BYRON SCOTT FIRED!!!!!!!

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:41 pm
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4648162

They fire a recent coach of the year 9 games into the season!?!? And yet the Ws are still hanging on to the ghost of Don Nelson!?!?!?! I dont know if Scott is the best coach out there for the Ws but he would definitely be an upgrade from old man Nelson.
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:48 pm
i agree that scott is an upgrade over nelson... but scott will never come to the warriors franchise... 1. because of cohan 2. he bleeds gold and purple
Last edited by KC on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:52 pm
KC wrote:i agree that scott is an upgrade over nelson... but scott will never come to the warriors franchise... 1. because of cohan 2. he bleeds gold and purple

Thats true, I was thinking about how they were saying before that when Phil Jackson retires that Scott would be his heir apparent. I wonder if he would take a job as an assistant for the time being under Jackson and later take over when he retires.
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:53 pm
metalface wrote:
KC wrote:i agree that scott is an upgrade over nelson... but scott will never come to the warriors franchise... 1. because of cohan 2. he bleeds gold and purple

Thats true, I was thinking about how they were saying before that when Phil Jackson retires that Scott would be his heir apparent. I wonder if he would take a job as an assistant for the time being under Jackson and later take over when he retires.

i could see that happening
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:33 pm
KC wrote:
metalface wrote:

i could see that happening

Probably would happen. Especially with Rambis gone, the job is up in the air... despite the news that Brian Shaw looks like he could be in the running for head coach once Phil retires.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:40 pm
Glad he was fired, as I never liked him and thought he was highly overrated.

Shows you though dont it, 49-33 last year and a first round playoff exit was a failure..............then a 3-6 start this year and hes gone.

How does Nelson get away with it? :roll: :banghead:
Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:12 pm
This actually cracks me up. I think the only thing what was wrong with the Hornets is that they dont have enough talent around Paul so they put the blame on Byron Scott.

Remember how he was fired in NJ after a poor start after he coach a similar team of Kidd, Martin, RJ to an 2 nba finals. This team never rebounded back.

I feel a similar fate with the hornets.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:25 am
bigstrads wrote:How does Nelson get away with it? :roll: :banghead:

That's what I was wondering as well...

I've got mixed feelings about Scott. I think he does a few things well enough to remain in the NBA, but I don't see him adapting to his roster or at different game situations. So, in a way, yeah, I think he's a bit overrated... but firing him after only 9 games is a bit crazy.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:07 am
metalface wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4648162

They fire a recent coach of the year 9 games into the season!?!? And yet the Ws are still hanging on to the ghost of Don Nelson!?!?!?! I dont know if Scott is the best coach out there for the Ws but he would definitely be an upgrade from old man Nelson.

Your are obesessed with nelson getting fired to a point it is eating you alive and the funny part is he is not gonna get fired. This is supposed to be about scitt getting fired and you turn your own thread into a nelson bashing contest.

I for 1 am happy to see scott canned with his drop dead boring offense. HIs slow down to a halt walk it up slow motion style is the downfall of the nba. The nation is already in a depression if you think fans want to come see this kind if ball and be even more depressed you have to be kidding.

I would like to see every coach in the nba running this god awful slow down ball fired or replaced. defense is 50 percent of the game but there is no place in the nba for teams playing 70 point ball. If these clown coaches had it their way they would have the game 30-32 just to win. Its disrespectful to the game and the fans to slow the game down to a halt.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:21 pm
oliver mcall wrote:
metalface wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4648162

Your are obesessed with nelson getting fired to a point it is eating you alive and the funny part is he is not gonna get fired. This is supposed to be about scitt getting fired and you turn your own thread into a nelson bashing contest.

I for 1 am happy to see scott canned with his drop dead boring offense. HIs slow down to a halt walk it up slow motion style is the downfall of the nba. The nation is already in a depression if you think fans want to come see this kind if ball and be even more depressed you have to be kidding.

I would like to see every coach in the nba running this god awful slow down ball fired or replaced. defense is 50 percent of the game but there is no place in the nba for teams playing 70 point ball. If these clown coaches had it their way they would have the game 30-32 just to win. Its disrespectful to the game and the fans to slow the game down to a halt.

I hope this happens to you in real life:

All Star
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:54 am
Does Larry Riley even have the authority to fire Nelson?

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_14 ... ck_check=1

Peterson: Nelson is part of Golden State Warriors' problem, not solution

By Gary Peterson
Bay Area News Group
Posted: 02/09/2010 09:01:47 PM PST
Updated: 02/09/2010 10:22:22 PM PST

When he was introduced as the Warriors' new general manager last summer, Larry Riley was asked if he had the authority to fire the head coach. It was an impish question, given the presumption that the only authority Riley enjoys is that which Don Nelson has no interest in reserving for himself.
To his credit, Riley played it as straight as he knew how. "I haven't thought that far ahead," he said.
Too bad. Because if Riley were a prototypical GM, and if Nelson were a garden variety head coach, and if the Warriors were any other organization, the upcoming All-Star break would provide all the criteria you would need to legitimately consider making a change.
Instead, none of the above is true. Riley you know about. Nelson is a coach of considerable stature who has bamboozled management into believing he is working wonders. That management? Even if owner Chris Cohan weren't a ghost, he is hardly the type to sack a coach to whom he owes money for the rest of this season and all of next. And it's hard to imagine team president Robert Rowell turning on a perceived organizational ally.
Thus, it's not going to happen. But a survey of the 12 midseason firings over the past three NBA seasons is instructive, revealing coaches who were dismissed even though some had better records than Nelson does now, some had teams higher in the standings than Nelson does now, and some hadn't been afforded the extended opportunity that Nelson enjoys. It
Advertisement

also revealed themes eerily familiar to those currently playing at an NBA arena near you. See if you don't agree:
Last week, Los Angeles Clippers coach/GM Mike Dunleavy kicked himself upstairs and handed the team to assistant Kim Hughes. Dunleavy's Clippers were 71/2 games better than the Warriors at the time of his decision.
"It came down to the last two or three years, a lot of wear and tear as far as trying to juggle lineups," Dunleavy said. "I worried about my enthusiasm going forward." Describe anyone you know?
Shortly after Thanksgiving, the New Jersey Nets fired Lawrence Frank. They were 0-16, and their season has turned into an abomination, so no comparisons there. But during his time with the Nets, Frank outperformed Nelson during his second tour with the Warriors (.483-.446).
Though Frank was well-regarded by the team, a source told ESPN.com, "The team hasn't lost interest in each other, which is a good sign, but I don't know how much interest they have in (Frank's message)." Hmmm.
New Orleans gave Byron Scott the boot nine games into this season. He did better there than Nelson has done here. And yet: "It goes back to our performance last year," team president Hugh Weber said. "We saw frustration throughout the organization."
Last season saw a chaotic run between Nov. 22 and Feb. 16 during which eight coaches were fired. Four (Terry Porter, Marc Iavaroni, Maurice Cheeks and Sam Mitchell) had their teams winning at a better clip than Nelson currently has the Warriors. Six (Porter, Iavaroni, Reggie Theus, Cheeks, Randy Wittman and Mitchell) had their teams higher in the conference standings. And four (Porter, Cheeks, Mitchell and Eddie Jordan) had better cumulative records with their teams.
A sampling of the exit interviews:
"Players cannot play when they're confused," Minnesota GM Kevin McHale said after firing Wittman. "You want to see a disaster, go see a bunch of confused players playing basketball."
"This is an unacceptable record, obviously," Washington team president Ernie Grunfeld said after sacking Jordan. "We had to do something."
"We don't have an identity," center Marc Gasol said after Iavaroni was fired by Memphis. "We run around like chickens with our heads cut off. Youth can be a good thing, but we use it as an excuse. We're always making excuses."
You mean like, "Wow, we sure have a lot of injuries this season?"
Only one coach, Chicago's Scott Skiles, was sent packing during the 2007-08 season. He was doing better with the Bulls (.360, 13th in the conference, .490 overall) than Nelson is doing with the Warriors. But there were parallels.
"(Skiles) helped this franchise get back to respectability," GM John Paxson said at the time. "(But) I'm disappointed in the way we're playing, the way we're competing."
Nelson, for all the good work he did once upon a time, has the formless Warriors going nowhere. At his age, he clearly isn't part of the long-term plan. With almost any other team you might hear the rumblings of imminent change.
Here it isn't even part of the conversation. And on we go.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:53 am
No shiit.

Why did I like this team over all the rest

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:05 am
Even now with some people in the local media questioning the wisdom of still employing Nelson as the coach of this team, I can only surmise that the reason why Nelson still has his job is because the front office and the fans still believe that he is the best option to coach this team into becoming a winner.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:12 am
Riley is a *****, FO are a bunch of pussies, we are stuck.

NO fired Scott who took them so far, and here we are with an old drunken bastard still.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:57 pm
migya wrote:No shiit.

Why did I like this team over all the rest

haha nosht i find myself asking the same thing. The answer-as an 11-12 year old, my fave player was Chris Mullin. Therefore, this is all his fault

Shout out to Uptempo
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
Next

Return to NBA Forum