The Oakland Athletics Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:08 pm
Yeah, i dont feel ashamed liking both teams. They are in two different leagues. I am more a Giants fan based on my love for NL love over AL, but I root for the A's too.

Sheets signing with the A's is a good move. I was kinda hoping the Giants signed him (and maybe us trading Cain or someone for a premiere bat like prince fielder) but i can only dream. At least he's still in the bay.

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:11 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
No Longer StuckInSoCal wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:Damn this thread makes me feel like Im talking to myself, but today the A's signed Ben Sheets. This gives Oakland a great rotation along with a very good defensive team to play behind them. The AL West is winnable this year with the slipping of the Angels and I really like the moves made this offseason.

A rotation of Sheets / Anderson / Duke / Braden / Cahill with a shutdown pen coming in behind them is sure to create lots favorable series matchups.

I like the signing. I hope it goes better than the Nomar signing last year, though. And don't worry Always, you can post in the Giants thread.

Hmmm, maybe you should consider switching teams? :mrgreen:

Thanks for the offer, but I will stay on this side of the Bay. I hope the Giants do well, but have always been and will always be an A's fan.

Its really a totally different signing than Nomar. Nomar was picked up to be an extra infielder and injuries forced him into too much early playing time, which caused him to get injured himself.

Well, if the Sheets signing is different what about the Nady deal? Nomar, Sheets and Nady all seem like the same strategy from a GM unwilling to hand out longterm deals right now. Even if Sheets and Nady pan out will they be in Oakland next year?

It sure seems like Beane is taking advantage of their names (with perhaps a big payout) and they're taking advantage of another chance, but I doubt they'll all be in bed together a year from now.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:53 pm
Um, apparently I shouldn't be reading non-official sources. Nady did NOT sign with the A's. Sorry. Jeez. That's what I get for straying from ESPN.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:59 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:Damn this thread makes me feel like Im talking to myself, but today the A's signed Ben Sheets. This gives Oakland a great rotation along with a very good defensive team to play behind them. The AL West is winnable this year with the slipping of the Angels and I really like the moves made this offseason.

A rotation of Sheets / Anderson / Duke / Braden / Cahill with a shutdown pen coming in behind them is sure to create lots favorable series matchups.

I like the signing. I hope it goes better than the Nomar signing last year, though. And don't worry Always, you can post in the Giants thread.

Hmmm, maybe you should consider switching teams? :mrgreen:

Thanks for the offer, but I will stay on this side of the Bay. I hope the Giants do well, but have always been and will always be an A's fan.

Its really a totally different signing than Nomar. Nomar was picked up to be an extra infielder and injuries forced him into too much early playing time, which caused him to get injured himself.

Well, if the Sheets signing is different what about the Nady deal? Nomar, Sheets and Nady all seem like the same strategy from a GM unwilling to hand out longterm deals right now. Even if Sheets and Nady pan out will they be in Oakland next year?

It sure seems like Beane is taking advantage of their names (with perhaps a big payout) and they're taking advantage of another chance, but I doubt they'll all be in bed together a year from now.

Being such a small budget team, I wont even say small market, cause the Bay Area really is not, you have to hope to catch lightning in a bottle. I dont think he was signing Nomar with high hopes, the guy was a good guy that was brought in to help a young team. Sheets on the other hand was brought in because of the risk reward associated with the deal. There is no way you sign a guy with the injury history that he has to a long term deal, but picking him up for a year is a no lose situation. If he is good, you either flip him for a big return or he plays out the season to hopefully help the team get to post season. If he is bad, you let him walk at the end of the year and dont worry about what it cost you to get him, because they didnt have to make any kind of talent sacrifice to get him. All he can do is help this team full of young pitchers.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:51 am
I really cant wait til this season starts. It has been announced that Ben Sheets will start opening day. The rotation is solid and the pen can be the best in the AL. Im not too worried about Sheets struggling in the AL, I think not having to go to bat will also be an advantage to his comeback. Sheets leads all starters in k/bb ratio over the past several years and when the ball does get put in play against Sheets or any of the A's pitchers, there is a very good defensive team behind them.

Rotation: Sheets / Anderson / Duke / Braden / Cahill
Bullpen: Bailey (C) / Devine / Wuertz / will be the backend....that is strong

C. Crisp CF
R. Davis LF
R. Sweeney RF
K. Suzuki C
J. Cust DH
K. Kouzmanoff 3B
D. Barton / E. Chavez 1B
M. Ellis 2B
C. Pennington SS

5 batters from 8-3 all have the ability to steal 20+ bags, Crisp and Davis can swipe 40+. Not a lot of power, but between the 3-6 hitters, they should combine for 80-100 HRs and lots of RBIs because of the speedy runners in front of them.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:23 pm
The Giants and the A's are in similar positions. Solid pitching, offenses with upside and a farm system with guys who COULD make a difference in the coming years.

Always, if you haven't seen this, check out:

http://baseballnumbers-diamondfutures.b ... etics.html

This Diamond Futures site goes beyond the normal ranking list (something any blog can do) and actually writes up player capsules/summaries. It sounds like the A's have some solid hitting prospects coming up.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:02 pm
No Longer StuckInSoCal wrote:The Giants and the A's are in similar positions. Solid pitching, offenses with upside and a farm system with guys who COULD make a difference in the coming years.

Always, if you haven't seen this, check out:

http://baseballnumbers-diamondfutures.b ... etics.html

This Diamond Futures site goes beyond the normal ranking list (something any blog can do) and actually writes up player capsules/summaries. It sounds like the A's have some solid hitting prospects coming up.

I had never seen that site before. Thanks, it was an interesting read for both sides of the Bay. I like acouple of the A's hitters coming up, but hope neither breaks camp with the team. I think Carter and Taylor will have more impact as in-season callups, those guys always seem to produce better than rookies that start off the season with the big club.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:33 am
Gotta applaud the A's for the way they've started out the season... taking it to both the Mariners and Angels thus far. I haven't watched any of their games, but I keep hearing about how they're winning and all that. It's just sad that hardly anyone is at the games. My friend was telling me how ESPN made it seem like there were a ton of people at the A's first win at home, yet you look at the audience... there wasn't much of a crowd.

Anyways, gotta give kudos to the boys across the bay. Lovin' what BOTH the Giants and A's are doing. Both teams succeeding is a definite plus.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:11 am
xbay wrote:Gotta applaud the A's for the way they've started out the season... taking it to both the Mariners and Angels thus far. I haven't watched any of their games, but I keep hearing about how they're winning and all that. It's just sad that hardly anyone is at the games. My friend was telling me how ESPN made it seem like there were a ton of people at the A's first win at home, yet you look at the audience... there wasn't much of a crowd.

Anyways, gotta give kudos to the boys across the bay. Lovin' what BOTH the Giants and A's are doing. Both teams succeeding is a definite plus.
your a good kid xbay. You remind me of gsw united where u support all things bay area. In fact i'd be so bold n call u a closet raider fan too. I know i know. Your loyalty with the red n gold but i think there's a bit of you who secretly cheers for the green n gold n the silver n black
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:35 am
yeah, the A's are off to a great start. I think they have solid starting pitching and a good pen, but like the past 10 years, I worry about their hitting. R. Davis has been great leading off and moving station to station and manufucturing stuff, but if there pitching falters a bit, I dont think they have the offense to sustain anything.

For as great as Beane has been finding and developing pitchers, he is as poor having an eye for offensive players.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:45 am
bada wrote:yeah, the A's are off to a great start. I think they have solid starting pitching and a good pen, but like the past 10 years, I worry about their hitting. R. Davis has been great leading off and moving station to station and manufucturing stuff, but if there pitching falters a bit, I dont think they have the offense to sustain anything.

For as great as Beane has been finding and developing pitchers, he is as poor having an eye for offensive players.

I dont know if I agree with you Bada. The A's offense has been very productive, especially late in games. When Coco Crisp comes back, they have speed throughout the lineup with some guys that have a little pop. There are no sluggers on the team, but a fair amount of players that can approach 20 Hrs and 90-100 rbi. Also, there are a couple really good hitters waiting in the wings in Sacramento when the Chavez experiment falters in the DH spot.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:51 am
"Always" Next wrote:
bada wrote:yeah, the A's are off to a great start. I think they have solid starting pitching and a good pen, but like the past 10 years, I worry about their hitting. R. Davis has been great leading off and moving station to station and manufucturing stuff, but if there pitching falters a bit, I dont think they have the offense to sustain anything.

I dont know if I agree with you Bada. The A's offense has been very productive, especially late in games. When Coco Crisp comes back, they have speed throughout the lineup with some guys that have a little pop. There are no sluggers on the team, but a fair amount of players that can approach 20 Hrs and 90-100 rbi. Also, there are a couple really good hitters waiting in the wings in Sacramento when the Chavez experiment falters in the DH spot.

you may be right. I dont follow baseball very closely anymore, but I guess I am tired of hearing how good so and so will be offensively only to have them bat .227. The A's offense has been SO poor for so long, I am skeptical.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:53 am
"Always" Next wrote:

The A's have been good. It'll be interesting to see how all these guys do as the year goes on.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:10 pm
PAWNO wrote:
xbay wrote:Gotta applaud the A's for the way they've started out the season... taking it to both the Mariners and Angels thus far. I haven't watched any of their games, but I keep hearing about how they're winning and all that. It's just sad that hardly anyone is at the games. My friend was telling me how ESPN made it seem like there were a ton of people at the A's first win at home, yet you look at the audience... there wasn't much of a crowd.

your a good kid xbay. You remind me of gsw united where u support all things bay area. In fact i'd be so bold n call u a closet raider fan too. I know i know. Your loyalty with the red n gold but i think there's a bit of you who secretly cheers for the green n gold n the silver n black

Ehhh.. it's not that I "hate" the Raiders, it's just I like to make fun of them cause they have sucked so bad since their SB year. The only time I make fun of them though is when a Raider fan tries to make fun of the Niners or tries to argue something about the Niners or any other NFL team while comparing the Raiders to it. A heated debate.

I would like to see the Raiders do well again. I just want the bay area to market winning squads cause this is my home, this is where I live.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:43 pm
But to be more specific. Your from the East Bay. Pittsburgh. . . Your allegiance should really be to the Athletics & Raiders. . . But that's ok. In fact i think all Bay area teams based at the collesium are in a big negativity zone. Just wait til A's move to San Jose. The Dubs over the bridge to AT&T park n the Raiders back to L.A. Those franchises will probably have a reversal of fortune n go onto having dominating dynasty.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board