The Sorry Thread

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:30 am
To all my great and dear friends here;

A big apology................I feel really disconnected from this place right now and because of that, from my brothers who I dont ever want to lose contact/close dialogue with.

Just woke up this morning and felt like this was how to say sorry and hopefully rectify it.

As far as why? well Ive dropped a few hints at the craziness thats been going on................we are still living at Jen's parents house, as we agreed to stay whilst they went on holiday (to look after the cats, so they didnt have to pay to put them somewhere).............but of course, the bloody volcano stuff meant they left for their 10 day holiday, 5 days late, so we have to stay here 5 days longer! :evil:

Also, I had my interview!!!...............it was on Wednesday, and I feel that it went quite well, I got on well with the manager of the department who was conducting it and he was very interested in me...............not the usual "Question = Me ramble - Rinse and Repeat"..............he was very responsive and encouraging, which gave me confidence.

I dont like to be too confident with these things, tempting fate and all that but I felt really good after it.............I should hear something by the middle of next week. [-o<

Other than that, weve been packing stuff in boxes to go home............going home and steam cleaning the carpets with a hired piece of pro hardware and just trying to organise the chaos.

Hopefully that goes some way to explaining why Ive been a little distant, both from here and from the other means I get to talk to my brothers.

So, if you guys want, post how youre getting on, how everyone I care about is..............or maybe just that y'all still love me, even though Im being abit sh*t at the moment. :wink:

Ps: Ohh yeah, Ill have a special surprise for Bada on Sunday!!!!!!!!!

Which will involve you all seeing a picture of the new/old Bigs with short hair and fat face..............and the theme is a little in joke between Bada, Jen and me. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:15 am
Sounds like you are pretty busy in your life right now. Getting to your own house is definately the way to go, not knocking your in laws, but there is nothing like being with your woman alone in your own house.

Hope you get that job, it sounds like it could be prosporous

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:48 am
No need to be sorry Bigs

see the thing with family is this - you can not see em, hell, even hear from them, in ages, yet when you do, not a fkn thing has changed

If ya know what i mean :)
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:11 am
Sorry about what exactly?. Forget about that, James. You don't have to feel (or say) sorry about anything...

I was going to send you a PM this weekend about the job interview, just to know how it went. Glad to see it was that encouraging (not that I had any doubt that'd be the case). Hope you don't have to wait too much and get the good news soon, bro.

And, about the family... well, I was sure that'd be the case. You can thank the Ejosfjksljfaskfkaskull for that, mate!!!

But don't worry too much, bro. You'll be back home in a few days.

As for me... well, you can imagine how it goes. A bit pissed (that's an understatement, of course) about getting my salary reduced by a 5%, particularly because we just gave up €9000 million to help Greece and it seems like I'll have to pay for it (I've posted about it on the random babble thread, if you want more info)... and a couple of weeks away from going back home (for a week only, tho, but can't wait!!!).

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:57 am
i rarely meet such emotional men like you, james, of course, unless they are very drunk.
but, all in all, you're really a sweetheart!
don't let it get to you :wink:
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:58 am
F' that guys. He SHOULD apologize. What a complete A-HOLE this James is! I can't believe you guys are actually OK with him taking a few days off from this board to attend to important real life matters! That is completely unacceptable and quite frankly I am not sure I can ever talk to this doucebag again. Sorry but this was BEYOND acceptable!

Go f yourself James!!!!

:wink: :mrgreen: :wink: :mrgreen: :wink: :mrgreen:

definately let us know when you hear something about the interview. Glad it went well! Cant wait to see the pic!
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:38 am
James, are you sure you weren't raised Catholic?
I could feel the guilt dripping off the screen.

:mrgreen:

Man, you do have a life. But if this were during the season.. :roll: :wink:

seriously, no explanation necessary...

and in words inspired by Bjork: your keyboards taps warms my pigeoned heart.

wtf?

btw, we are one step closer to purchasing a home. Waiting on the second bank to approve hopefully, we will know something by the middle of next week. this process is not unlike a rollercoaster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:13 am
Right when I was starting to feel sorry ( :mrgreen: ) about this thread, something comes up...

Money Morrow wrote:btw, we are one step closer to purchasing a home. Waiting on the second bank to approve hopefully, we will know something by the middle of next week. this process is not unlike a rollercoaster.

:headbang:

Good luck, bro. Let us know as soon as it happens.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:18 pm
Well, playing right into Martins observation about my being quite an emotional being...........Ill say that the comments from my brothers in here have just brought a tear to my eye.

This is mainly due to the fact that I received an email this afternoon informing me that I didnt get my job...............

So since hearing that news, the first smile thats crossed my face was because of some of the comments in here............so I thank my brothers for that. :wink:

Yeah, well, the reason they said I didnt get the job.............= Im over qualified!!!

Seriously, I mean how the f*ck is it possible to be over qualified to be an 999/911 Emergency Call Handler??????? I mean...............Im not!!!

Thats why its hit me rather hard (aside from the fact it IS the job I want, and I literally have no other options/clues about what I want to do).............because if they just said "Sorry James, you just arent good enough"..............then I can accept that and move on.

But the guy loved me, he re-confirmed that again in his email, he even recommended that I get the job!!!.............but because they had 3 different sets of people interviewing 11 people.............the others got it.

I feel really f*cking down guys................I mean, I just dont have such moments of clarity in terms of what I want to do with my life, and to get so close and to be told that Im too good for it!!!.............I just cant accept.

Im planning on giving the guy a call on Monday to see if there is any way I can convince him that me being "over qualified" is NOT an issue..............because all the other "amazing" sh*t I did for my previous companies, didnt mean anything and didnt satisfy me in any way............which is why I wanted this job, because I knew I could put my communications/conflict resolution skills to use for something that is worth it!!! ie: actually helping people.............instead of just making some f*cking corporation some more money.

So there it is................f*ck I miss you guys even more now..............I give anything to go round Bada's for a chat, or out with Pat for a drink, or round TMC's for an eel salad. :wink:

Ohh f*ck.........................

Ps: Pat man, really glad to hear about the house bro..............you guys really deserve this break and cant wait to hear that you guys are settling into youre new home.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:44 pm
bigstrads wrote:Well, playing right into Martins observation about my being quite an emotional being...........Ill say that the comments from my brothers in here have just brought a tear to my eye.

This is mainly due to the fact that I received an email this afternoon informing me that I didnt get my job...............

So since hearing that news, the first smile thats crossed my face was because of some of the comments in here............so I thank my brothers for that. :wink:

Yeah, well, the reason they said I didnt get the job.............= Im over qualified!!!

Seriously, I mean how the f*ck is it possible to be over qualified to be an 999/911 Emergency Call Handler??????? I mean...............Im not!!!

Thats why its hit me rather hard (aside from the fact it IS the job I want, and I literally have no other options/clues about what I want to do).............because if they just said "Sorry James, you just arent good enough"..............then I can accept that and move on.

But the guy loved me, he re-confirmed that again in his email, he even recommended that I get the job!!!.............but because they had 3 different sets of people interviewing 11 people.............the others got it.

I feel really f*cking down guys................I mean, I just dont have such moments of clarity in terms of what I want to do with my life, and to get so close and to be told that Im too good for it!!!.............I just cant accept.

Im planning on giving the guy a call on Monday to see if there is any way I can convince him that me being "over qualified" is NOT an issue..............because all the other "amazing" sh*t I did for my previous companies, didnt mean anything and didnt satisfy me in any way............which is why I wanted this job, because I knew I could put my communications/conflict resolution skills to use for something that is worth it!!! ie: actually helping people.............instead of just making some f*cking corporation some more money.

So there it is................f*ck I miss you guys even more now..............I give anything to go round Bada's for a chat, or out with Pat for a drink, or round TMC's for an eel salad. :wink:

Ohh f*ck.........................

Ps: Pat man, really glad to hear about the house bro..............you guys really deserve this break and cant wait to hear that you guys are settling into youre new home.

REALLY sorry to hear this James. I know how upset you must be. That is a tough blow my friend. I HATE that overqualified crap.

I dont know the economics over there of what this job would pay vs the jobs you have had, but typically when you get the "overqualified" line it is about the economics of the pay. The job pays less than what you HAD been making so the hiring manager(s) says to himself "this person just needs a job and will bolt as soon as he gets a better offer... too much risk" It becomes even exagerated in THIS economy when truly there ARE so many people that just need ANY job.

It costs a lot of money to hire and train and managers are risk adverse and often times would rather take the lesser candidate that they KNOW will be happy with the pay rather than someone who they think is just doing this as a stepping stone to something else.

I am sure you sold your desire for the WORK in your interview and sounds like he was on board. Too bad the rest were not.

IF this is TRULY your dream scenario, then DONT let it go here. At a minimum, you have made a solid impression on someone in the organization. You dont want to burn that bridge and come across as not respecting their decision, but there perhaps is some action you can take.

Sounds like you have already talked with him and I am sure you said things to the effect of "I thank you for the opportunity to discuss a career in your organization. I am dissapointed that I have not been selected as I know I have the desire and skill set to succeed in the position, but I respect the decision that has been made". EVEN IF YOU DONT! :banghead:

But like I said, if this is TRULY something you wish to do, you might have to be willing sacrifice a bit and show them you really are interested because of your desire for the work, not the pay.

You could follow up with him with something like this:

"Mr. Blank, once again thanks for the opportunity to discuss employment in your organization. It was a pleasure to meet you and your staff and I enjoyed learning more about the organization and opportunity.

As we discussed in my in-person interview, this type of work (be more specific) is something I really aspire to and am passionate about. While I understand the position I interviewed for is no longer available, I was wondering if there are any volunteer positions in your organization that might be available?

Additionally I would like for you to keep my application on hand for consideration for any future opportunities in your organization"

something to that effect. It is not likely there are any volunteer positions but what it does show is your willingness to do what it takes and your passion for the job. Perhaps one of the new people flame out.... hopefully you will bounce right to the top of this guys head in that case.

It may not result in anything, but it is a positive contact relationship that CANNOT hurt. You build enough of those they eventually lead somewhere.

I do believer whether it is this or something else, you will find something that is a better situation for you.

Keep your head up bro!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:10 pm
I'm... well, shocked falls short of describing the way I feel right now. I'm sorry, James.

OVERQUALIFIED???. Come on, what bunch of crap is that?. You CANNOT be overqualified to do a job. You're either qualified or not (at least here, but I'm gonna take Bada's line about the economics and roll with that meaning for "overqualified"). So... supposing the problem is that, due to your past jobs and the way the interview went along, they got the feeling that it was just temporary and you would leave as soon as you could find anything better... I guess you were clear in the interview that you wanted THAT job in particular, right? (just talking out loud, I know you did, so don't bother answering).

In that case, and if you appeased all their fears about bolting during the interview... I don't get it. Unless it's related to them granting the job to somebody else with more... you know, "connections" (hey, it happens. A lot, actually). In that case, you can't blame yourself for anything, because no matter what you did, the job wasn't gonna be yours. And considering it was only one position, I wouldn't rule out that being the case.

Although... to be honest, I suggest you follow Bada's advice. I know I wouldn't be able to, but maybe because I'm a bit hot-blooded when I'm disappointed... and it's a different culture and all.

Oh, god... thank god I don't have to do interviews anymore...

But I digress. This is all about you. I think you have to, as I said above, follow Bada's advice and take it as a contact for future jobs, or maybe for another spot in the same job, in case it becomes available.

Come back to that guy, say something about how much you wanted the position (without being obnoxious, you know) to inmediately thank him for the chance of interviewing and see what happens from there...

And... just remember that you have a perfect example, one post above mine, of somebody that had to endure a lot but eventually found the right job, the one he deserved. Same thing will happen to you, mate.

And now, keep your head up and go on, bro!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:57 pm
I've been told that overqualified crap over ten times in the last six years, since finishing my degree. I then managed to score a job in a lesser education required field, for very little pay I might add and then subsequent jobs after that were in that same field and I got them far easier, becaude of the previous experience I now had. You have to take in the arse and get into that field with a cheap position, really at the bottom of the chain for some small company.

When you can't get a job relating to your degree or school education, it really gets to you, but you have to move on, simpler to say. It is bad to say the least

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:36 am
Wowiie.............when it rains it pours huh?

Thanks alot for the advice guys............and youre spot on of course (funny how I created this thread in the morning to say sorry and then by the afternoon it turns into the "Help Bigs Thread")...........and tomorrow I shall give the guy a call and have a chat along those lines, not burning my bridges of course.

So yeah..........fun weekend!!! :roll:

Wouldnt mind a chat on Skype today if you guys have the time?.............I need to speak to my bro council. :wink:

Return to Off-Topic Forum