Curry is SOOOOO GOOOOOD

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:43 pm
bada wrote:
David Wood wrote:Honestly at this point I wouldn't at all mind drafting Evan Turner to pair up with Steph.

While I think Turner is a FANTASTIC player, I am not sure he is the best fit with Curry. Turner is someone that is at his best when he has the ball in his hands and is initiating the offense. Not working off the ball. From the times I have seen Ohio St play, this is where he thrives. Almost a point forward type.

As we have seen, Curry is best when he has the ball and initiates. This is why I think Wesley Johnson is the best fit in terms of swing men. I think Turner is the more dynamic player, but Johnson the better fit.

EXACTLY!!! Plus Wesley Johnson is a better defender than.. almost anyone else in college at the 2 guard spot. Steph to Wesley for the allyoop, Steph to Wesley for the 3!!! Oh yeah Wesley is an awsome 3 point shooter. This combo gives the Warriors the best young backcourt in the league hands down.

I really like Monta but he just can't pair up with Curry as well as W. Johnson does, and Monta ain't gonna grow another 5 inches and suddenly develop a ridiculous, albatross like, wingspan.

Curry/Johnson ftw!

Now, IF AR comes back healthy, and we can get him to play the 3, and IF we can package Monta for Al Jeffersen (not giving up hope on this) then our starting 5 and our bench 5 is looking tall, beefy and mean...

Starters
PG - Stephen Curry 6'3" (and growing)
SG - W. Johnson 6'7" (wings like an albatross)
SF - Randolph 6'11" (long, and athletic, 7' now?)
PF - Al Jefferson 6'10" (brick shithouse, brings the beef!)
C - Biedrins 7'0" (long, will get better, really)

Bench (would be an awsome bench imho)
PG - CJ
SG - Morrow
SF - Mags
PF - Tolliver
C - Turiaf
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:55 pm
Damn I just looked up that Wesley Johnson kid. That dude can ball!

If we can trade Monta for a good 4 then i would be all for drafting this kid. Monta is slowly becoming more and more replaceable slowly. I still love his game but I am convinced that the Dubs will never be a legit contender with him at the helm, and I dont think he would take a back seat to Curry or Randolph.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:46 pm
I really like Johnson, but i still think picking him at say, #2 is a bit of a reach
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:12 pm
Quazza wrote:
migya wrote:
The Coooach wrote:Curry's quick release reminds me of Chris Jackson. Remember him? The kid that changed his name to Abdul Rauof. Out of LSU. He had a very good NBA career until he refuse to put his hand over his heart for the pledge of allegiance. This guy was a dynamic scorer too in college. he was the star right before Shaq. I think they played a year or two together. I could be wrong there.

I remember Chris Jackson/Mahmoud Abdul Rauf. He was awesome, just a great shooter unlike many I've seen, but he should have had a better career than he had. Had like 50 something points in a game in his one and only season in college. Left just before Shaq arrived there, but had he had stayed, what a duo

always think back to NBA Jam Session

"Jackson, 1 second, FOR THE GAME........ YEAH!!"

You mean that show here in Aust called nba action? I remember that when I was in year 9 at school I think it was, maybe year 10. Think it was Denver against the Clips near the end of the 92-93 season, real amazing shot from beyond half court to win that game for them

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:16 pm
bada wrote:Again, no way NO trades Paul for Monta and Morrow. Why would they trade an elite PG for two SG's?

Well for starters Morrow is unsigned after this season, so he'll have to have an extension, one that is quite cheap as well, like 3-3,5 million a year, for NO to want him. Thing is, Monta is a great player this season, at least looks like it and he has gotten a fair amount of assists as well as points, so maybe they can see him as a PG/SG.

I'd give Curry and Maggette, as that would make salaries work. As I said a couple of weeks ago or so, I'd even give Curry and Monta, as extreme as that seems now. I don't think it would take that much for NO to trade Paul, but I'd do it, just because it starts with a superstar that wants to win and really can be a big part of a team being a winner and Paul is that. I still think you could use Maggette and some other player to get a star big like AJefferson, maybe use AB and someone, but it would be harder if you give Monta and Curry in the same trade

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:19 pm
carlgo wrote:I'll keep saying it: no trades until the new owner/coach takes over. Nothing good can happen without that restriction.

That's and really that is the reality, things will keep going sour with the same group controlling this franchise

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:20 pm
Chum wrote:
bada wrote:
David Wood wrote:Honestly at this point I wouldn't at all mind drafting Evan Turner to pair up with Steph.

While I think Turner is a FANTASTIC player, I am not sure he is the best fit with Curry. Turner is someone that is at his best when he has the ball in his hands and is initiating the offense. Not working off the ball. From the times I have seen Ohio St play, this is where he thrives. Almost a point forward type.

As we have seen, Curry is best when he has the ball and initiates. This is why I think Wesley Johnson is the best fit in terms of swing men. I think Turner is the more dynamic player, but Johnson the better fit.

EXACTLY!!! Plus Wesley Johnson is a better defender than.. almost anyone else in college at the 2 guard spot. Steph to Wesley for the allyoop, Steph to Wesley for the 3!!! Oh yeah Wesley is an awsome 3 point shooter. This combo gives the Warriors the best young backcourt in the league hands down.

I really like Monta but he just can't pair up with Curry as well as W. Johnson does, and Monta ain't gonna grow another 5 inches and suddenly develop a ridiculous, albatross like, wingspan.

Curry/Johnson ftw!

Now, IF AR comes back healthy, and we can get him to play the 3, and IF we can package Monta for Al Jeffersen (not giving up hope on this) then our starting 5 and our bench 5 is looking tall, beefy and mean...

Starters

PG - CJ
SG - Morrow
SF - Mags
PF - Tolliver
C - Turiaf

That's another very good looking option for changes in the roster. WJohnson woud be a rookie starting and that is never something that leads to instant success, but the rest of that lineup looks like it could make the team at least a top 6 one, injuries and any other negative thing happening aside

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:45 pm
migya wrote:
Chum wrote:
bada wrote:

Curry/Johnson ftw!

Starters

PG - CJ
SG - Morrow
SF - Mags
PF - Tolliver
C - Turiaf

That's another very good looking option for changes in the roster. WJohnson woud be a rookie starting and that is never something that leads to instant success, but the rest of that lineup looks like it could make the team at least a top 6 one, injuries and any other negative thing happening aside

The great thing about W. Johnson is that he doesn't have to be a scorer right away to help the Warriors. He's an amazing defender. Excellent rebounder and shot blocker. His offense is pretty much all setups, 3 pointers and long jump shots. If he's open kick it to him, if he's down low one on one he'll dunk it on his defender. He doesn't need a lot of touches to get his points.

The Warriors have too many shooters and not enough defenders. I personally don't care how many points Biedrins and Turiaf get. I want them to rebound, block shots and defend the paint. Let them get put backs and points set up on fixed plays.

I want to keep AR but I'd trade him for a true scoring big. I personally think AR would be better suited as a SF whose primary role is to shut down the opposing SF. AR has the height, length and athleticism to excel here. I'm not convinced he's a go to scorer in the low post. He's too weedy and I don't see him ever becoming a beefy PF.

We need a post scorer, thus my wanting to trade for Al Jeffersen, and we need one scorer at ONE of the PG, SG, SF positions. The other two at those positions should be primarily defenders. Curry and Monta are both capable of being our primary scorer, as it is one needs to take a back seat. Again, trading Monta for a scoring big is the way to go.

If we have to overpay for Al Jeffersen, or some other capable big, then I say we do it. Just don't trade Curry, he already fills the role needed.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:35 pm
migya wrote:
Quazza wrote:
migya wrote:
The Coooach wrote:Curry's quick release reminds me of Chris Jackson. Remember him? The kid that changed his name to Abdul Rauof. Out of LSU. He had a very good NBA career until he refuse to put his hand over his heart for the pledge of allegiance. This guy was a dynamic scorer too in college. he was the star right before Shaq. I think they played a year or two together. I could be wrong there.

I remember Chris Jackson/Mahmoud Abdul Rauf. He was awesome, just a great shooter unlike many I've seen, but he should have had a better career than he had. Had like 50 something points in a game in his one and only season in college. Left just before Shaq arrived there, but had he had stayed, what a duo

always think back to NBA Jam Session

"Jackson, 1 second, FOR THE GAME........ YEAH!!"

You mean that show here in Aust called nba action? I remember that when I was in year 9 at school I think it was, maybe year 10. Think it was Denver against the Clips near the end of the 92-93 season, real amazing shot from beyond half court to win that game for them

nah, i mean NBA jam Session. Was a video(vhs)
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:44 pm
I remember he also had Tourettes and would make these load sounds and weird movements. He was an AMAZING scorer

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nquee7IrSm8[/youtube]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:18 pm
bada wrote:I remember he also had Tourettes and would make these load sounds and weird movements. He was an AMAZING scorer

Yea, you could see him have those jerky head movements, but the guy would still be accurate with his movements in basketball. He was a great scorer, but he never scored like I thought he would've in the nba

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:21 pm
migya wrote:
bada wrote:I remember he also had Tourettes and would make these load sounds and weird movements. He was an AMAZING scorer

Yea, you could see him have those jerky head movements, but the guy would still be accurate with his movements in basketball. He was a great scorer, but he never scored like I thought he would've in the nba

I remember that several players, long ago, were asked what other player they would want to play like. David Robinson chose Abdul-Rauf :)

I really liked watching Abdul-Rauf play, he was an awesome scorer.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:28 pm
Chum wrote:
migya wrote:
Chum wrote:
bada wrote:

Curry/Johnson ftw!

Starters

PG - CJ
SG - Morrow
SF - Mags
PF - Tolliver
C - Turiaf

The great thing about W. Johnson is that he doesn't have to be a scorer right away to help the Warriors. He's an amazing defender. Excellent rebounder and shot blocker. His offense is pretty much all setups, 3 pointers and long jump shots. If he's open kick it to him, if he's down low one on one he'll dunk it on his defender. He doesn't need a lot of touches to get his points.

The Warriors have too many shooters and not enough defenders. I personally don't care how many points Biedrins and Turiaf get. I want them to rebound, block shots and defend the paint. Let them get put backs and points set up on fixed plays.

I want to keep AR but I'd trade him for a true scoring big. I personally think AR would be better suited as a SF whose primary role is to shut down the opposing SF. AR has the height, length and athleticism to excel here. I'm not convinced he's a go to scorer in the low post. He's too weedy and I don't see him ever becoming a beefy PF.

We need a post scorer, thus my wanting to trade for Al Jeffersen, and we need one scorer at ONE of the PG, SG, SF positions. The other two at those positions should be primarily defenders. Curry and Monta are both capable of being our primary scorer, as it is one needs to take a back seat. Again, trading Monta for a scoring big is the way to go.

If we have to overpay for Al Jeffersen, or some other capable big, then I say we do it. Just don't trade Curry, he already fills the role needed.

It all depends on the type of system the team plays. As far as I see it, almost everyone on a team needs to be a capable scorer, not a great one, but capable of scoring a bit when or if needed. I don't see that with AB or Turiaf for example, so those two can never be required to do much scoring. You really should have four scorers on the court, that's to be a championship caliber team, a real contender. You need to have very good team defense, individual defense is real good, but ultimately it is how you work as a team. Each player needs to be a good defender, good to have two guys that can be great defenders. AR might be like that, AJefferson as well.

One thing that the best teams almost always have, and look this up, is great rebounding. The team definately needs one more very good big, be it AJefferson or whoever. AJeff and AR at the Center and PF spot, should give very good rebounding, but that isn't enough, the other three guys have to help out with that as well. You look at guards like Paul and Rondo, who I'd have in place of Paul if we couldn't get Paul (but Boston is a contender and so won't change anything unless it's an obvious improvement), and they rebound very well for their size and position. One guard that is a good rebounder, nothing special but good, and you should be set with rebounding, added to the two very good rebounding bigs ofcourse.

A playmaker that preferrably can score quite well (maybe Curry is that, but Paul definately is), one great scoring big that can defend very well, at least three very good scorers in the starting five and very good team defense is what a team has to have to be a real championship caliber one. Look at the team as it is right now and see how many of those criteria they have covered

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:20 pm
I appreciate some of you guys draft insights as I don't have much time to watch College games and rely on clips and checking out written reports.From what I can decipher:

!) If we get John Wall, I would probably be in favor of keeping him as he is the most touted prospect since Le Bron. That would facilitate a trade of Curry, as much as I hate that idea. In that case it would be great if Curry continues his improvement as he will be a more tradable commodity. The problem is in my mind, what if he continues to improve TOO much? While I've been a big defender of Curry on this board, I've expected this improvement , but is this the improvement of a PG? True he seems to have all the prerequisite skills of court vision , good passing when he decides to pass 2 handed and being one step ahead of competitors with clever deceptive abilities. I almost certain he will blossom into a PG. But it's not absolutely certain yet how good a PG he'll be IMO. Could he actually be better than Wall?

2) If we draft Evan Turner, it might end up being just as good as Wall. I say then we trade Monta for a good front court player.

3) If we draft Cousins, then Riley will have a good excuse to get rid of Randolph, which they really seem intent on doing anyway. But what if they didn't trade Randolph? Imagine those 2 head cases dueling it out at the #4 position? I think at some point the Coach would have to make them put on the gloves. AR's got the reach but is way out of Cousin's weight class. Whew!
AR's insecure, but Cousins looks and acts downright mean. He might end up giving Nelly a heart attack! ( But hopefully Nelly will be spared because he won't be here. ) I can see that many would see Cousins a good counterbalance to Biedrins who has, after all been compared to a boy scout on this board. Kind of a good cop, bad cop kind of thing.

4)If we draft Wesley Johnson, I would say trade Monta for a front court player. You have to keep in mind that our 2 biggest weaknesses summed up in 2 words are rebounding and defense. I am enthused to hear that W.Johnson is an excellent defender, because if we traded to get A. Jefferson,we would get a good rebounder but I can assure you he is shitty defender! I'd much sooner trade Biedrins and even Morrow, for Kevin Love and an expirer like Brian Cardinal or Mark Blount, as I think Love is a future NBA all star center. He's young and old school and would fit in with AR or Cousins. Minnesota has said that any player is potentially on the table but I do think they are much more interested in dealing Jefferson.
War Years
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:52 pm
Still lots of college hoops left but here is my take on the players you mentioned.

Wall - Obviously a GREAT player. Probably a more athletic Derick Rose. I am not completely convinced he is a once a decade type but certainly has the raw talent to be that. If forced to choose between him and Curry to build around, it would be Wall. But when you factor in the fact that what Wall could bring the motherlode back in a trade, I think perhaps what is gained in return makes up for the gap between the players. After all, we need more than just one guy.

Turner - Big fan of his as a player. Not a big fan for THIS team. Like I said in a previous post, while he is decent off the ball, he SHINES with the ball and initiating offense as a point-forward type. We have seen that Curry and the team is at its best when Curry is initiating.

Cousins - I like the kid alot. SIZE SIZE SIZE!!! Here is the beef right here. I like his offensive game a lot considering how young he is. Seems a bit lazy on the defensive side and does not dominate on that side of the ball like you would expect with his size and strentgh advantage. Would prefer to move Monta for an established post presence but that probably wont be able to happen, so would be a good pick (with the exception being Nellie would probably hate him).

Johnson - My favorite pick of the bunch assuming we can acquire a post player somewhere else. Yes, I think he will be a very good defender capable of defending multiple positions. Team man to man concepts are tough to read being 'Cuse almost exclusively plays Zone. Explosive athlete and has a really smooth stroke and has great size for his position. Prototype of what a SF in the NBA should look like. NBA ready body... mostly because he is already 22, but I like that... we have enough young projects. What I love about him is that he is SO unselfish and plays a great team concept. He NEVER forces anything... he looks to quickly attack... if he does not have the advantage, he will quickly get rid of the ball. You will never see him styfiling the offense by holding on to the ball. As you can tell, I really like this kid... oh, and a VERY good rebounder. Can see him putting up rebounding numbers like S. Marion did in his prime.

Return to Warriors Basketball