*OFFICIAL NBA PLAYOFFS AND PREDICTIONS THREAD*

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:15 pm
JSU2004 wrote:
War Years wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
JSU2004 wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I predict the NBA players will predictable and boring.

Did you prefer the NCAA Tourney better? Honestly after the first two rounds the rest of the tourney wasn't really that good to me. There were only two games the rest of the tourney were I was like "them dudes making plays." Those were the K-State vs Xavier game and the Tennessee vs Ohio State game. Every other game including the final four games were really that exciting. Which is sad because most of the games were close.

I do agree the NBA playoffs is usually predictable, but that's because you do play 7 game series so the best team usually wins. I don't necessarily agree with the boring. There were a few good series, not just games, last year Bulls vs Celtics, Lakers vs Rockets, Cavs vs Magic, and Lakers vs Nuggets.

I think the NCAA will get significantly worse once it expands to 96 games. It will be diluting the good product. The thing is, I hate it when leagues abuse their power and try to get as much money as possible, often resulting in quality as a casualty. Baseball plays 162 games, and their playoffs are only 3 rounds (1st round being best of 5). NFL only lasts 1 month.

See, for me as a sports fan, it is all about quality. Think about this, the NBA finals START in June. That's absolutely ridiculous. I don't watch the playoffs until the finals (and usually until then, I have minor interest). The NFL/NCAA have each playoff game a single elimination. Only 8 teams make the playoffs in baseball, so it makes the regular season that much more important (even if its 162 games). In the NBA, over 50% of teams make it AND they all have best of 7 game series. IMO, all of that results in a long, predictable and boring playoffs.

My Solution for the NBA playoffs: Keep the 16 teams that make it in. However, 1st round should be a best of 3, 2nd round should be best of 5, and the final 2 rounds then be a best of 7. That takes away the initial predictability in the first couple weeks (and speeding up the initial rounds); while having the deserved 7 game grind where it should be: towards the end of the playoffs. OR, another solution would be to allow 12 teams into the playoffs, with the first two teams of each conference have a first round bye. The format for this would be similar to that of above, which first round would be best of 3, second round best of 5....I mean, look at these predictions you all have... more or less, they all look the same.

If we were to limit teams, I'd go with the Baseball and Football wild card systems. I'd have the 3 conference winners get a bye, and have 2 wild cards from the East and West play each other for the chance to play the #1 seed of the East and West. That would be effectively 10 teams in the playoffs. But I don't think that could happen now.

I agree with you Crackerz, this goes on way too long. Unfortuanately, it's hard to reign in games and teams once you've expanded the playoffs to 16 teams. In my mind if you are going to have 16 playoff teams , you should have at least 40 overall teams. Unfortunately at this time the NBA has enough financial problems with 30 teams. Which is exactly why they won't limit teams and games, because these are the most profitable games of the year. One thing they could do though, . Is to play every other day, Allow no more than 2 days between play off rounds. I could also see having a back to back game on games 3 and 4 of each round.

I mean, look at these predictions you all have... more or less, they all look the same.

Yeah, but 2 years ago, the choices were a lot more exciting. I think you would get better playoff competition with fewer teams. Just the disparity between the 1st and 8th seed in the NBA is almost insurmountable.

In essence it sounds like I'm hearing the predictability of the playoffs makes it boring. I've never really thought about changing the playoffs (I wouldn't be opposed to this), but I have thought the NBA needs to reduce the number of teams.

Cracks, you said you mainly watch the final. If that's truly the case, I can't really think of a lot of exciting NBA Finals lately. In the last 20 years, I don't think I can name 5 competitive NBA finals (Heat vs Mavs, Spurs vs Pistons, Rockets vs Knicks).

I never said they were competitive. And you are right. They usually are locks right away as well. And actually, i didn't even watch the finals last year (I was in europe and away from access).

I remember a few years back when the Cav's vs. Wiz series was on in the first round. That was fun Bball... but the inconsistency of calls was absolutely atrocious, it just fueled my suspicion on how this league is run. I dunno, maybe LeBron is just too fast for officials for them not to see him have 4 steps at a time.

But the maybe the funnest NBA finals for me was the one where the Pistons upset the Lakers. That final was Pistons from game one, but the win was so shocking (as of course, the Lakers were heavy favorites) that people were waiting for the Lakers to eventually make that rally and win the series. They never did. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:20 am
Denver beat Utah to go up 1-0 and the Jazz not only have aK injured, but now Okur could be as well, maybe missing time in this series. If so, I think they're done and Denver will win 4-1 or even sweep. Then again, Millsap will get much more time and that could be a good thing for them.

Cleveland beat Chicago quite easily.

Atlanta beat Milwaukee after being up a heap in the first half and then having to hold off the Bucks, with Jennings having a great game.

Boston beat Miami nd KG could get suspended for hitting QRich

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:49 am
Denver is tougher than Utah overall. They just might runover the Jazz (if Deron and Boozer don't get any help), and they have Coach Karl to play for.... as a factor... and is Kenyon back yet? that could significantly change things.

Miami is going to give Boston more trouble than I first thought.
though I think Boston still makes it past the first round.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:21 am
Money Morrow wrote:Denver is tougher than Utah overall. They just might runover the Jazz (if Deron and Boozer don't get any help), and they have Coach Karl to play for.... as a factor... and is Kenyon back yet? that could significantly change things.

I heard Gasol talking about how he feels that, if everything goes according to plan, they should beat OKC in the first round, face Denver in the second and Dallas in the West finals... and how he feels Denver is gonna be the toughest matchup by far, becaues they're the only team that plays any kind of remarkable defense from that group.

Money Morrow wrote:Miami is going to give Boston more trouble than I first thought.

Yep, I just don't feel this Celtics team at all. I think they'll make it through this round, but they're second round fodder...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:52 am
TMC wrote:
Money Morrow wrote:Denver is tougher than Utah overall. They just might runover the Jazz (if Deron and Boozer don't get any help), and they have Coach Karl to play for.... as a factor... and is Kenyon back yet? that could significantly change things.

I heard Gasol talking about how he feels that, if everything goes according to plan, they should beat OKC in the first round, face Denver in the second and Dallas in the West finals... and how he feels Denver is gonna be the toughest matchup by far, becaues they're the only team that plays any kind of remarkable defense from that group.

He could be right, but I do think Dallas could beat the Lakers, they are much tougher now with Butler and Haywood. Fully healthy, Dallas is more talented and it just takes Haywood and Dampier defending well and rebounding like they can and the Mavs outmatch them I think. They can't match Kobe, and that could be the difference, but the other positions I think make up for it

TMC wrote:
Money Morrow wrote:Miami is going to give Boston more trouble than I first thought.

Yep, I just don't feel this Celtics team at all. I think they'll make it through this round, but they're second round fodder...

If they get it together, the Celts could still be th best team. Right now, Rondo is out of sorts and has been for a few weeks. Too many ifs right now for Boston, so they might well lose in the 2nd round

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:27 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

He could be right, but I do think Dallas could beat the Lakers, they are much tougher now with Butler and Haywood. Fully healthy, Dallas is more talented and it just takes Haywood and Dampier defending well and rebounding like they can and the Mavs outmatch them I think. They can't match Kobe, and that could be the difference, but the other positions I think make up for it

Well, the keys for the playoffs he talked about (from a Lakers point of view, obviously) were getting Bynum back (and being some kind of factor), which would allow to bring Odom from the bench and helping Fisher, 'cos age is showing in his performance this year. He says he's a leader in the locker room, but that on the court Fisher's hurting the team, because he's a step too slow for everything, which means he fouls too much because he's late on the assignment, his shots are getting blocked often and the like...

I was quite suprised to hear something so... honest and open about a teammate. Guess he didn't realize it would leak into the USA. Or he doesn't care, which is more likely. He's been really careful with everything he says before, so that's probably the most likely case.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:25 pm
Lakers took game one... I hope they don't sweep... tire them out ZombieSonics!!!

Garnett is such an elbow throwing punk-*ss hothead...

Watching the Bobcats/Magic game right now with Steven Jackson, Matt Barnes, Michael Pietrus, and Larry Hughes... any other former Warriors I missed. sheesh.

Pietrus for 3!! lol... man I used to hear that on the radio all the time driving back and forth from my gig in San Jo.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:59 pm
Mr. Crackerz said:
But the maybe the funnest NBA finalThat final s for me was the one where the Pistons upset the Lakers. was Pistons from game one,

I remember that fondly too, Crackerz, but Didn't LA win the first game?. I think I remember an interview with maybe Kobe after that game, talking about doing it in 4? Anyway, great to see the Laker get knocked off their pedestal.

migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

He could be right, but I do think Dallas could bButler and Haywoodeat the Lakers, they are much tougher now with . Fully healthy, Dallas is more talented and it just takes Haywood and Dampier defending well and rebounding like they can and the Mavs outmatch them I think. They can't match Kobe, and that could be the difference, but the other positions I think make up for it

TMC wrote:

If they get it together, the Celts could still be th best team. Right now, Rondo is out of sorts and has been for a few weeks. Too many ifs right now for Boston, so they might well lose in the 2nd round

He could be right, but I do think Dallas could bButler and Haywoodeat the Lakers, they are much tougher now with . Fully healthy, Dallas is more talented and it just takes Haywood and Dampier

Yeah they are the wild card, aren't they? Cubans assembled quite a mishmash of players now with Butler, Haywood and Marion. I guess the question is:, is it a "mismash or a mismatch"? I'm hoping that the synthetically put together teams fail. I'm a Giant fan and I didn't really like getting Rick Reuschel in 1989, don't get me wrong, I accepted it gratefully.
Sorry to bore you, Migya, I forgot your an Aussie. Anyway time will tell.

About the Celtics Miami game, One thing I haven't read in the posts here, is that Miami came out in the 3rd quarter to take a 12 pt.? lead. With about 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, the Celtics went on a 21-5,( I believe it was, ) run. They ended up holding Wade and the Heat to 15 points in the last 19 minutes. So I might agree the Celtics won't make the finals. But when it really got down to business, the Celtics just flat out dominated the Heat. No contest!

If the Jazz lose both Okur and Kirilenko, I would have to agree that the Jazz probably are finished. Doggone it, it would have been interesting.
War Years

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:25 pm
War Years wrote:Mr. Crackerz said:
But the maybe the funnest NBA finalThat final s for me was the one where the Pistons upset the Lakers. was Pistons from game one,

I remember that fondly too, Crackerz, but Didn't LA win the first game?. I think I remember an interview with maybe Kobe after that game, talking about doing it in 4? Anyway, great to see the Laker get knocked off their pedestal.

No no, the Pistons won Game 1. But yeah, a lot of columnists had the Lakers winning in 4 (5 tops). The pistons won game one, and surprised everyone. A bunch of people were saying the lakers "weren't ready" and were going to win. Lakers won game two and everyone was like "see", the Lakers are back, and would handle business..

THEN, Mason (Detroit PA annoouncer) does his ultra long introductions as he had been doing all playoffs, and help steal the show with the Pistons easily beat down the Lakers on game 3 and winning from there on . That was the most shocking, yet enjoyable finals, in a long time (for me, that is).
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:04 pm
Go Zombie Sonics!!!!

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:55 pm
I applaud the Zombie Sonics for their effort, but unless they can stop Gasol and Bynum(he went OFF today), they don't stand a chance. Although, I can't imagine how much closer or different this game would of been had Durant been making his shots. Artest harassed him all game.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:59 pm
xbay wrote:Artest harassed him all game.

And that won't change in the whole series... Durant is having to overcome Artest to be a factor, and while I don't doubt he'll be able to at times... it'd be a lot easier with more help.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:42 pm
TMC wrote:

And that won't change in the whole series... Durant is having to overcome Artest to be a factor, and while I don't doubt he'll be able to at times... it'd be a lot easier with more help.

When Westbrook started to get more aggressive, they cut the lead to single digits. Green needs to start knocking his shots down, he missed a couple wide open ones. And actually, when Collison was in, he played some decent defense on Gasol. He didn't let Pau push him around and just stayed with him. He did a better job than Krstic.

Anyone jumping on the Blazer bandwagon now? I wrote them off since Roy is out, but they fought hard tonight. Miller and Aldridge were on it tonight, but Batum stepped it up big. Him and Webster combined to what Roy would usually do against the Suns... and with JRich and Hill struggling, it was just enough.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:40 am
Money Morrow wrote:Lakers took game one... I hope they don't sweep... tire them out ZombieSonics!!!

Garnett is such an elbow throwing punk-*ss hothead...

Watching the Bobcats/Magic game right now with Steven Jackson, Matt Barnes, Michael Pietrus, and Larry Hughes... any other former Warriors I missed. sheesh.

Pietrus for 3!! lol... man I used to hear that on the radio all the time driving back and forth from my gig in San Jo.

KG is a fool and hasn't really changed much, thought he'd be more grown up by now. He may have cost the Celts the series by getting suspended a game.

Bobcats fought against the Magic didn't they. Good to see the lower ranked tems take it to the higher ranked ones

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:45 am
xbay wrote:
TMC wrote:

When Westbrook started to get more aggressive, they cut the lead to single digits. Green needs to start knocking his shots down, he missed a couple wide open ones. And actually, when Collison was in, he played some decent defense on Gasol. He didn't let Pau push him around and just stayed with him. He did a better job than Krstic.

Anyone jumping on the Blazer bandwagon now? I wrote them off since Roy is out, but they fought hard tonight. Miller and Aldridge were on it tonight, but Batum stepped it up big. Him and Webster combined to what Roy would usually do against the Suns... and with JRich and Hill struggling, it was just enough.

Durant has got it tough against a motivated Artest and he'll have to rise to the occassion and if he does, he'll be considered a real megastar, as not many have been able to outdo Artest's defense.

The Thunder really need to get the whole team playing well or they really have no chance, even to win one game maybe. Green must play well and they have to have at least one of their bigs play well. Collison is a fighter and quite a good defender, so maybe he can really be a factor for them.

Can't believe the Blazers won, real surprising. Suns look like pretenders right now, probably already were to some, but I thought they had a real chance, but losing game 1 of their series makes them look weak as such

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Forum