8th Ave heading to Australia!!

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:00 pm
Hello everyone! My name is Bobby if all of you didn't know by now, and I'm going to Australia on May 28th. I know Bigs made one of these threads, and I thought I'd do it too since i know Migya, TMC, Pawno, and maybe some other people on the board may be from there as well.

I'm starting my trip off in Sydney. After Sydney, my girlfriend and I will fly to Auckland, New Zealand, and from there we will finish our trip back in Melbourne, Australia. I was wondering if anyone had any valuable information that I might need before I get there? What should I do? Is there a transportation system I could use to get to my hotel i.e. BART station? Any good museums, restaurant, hotels, event or anything?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! PEACE!
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:47 pm
Well, actually... TMC is from Spain. :wink:

Guys like Migya, Pawno, and Quazza are people in Australia. I think there's a couple more but those guys quickly come off the top of my head. You'll probably wanna ask those three.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:56 am
if in Melbourne, definitely catch a Football game. At the MCG if you can.
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:05 am
8th ave wrote:Hello everyone! My name is Bobby if all of you didn't know by now, and I'm going to Australia on May 28th. I know Bigs made one of these threads, and I thought I'd do it too since i know Migya, TMC, Pawno, and maybe some other people on the board may be from there as well.

I'm starting my trip off in Sydney. After Sydney, my girlfriend and I will fly to Auckland, New Zealand, and from there we will finish our trip back in Melbourne, Australia. I was wondering if anyone had any valuable information that I might need before I get there? What should I do? Is there a transportation system I could use to get to my hotel i.e. BART station? Any good museums, restaurant, hotels, event or anything?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! PEACE!

Hahah funny ****... The 3 Aussies that are on the board, dont even live in the cities your visiting.

Quazza=ADELAIDE
MIGYA=PERTH
PAWNO=BRISBANE

There's public transport in both cities... Melbourne and Sydney! I dont know how quick they run... But yeah they'll get you from the airport terminal to the City Centre.

If you head up Queensland way... Get in touch! Thats where im at...

I know MurinuR is from Sydney so maybe PM him and he can give some reccomendations. 8)
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:45 am
Pitty you're not coming to Perth 8th ave, I could give you accomadation for as long as you were here.

I don't know much about the other cities in Australia, since they are so far away from where I am, like LA to New York distance with next to nothing in between.

Have a good time and keep us posted on your trip

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:55 am
xbay wrote:Well, actually... TMC is from Spain. :wink:

Actually, I'm everywhere... didn't you get the memo? :mrgreen:

Have fun while you're in Oz, Bobby. A pity nobody can help you more, as you're gonna visit every aussie town in which we don't have any members... but hey, I'm sure it'll be a great experience.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:30 pm
Damn, how unfortunate =\ Has anyone been to New Zealand? Me and my girlfriend is weighing our options between Auckland and Christchurch. I've went to both official websites and it seems to me as if Christchurch is more out-doorsy and Auckland is much more of a city place which I'd be more comfortable with. BTW, how far is Brisbane and Perth from melbourne or sydney?
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:06 pm
8th ave wrote:Damn, how unfortunate =\ Has anyone been to New Zealand? Me and my girlfriend is weighing our options between Auckland and Christchurch. I've went to both official websites and it seems to me as if Christchurch is more out-doorsy and Auckland is much more of a city place which I'd be more comfortable with. BTW, how far is Brisbane and Perth from melbourne or sydney?
well firstly aukland is like Oakland. Crabby n rundown. If your planning on just seeing the city centre then it'll be a congested roads n graffiti siteseeing trip. I mean it's a nice little city surrounding a bay. But if your not willing to rent a car n drive around the outlying areas then i wouldn't waste more then 2 days in oakland NZ! As for your question. Brisbane is about 600 miles from sydney north direction & perth is like 3000 miles from melbourne.
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:58 pm
Yeah, I'm from Sydney mate. (but i'll be in Darwin the majority of May)

Try and stay near Circular Quay as it's central and all your tranport, (bus, train, ferry) are in the one area. Accommodation wise, there's a brand spanking new YHA next to the station which is pretty spiffy.

Also your right on George Street so you can hop on a bus and be straight smack bang in the middle of the city after a 5-10min ride.

A few suggestions -

Grap your budgie smugglers, hop on the ferry at "The Quay" and go check out Manley. It's a laid back place with some pretty good waves (depending on the day) and is a good alternative to the over-rated Bondi beach. We have an absolutely beautiful harbour so try and sit outside, up front so you can enjoy the view.

The Rocks is worth checking and is full of little historical "water holes". It's a place where you can sit back and relax and wet your whistle after a long day of sight seeing. There's a good market there on the weekends.

And as Quazza said go try and check out some of our sports. It's AFL down in Melbourne but we are Rugby League/Union men around this neck of the woods. In case your wondering our game is a bit like your gridiron except we don't wear all the helmets, shoulderpads and other pussycat gear.

Hope this helps, enjoy Oz.

P.S. Get ready to get ripped off if you get a train from the airport. The government leased the domestic and international stations to the private sector in order to make a quick buck. It's going to cost you about $18 each, one way for a 10min ride.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:23 pm
PAWNO wrote:
8th ave wrote:Damn, how unfortunate =\ Has anyone been to New Zealand? Me and my girlfriend is weighing our options between Auckland and Christchurch. I've went to both official websites and it seems to me as if Christchurch is more out-doorsy and Auckland is much more of a city place which I'd be more comfortable with. BTW, how far is Brisbane and Perth from melbourne or sydney?
well firstly aukland is like Oakland. Crabby n rundown. If your planning on just seeing the city centre then it'll be a congested roads n graffiti siteseeing trip. I mean it's a nice little city surrounding a bay. But if your not willing to rent a car n drive around the outlying areas then i wouldn't waste more then 2 days in oakland NZ! As for your question. Brisbane is about 600 miles from sydney north direction & perth is like 3000 miles from melbourne.

dont let Pawno twist it up he truely is from Aukland.....Pawno why you frontin ? :mrgreen:
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:43 pm
When/If I go to Australia, i want to try Kangaroo meat and Vegemite.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:47 pm
Dont think I will ever make it over to Australia. Maybe to New Zealand since my grandfather lives there.

If I go to Australia, it will have to be there without my wife for sure. SHe lived there for a few years as a young girl. She has nothing but terrible memories about the place.

She said the kids were ruthless to her as the only American in their school. And she said the bugs are REALLY big! lol. she hates bugs.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:38 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:When/If I go to Australia, i want to try Kangaroo meat and Vegemite.

I've nevber tried Kangaroo meat, though I almost did twice. I think I'll stay with the traditional cow, chicken and fish

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:39 pm
bada wrote:Dont think I will ever make it over to Australia. Maybe to New Zealand since my grandfather lives there.

If I go to Australia, it will have to be there without my wife for sure. SHe lived there for a few years as a young girl. She has nothing but terrible memories about the place.

She said the kids were ruthless to her as the only American in their school. And she said the bugs are REALLY big! lol. she hates bugs.

Sorry for your wife, but that doesn't describe all of Australia obviously. If you do come here Bada and you want to come to Perth, I have a double bed here for you and if you were to bring kids, I'm sure me and my family could accomodate you

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:44 pm
migya wrote:
bada wrote:Dont think I will ever make it over to Australia. Maybe to New Zealand since my grandfather lives there.

Sorry for your wife, but that doesn't describe all of Australia obviously. If you do come here Bada and you want to come to Perth, I have a double bed here for you and if you were to bring kids, I'm sure me and my family could accomodate you

Thanks migya... much appreciated!!!

Yeah, I did not mean it to disparage aussies. People can have bad experiences anywhere. I mean when your family moves you suddenly to a new country it is hard on children. She did not know anybody and she obviously was "different" than the other children.

I think she forgives that... it is more the gigantic bugs that freak her out. lol
Next

Return to Off-Topic Forum