The Oakland Athletics Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:50 pm
PAWNO wrote:But to be more specific. Your from the East Bay. Pittsburgh. . . Your allegiance should really be to the Athletics & Raiders. . . But that's ok. In fact i think all Bay area teams based at the collesium are in a big negativity zone. Just wait til A's move to San Jose. The Dubs over the bridge to AT&T park n the Raiders back to L.A. Those franchises will probably have a reversal of fortune n go onto having dominating dynasty.

Actually dont know if that is true. Remember, Xbay is pretty darn young. I dont even know if the Raiders were in Oakland when he was born. Certainly as he grew up, they were the Los Angeles Raiders. Why would he root for an LA team?
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:05 pm
bada wrote:
PAWNO wrote:But to be more specific. Your from the East Bay. Pittsburgh. . . Your allegiance should really be to the Athletics & Raiders. . . But that's ok. In fact i think all Bay area teams based at the collesium are in a big negativity zone. Just wait til A's move to San Jose. The Dubs over the bridge to AT&T park n the Raiders back to L.A. Those franchises will probably have a reversal of fortune n go onto having dominating dynasty.

Actually dont know if that is true. Remember, Xbay is pretty darn young. I dont even know if the Raiders were in Oakland when he was born. Certainly as he grew up, they were the Los Angeles Raiders. Why would he root for an LA team?
key word 'grew up' :mrgreen: certainly know one's going to question a 14 year old if he changes his allegiance <especially if the bandwagonism involves going to a team with a worse record> but i guess once your hooked it's hard to change
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:14 pm
PAWNO wrote:
bada wrote:

key word 'grew up' :mrgreen: certainly know one's going to question a 14 year old if he changes his allegiance <especially if the bandwagonism involves going to a team with a worse record> but i guess once your hooked it's hard to change

at 13 is when I moved to the east bay from seattle. You could not have paid me enough money to ditch the hawks for the Raiders... but then again, those teams were division rivals. Would be easier for Xbay to adopt a team that in in another conference.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:58 pm
bada wrote:
PAWNO wrote:
bada wrote:

at 13 is when I moved to the east bay from seattle. You could not have paid me enough money to ditch the hawks for the Raiders... but then again, those teams were division rivals. Would be easier for Xbay to adopt a team that in in another conference.

Yeah, the Raiders didn't move back to Oakland 'til '95; I was born in '92.

I grew up in the East Bay and yes, technically I should be an A's/Raiders fan, but I just happened to become a Niner/Giants fan because my father grew up in San Francisco and grew up rooting for those two teams and guess what teams he introduced me to... the Giants, 49ers, and Warriors(later on).
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:36 am
SO what are your guys thoughts and inner feelings about ARod-over-the-mound-gate?

Personally, I've never heard mentioned this so-called unwritten rule of not stepping on the pitcher's mound. However, when I played baseball (and I have played at ATT Park and the Colliseum :wink:) I would go out of my way to avoid stepping on the mound (in fact, sometimes I'd make my way back to first by going thru second, due to not being sure of the rules). I had no knowledge of what was right or wrong, only just what felt right to do.

So A-Rod crossed the mound? Bad? I'd say more absent minded. I don't think it's a direct insult to Dallas or the A's, but more of an indication of the lack of focus A-Rod is capable of. Watching a Giants game the other day, I notcied a player purposely avoiding the dirt of the pitchers mound. You'd think A-Rod would have picked up and adopted that habit after playing baseball for so many years.

As for Dallas, he may have been right to be upset and feel disrespected, but homeboy overreacted. He was going into Zidane territory of feeling disrespected. I read that he was ill and dehydrated, so perhaps that played a role in his actions.

To conclude, it's a whole lot of nothing.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:03 pm
HUGE CONGRATS to Dallas Braden for pitching only the 19th PERFECT GAME in major league history!

Especially in light of the "who's he" comments from A-Rod.

Way to go Dallas!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:16 pm
bada wrote:HUGE CONGRATS to Dallas Braden for pitching only the 19th PERFECT GAME in major league history!

Especially in light of the "who's he" comments from A-Rod.

Way to go Dallas!

never been the biggest baseball addicando but i understand the feat this guy just did. Amazing. . . . Btw couple of baseball Q,s

if your fortunate enough to get a perfect game, does that imply the pitchers team wins? I don't know if they have multiple pitchers per game. But i do know in the playoffs they have specific pitchers for specific games.

Unlike The Bucaneers. TAMPA Bay in baseball is one of the dominators in there league- Is Tampa known more for there hitters or pitchers <like warriors is too offense & bobcats is too defense>
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:22 pm
It is an EXTREMELY rare thing. There probably have been over 200,000 MBL games in its history... it had only happened 18 times before

that is like .00009% of the time.

Yes, it does imply they won the game. He went the full distance.... 27 faced, 27 retired.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:52 pm
To go no walks, no hits, no errors is amazing. Getting no hits and no errors is one thing, but NO WALKS. And after the whole A-Rod issue, too. Major props to the kid.

And to do it on Mother's Day, too. Twas a special moment between him and his grandmother after the game. She raised him after his mother died while he was a child. To be able to honor two mother's in one game is such a warming, beautiful sight.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:58 pm
After doing a bit of research on the topic of a perfect game. I was dumbfounded to hear that last athletic to do this was catfish hunter. . . . Honestly some parents don't deserve the right to name there children. Does anyone remember catfish? Was he any good?
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:43 am
PAWNO wrote:After doing a bit of research on the topic of a perfect game. I was dumbfounded to hear that last athletic to do this was catfish hunter. . . . Honestly some parents don't deserve the right to name there children. Does anyone remember catfish? Was he any good?

Pawno,
I wasnt around during his time, but he was a great player. He is a Hall of Fame pitcher and his name wasnt really Catfish, it was Jim. There have been very few perfect games in MLB history. It is very unique, more than a no-hitter, because it means that nobody, the entire game steps on first base against you.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:45 am
What a mothers day tribute by Dallas Braden to both his mother and grandmother. It was a sweet sight to see him on the field with his grandma after the game and she had a great comment about the Arod situation in the post game presser. Somebody asked her if this would slience Arod and she said that Arod can stick it! Gotta love Grandma!!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:34 pm
Nice sweep of the giants! That always feels good. Only gave up 1 run the whole series!

But we better start hitting soon or we are not going anywhere.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:53 pm
bada wrote:Nice sweep of the giants! That always feels good. Only gave up 1 run the whole series!

how'd the crowd support look at battle of bay. Last year when i went to A's there was about no more then 10000 people in the house.

I guess that's one of the reason they moving to San jose (attendance is hurting)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:53 pm
PAWNO wrote:
bada wrote:Nice sweep of the giants! That always feels good. Only gave up 1 run the whole series!

how'd the crowd support look at battle of bay. Last year when i went to A's there was about no more then 10000 people in the house.

I guess that's one of the reason they moving to San jose (attendance is hurting)

its complete crap. nobody goes to the games. this series was near capacity but mostly because of giants fans.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board