8th Ave heading to Australia!!

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:47 pm
Perth seems so remote. Tell me Migs... what's around?
or the main sites in Perth? beaches?
Is there a big Indian Ocean influence on the West coast that makes the culture different from the East of Australia?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:29 pm
Money Morrow wrote:Perth seems so remote. Tell me Migs... what's around?
Is there a big Indian Ocean influence on the West coast that makes the culture different from the East of Australia?

I can't speak for the WESSYDE of OZ... But What New Zealand is to Brisbane (lots of Kiwis moving to Australia) i hear there's a big colony of South Africans living in Perth... Is that True Migya?

All my Saffa mates talk about is how hard it was living in South Africa with all the crime & how they had to move to Australia for the better lifestyle... There's a few of em here, But i hear Perth is overrunned with them

Perth has one of the best surf breaks on the planet... Margaret River! But if your coming for the bitches... Can't get passed QUEENSLAND~!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:34 pm
bada wrote:Dont think I will ever make it over to Australia. Maybe to New Zealand since my grandfather lives there.

If I go to Australia, it will have to be there without my wife for sure. SHe lived there for a few years as a young girl. She has nothing but terrible memories about the place.

She said the kids were ruthless to her as the only American in their school. And she said the bugs are REALLY big! lol. she hates bugs.

Yeah Bada, I'm really sorry to hear about your wife having bad experiences... I will say that after 9/11 a lot of Australians really did grow to dispise Americans as we were fighting a war in Iraq in which the Average Australian had no idea why we were there...

I dont know how post 2001 relates to your wifes childhood but i guess the only logical explanation is it was school kids being school kids

Anyways perhaps she was living in Melbourne... If so, Melbourne has a tinge of SEATTLE to it in terms of it's always Raining and the people there are Caffenine feen Musicans (Courtney Love, Kurt Cobain etc) they probably just hated your wife cause well... they hate there own lives.

BTW... Would love to find out where she lived bada in OZ... & Migya offered you and your family a place to stay, But hard for me living with my parents at home... But i'll sure to take you to a footy match and show you the sights if you ever get out here.

Ps: Can't help you with the BUGS or poisonous animals... my only advice is you can look but you can't touch.. if that animal decides to show it's teeth.. then run/swim like your life depended on it. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:25 am
bada wrote:
migya wrote:
bada wrote:Dont think I will ever make it over to Australia. Maybe to New Zealand since my grandfather lives there.

If I go to Australia, it will have to be there without my wife for sure. SHe lived there for a few years as a young girl. She has nothing but terrible memories about the place.

She said the kids were ruthless to her as the only American in their school. And she said the bugs are REALLY big! lol. she hates bugs.

Sorry for your wife, but that doesn't describe all of Australia obviously. If you do come here Bada and you want to come to Perth, I have a double bed here for you and if you were to bring kids, I'm sure me and my family could accomodate you

Thanks migya... much appreciated!!!

Yeah, I did not mean it to disparage aussies. People can have bad experiences anywhere. I mean when your family moves you suddenly to a new country it is hard on children. She did not know anybody and she obviously was "different" than the other children.

I think she forgives that... it is more the gigantic bugs that freak her out. lol

There is bugs here, but to be honest, I encountered alot more on my brief travels to Bangkok, Singapore, even Geneva and Portugal, than over here

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:31 am
Money Morrow wrote:Perth seems so remote. Tell me Migs... what's around?

Perth is the most isolated city from other capital cities in the world. Remote in that way it is.

What we have here, and almost everyone that comes here says it as far as I;ve heard, is that the beacjes here are among the best in the world. I don't go to the beach that much in the summer anymore, what can I say, I'm married and not looking to look at hot chiks wearing close to nothing, but the beaches have always been very good and clean. It is laid back here, alot, and what there also is is good shopping centers, if that's what you like, but really, not much of anything else compared to most major sities. There are a fair amount of pubs, clubs and restaurants, but nothing huge.

If you want to have a nice, lais back holiday where the beaches are nice, you can swim and get into alot of water activities, like water skiing and jet skiing, along with having alot of sunshine, then come here at the end of the year, when it is summer here

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:53 am
PAWNO wrote:

Yeah Bada, I'm really sorry to hear about your wife having bad experiences... I will say that after 9/11 a lot of Australians really did grow to dispise Americans as we were fighting a war in Iraq in which the Average Australian had no idea why we were there...

I dont know how post 2001 relates to your wifes childhood but i guess the only logical explanation is it was school kids being school kids

Anyways perhaps she was living in Melbourne... If so, Melbourne has a tinge of SEATTLE to it in terms of it's always Raining and the people there are Caffenine feen Musicans (Courtney Love, Kurt Cobain etc) they probably just hated your wife cause well... they hate there own lives.

BTW... Would love to find out where she lived bada in OZ... & Migya offered you and your family a place to stay, But hard for me living with my parents at home... But i'll sure to take you to a footy match and show you the sights if you ever get out here.

Ps: Can't help you with the BUGS or poisonous animals... my only advice is you can look but you can't touch.. if that animal decides to show it's teeth.. then run/swim like your life depended on it. :mrgreen:

It was Perth in the late 70's
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:42 am
bada wrote:
PAWNO wrote:

lol... I've been reading but not participating in this conversation. Like Money Morrow I was kind of interested in hearing about Perth. I've always wanted to see Australia, New Zealand and Tasmania.

I can't help but wonder... was Migya's wife one of the tormentors of Bada's wife? It would be a very strange coincidence.
* Underhanded Beans Fanclub Leader *

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:55 pm
Haha... Chum. U Never know it probably was migya himself.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:22 pm
PAWNO wrote:Haha... Chum. U Never know it probably was migya himself.

Is migya my age range? I thought I was the grandpa of the board other than Reg
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:48 pm
bada wrote:
PAWNO wrote:Haha... Chum. U Never know it probably was migya himself.

Is migya my age range? I thought I was the grandpa of the board other than Reg

Nope, migya is MY age range... :wink:
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:10 pm
anybody close to Sydney...i have bunch of frenz in sydney and they asked me to visit them...i heard aussie pretty good place to relax and i am thinking about visit aussie next year but not really 100% sure yet...
I love Travel a lot....
i might visit back to spain, i've been in madrid,malaga,valencia,elche, but one place i never been is BARCELONA :banghead:
i am regret never visit barcelona.....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:42 pm
bada wrote:
PAWNO wrote:

Which suburb or suburbs?

Also, why did her family decide to come here? Just asking not meaning to pry

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:54 pm
migya wrote:
bada wrote:
PAWNO wrote:

Which suburb or suburbs?

She does not remember. SHe lived there from 8 to 10 years old. They moved there because her step father started a car sales business there. Knowing his business acumen, dont think it lasted long. LOL
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:38 pm
bada wrote:
migya wrote:
bada wrote:
PAWNO wrote:

Which suburb or suburbs?

She does not remember. SHe lived there from 8 to 10 years old. They moved there because her step father started a car sales business there. Knowing his business acumen, dont think it lasted long. LOL

Just ask her how far away from the Perth CBD the are she lived was, like how many minuted in the car.

Ah, the in laws :mrgreen:

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:24 pm
So after Pawno stated that Auckland is very much like Oakland, I'm thinking about not going to New Zealand since Christchurch doesn't interest me all the much. Is there another city in Australia that is worth visiting? Sort of how California has L.A. and San Francisco? The place doesn't necessarily have to be city-like, just in terms of activities, diversity, food, arts, shows, etc.?

MurinuR wrote:Try and stay near Circular Quay as it's central and all your tranport, (bus, train, ferry) are in the one area. Accommodation wise, there's a brand spanking new YHA next to the station which is pretty spiffy.

Also your right on George Street so you can hop on a bus and be straight smack bang in the middle of the city after a 5-10min ride.

A few suggestions -

Grap your budgie smugglers, hop on the ferry at "The Quay" and go check out Manley. It's a laid back place with some pretty good waves (depending on the day) and is a good alternative to the over-rated Bondi beach. We have an absolutely beautiful harbour so try and sit outside, up front so you can enjoy the view.

The Rocks is worth checking and is full of little historical "water holes". It's a place where you can sit back and relax and wet your whistle after a long day of sight seeing. There's a good market there on the weekends.

P.S. Get ready to get ripped off if you get a train from the airport. The government leased the domestic and international stations to the private sector in order to make a quick buck. It's going to cost you about $18 each, one way for a 10min ride.

Thanks A BUNCH MurinuR! I did as you suggested and I booked a 5 night stay at the Travelodge not too far from the Circular Quay. There was a couple other Travelodges that was closer to there, but the one i booked is was the cheapest I could find and it's on Wentworth. BTW, what's a YHA and a budgie smuggler? lol...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum