The All MMA Things Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:51 pm
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:Actually, there were rumors that Velasquez will take on Brock Lesnar... especially after Cain talked about how he felt he deserved a shot against him.

Who Dos Santos fights is up in the air, but if I had to put my money on it... I'd put it on him fighting the loser of the Frank Mir/Shane Carwin heavyweight title fight this Saturday. With the winner of Velasquez/Lesnar(if that happens) taking on the winner of the Mir/Carwin fight.

It was said that the winner of Mir/Carwin will take on Lesnar next, as apparently Lesnar is still getting back to 100%

You're right. I just read an article. The winner will take on Lesnar because this is an "interim" title bout. So the winner will take on Lesnar to unify it.

They're already making a case for Velasquez/dos Santos.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:57 pm
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:Actually, there were rumors that Velasquez will take on Brock Lesnar... especially after Cain talked about how he felt he deserved a shot against him.

Who Dos Santos fights is up in the air, but if I had to put my money on it... I'd put it on him fighting the loser of the Frank Mir/Shane Carwin heavyweight title fight this Saturday. With the winner of Velasquez/Lesnar(if that happens) taking on the winner of the Mir/Carwin fight.

It was said that the winner of Mir/Carwin will take on Lesnar next, as apparently Lesnar is still getting back to 100%

You're right. I just read an article. The winner will take on Lesnar because this is an "interim" title bout. So the winner will take on Lesnar to unify it.

That matchup of Valasquez and Dos Santos would be a real good one and the only thing would be whether Dos Santos could keep it on the feet

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:17 pm
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:

That matchup of Valasquez and Dos Santos would be a real good one and the only thing would be whether Dos Santos could keep it on the feet

Keep it on the feet? They're like equal on the feet. Neither has a clear advantage over each other boxing wise. Both are great brawlers. People who doubted Cain's boxing before the Noguiera fight suddenly stopped talking. His hands are really underrated. Don't get me wrong, I love dos Santos. I love both fighters, I couldn't root against either one in a match against each other.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:04 am
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:

Keep it on the feet? They're like equal on the feet. Neither has a clear advantage over each other boxing wise. Both are great brawlers. People who doubted Cain's boxing before the Noguiera fight suddenly stopped talking. His hands are really underrated. Don't get me wrong, I love dos Santos. I love both fighters, I couldn't root against either one in a match against each other.

Think Dos Santos still has better hands and his hands are almost his only weapon still

Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:13 am
April 17 gonna be good.
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:31 am
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:

Think Dos Santos still has better hands and his hands are almost his only weapon still

cain vs dos santos! wooo! that'll be one hell of a fight... gotta agree with migya, dos santos has the bettter hands... still think cain would win the fight...
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:59 am
Very expected finishes tonight.

GSP showed off his wrestling tonight against Hardy very well. There was just no escaping his grappling and sprawling his takedowns. But I give major props to Hardy for never giving up. Pierre got Hardy in an armbar and kamura... didn't tap once. A lot of heart from Hardy there. GSP really wanted a KO, though... despite all the submission attempts. That welterweight belt is never going to change hands unless someone lands a lucky KO on him or he retires.

Carwin destroyed Mir. Up against the cage, a couple uppercuts and Carwin had Mir on the ground... leading to some ground and pound and the TKO. I wasn't sure to think about Carwin cause I've never seen him fight, but man that guy packs power in his punches. Should be a great fight between him and Lesnar.

Pellegrino had a solid outing against Camoes. Solid display of BJJ, and a nice transition into the rear naked choke to end it.

Jon Fitch... :sleepy2:

Jim Miller was decent, but... :sleepy2:

Nate Diaz looked real good in his middleweight debut. Although, he was originally a Welterweight, but his opponent was at middleweight so he had to gain some. Still looked the same, still looked light on his feet... his boxing tonight was great.

Almeida looked solid against Matt Brown.

Palhares had a good submission Drwal. Drwal went in for a push kick, missed, landed awkwardly, Palhares went in for a heel hook, and while Drwal was tapping out cause he was in so much pain... Palhares kept the submission in for about 5 more seconds. Feel bad for Drwal... looks like he'll need some major surgery on his leg.

Jared Hamman/Rodney Wallace was an entertaining fight.

Didn't catch Riddle/Soto.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:37 am
xbay wrote:Very expected finishes tonight.

GSP showed off his wrestling tonight against Hardy very well. There was just no escaping his grappling and sprawling his takedowns. But I give major props to Hardy for never giving up. Pierre got Hardy in an armbar and kamura... didn't tap once. A lot of heart from Hardy there. GSP really wanted a KO, though... despite all the submission attempts. That welterweight belt is never going to change hands unless someone lands a lucky KO on him or he retires.

Carwin destroyed Mir. Up against the cage, a couple uppercuts and Carwin had Mir on the ground... leading to some ground and pound and the TKO. I wasn't sure to think about Carwin cause I've never seen him fight, but man that guy packs power in his punches. Should be a great fight between him and Lesnar.

Pellegrino had a solid outing against Camoes. Solid display of BJJ, and a nice transition into the rear naked choke to end it.

Nate Diaz looked real good in his middleweight debut. Although, he was originally a Welterweight, but his opponent was at middleweight so he had to gain some. Still looked the same, still looked light on his feet... his boxing tonight was great.

Palhares had a good submission Drwal. Drwal went in for a push kick, missed, landed awkwardly, Palhares went in for a heel hook, and while Drwal was tapping out cause he was in so much pain... Palhares kept the submission in for about 5 more seconds. Feel bad for Drwal... looks like he'll need some major surgery on his leg.

Will see the fights soon, but just saw the play by play.

GSP really is dominant and he will go down as one of the greatest fighters in uFC history. He and Anderson Silva will and I would like to see both of them fight real soon, as both have no match in their divisions.

Carwin may have surprised many with his quick win over Mir, but his power was showcased when he knocked out Gonzaga a few months ago. Mir is quite full of shiit when he talks and I'm happy Carwin won. I'd like to see a Mir v Rodrigo Nog rematch and Nog to win. Carwin v Lesnar should be interesting, but Carwin won't have the strength edge there, though he could knockout Lesnar with one big punch.

Fitch always seems to grind out wins, but he hasn't lost since he did to St. Pierre and I would like to see him go against Alves in a rematch of those two from about three years ago, Alves' only other loss. Alves has been reported to be injured though so Fitch should be the next to go against St Pierre

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:04 pm
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:Very expected finishes tonight.

Will see the fights soon, but just saw the play by play.

GSP really is dominant and he will go down as one of the greatest fighters in uFC history. He and Anderson Silva will and I would like to see both of them fight real soon, as both have no match in their divisions.

Carwin may have surprised many with his quick win over Mir, but his power was showcased when he knocked out Gonzaga a few months ago. Mir is quite full of shiit when he talks and I'm happy Carwin won. I'd like to see a Mir v Rodrigo Nog rematch and Nog to win. Carwin v Lesnar should be interesting, but Carwin won't have the strength edge there, though he could knockout Lesnar with one big punch.

Fitch always seems to grind out wins, but he hasn't lost since he did to St. Pierre and I would like to see him go against Alves in a rematch of those two from about three years ago, Alves' only other loss. Alves has been reported to be injured though so Fitch should be the next to go against St Pierre

I'd love to see that. I think GSP would move up in weight, though, instead of Silva coming down. Still don't think that'd happen anytime soon, unfortunately.

Mir is always full of ****. The way he talks in front of a camera, the way he just sits in front of a camera, the way he walks to the ring with a camera on him. That doesn't mean I hate him, cause I actually do like the guy. But Mir couldn't back up his talk and it cost him the Interim HW title.

Alves is looking for a fight after that whole CT scan issue. I think Fitch could be his next opponent. GSP's next opponent could be the winner of Koscheck/Daley. I hope to God Koscheck loses... cause last thing the welterweight division needs is another rematch between GSP and Koscheck.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:21 pm
i was reading a couple of blogs that was putting down GSP. the play by play on espn had to nerves to say that the only thing different between jon fitch and gsp is a gatorade deal. i also saw an interview with dan hardy saying that he wasn't overwhelmed and that he think he can still beat GSP...

i think all of that was straight up bullshit. i dislike people always wanting a knockout or submission. i personally love seeing how easy gsp takes down his opponents and win with ease. he deserves all the credit and dan hardy needs to admit that gsp is in a league of his own. and the comparison between jon fitch and gsp? i'll jsut say that gsp has way better hands and kicks than fitch will ever have.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:29 pm
No one's going to beat GSP in that division. There's NO ONE in that division.

Dan Hardy had as good of a chance winning Saturday as you and me. I give the guy props for not giving up, but he still got dominated on the ground. He couldn't keep the fight standing up, and whenever GSP went in for the takedown, Hardy failed to sprawl. He may not have done much damage to Hardy, but he completely dominated him on the ground. Just cause a guy doesn't win by submission or KO doesn't mean he's not all that good. Fitch... hahahaha.

I don't know what fights those people are watching... GSP is AMAZING. They're just hating because he can be a snooze at times and they wanna see some amazing submission or KO rather than watching him wrestle for five rounds. Shoot, I would too... but you get what you get. I'd love to see those guys in Hardy's position and try to defend GSP's takedowns.

Honestly, the only way I see GSP losing is if Jake Shields comes to the UFC(which probably is going to happen after the Hendo fight). Shields is a snooze too, but he's an EXCELLENT grappler. One of the best BJJ artists in the sport.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:45 pm
8th ave wrote:i was reading a couple of blogs that was putting down GSP. the play by play on espn had to nerves to say that the only thing different between jon fitch and gsp is a gatorade deal. i also saw an interview with dan hardy saying that he wasn't overwhelmed and that he think he can still beat GSP...

i think all of that was straight up bullshit. i dislike people always wanting a knockout or submission. i personally love seeing how easy gsp takes down his opponents and win with ease. he deserves all the credit and dan hardy needs to admit that gsp is in a league of his own. and the comparison between jon fitch and gsp? i'll jsut say that gsp has way better hands and kicks than fitch will ever have.

As xbay said, GSP is way above all others in his division. I'd liek to add that Penn and ASilva seem to also be in their respective divisions. GSP destroyed Hardy in a display of grappling that only he has showed before and noone else I've seen. He could have ponded Hardy to win by KO, but he wanted to submit him and had his way all night. Fitch hasn't lost since losing to GSP, but he got smashed last time and if he goes against him again, it will be no different and Fitch is a great fighter.

I want to see GSP v Anderson Silva, but firstly I want to see GSP win two more fights, as that will give him more straight title defense wins than Hughes did and so should make him the most dominant welterweight ever, rather than that clown, arrogant Hughes

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:19 am
migya wrote:
8th ave wrote:i was reading a couple of blogs that was putting down GSP. the play by play on espn had to nerves to say that the only thing different between jon fitch and gsp is a gatorade deal. i also saw an interview with dan hardy saying that he wasn't overwhelmed and that he think he can still beat GSP...

As xbay said, GSP is way above all others in his division. I'd liek to add that Penn and ASilva seem to also be in their respective divisions. GSP destroyed Hardy in a display of grappling that only he has showed before and noone else I've seen. He could have ponded Hardy to win by KO, but he wanted to submit him and had his way all night. Fitch hasn't lost since losing to GSP, but he got smashed last time and if he goes against him again, it will be no different and Fitch is a great fighter.

I want to see GSP v Anderson Silva, but firstly I want to see GSP win two more fights, as that will give him more straight title defense wins than Hughes did and so should make him the most dominant welterweight ever, rather than that clown, arrogant Hughes

There were rumors that GSP was unhappy with KO ratio and was looking to go for a TKO or KO, but would of been happy with a submission. He attempted twice and nearly pulled them both off. You gotta remember, it's been many months since he last fought... so he was rusty. And honestly, if what we saw Saturday was "rust," than just wait until he's back to normal.

Like I said before, I want to see GSP/Silva as well, but that may never happen. If it does, it won't be anytime soon. GSP is going to continue to rip through his opponents in the welterweight division. Once Jake Shields comes to the UFC, that'll be GSP's next opponent. And if Shields and Fitch can't get it done, then I'd expect a GSP/Silva fight to happen. 'Til then, the only divisions worth watching are the Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:51 am
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:

There were rumors that GSP was unhappy with KO ratio and was looking to go for a TKO or KO, but would of been happy with a submission. He attempted twice and nearly pulled them both off. You gotta remember, it's been many months since he last fought... so he was rusty. And honestly, if what we saw Saturday was "rust," than just wait until he's back to normal.

Like I said before, I want to see GSP/Silva as well, but that may never happen. If it does, it won't be anytime soon. GSP is going to continue to rip through his opponents in the welterweight division. Once Jake Shields comes to the UFC, that'll be GSP's next opponent. And if Shields and Fitch can't get it done, then I'd expect a GSP/Silva fight to happen. 'Til then, the only divisions worth watching are the Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight.

Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight are definately more wide open, especially Light Heavyweight, where it is a scramble behind champion Machida and challenger Rua. Reckon Couture will be given next title shot, as he is old and it might be the last chance he and the UFC gets to make the money of him in a huge fight.

Really want to see Dos Santos v Valasquez, that would be a real anticipated matchup of undefeated Heaveweights

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:00 am
i don't see jake shields beating gsp =\
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board