Dunk Contest

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:45 am
So I have not watched the dunk contest in many, many years. THink the last one was J-Rich's first win.

Anyway, I watched last night and OMFG, I think a girl's HS dunk contest would be better than that.

So I am asking you guys... have they been that bad for a while or was that EXCEPTIONALLY bad?

I actually remember the day when the best players were not above participating... tis a shame
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:37 am
The only thing I watched this All Star weekend was the 3-point competition. It's the only thing I've watched for about 4 years. The dunk competition had been so silly for so many years I just quit on it. Same thing with the All Star game. It's not a real game and not entertaining to me.

I'd like to see the dunk competition be more like a track meet. Have them see how far away from the basket they can jump and dunk, like the long jump. Have another aspect be how high they can dunk it. Keep raising the hoop until only one person is able to dunk it. All the theatrics are crap imo.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:15 pm
bada wrote:So I have not watched the dunk contest in many, many years. THink the last one was J-Rich's first win.

Anyway, I watched last night and OMFG, I think a girl's HS dunk contest would be better than that.

So I am asking you guys... have they been that bad for a while or was that EXCEPTIONALLY bad?

I actually remember the day when the best players were not above participating... tis a shame

Last year was too silly. I appreciate Howard's creativity, but the dunks were even all that. It's the stuff he added that made people go... OMG. The dunk where he put a Superman cape on and jumped from the free throw line... yet, he didn't dunk it, he just threw it down into the basket. Another one was when he put a cupcake with a candle on the rim and blew out the candle. It's a nice way of showing how high you can jump, but how he dunked it was too original. Nate Robinson... ugh, don't get me started. I will admit, though... Rudy Fernandez was robbed. I honestly think that guy can dunk and make it exciting.

The last best one was in 2005, the year after JRich when it was Josh Smith, JR Smith, Amare, and Birdman. Everything fell off after that, at least IMO. It turned into a circus or cheering contest for Nate Robinson just because he's 5'10''.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:13 pm
In 1988, Jordan jumped from the free throw line:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x23/boleyn84/jordan.jpg

In 2010, DeRozan chose this as the dunk to impress the voters:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x23/boleyn84/derozan.jpg

Pathetic...
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:30 pm
Yeah, errm, I watched the highlights (downloading the whole Saturday night at the moment) and thought I was watching the warm-ups!!!

I seriously couldnt believe it! I mean the "highlights" I was watching were supposed to be the..........well, the HIGHLIGHTS.

They just looked boring and un-original as hell.

I liked the first one that Howard entered, but other than that.............its been really boring and clueless for some time, since J-Rich really.

I suppose there just arent that many dunks and contortions that humans can do after the exploring the options for the last 30 years.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:56 pm
The All-Star game, what the hell was Usher wearing, leather caprice, and that that top, man did he forget the audience he is reaching are men, sorry that was suspect of him.

Return to NBA Forum