YES
63%
NO
38%

Total votes : 8

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:09 am
"Always" Next wrote:did it bother anybody else or just me that as soon as Montas shot bounced off the rim for the 35th and final time that he had a huge smile on his face and instantly ran over and started huggin on his opponents? I hate that sh*t! There is too much cameraderie in the NBA among opponents.

lol I totally agree with this. The Warriors need a LaGarrette Blount or Bill Laimbeer. I know Kobe needs to get his jaw busted :evil:

Seriously, the way the Lakers were knocking around Steph and Monta we could have used an enforcer.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:03 pm
"Always" Next wrote:did it bother anybody else or just me that as soon as Montas shot bounced off the rim for the 35th and final time that he had a huge smile on his face and instantly ran over and started huggin on his opponents? I hate that sh*t! There is too much cameraderie in the NBA among opponents.

That particular instance did not bother me too much as I think it was more like "how the heck did that not bounce in" a smile more from astonishment.

HOWEVER, it is indicitive of the biggest critisism I have of Monta is that (and I have said this many times on this board) he does not appear to take the game very seriously. I dont think he really cares all that much about winning or losing. Sure I dont think he likes losing, but I dont see that BURNING desire to NOT LOSE. The best of the best have that and is in part why I dont see him as a leader.

You can see a STARK difference in this regard between Curry and Monta. I think Monta is just a laid back guy who likes playing the game and loves the money he makes but beyond that, it is just about going out there and "doing your thing".

This is all based on outside observation so I could be offbase, but then when I see the guy spending the entire pre-game shootaround shooting one handed, over the shoulder, backward 3pters instead of working on his game and setting the tone for his young teammates, it confirms this for me.
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:20 pm
Morrow was pissed when he didn't get the ball for the last shot.
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:37 pm
bada wrote:

That particular instance did not bother me too much as I think it was more like "how the heck did that not bounce in" a smile more from astonishment.

HOWEVER, it is indicitive of the biggest critisism I have of Monta is that (and I have said this many times on this board) he does not appear to take the game very seriously. I dont think he really cares all that much about winning or losing. Sure I dont think he likes losing, but I dont see that BURNING desire to NOT LOSE. The best of the best have that and is in part why I dont see him as a leader.

You can see a STARK difference in this regard between Curry and Monta. I think Monta is just a laid back guy who likes playing the game and loves the money he makes but beyond that, it is just about going out there and "doing your thing".

This is all based on outside observation so I could be offbase, but then when I see the guy spending the entire pre-game shootaround shooting one handed, over the shoulder, backward 3pters instead of working on his game and setting the tone for his young teammates, it confirms this for me.

I agree with bada on the reason for the smile.

I disagree about the desire to win. I also disagree that Curry is SOO much more passionate about winning. I mean, Curry almost seems to have a "tim duncan blank game face" on the whole game. Monta is arguing with the refs constantly (although he does a good job of not taking it over the top like SJac would), and often looks pretty upset during the game.

I also blame Don for never giving the dude a breather. I'm pretty sure monta is leading the league in FULL games played right now. I still can't believe how much Don has makes his best players play even during un-winnable games. We saw it in Baron, Jackson, and now Ellis - that these guys eventually have to learn how to manage their energy on the floor, because they know Don will not take them out. So it looks at times like they don't care, but when you look at how much energy they are putting out over the full game, it's insane.

finally, I know he was having a horrible shooting night, but the dude still had a solid game - 11 asts, 1TO, 5 Stls and tough tough D on Kobe w/ only 3 mins of rest still coming off a back injury. If he was having an off night, and was like "fvck it" and just out of it I'd agree, but the dude was trying particularly on the defensive end the whole night.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:58 pm
I disagree about the desire to win. I also disagree that Curry is SOO much more passionate about winning. I mean, Curry almost seems to have a "tim duncan blank game face" on the whole game. Monta is arguing with the refs constantly (although he does a good job of not taking it over the top like SJac would), and often looks pretty upset during the game.

That blank face worked pretty well for Duncan. 4× NBA Champion.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:22 pm
TheBodyGuard wrote:Morrow was pissed when he didn't get the ball for the last shot.

I would have been pissed too...I'd rather much take the shot myself than someone literally fall over from trying to get back to the 3-point line too fast...

Morrow may have gotten it, may have not...but still.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:22 pm
Hardest loss to take since game 1 of the Jazz playoff series, with the way it ended. Sure as hell couldn't ask for better entertainment though.
I was pulling for Monta the whole game - national tv, matched up against Kobe, loving his dimes and D, just wishing his shots would fall, and then the triple-bounce on the rim... Couldn't fall asleep cause of it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B-iImJ6ho4[/youtube]
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:03 am
AV Dawn wrote:Hardest loss to take since game 1 of the Jazz playoff series, with the way it ended. Sure as hell couldn't ask for better entertainment though.
I was pulling for Monta the whole game - national tv, matched up against Kobe, loving his dimes and D, just wishing his shots would fall, and then the triple-bounce on the rim... Couldn't fall asleep cause of it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B-iImJ6ho4[/youtube]

hardest loss was that first denver home loss this season, when JR smith got "fouled" on a three point play to basically decide the game.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:44 am
first off wrote:I disagree about the desire to win. I also disagree that Curry is SOO much more passionate about winning. I mean, Curry almost seems to have a "tim duncan blank game face" on the whole game. Monta is arguing with the refs constantly (although he does a good job of not taking it over the top like SJac would), and often looks pretty upset during the game.
Hmm, granted I have only watched a couple games in the last three weeks but I have not seen that. Games I have watched Curry is pretty animated.

First Off wrote:I also blame Don for never giving the dude a breather. I'm pretty sure monta is leading the league in FULL games played right now. I still can't believe how much Don has makes his best players play even during un-winnable games. We saw it in Baron, Jackson, and now Ellis - that these guys eventually have to learn how to manage their energy on the floor, because they know Don will not take them out. So it looks at times like they don't care, but when you look at how much energy they are putting out over the full game, it's insane.
Yes, he way overplays his people. Drives me crazy

First Off wrote: finally, I know he was having a horrible shooting night, but the dude still had a solid game - 11 asts, 1TO, 5 Stls and tough tough D on Kobe w/ only 3 mins of rest still coming off a back injury. If he was having an off night, and was like "fvck it" and just out of it I'd agree, but the dude was trying particularly on the defensive end the whole night.

I never said he was a quiter or he did not play hard but nor does that come into play when I am talking about the will to win and hating to lose. Playing hard is an expectation of drawing your salary. That is just part of your job.

What I am talking about it perhaps more intangible, but I do think his preparation methods make you question how seriously he takes the game.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:55 am
Monta is definitely not the same personality type as say a Kobe or Jordan.
He may just need to keep it light in order to stay loose.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:17 am
Money Morrow wrote:Monta is definitely not the same personality type as say a Kobe or Jordan.

yeah, I get that. And it unrealistic for me to expect that. I mean recently Kobe whent 2-11 from 3 pt range over a two game span. SO what does he do? The next game he came to the arena 4 hours before anyone else showed up and shot 3 after 3. Then in the game that night, buried a 3 to win the game.

Kobe gets murdered in this forum and I get that... enemy and all, but the guy is a killer because of his mental approach to the game and his work ethic. He is never satisfied.

Clearly Monta IS satisfied as he spends his pre-game shooting trick shots in front of hsi young teamates on a team that is 3rd worst in the league. Again, maybe this is not fair but that is the perception he puts out there by doing what he does.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:39 am
bada wrote:
Money Morrow wrote:Monta is definitely not the same personality type as say a Kobe or Jordan.

yeah, I get that. And it unrealistic for me to expect that. I mean recently Kobe whent 2-11 from 3 pt range over a two game span. SO what does he do? The next game he came to the arena 4 hours before anyone else showed up and shot 3 after 3. Then in the game that night, buried a 3 to win the game.

Kobe gets murdered in this forum and I get that... enemy and all, but the guy is a killer because of his mental approach to the game and his work ethic. He is never satisfied.

Clearly Monta IS satisfied as he spends his pre-game shooting trick shots in front of hsi young teamates on a team that is 3rd worst in the league. Again, maybe this is not fair but that is the perception he puts out there by doing what he does.

I get what you are saying and pretty much agree with your assessment.
As you say, the only clue we get is his behavior on the court. Insatiable perfectionist is not something that can be taught, but it can be helped along and developed positively given the right situation. While he works very hard, until Monta's closing out games regularly, I wouldn't use the word killer to describe him either. A more positive situation, better support from teammates, and some rest on the bench, who knows? might be dangerous, maybe not a killer...
clearly he is not envisioning that reality on this team, this year... lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:00 pm
bada wrote:

I agree with Bada about the smile, but I don't not about the winning and losing part. We might be saying the same thing but different ways, but my biggest problem with Monta is that I don't see that drive for perfection. This drive for perfection and to want everthing done perfect is what makes players special and drives the people around them to make those same strides.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:16 pm
JSU2004 wrote:
bada wrote:

I agree with Bada about the smile, but I don't not about the winning and losing part. We might be saying the same thing but different ways, but my biggest problem with Monta is that I don't see that drive for perfection. This drive for perfection and to want everthing done perfect is what makes players special and drives the people around them to make those same strides.

Yeah, we kind of are saying the same thing then. I look at is that if you care SO MUCH about winning and not losing, you do EVERYTHING in your control to make yourself and your teamates better. I guess I am implying that I dont think Monta cares deeply about losing because I dont see him doing everything he can to make himself and his teamates better.

Like I said, I think he is just a more laid back kind of guy who is not a "rah-rah" guy and plays hard and just lets his performance during the 48 minutes speak for him. Fairly or unfairly, I just wish there was MORE.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:30 pm
I totaly understand. It's like when you watch him or anybody make a turnover. I could never Monta being that person to go up to him about taking care of the ball. He's more inclined to say don't worry about we'll get it back. Which is fine in some cases, but those mistakes can hurt you. I don't see Monta as that person that tries to minimize mistakes. That's what I mean when I say drive for perfection, so I think in essence we are saying the same thing.
PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads