick is that they dont need a shot creating SG. So WHY would they trade for Monta????

In that case, they just stay where they are and draft a younger, cheaper, and better version of Monta
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21365
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:16 pm
bada wrote:oh lord!

MC, the reason Phily is even trying to move the 2nd pick is that they dont need a shot creating SG. So WHY would they trade for Monta????

In that case, they just stay where they are and draft a younger, cheaper, and better version of Monta



Better version of Monta? That's a big statement for a guy that hasn't even played an nba game yet and Monta's just had a big season, bad team or not.

The 76ers are stuck and they want change. They do sound desperate and you pounce on that, the analagy I'll use right now, is like a sex craved teenager getting a hold of a porn star. They also want to get rid of Iggy apparently, well then, they have to give more as they want change so much. Heck, I'd take Igoudala and Brand off their hands, but they give the #2 pick and they take all our bad contracts, bad to us, sell them like they're rather steals. Maggette most of us don't like, but the guy's production this season was worth his money, some would say he was cheap for us. Find a situation in your favour and squeeze it dry, business like ofcourse
Last edited by migya on Fri May 21, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:26 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:17 pm
bada wrote:oh lord!

MC, the reason Phily is even trying to move the 2nd pick is that they dont need a shot creating SG. So WHY would they trade for Monta????

In that case, they just stay where they are and draft a younger, cheaper, and better version of Monta


i disagree. The reason they are moving the pick is they want to get rid of Brand. They are desperate. Maybe even more than the dubs are to move Monta. Iggy could easily move to the 3. That would give them Holiday/Monta/Iggy. Or is there another great SG you were talking about (i assume its Iggy).

or did you mean Willie Green? Jodi Meeks, or Lou Williams?

Or maybe Allen Iverson?
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:24 pm
migya wrote:Better version of Monta? That's a big statement for a guy that hasn't even played an nba game yet and Monta's just had a big season, bad team or not.


I can guarantee you that if you took a poll of every single GM in the NBA and asked them if they would rather have Monta or Evan Turner, every single one will say Turner.

He is a better distributer, better rebounder, better passer, better defender, and MUCH bigger. Monta is definately a better shooter at this stage.

MCJackinthebox wrote:i disagree. The reason they are moving the pick is they want to get rid of Brand. They are desperate. Maybe even more than the dubs are to move Monta. Iggy could easily move to the 3. That would give them Holiday/Monta/Iggy. Or is there another great SG you were talking about (i assume its Iggy).


Certainly they are motivated to get rid of Brand and his salary. SG is not a need for them so they are can move the #2 pick to a team like Minny who is salivating over Turner and still get the big man they crave... and if they can rid themselves of Brand even better.

But trading for Monta makes ZERO sense for them even if they do get rid of brand in that trade

Rookie
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:26 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:35 pm
the only reason they are offering up the pick is to get rid of Brand. Has anyone heard any instance where they offered the pick without including him?

if they trade the pick with Brand, they lose the ability to draft Turner. So i'm curious, explain to me again how they can't use Monta if Turner is not an option for them? They've been also shopping Iggy. Who is the backcourt of the future for the sixers? Holiday and who? You say SG is not a need for them. Are you serious? If they lose Turner, and they lose Iggy, where's the depth at SG? Who of their guys I mentioned above are you referring to as stacked and deep?

i'm sure there are plenty of Monta homers that don't like the idea of trading Monta. But it's gonna happen, and this is about as good a deal as they could possibly expect to get.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:50 pm
The reason Iggy has come up is the presumption that they draft Turner making Iggy expendable.

With Holiday and Iggy, a wing player is not a big need for them. I think ultimately they stay where they are and draft turner and try to move Iggy.

Yes, I agree, they will NOT move the pick without moving Brand. But they WANT a frontcourt player back. They pass on Turner but get rid of brand replacing him with a frontcourt player AND they still have a good backcourt.

Trading the pick away with Brand but getting Monta back, does not help them accomplish their goal of strenthening their front court.

I would equate it to say if WE got the #2 pick. Our needs are clearly at the frontcourt. While Turner would be an upgrade for us, he does not address our needs so we could explore trading the pick.

Would we trade the #2 pick and a bad contract (Maggette) for a similar SG to Monta that makes 11 million a year and the 6th pick? Of course not.... we would look to use that asset (the #2 pick) to address our needs. If we couldn't, we would draft Turner and look to move Monta to address our frontcourt needs.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:07 am
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:53 pm
MCJackintheBox wrote:the only reason they are offering up the pick is to get rid of Brand. Has anyone heard any instance where they offered the pick without including him?

if they trade the pick with Brand, they lose the ability to draft Turner. So i'm curious, explain to me again how they can't use Monta if Turner is not an option for them? They've been also shopping Iggy. Who is the backcourt of the future for the sixers? Holiday and who? You say SG is not a need for them. Are you serious? If they lose Turner, and they lose Iggy, where's the depth at SG? Who of their guys I mentioned above are you referring to as stacked and deep?

i'm sure there are plenty of Monta homers that don't like the idea of trading Monta. But it's gonna happen, and this is about as good a deal as they could possibly expect to get.


Nicely put!
* Underhanded Beans Fanclub Leader *

Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:58 pm
I really think the window of opportunity lies with Minnesota. I think Monta has more value to that team than any other. Brewer improved quite a bit this season but he has no ability to create his own shot... they need a shot creator at the wing SO BADLY. Monta is the perfect fit there.

They already have two PF's they can't find a way to fit together and they are in a position to draft any big man they want (other than Favors most likely). So their needs and strength's match perfectly with what are needs and strengths are.

Whether that is love, jefferson or their draft pick, I think Minny provides us the best option at addressing our frontcourt.

Based on my other thread, you know my dream is Horford, but I dont think we have the assets to get him... Minnesota is a much more likely trade partner in my opinion.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:07 am
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:03 pm
bada wrote:Based on my other thread, you know my dream is Horford, but I dont think we have the assets to get him... Minnesota is a much more likely trade partner in my opinion.


I agree with this here. You've got me liking Horford, and I've also been back with us having another shot at Gortat. I keep thinking a Gortat/Horford front court would be scary as hell to opposing offenses.
* Underhanded Beans Fanclub Leader *

Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:07 pm
Location: Look behind you
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:06 pm
Chum wrote:
bada wrote:Based on my other thread, you know my dream is Horford, but I dont think we have the assets to get him... Minnesota is a much more likely trade partner in my opinion.


I agree with this here. You've got me liking Horford, and I've also been back with us having another shot at Gortat. I keep thinking a Gortat/Horford front court would be scary as hell to opposing offenses.

let's go Jefferson + Horford! :mrgreen:
~LilBallerx~

Image

Starting Lineup
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:55 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:35 pm
Minnesota is now even more likely our ideal trading partner. Is Minnesota drafting to need ( Johnson ) really desirable to BPA? ( Favors, Cousins ) and if only Cousins remains at #4, is his reputation as a headcase enough to make them turn to Johnson?
At last count they had 5 draft picks and will be well below cap. They would probably prefer dealing Jefferson but are in no financial pressure whatsoever to trade him. Jefferson is on good terms with management but Love is not happy with the bad year the T-Wolves have had, his performance tailed off in the 6 weeks of the season, and is not meshing with Jefferson, as has been pointed out.
I think highly enough of the long term prospects of Love as a future all NBA rebounder, actually a good passer, ( not the black hole that Jefferson is, he actually passes out! ) I'd be willing to trade Monta and our #6 pick for him. With Minnesota expecting Rubio and already having Flynn and several draft picks. I think the Minnesota would be happy to throw in Sessions who would be a good pass first PG back up to Curry.

At a certain point, we have too many projects without taking on a 6th pick. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that we have prospects who have lessened their tradability by season ending injuries. (Az and Wright) as well as Randolph who I'm not in favor of trading at this point unless we could get major value.
We've been in a major holding pattern for the last year and a half. We might get lucky and have one of the projected top 5 picks fall in our lap, but if that doesn't happen. I don't think the #6 pick is worth much to us.
War Years
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21365
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:23 am
bada wrote:
migya wrote:Better version of Monta? That's a big statement for a guy that hasn't even played an nba game yet and Monta's just had a big season, bad team or not.


I can guarantee you that if you took a poll of every single GM in the NBA and asked them if they would rather have Monta or Evan Turner, every single one will say Turner.

He is a better distributer, better rebounder, better passer, better defender, and MUCH bigger. Monta is definately a better shooter at this stage.



Monta is more highly valued than that, just has to be. He had a great season and scores pretty insanely. Turner has promise, but has done nothing, same as every draft pick that hasn't played a pro game, basically all of them. Monta is one of the best SGs this season, he has value that must be used now
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
Next

Return to Trades

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron