Life Ideas

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:09 am
This is totally off topic, but I wanted to make a thread about things that are involved in self sufficiency.

I have been planning for a while now to have a huge food plant garden and by that I mean a vast number of fruit trees, vegetable plants, other plants like herbs. I have planned to have all these in greenhouse like structures. Reason? I want to produce all the food for me, my wife and daughter all year around and having the same, right conditions all year around is the only way to keep food production going. I have done a fair amount of research, but am not satisified and will keep doing research for a couple more months before I get started.

I have also researched on relatively free obtainment of water. Obtaining water from the air is the best source, as it is so plentiful and usually much cleaner than any other source. A very smart way I've seen is the use of windmills, like the
Maxwell Whisson - water windmill: http://www.rexresearch.com/whisson/whisson.htm a guy from Perth has invented.

Water from the air is a real great idea and is actually something that has been around for a while, like here: http://air2water.biz/
Where the water vapour is condensed and then obtain in liquid form. Filters are used to purify the water, but there really is no end supply to the water, not like rivers that can dry up when over used.
This one here produces water for a whole indian village: http://waterfortheages.org/2009/02/08/water-from-air-alchemy-or-reality/
http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Air-Water-International-Corp-With-Licensee-WaterMaker-India-Pvt-Ltd-Announces-Jalimudi-950706.htm

Free Energy power is a big thing as well, that way you can produce your own without relying on the power grid and know that you won't have power failure.
Steve Marks Toroid Generator looks to be the somewhat simplest, most "free" energy technology I've seen: http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Steve_Marks_Toroid_Generator
This could also be used to power a car. Petrol is one of the biggest money spedures for a household over here, about $60-$80 a week per family with one or two cars.

Anyone know of or been involved in any self sufficiency activities. Whether it was you at home or a friend or relative, I'd like to know about it and the experiences

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:55 am
this certainly explains you're raging clue for Big Al lately mate:P
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:09 am
Quazza wrote:this certainly explains you're raging clue for Big Al lately mate:P

You think AJefferson is a move towards self sufficiency then? :mrgreen:

Maybe he ain't such broken goods

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:19 am
migya wrote:
Quazza wrote:this certainly explains you're raging clue for Big Al lately mate:P

You think AJefferson is a move towards self sufficiency then? :mrgreen:

hahaha you're alright mate
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:34 am
Great idea Migya. My wife and I plan on doing something like this on our next home.
* Underhanded Beans Fanclub Leader *

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:57 pm
Chum wrote:Great idea Migya. My wife and I plan on doing something like this on our next home.

You got a good sized backyard?

You can really do alot and it doesn't have to cost much money either. We have a newspaper that is soley for people to sell their stuff second hand. You get alot of free stuff and alot of stuff real cheap stuff. I've been able to get so many things real cheap and that's where I'll start looking for pipes (for the water) and pretty much all the things I'll need. I assume you guys have similar newspapers or such in Oakland and surrounding areas.

We plan on both paying off our house in three years, which is possible with both of us working. Then with being able to produce our own food, even if at first we can only produce half or so, that'd save us so much money and we can then spend money on things we really want, like a trip to Oakland

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:44 pm
migya wrote:
Chum wrote:Great idea Migya. My wife and I plan on doing something like this on our next home.

No we have a small backyard, that's why we plan to do it with our next house :)

Ultimately we'd like to grow our own food, collect our own water and harness our own energy. It's not really for economic reasons, although that's a nice bonus. We think it would just be nice not to have to depend on outside sources for essentials.

Please let me know how your progress goes.
* Underhanded Beans Fanclub Leader *

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:03 am
Chum wrote:
migya wrote:

No we have a small backyard, that's why we plan to do it with our next house :)

Ultimately we'd like to grow our own food, collect our own water and harness our own energy. It's not really for economic reasons, although that's a nice bonus. We think it would just be nice not to have to depend on outside sources for essentials.

Please let me know how your progress goes.

Will do :wink:

Return to Off-Topic Forum