Forget AlJeff, Love, Gasol, and Bosh

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:23 pm
These are the names we have discussed trying to acquire to address our glaring front court issue.

While Love and Gasol are certainly interesting to me, my dream is Al Horford. Loved him coming out of college and love him even more as a pro.

I dont have much faith in his availability, but if there is a guy I would be willing to put a hefty trade package together for, it would be him.

He gives us exactly the type of player we need to start recontructing this team into a legitimate contender. With Johnson and Smith there, Horford is relegated to being a "glue" guy, rather than a focal point. But he is capable of being SO much more in my mind.

I just dont think there is much this guy CANT do. Most likely a pipe dream, but if I owned the team, that is the first call I make.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:37 pm
bada wrote:These are the names we have discussed trying to acquire to address our glaring front court issue.

While Love and Gasol are certainly interesting to me, my dream is Al Horford. Loved him coming out of college and love him even more as a pro.

I dont have much faith in his availability, but if there is a guy I would be willing to put a hefty trade package together for, it would be him.

He gives us exactly the type of player we need to start recontructing this team into a legitimate contender. With Johnson and Smith there, Horford is relegated to being a "glue" guy, rather than a focal point. But he is capable of being SO much more in my mind.

I just dont think there is much this guy CANT do. Most likely a pipe dream, but if I owned the team, that is the first call I make.

Agreed bada, Horford is a stud. Would love to see him as a Warrior.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:39 pm
I have never really noticed him too much. His stats are ok, not bad not great, and he's a little undersized to be center. I'm not sure what you are seeing with this one bada. Not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade for the Warriors, but I'm not sure he'd be the kind of upgrade we need.

I can't say I've seen enough of him to give him a fair shake though.

Would you say he can be a fulltime PF and a dominant paint defender from that position?
* Underhanded Beans Fanclub Leader *

All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:41 pm
Chum wrote:I have never really noticed him too much. His stats are ok, not bad not great, and he's a little undersized to be center. I'm not sure what you are seeing with this one bada. Not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade for the Warriors, but I'm not sure he'd be the kind of upgrade we need.

Would you say he can be a fulltime PF and a dominant paint defender from that position?

His stats are not overwhelming, but he is a great front court player. A strong rebounder and shot blocker and can put the ball in the hole if you need him to.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:47 pm
Chum wrote:I have never really noticed him too much. His stats are ok, not bad not great, and he's a little undersized to be center. I'm not sure what you are seeing with this one bada. Not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade for the Warriors, but I'm not sure he'd be the kind of upgrade we need.

WITHOUT A DOUBT! In my opinion, he is clearly better than Jefferson, Gasol, and Love. Not at Bosh's level but he is different and more of what we need.

excellent defender and good rebounder who is extremely skilled offensively as well.

The Orlando series will probably not be a good indication of his game as he is grossly overmatched by Howard... I like him at the PF spot much more... especially against guys like Orlando.

I guess I am hoping Orlando sweeps them and horford has a bad series to perhaps make him somewhat available... but again, I think that is a pipe dream but there is no question in my mind I would rather have him than any others on this list.... as it gets us closer to the team I would like to see us be.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:40 pm
yer Im a big wrap on Horford. He's a much better Al that Miggy's Al ;)
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:51 pm
Horford does his job well, but he is definately a role player. Horford can't be called on to score alot, he can do that every few games, like many players can, but he is a rebounder and defender and as has been said, an undersized Center a bit. I wouldn't trade more than AB and Azu, as an example, for him.

I like MGasol alot and think he'd be the best Center, reckon he is close to the best Center in the nba outside the stars right now. He will also improve and is real young and those are the things that make me like him so much. He defends and rebounds so well and the man has shown he can score inside very well. That's me though

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:10 pm
migya wrote:Horford does his job well, but he is definately a role player. Horford can't be called on to score alot, he can do that every few games, like many players can, but he is a rebounder and defender and as has been said, an undersized Center a bit. I wouldn't trade more than AB and Azu, as an example, for him.

I like MGasol alot and think he'd be the best Center, reckon he is close to the best Center in the nba outside the stars right now. He will also improve and is real young and those are the things that make me like him so much. He defends and rebounds so well and the man has shown he can score inside very well. That's me though

Because Horford does not score a lot, does not mean he CANT score a lot. He is being woefully underused in ATL. I know you dont watch many games migya and largely your evaluations are based on box scores so I can see why you have this opinion of Horford, however it is misguided in my opinion.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:01 pm
bada wrote:
migya wrote:Horford does his job well, but he is definately a role player. Horford can't be called on to score alot, he can do that every few games, like many players can, but he is a rebounder and defender and as has been said, an undersized Center a bit. I wouldn't trade more than AB and Azu, as an example, for him.

Because Horford does not score a lot, does not mean he CANT score a lot. He is being woefully underused in ATL. I know you dont watch many games migya and largely your evaluations are based on box scores so I can see why you have this opinion of Horford, however it is misguided in my opinion.

I have seen a few games with him and he looks pretty good, but not that skilled really, not compared to other bigs. I remember that in college he was not that much of a scorer either

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:35 am
migs, based on many of your statements this year about players, it is obvious you really dont watch FULL games. Perhaps some highlights here and there and perhaps youtube clips, but certainly not full games.

Not a dig on you, because obviously it is difficult for an aussie to watch many games of a US based sport, but you gotta get out of making blanket statements about players based on box scores.

Horford is an extremely skilled basketball player that is as fundamentally sound big man as you will find. With Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, and Crawford on the team, he does not get as many offensive looks as he should. He is a very good offensive player.

Not saying he is a world beater or is the best in the league any anything in particular, but he can score, defend, and rebound at a high level. Much more effective player than Jefferson if you ask me and I love his workman attitude. No ego.... just goes to work every night.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:03 am
I'm with you all the way, Bada... but Atlanta would be crazy to trade Horford to us (unless the deal involves Curry, which would be incredibly foolish), so... it's even more of a pipe dream than most names we've talked about.

I'd LOVE to have him above almost any other, tho, except maybe Bosh...

Well, scratch the maybe... :wink:

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:07 am
I think the reason he hasn't been on my big man radar is because I just don't think they will deal him, particularly in the face of possibly losing Johnson in the offseason. Are they really desperate enough for a complete makeover? If they are, I think they would more apt to deal Josh Smith, as weird as that sounds because he's always been out of favor with management. And even though he's shown maturity in limiting his 3 point shots this year, some of the fanbase is cool to him. In a way, he's a little like our Monta, but a lot more valuable.

Horford could almost be a Center in a Nelly system, about the same height and weight as Derrick Favors. Somewhat undersized. But doable. But where would that leave the Hawks, with Pachulia (sp?) and Smith? They also don't have a high draft pick.

I guess I tend to bottom feeding in my search for a big man. The one thing you can say abouit both Minnesota and Memphis is that they are well stocked with big men. It's hard for me to see Memphis giving up Gasol as they already have shown their uncertainty about Thabeet by trying to deal him to us.
Kevin Love's performance tailing off at the end of the season and his incompatibility with Jefferson is a little encouraging. I fantasize about a Monta/ Morrow for Love and Seesions as I'd imagine they's welcome getting rid of a longterm backup PG contract since they have Flynn, 4 upcoming draft picks, and the possibility of Rubio joining them next year. And Sessions would be an excellent backup PG if we lose CJ in the offseason.
War Years
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:14 am
TMC wrote:I'm with you all the way, Bada... but Atlanta would be crazy to trade Horford to us (unless the deal involves Curry, which would be incredibly foolish), so... it's even more of a pipe dream than most names we've talked about.

I'd LOVE to have him above almost any other, tho, except maybe Bosh...

Well, scratch the maybe... :wink:

yeah, Bosh would be awesome. I just dont see us being able to get him with the money he wants and dont think he would want to come here so doing a sign and trade would be near impossible.

Yes, it is a pipe dream and no, I would not trade Curry to get him so realize it is a long shot, but I think he is on the verge of stardom (despite him being an all-star already this year) that perhaps their is a sliver of possibility before it is too late.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:12 pm
interesting stat on Horford I saw today...

According to Synergy Sports Technology, Horford has held his opponents to 0.69 points per post-up, a mark that ranks him first among all players who have faced at least 100 post-ups this year.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:16 pm
Interesting read from a Hawks fan blogger. Interesting in that I completely agree with his assesment of Horford. LOL

http://www.humanhighlightblog.com/2010/ ... de-al.html
Next

Return to Trades