drew gooden

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:56 am
Umm... NBA.com says Murphy's 8.7 as well. Might want to check that.

But, regardless, I was going off the traditional numbers. Gooden's grabbing his usual 6-9 boards a game. His averages are always sprinkled between there. Murphy, on the other hand, was 5th in the league last year (grabbing 10.8 a game... 5 offensively)! Drew Gooden, last year, averaged 9.2. And, not counting Murph's 28-game, season-ending injury year, the season prior to that, he averaged 10.2 (I believe Gooden averaged 6.5).

To go along with those superior rebounding numbers, Troy Murphy is also a 15 ppg scorer (Drew Gooden averages 11 this season). And, personally, I'd rather have a power forward who can hit from the mid-range continually (like Murphy) rather than Gooden's shaky 15-footer. The fact that Troy can hit from the outside, as well, means he takes more jumpers (and, thus, has a worse FG%), but don't be mistaken into believing that Murphy can't score inside. Just because a movelist in the post in practically non-existent for Troy doesn't mean he wont slam the ball or lay-it in. And, also, big men inside tend to be fouled a lot. Murphy is an 80% career free-throw shooter. Gooden's only a 70%.

Once again, aside from shot-blocking, the choice appears to be quite clear. Troy Murphy is superior in virtually every category.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:04 pm
well your kind of missing the point. they both rebound well. ok. the warriors are a flawed team. we have a power forward who shoots 20 footers, a guy with no athleticism, no inside game, no defensive skills.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:14 pm
#32 wrote:Umm... NBA.com says Murphy's 8.7 as well. Might want to check that.

Ummmmmmmm.......
U conveniently forgot to add the LA game number when he got 2 reb.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:18 pm
#32 wrote:
But, regardless, I was going off the traditional numbers. Gooden's grabbing his usual 6-9 boards a game. His averages are always sprinkled between there. Murphy, on the other hand, was 5th in the league last year (grabbing 10.8 a game... 5 offensively)! Drew Gooden, last year, averaged 9.2. And, not counting Murph's 28-game, season-ending injury year, the season prior to that, he averaged 10.2 (I believe Gooden averaged 6.5).

I know Murphy is your boy but now u are stretching the truth. Just go by rebs per 48 min and gooden wins.

PS Don't count gooden's rookie numbers against Murphy's sophomore numbers.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:25 pm
#32 wrote:
To go along with those superior rebounding numbers, Troy Murphy is also a 15 ppg scorer (Drew Gooden averages 11 this season). And, personally, I'd rather have a power forward who can hit from the mid-range continually (like Murphy) rather than Gooden's shaky 15-footer. The fact that Troy can hit from the outside, as well, means he takes more jumpers (and, thus, has a worse FG%), but don't be mistaken into believing that Murphy can't score inside. Just because a movelist in the post in practically non-existent for Troy doesn't mean he wont slam the ball or lay-it in. And, also, big men inside tend to be fouled a lot. Murphy is an 80% career free-throw shooter. Gooden's only a 70%.

Once again, aside from shot-blocking, the choice appears to be quite clear. Troy Murphy is superior in virtually every category.

Murphy lives and dies with his jumper(42% FG means he dies a lot more than live with his jumper)

But those two are both pathetic defensively, but gooden at least has a chance to do well in the pick and rolls due to his lateral quickness.

Translation: by Ike's third year he would start over them both at PF. So I don't care about this trade. Unless Mullin puts the final stamp on his growing list of idiotic moves by trading diogu.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:42 pm
Damn, Newman, 3 posts? Just edit the 1st one next time! This is spam-worthy!

But, stretching the truth? You and I both know that per 48 minute stats don't mean anything. If they did, last season the Knicks had the league's best player (Jackie Butler... a nobody who averaged 96 points per 48). Still seem logical to compare two players by 48-minute stats? More time means more time to fail.

You're right, Murphy is my boy, and it came after hating his guts the first two seasons because I saw things the way you're seeing them right now. Then I sat back and realized that Murphy, though untraditional, gets the job done. 15 points and 10 rebounds a game aren't false statistics. Watching Drew Gooden (and watching him in the NBA, not college, like most of you guys are nostagically doing), I've realized that he's just your everyday, average power forward. Capable of 10 to 12 points with 8 rebounds on a nightly basis.

Why trade an above average player for an average one? Murphy's game fits fine with Golden State. Most of you guys are blindly clawing for an inside post game. Do you think that aquiring Drew Gooden is really gonna stop players like Richardson, Pietrus, Dunleavy, Davis, and Fisher from heaving up too many perimeter shots every night? I highly doubt it. If we ever made this trade, all it would end up being would be another thing for this board to bitch and moan about (I can see it now... threads titled "Warriors Not Using Gooden Right!" or "Drew's Being Held Back" or "PASS DREW THE BALL"...). Personally, I'd rather be spared the annoying crap on this board that would come from an otherwise meaningless trade.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:05 pm
#32 wrote:15 points and 10 rebounds a game aren't false statistics. Watching Drew Gooden (and watching him in the NBA, not college, like most of you guys are nostagically doing), I've realized that he's just your everyday, average power forward. Capable of 10 to 12 points with 8 rebounds on a nightly basis.

Why trade an above average player for an average one? Murphy's game fits fine with Golden State.

I also beilieve this! Murphy is playing bad right now and seems to have an attitude problem at the moment but he is a very good player and fits well with the team!

ALL FOR DIOGU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:52 am
#32 wrote:Why trade an above average player for an average one? Murphy's game fits fine with Golden State. Most of you guys are blindly clawing for an inside post game. Do you think that aquiring Drew Gooden is really gonna stop players like Richardson, Pietrus, Dunleavy, Davis, and Fisher from heaving up too many perimeter shots every night? I highly doubt it. If we ever made this trade, all it would end up being would be another thing for this board to bitch and moan about (I can see it now... threads titled "Warriors Not Using Gooden Right!" or "Drew's Being Held Back" or "PASS DREW THE BALL"...). Personally, I'd rather be spared the annoying crap on this board that would come from an otherwise meaningless trade.

I wouldn't like this trade because of Gooden. It's because Murphy is not worthy of what the Warriors are paying him (no, better yet, what they'll be paying him). 12 f*cking millons?. No, thanks, I'd rather have that money to re-sign Pietrus.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:06 pm
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:Why trade an above average player for an average one? Murphy's game fits fine with Golden State. Most of you guys are blindly clawing for an inside post game. Do you think that aquiring Drew Gooden is really gonna stop players like Richardson, Pietrus, Dunleavy, Davis, and Fisher from heaving up too many perimeter shots every night? I highly doubt it. If we ever made this trade, all it would end up being would be another thing for this board to bitch and moan about (I can see it now... threads titled "Warriors Not Using Gooden Right!" or "Drew's Being Held Back" or "PASS DREW THE BALL"...). Personally, I'd rather be spared the annoying crap on this board that would come from an otherwise meaningless trade.

I wouldn't like this trade because of Gooden. It's because Murphy is not worthy of what the Warriors are paying him (no, better yet, what they'll be paying him). 12 f*cking millons?. No, thanks, I'd rather have that money to re-sign Pietrus.

No one's even close to being worth, what mullin is paying them. (Richardson is the closest)

Murphy is a big man who will play worthless defense, and put up very inefficient shooting numbers. If u can learn to love that then good for u but there are many better options out there for 10+ million a year.

Lets see which retarded NBA GM gives gooden a 10+ million dollar contract
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:44 pm
Murphy's actually a rebounding machine with the ability to hit a jumper anywhere from under the hoop to the 3-point line. He's also improving every year so far. How can you discredit a guy who works his ass off like that?
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:58 pm
#32 wrote:Murphy's actually a rebounding machine with the ability to hit a jumper anywhere from under the hoop to the 3-point line. He's also improving every year so far. How can you discredit a guy who works his ass off like that?

Bottom line the guy will shoot 42% for u. If that is good shooting then I dont want good shooting.

U cant win consistently if u are last in the league in FG%.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:59 pm
murphy fits better for warriors though. yes, Drew Gooden does put up better numbers than murphy but the way the warriors flow, murphy is the better fit. He pulls out defenders with his jumpshot which opens up driving lanes for the guards. individually, i'd take gooden but team concept and flow wise, murphy slighty takes it over gooden.
New. Stuff.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:59 pm
Exactly. Murphy is a better player for our team.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:46 pm
Gooden is better defender/rebounder/low post player than murphy but is he isnt a better fit for the warriors because we dont need those things. yea makes a whole lot of sense to me.

getting comical in here
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:10 pm
Gooden's actually not a better rebounder, tradedunleavy. You guys can fall back on your little theories about "who boxes out" or whatever, but check the stats and watch the games. Murphy's a better rebounder (and a far better scorer). He's better for us.
PreviousNext

Return to Trades