*OFFICIAL NBA PLAYOFFS AND PREDICTIONS THREAD*

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:21 pm
Here are your match ups. Go ahead and post your predictions and notes if you want.

WESTERN CONFERENCE- 1ST ROUND

(1)Los Angeles Lakers vs (8)Oklahoma City Thunder
Regular season series: Lakers won 3-1
Playoff Prediction:
Notes:

(2)Dallas Mavericks vs (7)San Antonio Spurs
Regular season series: Mavericks won 3-1
Playoff Prediction:
Notes:

(3)Phoenix Suns vs (6)Portland Trail Blazers
Regular season series: Trail Blazers won 2-1
Playoff Prediction:
Notes:

(4)Denver Nuggets vs (5)Utah Jazz
Regular season series: Nuggets won 3-1
Playoff Prediction:
Notes:

EASTERN CONFERENCE- 1ST ROUND

(1)Cleveland Cavaliers vs (8)Chicago Bulls
Regular season series: Tied 2-2
Playoff Prediction:
Notes:

(2)Orlando Magic vs (7)Charlotte Bobcats
Regular season series: Magic won 3-1
Playoff Prediction:
Notes:

(3)Atlanta Hawks vs (6)Milwaukee Bucks
Regular season series: Hawks won 2-1
Playoff Prediction:
Notes:

(4)Boston Celtics vs (5)Miami Heat
Regular season series: Celtics won 3-0
Playoff Prediction:
Notes:
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21364
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:25 am
WESTERN CONFERENCE- 1ST ROUND

(1)Los Angeles Lakers vs (8)Oklahoma City Thunder
Regular season series: Lakers won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Lakers 4-2
Notes: Durant to outplay Kobe and everyone else. Westbrook to be unmatched by any Lakers PG. Lakers' bigs being the difference

(2)Dallas Mavericks vs (7)San Antonio Spurs
Regular season series: Mavericks won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Mavs 4-1
Notes: Spurs to finally fall flat and lose in 1st round. Mavs too good everywhere

(3)Phoenix Suns vs (6)Portland Trail Blazers
Regular season series: Trail Blazers won 2-1
Playoff Prediction: Suns 4-0
Notes: Suns too strong everywhere and too healthy. Nash to have it easy, as well as Amare

(4)Denver Nuggets vs (5)Utah Jazz
Regular season series: Nuggets won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Jazz 4-3
Notes: Jazz to win away in 7th game like a few years ago against Houston. Boozer to be a monster, as well as Deron

EASTERN CONFERENCE- 1ST ROUND

(1)Cleveland Cavaliers vs (8)Chicago Bulls
Regular season series: Tied 2-2
Playoff Prediction: Cavs 4-0
Notes: Lebron to have close to the biggest series ever

(2)Orlando Magic vs (7)Charlotte Bobcats
Regular season series: Magic won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Magic 4-0
Notes: Dwight to average about 20 & 20

(3)Atlanta Hawks vs (6)Milwaukee Bucks
Regular season series: Hawks won 2-1
Playoff Prediction: Hawks 4-1
Notes: Bucks in real need of Bogut, crushed inside

(4)Boston Celtics vs (5)Miami Heat
Regular season series: Celtics won 3-0
Playoff Prediction: Celts 4-2
Notes: Celts too strong and healthy. Wade to have monster series and score almost half Heat's points
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:11 am
WESTERN CONFERENCE- 1ST ROUND

(1)Los Angeles Lakers vs (8)Oklahoma City Thunder
Regular season series: Lakers won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Lakers 4-1
Notes: Some interesting individual matchups, and it should be a fun series, but the Zombie Sonics are too thin inside to pose a real threat.

(2)Dallas Mavericks vs (7)San Antonio Spurs
Regular season series: Mavericks won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Mavs 4-2
Notes: Each game should be close, but the Mavs are deeper and younger. Wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs beat them, tho. It's gonna be that close.

(3)Phoenix Suns vs (6)Portland Trail Blazers
Regular season series: Trail Blazers won 2-1
Playoff Prediction: Suns 4-1
Notes: This prediction is based on Roy not playing or being too banged up to be a factor. If he's ready to go, which I doubt, it's gonna be closer than expected.

(4)Denver Nuggets vs (5)Utah Jazz
Regular season series: Nuggets won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Nuggets 4-3
Notes: Melo goes off and Deron's influence is minimized by Chauncey. Still, it will come down to the last game.

EASTERN CONFERENCE- 1ST ROUND

(1)Cleveland Cavaliers vs (8)Chicago Bulls
Regular season series: Tied 2-2
Playoff Prediction: Cavs 4-0
Notes: The Bulls did enough by making the playoffs. The don't have enough weapons to hurt the Cavs (unless Lebron gets injured)

(2)Orlando Magic vs (7)Charlotte Bobcats
Regular season series: Magic won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Magic 4-1
Notes: Same as Chicago, Charlotte is a good team that's not on the same level as Orlando. Their D is pretty decent, so they have a chance to steal, maybe, one game... but that's it.

(3)Atlanta Hawks vs (6)Milwaukee Bucks
Regular season series: Hawks won 2-1
Playoff Prediction: Hawks 4-1
Notes: Again, the Bucks did better than expected just by making the playoffs. Nice year, but holidays start soon, particularly without Bogut.

(4)Boston Celtics vs (5)Miami Heat
Regular season series: Celtics won 3-0
Playoff Prediction: Celts 4-2
Notes: Closer than expected, but if the Celts are healthy, they should beat the Miami Wades...
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:23 pm
WESTERN CONFERENCE- 1ST ROUND

(1)Los Angeles Lakers vs (8)Oklahoma City Thunder
Regular season series: Lakers won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Lakers 4-1
Notes: Yeah, big difference here is the inside games of each teams. The Lakers are just far more superior inside than the Sonics, er... I mean, the Thunder.

(2)Dallas Mavericks vs (7)San Antonio Spurs
Regular season series: Mavericks won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Mavs 4-2
Notes: If last year's series was any indication for you, it's that the Spurs are up there in age and just can't run with the Mavs. Especially now, with all those injuries and hampered bodies on the Spurs.

(3)Phoenix Suns vs (6)Portland Trail Blazers
Regular season series: Trail Blazers won 2-1
Playoff Prediction: Suns 4-0
Notes: With Roy out, it's tough. I can't see the Blazers keeping up, especially with the Suns red hot right now.

(4)Denver Nuggets vs (5)Utah Jazz
Regular season series: Nuggets won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Nuggets 4-3
Notes: Definitely the series to watch in the west for the first round. Could go either way. We'll see if this Nuggets team has the mental toughness in the postseason without George Karl.

EASTERN CONFERENCE- 1ST ROUND

(1)Cleveland Cavaliers vs (8)Chicago Bulls
Regular season series: Tied 2-2
Playoff Prediction: Cavs 4-0
Notes: The Bulls just don't have the players to go against this Cavs team.

(2)Orlando Magic vs (7)Charlotte Bobcats
Regular season series: Magic won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Magic 4-1
Notes: Charlotte has talent, but I can't see them winning more than one game, if any at all.

(3)Atlanta Hawks vs (6)Milwaukee Bucks
Regular season series: Hawks won 2-1
Playoff Prediction: Hawks 4-0
Notes: Without Bogut, it'll be real tough. All falls down upon Brandon Jennings. And that's tough considering the size advantage the Hawks will have inside.

(4)Boston Celtics vs (5)Miami Heat
Regular season series: Celtics won 3-0
Playoff Prediction: Celts 4-3
Notes: I actually think Miami will take it to Boston. It'll be a close series.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Rookie
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:36 pm
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:35 pm
WESTERN CONFERENCE- 1ST ROUND

(1)Los Angeles Lakers vs (8)Oklahoma City Thunder
Regular season series: Lakers won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Lakers 4-1
Notes: Experience vs Youth. Experience wins this time.

(2)Dallas Mavericks vs (7)San Antonio Spurs
Regular season series: Mavericks won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Mavs 4-2
Notes: Mavs win

(3)Phoenix Suns vs (6)Portland Trail Blazers
Regular season series: Trail Blazers won 2-1
Playoff Prediction: Suns 4-1
Notes: Sun are playing at a high level right now.

(4)Denver Nuggets vs (5)Utah Jazz
Regular season series: Nuggets won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Nuggets 4-2
Notes: Even though the Nuggets are a far better team, especially without Boozer. Missing their coach will hurt.

EASTERN CONFERENCE- 1ST ROUND

(1)Cleveland Cavaliers vs (8)Chicago Bulls
Regular season series: Tied 2-2
Playoff Prediction: Cavs 4-1
Notes: Lebron, Lebron, Lebron.

(2)Orlando Magic vs (7)Charlotte Bobcats
Regular season series: Magic won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Magic 4-2
Notes: Vince Carter vs Gerald Wallace. Could be the time everybody finds out how good GW is instead of just people in Charlotte.

(3)Atlanta Hawks vs (6)Milwaukee Bucks
Regular season series: Hawks won 2-1
Playoff Prediction: Hawks 4-2
Notes: As long as they can control Jennings they are fine. The playoffs are the time that people like him live for.

(4)Boston Celtics vs (5)Miami Heat
Regular season series: Celtics won 3-0
Playoff Prediction: Celts 4-2
Notes: Wouldn't be surprised if Miami won, but the Celtics just have far more talent.

Moderator
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:43 pm
I predict the NBA players will predictable and boring.

Rookie
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:36 pm
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:01 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I predict the NBA players will predictable and boring.


Did you prefer the NCAA Tourney better? Honestly after the first two rounds the rest of the tourney wasn't really that good to me. There were only two games the rest of the tourney were I was like "them dudes making plays." Those were the K-State vs Xavier game and the Tennessee vs Ohio State game. Every other game including the final four games were really that exciting. Which is sad because most of the games were close.

I do agree the NBA playoffs is usually predictable, but that's because you do play 7 game series so the best team usually wins. I don't necessarily agree with the boring. There were a few good series, not just games, last year Bulls vs Celtics, Lakers vs Rockets, Cavs vs Magic, and Lakers vs Nuggets.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21364
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:29 am
Roy is officially out for the nextweek or two possibly, so Phoenix should actually sweep
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:23 am
migya wrote:Roy is officially out for the nextweek or two possibly, so Phoenix should actually sweep


Yeah. he's gonna miss the whole first round, so Phoenix should be clear favorites against the Blazers.

Still think they'd win at least one in Portland... but that's it.

Starting Lineup
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:55 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:40 am
Here's my guess:
La Vs. OKC----Lakers 4-1
Dal Vs SA------Mavs 4-3
Pho Vs. Port---Suns 4-0
Den VS.Uta----Jazz 4-3

Cle vs.Chi------Cavs 4-0
Orl vs.Cha-----Orl 4-0
Atl vs. Mil------Atl 4-0
Bos vs. Mia----Bos 4-2
Dallas and San Antonio and Denver vs. Utah are the best 2 series that I'm the most uncertain about. I tend to think Boozer will play the whole series, Martin will play but be impaired, and I think the Jazz may be able to upset without Kirilenko.
Does anyone know if there are significant injuries to either Dallas or San Antonio? I haven't been keeping up.
War Years

Moderator
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:03 am
JSU2004 wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I predict the NBA players will predictable and boring.


Did you prefer the NCAA Tourney better? Honestly after the first two rounds the rest of the tourney wasn't really that good to me. There were only two games the rest of the tourney were I was like "them dudes making plays." Those were the K-State vs Xavier game and the Tennessee vs Ohio State game. Every other game including the final four games were really that exciting. Which is sad because most of the games were close.

I do agree the NBA playoffs is usually predictable, but that's because you do play 7 game series so the best team usually wins. I don't necessarily agree with the boring. There were a few good series, not just games, last year Bulls vs Celtics, Lakers vs Rockets, Cavs vs Magic, and Lakers vs Nuggets.


I think the NCAA will get significantly worse once it expands to 96 games. It will be diluting the good product. The thing is, I hate it when leagues abuse their power and try to get as much money as possible, often resulting in quality as a casualty. Baseball plays 162 games, and their playoffs are only 3 rounds (1st round being best of 5). NFL only lasts 1 month.

See, for me as a sports fan, it is all about quality. Think about this, the NBA finals START in June. That's absolutely ridiculous. I don't watch the playoffs until the finals (and usually until then, I have minor interest). The NFL/NCAA have each playoff game a single elimination. Only 8 teams make the playoffs in baseball, so it makes the regular season that much more important (even if its 162 games). In the NBA, over 50% of teams make it AND they all have best of 7 game series. IMO, all of that results in a long, predictable and boring playoffs.

My Solution for the NBA playoffs: Keep the 16 teams that make it in. However, 1st round should be a best of 3, 2nd round should be best of 5, and the final 2 rounds then be a best of 7. That takes away the initial predictability in the first couple weeks (and speeding up the initial rounds); while having the deserved 7 game grind where it should be: towards the end of the playoffs. OR, another solution would be to allow 12 teams into the playoffs, with the first two teams of each conference have a first round bye. The format for this would be similar to that of above, which first round would be best of 3, second round best of 5....

I mean, look at these predictions you all have... more or less, they all look the same.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1088
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:58 pm
Location: the nickel and dime
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:29 am
WESTERN CONFERENCE- 1ST ROUND

(1)Los Angeles Lakers vs (8)Oklahoma City Thunder
Regular season series: Lakers won 3-1
Playoff Prediction:Lakers in 5
Notes: I think the Thunder will win the 3rd game only because it will be OKC's first playoff game ever and they will be high on emotions. Lakers will win all others.

(2)Dallas Mavericks vs (7)San Antonio Spurs
Regular season series: Mavericks won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Mavs in 6.
Notes: This TD dynasty is coming to its end. The spurs are not going to be able to get past the Mavs with the additions of Butler and Haywood.

(3)Phoenix Suns vs (6)Portland Trail Blazers
Regular season series: Trail Blazers won 2-1
Playoff Prediction:Pho in 5
Notes: No Roy, Oden or Pritzbilla. The Suns shouldn't have too much of a hard time handling the Trail Blazers.

(4)Denver Nuggets vs (5)Utah Jazz
Regular season series: Nuggets won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Nuggets in 5(if AK47 and Boozer dont play), Jazz in 6 if they are healthy.
Notes: Both teams have crucial people either in jeopardy of not being able to play or coach in the nuggets case. AK would be the best bet to slow down Carmelo and Boozer is just a great PF, without them the Jazz look vulnerable.

EASTERN CONFERENCE- 1ST ROUND

(1)Cleveland Cavaliers vs (8)Chicago Bulls
Regular season series: Tied 2-2
Playoff Prediction: Lebron in 5.
Notes:Lebron is rested, Shaq is back. Badda bing badda boom.

(2)Orlando Magic vs (7)Charlotte Bobcats
Regular season series: Magic won 3-1
Playoff Prediction:Magic in 7.
Notes: I wouldnt be surprised if the Bobcats get past the Magic somehow. They dont have Turkeyglue and the Bobcats have a few different serviceable big men that can mess with Howard.

(3)Atlanta Hawks vs (6)Milwaukee Bucks
Regular season series: Hawks won 2-1
Playoff Prediction:Hawks in 6.
Notes:No Bogut, No Redd. I think Crawford will play out of his mind in his first playoff series ever.

(4)Boston Celtics vs (5)Miami Heat
Regular season series: Celtics won 3-0
Playoff Prediction:Celtics in 6.
Notes: Cs are just old and hobbled but they still have more talent than Miami. I think Wade can buy Miami a game or maybe 2 but the Cs will eventually waddle through.

Starting Lineup
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:55 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:31 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
JSU2004 wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I predict the NBA players will predictable and boring.


Did you prefer the NCAA Tourney better? Honestly after the first two rounds the rest of the tourney wasn't really that good to me. There were only two games the rest of the tourney were I was like "them dudes making plays." Those were the K-State vs Xavier game and the Tennessee vs Ohio State game. Every other game including the final four games were really that exciting. Which is sad because most of the games were close.

I do agree the NBA playoffs is usually predictable, but that's because you do play 7 game series so the best team usually wins. I don't necessarily agree with the boring. There were a few good series, not just games, last year Bulls vs Celtics, Lakers vs Rockets, Cavs vs Magic, and Lakers vs Nuggets.


I think the NCAA will get significantly worse once it expands to 96 games. It will be diluting the good product. The thing is, I hate it when leagues abuse their power and try to get as much money as possible, often resulting in quality as a casualty. Baseball plays 162 games, and their playoffs are only 3 rounds (1st round being best of 5). NFL only lasts 1 month.

See, for me as a sports fan, it is all about quality. Think about this, the NBA finals START in June. That's absolutely ridiculous. I don't watch the playoffs until the finals (and usually until then, I have minor interest). The NFL/NCAA have each playoff game a single elimination. Only 8 teams make the playoffs in baseball, so it makes the regular season that much more important (even if its 162 games). In the NBA, over 50% of teams make it AND they all have best of 7 game series. IMO, all of that results in a long, predictable and boring playoffs.

My Solution for the NBA playoffs: Keep the 16 teams that make it in. However, 1st round should be a best of 3, 2nd round should be best of 5, and the final 2 rounds then be a best of 7. That takes away the initial predictability in the first couple weeks (and speeding up the initial rounds); while having the deserved 7 game grind where it should be: towards the end of the playoffs. OR, another solution would be to allow 12 teams into the playoffs, with the first two teams of each conference have a first round bye. The format for this would be similar to that of above, which first round would be best of 3, second round best of 5....I mean, look at these predictions you all have... more or less, they all look the same.


If we were to limit teams, I'd go with the Baseball and Football wild card systems. I'd have the 3 conference winners get a bye, and have 2 wild cards from the East and West play each other for the chance to play the #1 seed of the East and West. That would be effectively 10 teams in the playoffs. But I don't think that could happen now.

I agree with you Crackerz, this goes on way too long. Unfortuanately, it's hard to reign in games and teams once you've expanded the playoffs to 16 teams. In my mind if you are going to have 16 playoff teams , you should have at least 40 overall teams. Unfortunately at this time the NBA has enough financial problems with 30 teams. Which is exactly why they won't limit teams and games, because these are the most profitable games of the year. One thing they could do though, . Is to play every other day, Allow no more than 2 days between play off rounds. I could also see having a back to back game on games 3 and 4 of each round.

I mean, look at these predictions you all have... more or less, they all look the same.
[/quote]
Yeah, but 2 years ago, the choices were a lot more exciting. I think you would get better playoff competition with fewer teams. Just the disparity between the 1st and 8th seed in the NBA is almost insurmountable.
War Years
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2347
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Sucka Free City
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:00 pm
WESTERN CONFERENCE- 1ST ROUND

(1)Los Angeles Lakers vs (8)Oklahoma City Thunder
Regular season series: Lakers won 3-1
Playoff Prediction:Lakers 4-1
Notes:

(2)Dallas Mavericks vs (7)San Antonio Spurs
Regular season series: Mavericks won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Mavs 4-3
Notes:

(3)Phoenix Suns vs (6)Portland Trail Blazers
Regular season series: Trail Blazers won 2-1
Playoff Prediction: Suns 4-1
Notes:

(4)Denver Nuggets vs (5)Utah Jazz
Regular season series: Nuggets won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Jazz 4-3
Notes:

EASTERN CONFERENCE- 1ST ROUND

(1)Cleveland Cavaliers vs (8)Chicago Bulls
Regular season series: Tied 2-2
Playoff Prediction: Cavs 4-2
Notes:

(2)Orlando Magic vs (7)Charlotte Bobcats
Regular season series: Magic won 3-1
Playoff Prediction: Magic 4-1
Notes:

(3)Atlanta Hawks vs (6)Milwaukee Bucks
Regular season series: Hawks won 2-1
Playoff Prediction: Hawks 4-2
Notes:

(4)Boston Celtics vs (5)Miami Heat
Regular season series: Celtics won 3-0
Playoff Prediction: Celtics 4-3
Notes:[/quote]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless

Rookie
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:36 pm
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:43 pm
War Years wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
JSU2004 wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I predict the NBA players will predictable and boring.


Did you prefer the NCAA Tourney better? Honestly after the first two rounds the rest of the tourney wasn't really that good to me. There were only two games the rest of the tourney were I was like "them dudes making plays." Those were the K-State vs Xavier game and the Tennessee vs Ohio State game. Every other game including the final four games were really that exciting. Which is sad because most of the games were close.

I do agree the NBA playoffs is usually predictable, but that's because you do play 7 game series so the best team usually wins. I don't necessarily agree with the boring. There were a few good series, not just games, last year Bulls vs Celtics, Lakers vs Rockets, Cavs vs Magic, and Lakers vs Nuggets.


I think the NCAA will get significantly worse once it expands to 96 games. It will be diluting the good product. The thing is, I hate it when leagues abuse their power and try to get as much money as possible, often resulting in quality as a casualty. Baseball plays 162 games, and their playoffs are only 3 rounds (1st round being best of 5). NFL only lasts 1 month.

See, for me as a sports fan, it is all about quality. Think about this, the NBA finals START in June. That's absolutely ridiculous. I don't watch the playoffs until the finals (and usually until then, I have minor interest). The NFL/NCAA have each playoff game a single elimination. Only 8 teams make the playoffs in baseball, so it makes the regular season that much more important (even if its 162 games). In the NBA, over 50% of teams make it AND they all have best of 7 game series. IMO, all of that results in a long, predictable and boring playoffs.

My Solution for the NBA playoffs: Keep the 16 teams that make it in. However, 1st round should be a best of 3, 2nd round should be best of 5, and the final 2 rounds then be a best of 7. That takes away the initial predictability in the first couple weeks (and speeding up the initial rounds); while having the deserved 7 game grind where it should be: towards the end of the playoffs. OR, another solution would be to allow 12 teams into the playoffs, with the first two teams of each conference have a first round bye. The format for this would be similar to that of above, which first round would be best of 3, second round best of 5....I mean, look at these predictions you all have... more or less, they all look the same.


If we were to limit teams, I'd go with the Baseball and Football wild card systems. I'd have the 3 conference winners get a bye, and have 2 wild cards from the East and West play each other for the chance to play the #1 seed of the East and West. That would be effectively 10 teams in the playoffs. But I don't think that could happen now.

I agree with you Crackerz, this goes on way too long. Unfortuanately, it's hard to reign in games and teams once you've expanded the playoffs to 16 teams. In my mind if you are going to have 16 playoff teams , you should have at least 40 overall teams. Unfortunately at this time the NBA has enough financial problems with 30 teams. Which is exactly why they won't limit teams and games, because these are the most profitable games of the year. One thing they could do though, . Is to play every other day, Allow no more than 2 days between play off rounds. I could also see having a back to back game on games 3 and 4 of each round.

I mean, look at these predictions you all have... more or less, they all look the same.

Yeah, but 2 years ago, the choices were a lot more exciting. I think you would get better playoff competition with fewer teams. Just the disparity between the 1st and 8th seed in the NBA is almost insurmountable.



In essence it sounds like I'm hearing the predictability of the playoffs makes it boring. I've never really thought about changing the playoffs (I wouldn't be opposed to this), but I have thought the NBA needs to reduce the number of teams.

Cracks, you said you mainly watch the final. If that's truly the case, I can't really think of a lot of exciting NBA Finals lately. In the last 20 years, I don't think I can name 5 competitive NBA finals (Heat vs Mavs, Spurs vs Pistons, Rockets vs Knicks).
PreviousNext

Return to NBA Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests