RIP Guru

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:41 am
front man from my all time fave hip hop group, Gangstarr died yesterday

RIP
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:25 am
He suffered a stroke a while back right? Sucks man, I wasnt too big into Gangstarr but they had some good songs.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:09 pm
Yeah, I wasn't a huge Gang Starr fan, but I remember when they were at Rock the Bells like two years ago. Pretty good.

Guru worked with Big L, my favorite MC, on a song. And he did some stuff with the Wu-Tang Clan, too.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:51 pm
Got the honor to meet Guru. He was at a club after party which i just happened to be @. It was Australia day, hot as hell n he was wearing a wallabies jersey. I proceeded to talk to him about rugby union & i guess he was just a casual fan as he politely interrupted n said he couldn't continue this conversation as he neede to save his voice for upcoming shows on tour <which could be half true as he always sounded like he'd started smoking at age of 4> . . . . Anyways the coolest part of that night was he ended up chilling with the girls i was there with. One of the girls sarah suggested going back to her place for a weed session. As left the club. I did the math guru n bodyguard plus 2 girls = me being the odd man out! I spoke to Sarah. She said she Fuckt him. But i was worried for guru hoping he wore condoms cause he went home with 2 super skanks <1 was a methhead, the other died from a heroin overdose a few years back>
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:21 pm
PAWNO wrote:Got the honor to meet Guru. He was at a club after party which i just happened to be @. It was Australia day, hot as hell n he was wearing a wallabies jersey. I proceeded to talk to him about rugby union & i guess he was just a casual fan as he politely interrupted n said he couldn't continue this conversation as he neede to save his voice for upcoming shows on tour <which could be half true as he always sounded like he'd started smoking at age of 4> . . . . Anyways the coolest part of that night was he ended up chilling with the girls i was there with. One of the girls sarah suggested going back to her place for a weed session. As left the club. I did the math guru n bodyguard plus 2 girls = me being the odd man out! I spoke to Sarah. She said she Fuckt him. But i was worried for guru hoping he wore condoms cause he went home with 2 super skanks <1 was a methhead, the other died from a heroin overdose a few years back>

Damn Pawno, Thats kinda heavy.

But yeah "Mass Appeal" and "Work" are my two favorite songs. I remember hearing "Mass Appeal in Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4 when I was like 13 and loving it ever since.

Hey Xbay, do you know what song Guru did with Big L? Big L was another guy who died wayyyy too young. If his catalog would have been bigger he would definitely be better known because he was good on the mic.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:01 pm
metalface wrote:Hey Xbay, do you know what song Guru did with Big L? Big L was another guy who died wayyyy too young. If his catalog would have been bigger he would definitely be better known because he was good on the mic.

He collaborated on a song on Big L's "The Big Picture" album. It was called "Games." I bet had Big L still be alive to this day, they would of collaborated even more. Not my favorite song(most of my favorite songs were off Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous), but a pretty good one. The beat is pretty cool, and the verses are good.

But agreed on the Big L statement. I thought LODPD was a good album(one of my favorite and something I'd hold in my grave), crazy verses... that man was gifted on the mic(and crazy). I guess he didn't get much rep... and then once he died Jay Z started to get even bigger.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx2NaK8QBRs[/youtube]
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:44 pm
L would've blown up for sure, such a waste of talent.

Im not sure Gangstarr are getting the respect they deserve in this thread though lol. Guru was both nice and unique on the mic and Premier? Greatest producer hip hop has seen. The man is responsible for sooooooooo many classics. Pretty much ruled hip hops "Golden Era"
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:07 am
Quazza wrote:L would've blown up for sure, such a waste of talent.

Im not sure Gangstarr are getting the respect they deserve in this thread though lol. Guru was both nice and unique on the mic and Premier? Greatest producer hip hop has seen. The man is responsible for sooooooooo many classics. Pretty much ruled hip hops "Golden Era"

I agree on the statement DJ PREMIER is best PRODUCER

Unfortuneately he never really produced any PLATINUM Songs (That's Jay Z & Dre bread n butter)

But yeah kind of hard to get love when nobody knows ya in the mainstream
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:45 am
ah but he did.Gangstarrs Lovesick went platinum in the 80s as did one other huge hit that not many realise was his......

Aint no other man - Christina Aguilerra !

oh and Jay Z isn't a producer (but now Im nit-picking:P)

Return to Off-Topic Forum