Putting it all together

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:53 pm
Been lurking for years, finally got something worth posting - but really just putting together the best of the ideas (imo), that I've read in different threads (& sorry if this has actually been presented here before in this way)

The steps to the team we want:
1. Deal with Nets to push back a year the pick they got for Marcus Williams (send them this year's 2nd rounder? an expirer?)
2. Trade for Chris Paul: Monta, Randolph, & this year's 1st round pick. Hornets get two exciting young ballers with local connections + a potentially very good pick; we get CP3!
3. Trade for Amare or Bosh: Maggette, Curry, and a couple of the expirers (or, if they want Biedrins instead of Maggs, so be it.), and for Bosh maybe add one of the deeper guys on the bench (BW or Watson - or, they call it good cause they kinda robbed us in the Belli/George deal). It would definitely be a sign-an-extension-and-trade, and both guys should jump at the chance to play with CP3! Imagine Amare - 1st half of career with Nash, 2nd half with Paul. (But, like most of you, I'd rather have Bosh). Hell, with Paul on board, we might not even have to overpay!
4. Re-sign Raja Bell. Dude's got playoff experience, good D, and a decent 3 pt shot.
5. Pick up a couple vets/castoffs with the MLE (or partial) and the vet min this offseason.

2010 Opening Night Roster:
Bigs: Turiaf, Biedrins (if not dealt), Amare or Bosh, BW, VladRad.
Smalls: Chris Paul, CJ Watson, Buike, Morrow, Bell, MLE, vet min.

Final Five on the Floor at crunchtime:
Turiaf, Amare or Bosh, Buike, Morrow (or Bell if more D is needed), Chris Paul.

That's gotta be better than the Hornets and Suns teams that made deep post-season runs in recent years, and though my Laker's fan girlfriend thinks I'm crazy, I think that team would challenge the Lakers for the top spot in the West.

So, welcome to my daydream world, sorry if this make's any of y'all even more bitter at the W's ownership/management situation.

If you like it, hate it, or can't see how it would work (except for Dubs stupidity, of course), can't wait to read why.

P.S. - I love Monta - warts, tats, and all - but for this to work, he'd have to go.
I Believe - that Curry and Monta are gonna have a lot of fun playing together for many years to come.
I Believe - we will be the most improved team in the league next year.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:03 pm
AV Dawn wrote:Been lurking for years, finally got something worth posting - but really just putting together the best of the ideas (imo), that I've read in different threads (& sorry if this has actually been presented here before in this way)

The steps to the team we want:
1. Deal with Nets to push back a year the pick they got for Marcus Williams (send them this year's 2nd rounder? an expirer?)
2. Trade for Chris Paul: Monta, Randolph, & this year's 1st round pick. Hornets get two exciting young ballers with local connections + a potentially very good pick; we get CP3!
3. Trade for Amare or Bosh: Maggette, Curry, and a couple of the expirers (or, if they want Biedrins instead of Maggs, so be it.), and for Bosh maybe add one of the deeper guys on the bench (BW or Watson - or, they call it good cause they kinda robbed us in the Belli/George deal). It would definitely be a sign-an-extension-and-trade, and both guys should jump at the chance to play with CP3! Imagine Amare - 1st half of career with Nash, 2nd half with Paul. (But, like most of you, I'd rather have Bosh). Hell, with Paul on board, we might not even have to overpay!
4. Re-sign Raja Bell. Dude's got playoff experience, good D, and a decent 3 pt shot.
5. Pick up a couple vets/castoffs with the MLE (or partial) and the vet min this offseason.

2010 Opening Night Roster:
Bigs: Turiaf, Biedrins (if not dealt), Amare or Bosh, BW, VladRad.
Smalls: Chris Paul, CJ Watson, Buike, Morrow, Bell, MLE, vet min.

Final Five on the Floor at crunchtime:
Turiaf, Amare or Bosh, Buike, Morrow (or Bell if more D is needed), Chris Paul.

That's gotta be better than the Hornets and Suns teams that made deep post-season runs in recent years, and though my Laker's fan girlfriend thinks I'm crazy, I think that team would challenge the Lakers for the top spot in the West.

So, welcome to my daydream world, sorry if this make's any of y'all even more bitter at the W's ownership/management situation.

If you like it, hate it, or can't see how it would work (except for Dubs stupidity, of course), can't wait to read why.

P.S. - I love Monta - warts, tats, and all - but for this to work, he'd have to go.

Very good ideas dude, the likely hood of our garbage management pulling either one of those deals are very low.

And imo you should change Randolph for Curry in both trades(talking about trade for bosh not amare), as NO will use the pg tandem of curry/collison then monta at sg, because i doubt raptors would want another pg to create more havoc on their lineup management because they have calderon and jarret jack. They'd want a big and that big would be AR.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:10 pm
AV Dawn wrote:1. Deal with Nets to push back a year the pick they got for Marcus Williams (send them this year's 2nd rounder? an expirer?)

Thanks for finally posting AV.

We have already done this. We traded 2 2nd rounders to push the date back to 2012. This was done in September I think.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:11 pm
Good point about the Raptors, Pworld. The trades def make more sense for Hornets and Suns than for Hornets and Raptors. + Hornets will want to see what they've got in Collison over the next month, especially after his monster game against the Grizz, and so they would probably be almost as low on Curry as the Raptors would, but maybe we could also throw in Nelson and he could go with a nifty 3-guard line up :wink:
I Believe - that Curry and Monta are gonna have a lot of fun playing together for many years to come.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:15 pm
Bada Wrote:
We have already done this. We traded 2 2nd rounders to push the date back to 2012. This was done in September I think.

Sweet, and thanks for the thanks :)
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:25 pm
Hello AV Dawn,

At this point I'd just like to see some kind of change with the Warriors, but I'd rather not see us trade away Curry. Curry is looking too good to trade, and I think he is too swamped with his rookie minutes to actually hate the Warriors at his point.

Would love to have Bosh but it isn't reasonable to think he'd stay here unless we got another superstar to compliment him. Maybe Paul could be that superstar, but I think Bosh will be heading to NY or Miami. LeBron and/or D. Wade will be his destination.

I really wanted Amare earlier, but I've since soured on him. I see him going for a huge payday then playing half-assed for the rest of his career.

We need bigs more than anything, but I think we are going to have to settle for top-tier roleplayers or second-tier allstar bigs. I'm good with that. I think we'll have exceptional guards to compliment whatever bigs we ever land... if we ever land any :(

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:55 pm
Hey Chum, I'm as big on Curry's upside as everyone else, but with trading Monta, Randolph, & 1st rounder to get Chris Paul, & as sick a backcourt as Curry and CP3 would be, I see his value toward getting us the lowpost scorer/rebounder as even higher. Curry can dribble and pass, but Paul can dribble and pass better; Curry can shoot, but Morrow, Buike, and Watson can also shoot (and none of them have nearly the trade value of Curry). Paul running with a solid wing defender (Buike/Bell), lights-out shooter (Morrow if he ever gets back to pre-family trauma form, + Buike, Bell, & Watson to progressively lesser extents), a lowpost four that can shoot out to 12-15, and the D/rebounding combo from Turiaf & Biedrins at the 5 is about as perfect a scenario I can think of for Paul. So for me, as much as I love Curry's head and game, it would be too much of the same with him and Paul together, when he could be a great piece of a trade for the Big we all want so desparately.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:25 pm
Monta, Randolph, & this year's 1st round pick is too much even for Paul. Monta and one other player, like Morrow, Azu or Curry, should be enough to get him.

Amare is very good, but he has to commit to resigning and play Center, as i would trade AB in a package for him and have AR as the PF. Amare also wants max money and he no longer is worth that, he is worth no more than 15 million a year. Bosh won't want to come here and he likely has plans for New York or Miami. For either one though, after they commit to resigning, I'd trade AB and Maggette for either Amare or Bosh and filler, or AB, BW and one other player for either of them.

Getting Paul would be the best start, but for the team to really become championship caliber, they'd have to get one more star type player, an established one and has to really be a center or the Center for the team anyway. The only way that no other star big is needed, is if AR becomes the star big and he isn't yet

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:52 pm
You guys have given me some good things to think about. I guess what it boils down to for me is this: our best chance to get the seemingly mythical "BIG" we all want is to get Chris Paul first. If he can be gotten for less than what I proposed, as Migya mentioned, then all the better.

On a lesser note, & I may be in the small minority, but if you gave me the choice to keep either Azubuike or Randolph (with the end result being the success of my trade proposals), I'd keep Kalenna, as I can see him playing a much more key role in a playoff run (2011, 2012) than Randolph. Dude's got nerves of steel - he'd be one of the last players on the team to get rattled (just after Paul, I'd say, and equal to Turiaf), whereas I'd predict that Randolph would wilt under the pressure, as a young Monta did agains the Mavs/Jazz.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:10 pm
Welcome aboard dude

man that's a lot to give up for CP3. Dont get me wrong, I love him. Best pg in the league, but I think you'd wanna top 3 protect the pick or something. Knowing our luck, we'd trade the pick, not protect it, and land #1 lol
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:30 am
Welcome to the board, mate. :hello2:

And, Quazza, we're talking about a top PG, arguably the top PG in the league, so if we get a chance to get him, even if it involves our #1 pick, he's worth it.

But I don't think New Orleans would be interested...

As for Amare, thanks, but no. I'd love to add Bosh, but as he will test free agency, I'll pass. There's a big risk of trading for him and end up with nothing.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:26 am
oh dont get me wrong, if that happened, I'd he happy. Hey, Chris Paul a Warrior, awesome!

but there'd be that little voice in my head, concerned that Wall becomes the next huge thing
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:52 am
Quazza wrote:oh dont get me wrong, if that happened, I'd he happy. Hey, Chris Paul a Warrior, awesome!

but there'd be that little voice in my head, concerned that Wall becomes the next huge thing

That's too much for Paul, no matter if he's the best PG or not. The team should get a top 5 pick at worst, at worst. There's a big chance they get #1, there is, as much if not more than when they got #1 and picked Joe Smith. Monta and AR alone can be said to be too much for Paul and I am of that opinion because AR is a big and we need good bigs. If it was Monta and Curry for Paul, I'd do it, even though Curry also has great talent, like Monta. You can replace the SG quite easily and Paul takes over as the PG, being better than either Monta or Curry, so it works out great

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:22 am
Migya, I think for Paul to be on board with a trade to the Warriors he'd want to know that Curry will be remaining with the Warriors. They are buddies. This doesn't mean we couldn't do it, but we should probably wait awhile to piss off the best PG in the league after we land him :)

I think with a Paul/Curry backcourt you could stack the other three positions with defenders/rebounders, and still get enough points out of them from putbacks and them being 3rd/4th/5th options for scoring.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:04 pm
Thanks for all the input, it's helped to settle things in my mind.

I see two basic options:
One: stick with what we've got, hope all the injuries this season are a fluke (except for BW, as we know better than to hope for a full season from him), plan on picking up a stud in the draft, plan on the young guys improving as much as they can in Nelson's last season, and hoping that he's gone, along with the suits above him, and plan on having a break-out season in 2011-2012. I can wait -- I've only been a fan since Andris's first season (not for that reason, but that's how I keep track), and I can see the great amount of upside in our young talent -- but most of you have been diehard fans for much, much longer, and so...

Two: Make moves with our young assets to bring in All Star talent. It's been agreed on this board that whoever we want to bring in, we will have to overpay for, just as we did with Maggs. I say, overpay in the trade to get Chris Paul, and with him comes instant respectability, and we won't have to overpay (in cash or talent) for the lowpost player to complement him.

Migya says Ellis, Randolph, and our first is too much for Paul; TMC says it probably isn't enough.

For Migya (and Quazza), consider my explanation for why we would have to overpay - cause we're not just getting Paul's All-World talent, we're getting the franchise player that other top-level talent wants to play with. Also, it seems to be a general rule in NBA trades that whoever gets the franchise player ends up with the better end of the deal.

For TMC, I say perhaps, but perhaps not. If Paul was on the Rockets or Spurs, there's no way their management would ever let him go, but the Hornets franchise definitely has different priorities than those two, and I think their management could sell Monta, Randolph & the pick to their fans.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome :)
Next

Return to Trades