GSW DEATHMATCH: DRAFT IS COMPLETE!!! :-)

Forum for any fantasy basketball leagues being organized

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:52 am
PAWNO wrote:INTERESTING READ IN REGARDS TO KEEPER LEAGUE

I personally like the 2 round rule... But would be good to get feedback on what kind of league y'all want

I agree Pawno, I like the 2 round rule as well. This would give more of an advantage to people who know what they are doing in the middle to late rounds. I mean, if you get lucky and win the first pick in the draft, you should not be able to keep that guy for the next several years. The 2 round system pretty much only allows you to keep guys picked after the 3rd round, so it keeps the upper end talent pool fresh and at the same time gives guys a bonus for making a great pick late in the draft.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:59 am
"Always" Next wrote:

I personally like the 2 round rule... But would be good to get feedback on what kind of league y'all want

I agree Pawno, I like the 2 round rule as well. This would give more of an advantage to people who know what they are doing in the middle to late rounds. I mean, if you get lucky and win the first pick in the draft, you should not be able to keep that guy for the next several years. The 2 round system pretty much only allows you to keep guys picked after the 3rd round, so it keeps the upper end talent pool fresh and at the same time gives guys a bonus for making a great pick late in the draft.

So has it been decided that this will be a keeper league? I dont think it is the best format for this type of league and our turnover rate is very high. Keeper leagues only work well when you retain all of your owners for years and years. just my 2 cents
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:13 am
bada wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:

So has it been decided that this will be a keeper league? I dont think it is the best format for this type of league and our turnover rate is very high. Keeper leagues only work well when you retain all of your owners for years and years. just my 2 cents

You do have to have a dedicated group bada, which may make it difficult to run on an internet forum. It kills you when you never know from year to year who is coming back and whos team you may need to find a replacement owner for.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:29 pm
The promising thing Bada is that i've been playing fantasy football with the same group of guys for 2 years running. The only addition last year was always next. But his turned out to be a valuable contributor on this board & a all out fantasy whore this year. . . I'm cool to have a vote on this & ask that if successful. That no one enters if they don't envision playing with each other for years to come. I think it's important to establish what type of keeper league suits everyome best n go from there.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:22 pm
bada wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. We keep a core of players every year, but also add a few each new season, so a keeper league might not be a great idea with that in mind.

Actually, I think I'd rather have a keeper league in bball, not football. But hey, if everybody votes for it, I'm ok with that as well.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:35 pm
TMC - I personally feel fantasy football option of keeper league is safer then hoops. Think about the participant change this year. U had BIGS who was unavailable. Mr crackers who couldn't continue. & 2 new players to the mix this year. The rigors of setting daily lineups for 5 months takes it toll & i'd bet my right testicle u would have more people pulling out of the keeper league in hoops then football. I'd like your vote for keeper league on that theory alone bro. U know you would be commited to it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:48 pm
PAWNO wrote:TMC - I personally feel fantasy football option of keeper league is safer then hoops. Think about the participant change this year. U had BIGS who was unavailable. Mr crackers who couldn't continue. & 2 new players to the mix this year. The rigors of setting daily lineups for 5 months takes it toll & i'd bet my right testicle u would have more people pulling out of the keeper league in hoops then football. I'd like your vote for keeper league on that theory alone bro. U know you would be commited to it.

I was talking about the sport, not the participants. Everythings is more predictable in bball, as the NFL landscape changes every year. A keepers league in bball involves more strategy... a keepers league in football involves a lot of strategy... but also luck.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:59 pm
I like the idea of keeping up to 2 or 3 players on a roster. But every player u keep u lose a draft pick in the 1st rounds. That way if someone pulls out and someone was to take over the team the very next year. They could keep some of the players or start fresh on the talent pool. If we did that i'd say hold the draft right after week 4 of preseason to prevent any team wrecking injuries. Bada- u like the idea <u seem like the wise head around these traps>
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:08 pm
PAWNO wrote:I like the idea of keeping up to 2 or 3 players on a roster. But every player u keep u lose a draft pick in the 1st rounds. That way if someone pulls out and someone was to take over the team the very next year. They could keep some of the players or start fresh on the talent pool. If we did that i'd say hold the draft right after week 4 of preseason to prevent any team wrecking injuries. Bada- u like the idea <u seem like the wise head around these traps>

Keeper leagues are great. Even better are Dynasty Leagues but those are hard core and not the format for here.

I certainly am up for a keeper league if that is what you guys want to do. I only speak from experience from keeper leagues in these type of informal settings that while in theory it sounds great, it does get difficult when you have turnover.

TYPICALLY the people that were absolute crap, dont return. So try finding a replacement for that team when he has nobody keeper worthy and with all the other teams keeping 2 players, you are faced with building your team with Breese, Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, MJD, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, etc all protected.

Does not matter that everyone loses a draft pick, you are picking from rookies and 2nd tier players. Really hard to compete. Not impossible but recruiting someone new to take over a situation like that is very difficult.

A keeper league by structure creates turnover unless you have a dedicated group of people. If you have a crap season, most end up quitting because hard to rebuild and compete... if it is not a keeper league, people are more tempted to come back because everyone starts off fresh on equal footing.

Again, I am up for whatever. Just dont expect it to be as easy to find someone to take over a crap team that was abandoned.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:41 pm
To be honest, i would much rather prefer a dynasty league versus a keeper league. in fact, i would probably prefer a year to year thing (as we typically do) than a keeper league. I just don't get that "lets keep 1 or 2 players and risk picks... i am more all in or all out.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:05 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:To be honest, i would much rather prefer a dynasty league versus a keeper league. in fact, i would probably prefer a year to year thing (as we typically do) than a keeper league. I just don't get that "lets keep 1 or 2 players and risk picks... i am more all in or all out.

Yeah, it'd be great to have a dynasty league... but problem is getting enough players committed to it. That's the only way it can work. I guess we could have... what?. 5 or 6 guys with that level of compromise? Bada, Pawno, XBay, Always, you and me?. Aussie maybe?. Who else?
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:16 am
Lure in the Englishman!
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:57 am
xbay wrote:Lure in the Englishman!

Im lured..............although I havent even read what Im being lured into.

If TMC is involved............Im out!..............Im still sore from the last time he shamelessly lured into one of his "games". :oops:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:14 am
bigstrads wrote:
xbay wrote:Lure in the Englishman!

Im lured..............although I havent even read what Im being lured into.

If TMC is involved............Im out!..............Im still sore from the last time he shamelessly lured into one of his "games". :oops:

That's great news mate! 8)

It's still early days, but we are deciding on the architecture of our Fantasy Football League this year, Lot of us have been playing for along time & even though we are still months out... The discussion is about having a roster that carries over in some form from year to year! If for some reason you don't enjoy it after year 1, then will cross that bridge when we come to it... But trust me Fantasy Football is addictive11

Ok so Bigs, your name is down &. Starting this September you'll have 16 weeks of pure Trash talk so i suggest you bring your ThesaurASS to this thread. Just one note guys ... I suggest we do a Online Draft when we roll around to it, So BIGS can use any predetermined Rankings!!!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:14 am
bigstrads wrote:If TMC is involved............Im out!..............Im still sore from the last time he shamelessly lured into one of his "games". :oops:

Oh, come on!!!. You gotta be kidding me!!!. You can't possibly keep feeling the soreness after one month... :mrgreen:

PAWNO wrote:Ok so Bigs, your name is down &. Starting this September you'll have 16 weeks of pure Trash talk so i suggest you bring your ThesaurASS to this thread.

Translation: you have 16 weeks to upgrade your knowledge in football to human standards... :mrgreen:

PAWNO wrote:Just one note guys ... I suggest we do a Online Draft when we roll around to it, So BIGS can use any predetermined Rankings!!!

Online is... well, ok, I guess, but it won't be easy having to fit three or 4 time zones into one date and time. It's probably gonna have to be on a weekend.
PreviousNext

Return to Fantasy League Forum