The All MMA Things Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:23 pm
8th ave wrote:i don't see jake shields beating gsp =\

I don't either. Shields only has a ground game. The only reason he beat Mayhem Miller was because he was able to completely control the ground and never stand it up. He has no stand up, and GSP doesn't have a great stand up either, but in a boxing match, I'd put my money on George.

I wanna see Aoki come to the UFC and fight BJ Penn so Penn can shut Aoki the f-up. The dude thinks once he wins his next fight, he'll be the best current lightweight.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:46 pm
xbay wrote:

I don't either. Shields only has a ground game. The only reason he beat Mayhem Miller was because he was able to completely control the ground and never stand it up. He has no stand up, and GSP doesn't have a great stand up either, but in a boxing match, I'd put my money on George.

I wanna see Aoki come to the UFC and fight BJ Penn so Penn can shut Aoki the f-up. The dude thinks once he wins his next fight, he'll be the best current lightweight.

I dont follow these things too closely but everytime I do, about 98.5% of the fight is on the ground. Isn't having a good ground game pretty much the most important thing.

I saw shields fight once (dont remember against who) but man, he controlled EVERYTHING. The other guy could not do a thing. A bit boring to watch if you are not in tune with the technical aspects of BJJ but he just was so dominant.

Again, I dont follow this closely so this is not to say I think Shields would win, but just looking for some insight from those of you who watch the sport closely about stand up vs ground in general. My assumption would be if you have a great stand up guy vs a great gound guy, the ground guy would be the favorite a majority of the time.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:58 pm
bada wrote:
xbay wrote:

I dont follow these things too closely but everytime I do, about 98.5% of the fight is on the ground. Isn't having a good ground game pretty much the most important thing.

I saw shields fight once (dont remember against who) but man, he controlled EVERYTHING. The other guy could not do a thing. A bit boring to watch if you are not in tune with the technical aspects of BJJ but he just was so dominant.

Again, I dont follow this closely so this is not to say I think Shields would win, but just looking for some insight from those of you who watch the sport closely about stand up vs ground in general. My assumption would be if you have a great stand up guy vs a great gound guy, the ground guy would be the favorite a majority of the time.

No doubt, he did control the ground completely. But so does George St. Pierre. Both are different ground styles, though, as GSP is a wrestler and Shields does BJJ. Shields is a great grappler, but that's it. His stand up is non-existent. The thing is, if he fights GSP, it's not only about controlling the ground, because GSP can control the ground as well. His recent fight against Dan Hardy was like watching a bit more exciting Shields/Miller fight... the fight you saw.

I'm not saying GSP has the greatest stand up, cause he does the same thing as Shields and fights on the ground.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:47 pm
xbay wrote:
bada wrote:
xbay wrote:

No doubt, he did control the ground completely. But so does George St. Pierre. Both are different ground styles, though, as GSP is a wrestler and Shields does BJJ. Shields is a great grappler, but that's it. His stand up is non-existent. The thing is, if he fights GSP, it's not only about controlling the ground, because GSP can control the ground as well. His recent fight against Dan Hardy was like watching a bit more exciting Shields/Miller fight... the fight you saw.

I'm not saying GSP has the greatest stand up, cause he does the same thing as Shields and fights on the ground.

GSP has a great striking game, he just uses it little nowadays, as he found out that taking a guy to the ground and staying on top and pounding him out, is easier and safer than standing up and striking only. I remember GSP, when he first came into the UFC, won by striking almost only and he won usually in the first round

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:37 pm
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:
bada wrote:
xbay wrote:

GSP has a great striking game, he just uses it little nowadays, as he found out that taking a guy to the ground and staying on top and pounding him out, is easier and safer than standing up and striking only. I remember GSP, when he first came into the UFC, won by striking almost only and he won usually in the first round

Yeah, he prefers to wrestle. I mean, if you're strong point is wrestling... why not? He wrestles with the Canadian Olympic wrestling team. He didn't stand with Hardy because he knew he couldn't win in a punching fest against him. Hardy can't sprawl worth crap. Plus, he doesn't want another Matt Serra type finish happening to him again.

Changing up the subject... you like the UFC 112 card, mig? I got Silva dominating Maia. Penn taking out Edgar. And Gracie with a KO on Hughes. I really hate Hughes... I hope his ass gets knocked out.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:11 am
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:
bada wrote:
xbay wrote:

Yeah, he prefers to wrestle. I mean, if you're strong point is wrestling... why not? He wrestles with the Canadian Olympic wrestling team. He didn't stand with Hardy because he knew he couldn't win in a punching fest against him. Hardy can't sprawl worth crap. Plus, he doesn't want another Matt Serra type finish happening to him again.

Changing up the subject... you like the UFC 112 card, mig? I got Silva dominating Maia. Penn taking out Edgar. And Gracie with a KO on Hughes. I really hate Hughes... I hope his ass gets knocked out.

Reckon GSP is a much better striker than Hardy, but as I said, he plays it smart and goes with what's more safe and striking can be decided by a lucky punch sometimes.

I like the fights that highlight UFC 112. Maia doesn't really deserve the title shot against aSilva, since he lost to Marquardt in a few seconds, and then Marquartd lost to Sonnen, but he got his chance with the other two fighting recently and Belfort out, so good on him. I reckon Maia's only chance is getting the fight to the ground and the quicker the better. Striking is totally Silva's and by a large margin. Maia has to get it to the ground and be on top, as ASilva's has a very good Jiu Jitsu game.

Penn v Edgar I think will be closer than many think, as Edgar thrashed Sherk when they met last year and Sherk was unbeaten since losing to Penn over a year and a half ago. Reckon Penn will win, but it will probably be the hardest title defense he's had.

I want Renzo Gracie to destroy Hughes, but it likely will be a pretty close fight. Renzo is Serra's BJJ instructor from many years back, as well as being the current chief of Gracie Barra BJJ, which I am a part of here in Perth. It is Renzo's first fight in the UFC and I really think his best bet is to strike first for a while, as Hughes has almost completely gone away from striking the last two years or so. Be great if Renzo can submit Hughes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:39 pm
Roy Nelson caught Stefans jaw like it was a cheeseburger.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:41 pm
Yeah, it's really amazing watching Big Country. Small, yet flappy dude in the octagon... and this guy has crazy power in his punch.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:53 pm
im just dying for one DECENT asian fighter...JUST ONE!!!
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:03 pm
8th ave wrote:im just dying for one DECENT asian fighter...JUST ONE!!!

Uh, hello... Brandon Vera.

Hahaha, I kid. Nah, he's talented, but just not good enough to compete with the bigger boys. Jon Jones destroyed him. But then, Jones is really good and could become the top Light Heavyweights in the near future.

I really think they should consider having a Super Heavyweight division. Lesnar is 265. The closest Heavyweight after that is what? 225? It's ridiculous for certain fighters like Vera to have to be around at least 225 to fight guys like Lesnar. It just never gives them a shot to get into the title hunt.

I know Dana wouldn't do that, though. He hates how boxing has like 17 different weight divisions and 4 different belts for each division. That's 68 champions! Way too much.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:42 am
xbay wrote:

Hahaha, I kid. Nah, he's talented, but just not good enough to compete with the bigger boys. Jon Jones destroyed him. But then, Jones is really good and could become the top Light Heavyweights in the near future.

I really think they should consider having a Super Heavyweight division. Lesnar is 265. The closest Heavyweight after that is what? 225? It's ridiculous for certain fighters like Vera to have to be around at least 225 to fight guys like Lesnar. It just never gives them a shot to get into the title hunt.

I know Dana wouldn't do that, though. He hates how boxing has like 17 different weight divisions and 4 different belts for each division. That's 68 champions! Way too much.

Okami is Japanese and a good fighter. There are a few Japanese fighters who fight in the UFC who are pretty good. They don't cut weight over there in japan, so the fighters in a particular division are almost always smaller than the rest of the fighters in that division.

I thought of a Super Heavyweight division a few months ago, but think about it, only Lesnar is a really good fighter that weighs over 265 pounds, who'd be his competition? Guys like Carwin, Mir and Gonzaga weigh about 250 pounds, but they seem to be as big as it is after Lesnar

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:46 pm
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:

Okami is Japanese and a good fighter. There are a few Japanese fighters who fight in the UFC who are pretty good. They don't cut weight over there in japan, so the fighters in a particular division are almost always smaller than the rest of the fighters in that division.

I thought of a Super Heavyweight division a few months ago, but think about it, only Lesnar is a really good fighter that weighs over 265 pounds, who'd be his competition? Guys like Carwin, Mir and Gonzaga weigh about 250 pounds, but they seem to be as big as it is after Lesnar

i guess i was just a lil disappointed when i saw takanori gomi get his ass whooped

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:41 pm
Dan Hardy's interview about how he "lost" but not "beaten"

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18560/ufc-111 ... beaten.mma

I read a thread that he participated in before. He was having a debate with another dude about whether or not if MMA was inhumane. He seem to have a good head on his shoulders and it make me think he was cool, but after all this **** about him calling out gsp, i think this dude is a douche. I think the bottom line should be that he got an "L" on his record due to the fight and that's that. It's black and white, and no gray areas. STFU and fight...

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:47 pm
8th ave wrote:Dan Hardy's interview about how he "lost" but not "beaten"

I read a thread that he participated in before. He was having a debate with another dude about whether or not if MMA was inhumane. He seem to have a good head on his shoulders and it make me think he was cool, but after all this **** about him calling out gsp, i think this dude is a douche. I think the bottom line should be that he got an "L" on his record due to the fight and that's that. It's black and white, and no gray areas. STFU and fight...

Hardy is a loser talking like that. The only one he makes look stupid is himself. You don't talk like that about the guy that just dominated you for 25mins.

The only reason why Hardy wasn't stopped was because he didn't tap out from the armlocks GSP gave him, that's all. He was thrashed from start to finish and is a long way from being proper competition for St. Pierre

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:56 pm
migya wrote:
8th ave wrote:Dan Hardy's interview about how he "lost" but not "beaten"

Hardy is a loser talking like that. The only one he makes look stupid is himself. You don't talk like that about the guy that just dominated you for 25mins.

The only reason why Hardy wasn't stopped was because he didn't tap out from the armlocks GSP gave him, that's all. He was thrashed from start to finish and is a long way from being proper competition for St. Pierre

Oh wow... Hardy running his mouth, here we go. He showed heart not giving up, but you shouldn't be happy at all when you get dominated for 25 straight minutes in a title fight. GSP was like what? 100% on his takedowns? Shoot, there were times where Hardy tried to swing, missed, and GSP got the successful takedown.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board