The Football (Soccer, In The Colonies) Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:22 am
bigstrads wrote:
bada wrote:Can we change the name of this thread to The SOCCER thread?

Having this lame excuse of a sport have the same name as the sport of KINGS is just not right! :mrgreen:

*** flame away

Well, Football came first, before AMERICAN football..............so no. :wink:

Just because it came first does not make it better. Should we stick with 8-tracks because it came before CD's?
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:17 pm
Portugal, Portugal, Portugal! :mrgreen:

Nah, I kid. I'm rooting for Portugal, though. I like Argentina, too.... just cause of Lionel Messi who's my favorite on that squad.

Oh and gotta say it... F Brazil.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:29 pm
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

Having this lame excuse of a sport have the same name as the sport of KINGS is just not right! :mrgreen:

*** flame away

Just because it came first does not make it better. Should we stick with 8-tracks because it came before CD's?

Well my man, I didnt say it was better.............it just came, and was named, first.

So American Football came, and was named, second...........so thats my reason really. :wink:

The "8-track/CD" analogy...........that would mean I would be asking for CD's to be named 8-Tracks, because 8-Tracks came first. :wink:

xbay wrote:Portugal, Portugal, Portugal! :mrgreen:

Nah, I kid. I'm rooting for Portugal, though. I like Argentina, too.... just cause of Lionel Messi who's my favorite on that squad.

Atleast you spelt Messi's name right! :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:35 pm
bigstrads wrote:
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

*** flame away

Well my man, I didnt say it was better.............it just came, and was named, first.

So American Football came, and was named, second...........so thats my reason really. :wink:

The "8-track/CD" analogy...........that would mean I would be asking for CD's to be named 8-Tracks, because 8-Tracks came first. :wink:

true... bad analogy... more to the point then.... Soccer is stupid! lol
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:57 pm
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

*** flame away

LMAO!.............nice job clawing your way out of that one. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:00 pm
bigstrads wrote:
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:Portugal!

I've got this man crush for Christiano Renaldo. The guy is gooooood.

Would like nothing more than to see Portugal win the world cup once and for all.

Oh and England are the cheating team :wink:

Jesus, I wish England were a cheating team (in the sense of being the same as Portugal, France, Italy, Spain and others)...........because then we may have won something in the last 40 years.

Thats a football in joke, that England are the "Gentleman" of football, and couldnt possibly do that sort of thing. :wink:

Anywho, Im sure thats just you, as a Portugese Australian, and your hatred of us English..............or did you watch a documentary on it? :mrgreen:

Ps: Portugal has a VERY tough group.............Brazil and Ivory Coast...........I can see them not making it, or maybe finishing 2nd but not the best placed 2nd so still not making it. [-o<

Yea I did, it was called "Tea and Scones with thugs" :mrgreen:

Portugal always seems to choke at the world cup, but they seem to have some good young guys so they could do real well

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:06 pm
bigstrads wrote:
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

*** flame away

Bigs, is there any interest in american style footbal in the U.K.? I think I've seen two games where the 49ers went to London and the crowds seemed enthusiastic, but could have just been the editing.

For me soccer is great to play, not so fun to watch. I'd be interested in seeing overseas american style football. Team Samoa might be particularly fun to watch :)

btw I'd also be ok with a name change to american football if it caught on overseas. I mean, there isn't a whole lot of kicking going on. Soccer would be a better name for american football than for soccer really. Hitball, smashball, dunno but anything else really.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:32 pm
Chum wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

*** flame away

Bigs, is there any interest in american style footbal in the U.K.? I think I've seen two games where the 49ers went to London and the crowds seemed enthusiastic, but could have just been the editing.

For me soccer is great to play, not so fun to watch. I'd be interested in seeing overseas american style football. Team Samoa might be particularly fun to watch :)

btw I'd also be ok with a name change to american football if it caught on overseas. I mean, there isn't a whole lot of kicking going on. Soccer would be a better name for american football than for soccer really. Hitball, smashball, dunno but anything else really.

Yeah, well of all American sports...........the NFL is he most followed and liked in England. We have multiple games on per week, plus the games that are played over here now at the national stadium aswell...........that says alot, cuz if it wasnt big, it wouldnt be at Wembley.

Name change? lol, it isnt really a name change............cuz thats what most of the world, apart from America, calls it anyway. :wink:

I like your point about the relevance of kicking though..........considering the amount of kicking that actually goes on and the amount of people who actually do it aswell............in the grand scheme, not alot of kicking done by even less players.

There used to be a name like "Gridiron" thrown about for it I think...........or maybe that was for a variation, not sure.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:53 pm
bigstrads wrote:Name change? lol, it isnt really a name change............cuz thats what most of the world, apart from America, calls it anyway. :wink:

What do they call american football? Just american football?

btw Glad to hear there is some interest in it. Seems like the U.K. football crowd is pretty tough. I'd think they'd appreciate the brutality of american football. You could probably get a league going by signing up all the hooligans :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:07 pm
Chum wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Name change? lol, it isnt really a name change............cuz thats what most of the world, apart from America, calls it anyway. :wink:

btw Glad to hear there is some interest in it. Seems like the U.K. football crowd is pretty tough. I'd think they'd appreciate the brutality of american football. You could probably get a league going by signing up all the hooligans :mrgreen:

Everyone else across the globe refers to it as GRIDIRON (Cause the Field looks like a massive GRID)

& then in all the Rugby playing Country's it's commonly referred too.

(THE SISSY GAME WITH SHOULDER PADS AND HELMETS) 8)

Usually referred to as a Sissy Game cause if any average sport fan was to follow the highlights of AMERCIAN FOOTBALL They'd see the Passing Touchdowns & the TD Dances & the TV STATIONS would completely leave off the highlights of SACKS & FUMBLES on the 6pm News Bulletin.
(although it only makes the 6pm news, if it's a slow news day or a playoff type match)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:25 pm
Psh, even with pads on, I would love to see those guys take a hit from someone like Brian Dawkins or Ray Lewis or try to catch a pass from Brett Favre(he slings that baby HARD). Heck, I'd like to see them try and tackle a guy as big as Brandon Jacobs.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:33 pm
xbay wrote:Psh, even with pads on, I would love to see those guys take a hit from someone like Brian Dawkins or Ray Lewis or try to catch a pass from Brett Favre(he slings that baby HARD). Heck, I'd like to see them try and tackle a guy as big as Brandon Jacobs.

Which guys are you referring too xbay, Soccer players or Rugby Players!

There's no doubt that if America was too field a Rugby team made consistantly of NFL Players they would have a very good chance of winning it all...

But in saying that (choosing the roster may be difficult), @ Least with Rugby Players, if you were too field a team in the NFL consisting of just Rugby Players, well you'd save half your budget on the roster because Rugby n Soccer play both sides of the ball (OFFENSE & DEFENSE) ... I for one think people who play Rugby are better overall tacklers, cause they dont use there equipment as a weapon but rather learn the fundamentals of bringing your guy to the ground.

I appreciate everything above you mentioned that guys like Brian Dawkins, Ray Lewis, Brett Favre bring to the game, But it's like comparing PEAS to CORN basically!!!

Anyways apologies for Derailing the thread.... Lets get back on topic . of the WORLDS GAME!!!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:23 pm
PAWNO wrote:
xbay wrote:Psh, even with pads on, I would love to see those guys take a hit from someone like Brian Dawkins or Ray Lewis or try to catch a pass from Brett Favre(he slings that baby HARD). Heck, I'd like to see them try and tackle a guy as big as Brandon Jacobs.

There's no doubt that if America was too field a Rugby team made consistantly of NFL Players they would have a very good chance of winning it all...

But in saying that (choosing the roster may be difficult), @ Least with Rugby Players, if you were too field a team in the NFL consisting of just Rugby Players, well you'd save half your budget on the roster because Rugby n Soccer play both sides of the ball (OFFENSE & DEFENSE) ... I for one think people who play Rugby are better overall tacklers, cause they dont use there equipment as a weapon but rather learn the fundamentals of bringing your guy to the ground.

I appreciate everything above you mentioned that guys like Brian Dawkins, Ray Lewis, Brett Favre bring to the game, But it's like comparing PEAS to CORN basically!!!

Anyways apologies for Derailing the thread.... Lets get back on topic . of the WORLDS GAME!!!

I'm referring to anyone that calls American football a "sissy" game.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:15 am
Chum wrote:

Yep. Original, ain't it?

It may have followers in England, but, over here, I'm one of the weird guys that actually know how it's player and what it means... Nobody really cares, or even heard of, about AMERICAN fooball. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:25 am
xbay wrote:
PAWNO wrote:

I'm referring to anyone that calls American football a "sissy" game.

Yeah man, anyone who calls American footballers "sissys".............clearly has never watched the game and just assumes its all "safer" because of the padding.

But saying that, Pawno is right..............I mean, besides the fact that you have one team playing the whole game, and doing everything, rather than the switch............rugby players have to be alot more skilled at bringing down people who are (lets remember) running at the same kind of speeds, and still need to be tackled..........so they use alot more skill and tactics in bringing people down.

Plus, as far as I can see, with the all huge big guys who are on the defensive line, alot of them couldnt play rugby because they are just too big............I mean in rugby, pretty much everyone has to be able to move quite quick and run quite fast.

Not so much the variance of player types I suppose, like the crazy athletic and quick RB's and then your big fat huge..........dont know what to call them...........the big fat huge guys. :wink:

But yeah, there is no comparison between the games, both should be appreciated..........and I especially have a much greater respect and understanding for the game from my lessons from Bada (Ahh, good old TIVO and being able to pause and explain! :mrgreen:) and from going to the Seahawks game we did.

TMC wrote:
Chum wrote:

Yep. Original, ain't it?

It may have followers in England, but, over here, I'm one of the weird guys that actually know how it's player and what it means... Nobody really cares, or even heard of, about AMERICAN fooball. :mrgreen:

Actually, if you think about it.............calling it American football is quite respectful, in the sense that football is football.........and the most beloved game in England and most of the world............but referring to it as that is atleast not devaluing the desire to call it football I suppose.

Although, saying that, its never advertised as "Hey, come and watch American Football"............its always just called "The NFL"
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board