The Football (Soccer, In The Colonies) Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:23 pm
True. I wasn't saying Rugby was terrible or untalented. I was just saying anyone that says the NFL is a sissy sport needs to put on some pads and line up against some 300+ pound lineman.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:45 pm
I don't watch a lot of Rugby, but to say they are bringing down guys at the same speed, I can't agree with that. I've never seen anyone with Chris Johnson type wheels out playing rugby. James, some of these lineman are really quick as well, think about a fast 270 Lb. human being, not just the 350 pound wreckin balls. There are tons of athletic defensive lineman, and i get irked when people act like rugby players are the toughest because there is no padding. If you bring a rugby player to the NFL.....he's your kicker.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:04 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:I don't watch a lot of Rugby, but to say they are bringing down guys at the same speed, I can't agree with that. I've never seen anyone with Chris Johnson type wheels out playing rugby. James, some of these lineman are really quick as well, think about a fast 270 Lb. human being, not just the 350 pound wreckin balls. There are tons of athletic defensive lineman, and i get irked when people act like rugby players are the toughest because there is no padding. If you bring a rugby player to the NFL.....he's your kicker.

Oh of course man, and I was in no way saying that rugby players are better/tougher than American football players...........just saying that rugby players have to be a little bit skilled and tactical.

But yeah, you guys no better than me about the types of guys out there in the NFL, having a huge beast of a man being able to move that quick is insane.

So its settled then, idiots who say that NFL players are pussies because of the padding.........need to be turned into a human hit pad (or whatever ot may be called) for one those goliaths. :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:16 pm
bigstrads wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:I don't watch a lot of Rugby, but to say they are bringing down guys at the same speed, I can't agree with that. I've never seen anyone with Chris Johnson type wheels out playing rugby. James, some of these lineman are really quick as well, think about a fast 270 Lb. human being, not just the 350 pound wreckin balls. There are tons of athletic defensive lineman, and i get irked when people act like rugby players are the toughest because there is no padding. If you bring a rugby player to the NFL.....he's your kicker.

Oh of course man, and I was in no way saying that rugby players are better/tougher than American football players...........just saying that rugby players have to be a little bit skilled and tactical.

But yeah, you guys no better than me about the types of guys out there in the NFL, having a huge beast of a man being able to move that quick is insane.

So its settled then, idiots who say that NFL players are pussies because of the padding.........need to be turned into a human hit pad (or whatever ot may be called) for one those goliaths. :wink:

sure! i guess its just a national pride thing, or if you play rugby, you want it to be known that you are the toughest of the tough... i understand that, you need some big balls to play rugby, i was just throwin my 2 cents in
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:31 pm
I played ice hockey for 15 years and football for 3-4years.

In college I played in exactly one rugby match. It was mayhem... I just started tripping people and throwing punches... then they took me out of the game. Those guys are crazy.
I really didn't understand the game fully. lol :bday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:42 pm
Ohh and yeah, this might clear up whether American football players are sissys =

Ps: I am of course kidding and once more for the record, do not think that...........I just came across this and thought it was funny and relevant.

Like this next one is aswell, of some typical English Football players =

Pps: To redeem myself, and show one of those goliaths...............here =

Ppps: Just to keep F'ing with all your bandwidths........... =

Ppppps: We better be glad we dont play this sport =

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:59 pm
thank you Senior gif happy... :mrgreen:

notice your example is a KC Chiefs (Quifs) player... lol

both sports have their share of bullnecked chuckleheads.
chris farley was on our rugby team....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:10 pm
never would question the toughness of a rugby player, however the speed and level of impact in rugby is nothing compared to football. The pads and helmets are what ALLOWS the game to be so viscious. When you remove the helmet, the voilence of the collisions will be much lessened.

In fact there is a growing movement in suggesting just that in the NFL. The athletes continue to get bigger, faster and stronger and equipment technology can not keep pace and brain injuries have been on the rise. Even former pros like Troy Aikmen are championing the idea of taking the helmet off to reduce the force of impacts. As it stands today, the helmet and pads gives these athletes the comfort to fly their body full speed into collisions.

Football without helmets would suck though.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:29 am
Money Morrow wrote:thank you Senior gif happy... :mrgreen:.

Yeah............I found a new GIF site last night.............and got a little bit too happy about it. :wink:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:40 am
bada wrote:Football without helmets would suck though.

Definitely. We'd be talking about a different sport, and one that probably wouldn't be as exciting.

I agree that they have to change something, but via rules, maybe by not allowing certain hits (even more than now, I mean) or... I don't know... just don't change a core part of the game. That would hurt the game more than help.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:56 am
gosh, can't we all just get along and appreciate all the sports. I love American football, and not a clue about rugby, but i see the toughness in it to not question its toughness. I wanna talk more soccer (or football to the purists).

Besides your home country (or that of your ancestry), is there a team you plan on rooting for in the world cup?

I personally like picking an African team prior to the cup starting and seeing how far they go. IN 2002, i chose Senegal and i had a blast watching them in the world cup pulling upsets. In 2006, I chose Ivory Coast, for they have my favorite player in Drogba. This year, I think I will settle on the host country, because i got to see them last year in the confederation's cup and they got a lot of heart.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:59 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Besides your home country (or that of your ancestry), is there a team you plan on rooting for in the world cup?

I always root for the dutch team, no matter what. I just love their concept of football (er... soccer, I meant :mrgreen: ), which is pretty similar to ours, based on talent and offensive football. They're a lot like Spain, tho. Lots of talented players that usually fall a bit short in the big stage...

This year... I might have to root for England as well. And maybe the USA and Australia... God, it's gonna be a mess. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:12 pm
Well, to be fair Bigs... in the first gif, no one likes Jay Cutler. And in third one, no one likes DeAngelo Hall. :mrgreen:
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:24 am
xbay wrote:Well, to be fair Bigs... in the first gif, no one likes Jay Cutler. And in third one, no one likes DeAngelo Hall. :mrgreen:
Yup, I was going to comment on the Hall GIF, which wasn't that bad, but that's why you don't leave your feet...

Sure rugby is tough, those get black eyes and get their faces all fuucked up - something you wouldn't see a pretty boy like tom brady signing up for. But on the subject of head injuries in the NFL (which I just wrote a 7 page essay about), check the dementia, memory loss, and Alzheimers in former NFL players and try to make an argument that those guys don't earn their paycheck and risk more than any other athlete in any sport... You wont win that debate.

It's not the 350+ guys you really got to worry about, most of the guys you have to worry about it the LBs and Safeties that are 200-260 lb that run ridiculous 40 times and are heat-seeking missiles:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siGuUmPvo-M[/youtube]

Everyone wants to compare toughness though, when I believe there are so many aspect when it comes to the physicality of the game, like fineness IE BARRY FUUCKIN SANDERS:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TflnHlQMt8[/youtube]
I'm sure that vid kills TMC, lol. But if you don't know, Sanders played behind a below average O-Line on one of the worst (if not the worst) teams in the NFL. That video didn't even show his runs that were for any where from -5 yards to +5 yards, which were his most impressive. I don't know enough about rugby, but I would love a link to something similar...

But it is impossible to compare any game to American football, IMO. Because the way that it is played, who it is played by and the systematic approach that these mountains of men take to the game is unique in sports. I'm not trashing other sports such as rugby or soccer (futbol) - I would never play rugby because at least in American football you have the false sense of security with the pads. And I played soccer for 2 years and hated the conditioning for the sport (I was always the biggest kid in my younger years).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:03 am
TMC wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Besides your home country (or that of your ancestry), is there a team you plan on rooting for in the world cup?

I always root for the dutch team, no matter what. I just love their concept of football (er... soccer, I meant :mrgreen: ), which is pretty similar to ours, based on talent and offensive football. They're a lot like Spain, tho. Lots of talented players that usually fall a bit short in the big stage...

This year... I might have to root for England as well. And maybe the USA and Australia... God, it's gonna be a mess. :mrgreen:

Why not your neighbour Portugal. They have always played a nice style of football

migya make the ring fall on ya
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board