Warriors Host NBA's First Gay Night

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


All Star
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:01 am
PAWNO wrote:
fine wrote:Good for us.


Good for the Warriors, Or Good for People who are FINE with discussing there sexuality 8)


fine wrote: But I wonder what the crowd is going to be like that night. Are the increased gay attendees going to outnumber the no-show homophobes?


Actually i totally disagree with this being a actual issue, The Bay Area has the largest community of Gays and probably also the largest Community of Gay Sympathsizers!

I don't think there's as many BIGOTS n HOMOPHOBES in the Bay Area then you make it out like to be!


I'd agree. There are far, far fewer bigots and homophobes in the Bay Area than there are in other parts of the nation, and even in California. I lived in Orange County for three years and met more racist morons than I had in my first 28 years of life in Marin and Sonoma counties.

And Pawno, most guys talk about their sexuality all the frickin' time. You just like talking about girls so you don't take too much notice. :mrgreen:
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

Moderator
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:03 am
No Longer StuckInSoCal wrote:
PAWNO wrote:
fine wrote:Good for us.


Good for the Warriors, Or Good for People who are FINE with discussing there sexuality 8)


fine wrote: But I wonder what the crowd is going to be like that night. Are the increased gay attendees going to outnumber the no-show homophobes?


Actually i totally disagree with this being a actual issue, The Bay Area has the largest community of Gays and probably also the largest Community of Gay Sympathsizers!

I don't think there's as many BIGOTS n HOMOPHOBES in the Bay Area then you make it out like to be!


I'd agree. There are far, far fewer bigots and homophobes in the Bay Area than there are in other parts of the nation, and even in California. I lived in Orange County for three years and met more racist morons than I had in my first 28 years of life in Marin and Sonoma counties.

And Pawno, most guys talk about their sexuality all the frickin' time. You just like talking about girls so you don't take too much notice. :mrgreen:


well cities in general are much more tolerant/accepting of the gay community that in rural areas. Statistics for the Prop 8 election showed just how strong rural California played a part of knocking down the election.

However with that said (according to my recollection), to add on what Pawno was saying, out of the 50 something counties in California, only 2 of them had prop 8 failed in their county results, one of them being san francisco county.

Ill try to bring more concrete data this afternoon if anyone wants it. because my comments are coming from my memory which could be spotty (or im thinking of another proposition)
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:07 am
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:21 am
We really need to trade for Rudy Gay now. Think of the marketing. Rudy Gay jerseys in rainbow tie-die!
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 680
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:29 am
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:38 am
lol

wooowww, GSW are getting desperate.

and someone isn't a bigot because they don't particularly agree with each and every sexual behavior or sexual relationship known to man. is someone a bigot if they don't think polygamy should be made into law or because they don't agree with that lifestyle?








FAAABULissssss shot Curry! :mrgreen:
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:55 am
rockyBeli wrote:lol

wooowww, GSW are getting desperate.

and someone isn't a bigot because they don't particularly agree with each and every sexual behavior or sexual relationship known to man. is someone a bigot if they don't think polygamy should be made into law or because they don't agree with that lifestyle?


FAAABULissssss shot Curry! :mrgreen:


well this starts getting more off-topic and probably not the right forum to discuss this further but I think that is an apples and oranges comparison as I dont believe being gay is a "lifestyle CHOICE" but rather a biological predisposition. There really is nothing to agree with or disagree with much like you can't "disagree" with someone being black, brown or yellow or whatever.

All Star
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:43 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:17 pm
bada wrote:
rockyBeli wrote:lol

wooowww, GSW are getting desperate.

and someone isn't a bigot because they don't particularly agree with each and every sexual behavior or sexual relationship known to man. is someone a bigot if they don't think polygamy should be made into law or because they don't agree with that lifestyle?


FAAABULissssss shot Curry! :mrgreen:


well this starts getting more off-topic and probably not the right forum to discuss this further but I think that is an apples and oranges comparison as I dont believe being gay is a "lifestyle CHOICE" but rather a biological predisposition. There really is nothing to agree with or disagree with much like you can't "disagree" with someone being black, brown or yellow or whatever.


This thread begged for off-topic from the very beginning. I mean, how often does anyone post the special events held by the Warriors? They do special nights frequently, as you all know I'm sure.

There's a big difference between not being gay and being prejudice against someone for that lifestyle. And this is true of everything, whether it's someone's opinions on Jews, or inter-racial marriage, or whatever. Bigotry, prejudice and racism take many different forms.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

Moderator
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:42 pm
No Longer StuckInSoCal wrote:
bada wrote:
rockyBeli wrote:lol

wooowww, GSW are getting desperate.

and someone isn't a bigot because they don't particularly agree with each and every sexual behavior or sexual relationship known to man. is someone a bigot if they don't think polygamy should be made into law or because they don't agree with that lifestyle?


FAAABULissssss shot Curry! :mrgreen:


well this starts getting more off-topic and probably not the right forum to discuss this further but I think that is an apples and oranges comparison as I dont believe being gay is a "lifestyle CHOICE" but rather a biological predisposition. There really is nothing to agree with or disagree with much like you can't "disagree" with someone being black, brown or yellow or whatever.


This thread begged for off-topic from the very beginning. I mean, how often does anyone post the special events held by the Warriors? They do special nights frequently, as you all know I'm sure.

There's a big difference between not being gay and being prejudice against someone for that lifestyle. And this is true of everything, whether it's someone's opinions on Jews, or inter-racial marriage, or whatever. Bigotry, prejudice and racism take many different forms.


nicely stated NLSISC (as usual). completely agree!

All Star
Posts: 1218
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:56 am
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:44 pm
It would be funny if they all chanted "We want Ellison, we want Ellison". Of course, it would wonderful to hear that from every group that is honored.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 680
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:29 am
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:16 pm
No Longer StuckInSoCal wrote:
bada wrote:
rockyBeli wrote:lol

wooowww, GSW are getting desperate.

and someone isn't a bigot because they don't particularly agree with each and every sexual behavior or sexual relationship known to man. is someone a bigot if they don't think polygamy should be made into law or because they don't agree with that lifestyle?


FAAABULissssss shot Curry! :mrgreen:


well this starts getting more off-topic and probably not the right forum to discuss this further but I think that is an apples and oranges comparison as I dont believe being gay is a "lifestyle CHOICE" but rather a biological predisposition. There really is nothing to agree with or disagree with much like you can't "disagree" with someone being black, brown or yellow or whatever.


This thread begged for off-topic from the very beginning. I mean, how often does anyone post the special events held by the Warriors? They do special nights frequently, as you all know I'm sure.

There's a big difference between not being gay and being prejudice against someone for that lifestyle. And this is true of everything, whether it's someone's opinions on Jews, or inter-racial marriage, or whatever. Bigotry, prejudice and racism take many different forms.



so what would you say to the people who also feel that they were 'born a certain way'. be it a transexual, or some people in Sweden who like to marry their siblings legally, or some Utah Jazz fan who might want to bring a variety of wives to the game, or some guy in the farms who finds his sheep attractive. what do we say to those people if they truly believe that's how they are. and should we create laws promoting those lifestyles, should we give literature to kids in school saying it's all good and normal.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:24 pm
And just like that... it's moved to the off-topic...

You guys should know why, I don't need to explain myself.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:35 pm
rockyBeli wrote:
No Longer StuckInSoCal wrote:
bada wrote:
rockyBeli wrote:lol

wooowww, GSW are getting desperate.

and someone isn't a bigot because they don't particularly agree with each and every sexual behavior or sexual relationship known to man. is someone a bigot if they don't think polygamy should be made into law or because they don't agree with that lifestyle?


FAAABULissssss shot Curry! :mrgreen:


well this starts getting more off-topic and probably not the right forum to discuss this further but I think that is an apples and oranges comparison as I dont believe being gay is a "lifestyle CHOICE" but rather a biological predisposition. There really is nothing to agree with or disagree with much like you can't "disagree" with someone being black, brown or yellow or whatever.


This thread begged for off-topic from the very beginning. I mean, how often does anyone post the special events held by the Warriors? They do special nights frequently, as you all know I'm sure.

There's a big difference between not being gay and being prejudice against someone for that lifestyle. And this is true of everything, whether it's someone's opinions on Jews, or inter-racial marriage, or whatever. Bigotry, prejudice and racism take many different forms.



so what would you say to the people who also feel that they were 'born a certain way'. be it a transexual, or some people in Sweden who like to marry their siblings legally, or some Utah Jazz fan who might want to bring a variety of wives to the game, or some guy in the farms who finds his sheep attractive. what do we say to those people if they truly believe that's how they are. and should we create laws promoting those lifestyles, should we give literature to kids in school saying it's all good and normal.


Well I dont think you can classify all those together.. they are each different situations that I will address.

I personally have, and I think we ALL should have a lot more tollerance and compasion for what is considered different. Why do we feel the need to judge and critisize other people so much? Provided what they are doing does not harm anyone, then I accept your "differnces".

"be it a transexual" - i have no problem with transexuals in any way. I feel terrible for people who's genetics have been crossed at birth like that and have to live internally confused. Whatever makes them happier is none of my or anyone else's business.

"or some people in Sweden who like to marry their siblings legally" - I dont know about Sweden laws so cant really comment. But if marrying your sibling is legal there AND the relationship is consentual, then while I find it utterly gross, then so be it. PROVIDED it would not be legal to procreate as then there is a big chance their could be some harm as the likelyhood of that union creating a child with various health and disabilities is incredibly higher.

"Utah Jazz fan who might want to bring a variety of wives to the game" - Well there are social issues here such as the benefits that are entitled to spouses in this county that are really outside of the idea behind your question, however in general I dont really care if you have multiple wives again provided it is consentual. Polygomy exists in many cultures in many different eras. Why do I care what works for another person. But I know for me personally, ONE wife is PLENTY for me. I cant imagine trying to keep several of them happy! :mrgreen:

"or some guy in the farms who finds his sheep attractive" No this I have a huge problem with. Well not so much that he finds the sheep attractive but if he were to act on it, then yes, I have a big problem. This "relationship" would not be consenual. The animal has no ability to be a willing participant.

I dont get the whole school thing... it was a bs argument also during Prop 8. SO because we are accepting of gays, that means there will be a mad rush to print and hand out "How to be gay" pamplets in schools??????

All Star
Posts: 2320
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:40 pm
Location: lithuania, gargzdai
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:47 pm
while i agree with bada on moral sentiment on these matters, logic of his behind them is pretty wrong.
first why would anyone feel terrible about people being transexual? is there some standart of sexuality to being happy? well, no. hence, no need to feel sorry for people being as different as they are from statistical crowd.
why would one be against men ****ing their animals like goats on behalf of animal choice, while there's no problem eating them? did your goat, pig, cow voluntary decided to become your food and mean for your well-being? no. so, again, argument does not work.
so, there are many problems at decisions like that, but they should never be based on what is normal/natural. since normal'natural is only an abstraction from certain sample. if you never knew, there are ducks who have sex with dead ducks of the same sex. so, nature, as raw thing, is way beyond what human conceive as normal. hence argument at normality and thus supposed happiness has no other ground than ''prejudice of the tribe'', as bacon called them.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:52 pm
Well, as this has evolved into an entirely off-topic thread, I'll try to post my point of view as well. It'll deal with the gay side of the story, but can also be applied to any other situation in which we deal with "different" people. Ok, on to the gay side of things...

I don't have a problem with gay people as a whole. I don't know where it comes from. I don't know if it's an acquired taste, education, genetics... I've never researched its origin and, quite frankly, I don't care. As long as they're happy with that kind of sexual orientation, it's none of my business. Life is to be lived the best way we can, and I don't have a problem with people that just try to be happy.

I do have a problem with those that try to impose their "gayness" (cue in an out of place Pawno joke), tho... I've met some gays in my life (not many, just a few), and got along well with some of them, those that didn't make a big deal out of their orientation, that just tried to be happy and enjoy life, but whose orientation played no other role.

Others (actually, most of those that I've met, but, as I said, it's not a sample big enough to reach any conclusion) just seem to have to remind you AT ALL TIMES that they're gay, and how gay they are and that they'll be gay forever... I can't stand that kind of people. And it's not related at all to them being gay, it's about them telling constantly how different they are. It's about playing the victim role, because they're the ones that go against the rules imposed by society.



Oh, well... I don't even know what I wanted to say when I started writing this post... time to go to bed, as tomorrow will be a looooong day. Good night, gentlemen. :wink:
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:01 pm
martin wrote:first why would anyone feel terrible about people being transexual? is there some standart of sexuality to being happy? well, no. hence, no need to feel sorry for people being as different as they are from statistical crowd.
Why??? Because most of them are terribly unhappy people. I did not mean I feel terrible because they are a transexual but feel terrible because most of them are so unhappy. The suicide rate is something like 30% and like 50% of all transexuals have at least attempted suicide. So yes, I feel bad for that segment because it is a tough life.


Martin wrote:why would one be against men ****ing their animals like goats on behalf of animal choice, while there's no problem eating them? did your goat, pig, cow voluntary decided to become your food and mean for your well-being? no. so, again, argument does not work.


I understand your point but you are nit picking semantics here martin. It is an old and tired argument regarding animal rights and eating and using them for clothing. And while TEHNICALLY speaking there is not much difference from a "choice" on the animals side, living things NEED to eat to survive and natural selection has put us on top of the food chain. Yes, sucks for the pig and goats out there, but that is the way it is. There is no NECESSITY to f*ck a goat.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:05 pm
TMC wrote:Well, as this has evolved into an entirely off-topic thread, I'll try to post my point of view as well. It'll deal with the gay side of the story, but can also be applied to any other situation in which we deal with "different" people. Ok, on to the gay side of things...

I don't have a problem with gay people as a whole. I don't know where it comes from. I don't know if it's an acquired taste, education, genetics... I've never researched its origin and, quite frankly, I don't care. As long as they're happy with that kind of sexual orientation, it's none of my business. Life is to be lived the best way we can, and I don't have a problem with people that just try to be happy.

I do have a problem with those that try to impose their "gayness" (cue in an out of place Pawno joke), tho... I've met some gays in my life (not many, just a few), and got along well with some of them, those that didn't make a big deal out of their orientation, that just tried to be happy and enjoy life, but whose orientation played no other role.

Others (actually, most of those that I've met, but, as I said, it's not a sample big enough to reach any conclusion) just seem to have to remind you AT ALL TIMES that they're gay, and how gay they are and that they'll be gay forever... I can't stand that kind of people. And it's not related at all to them being gay, it's about them telling constantly how different they are. It's about playing the victim role, because they're the ones that go against the rules imposed by society.



Oh, well... I don't even know what I wanted to say when I started writing this post... time to go to bed, as tomorrow will be a looooong day. Good night, gentlemen. :wink:


yeah, as you said, that has nothing to do with being "gay" it is just that person being annoying.

No different that people who try to force religion on you, or being a vegetarian, or forcing conspiracy theories on you ( :mrgreen: ). That has nothing to do with the issue of being gay.
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests