Could be best time to go for Paul

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Chance of getting Paul

1. Great now and with Peja for Monta, Maggette and Bell, definate trade
8%
2. Great now, but you need to give more than that
No votes
3. Great now, but that's giving too much, can get him for less
No votes
4. Still can't get him, though there is some chance right now
31%
5. Can't get him unless you give all the talent, like AR, AB and Monta for Paul and scrubs
8%
6. New Orleans won't give him at all
54%

Total votes : 13

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:22 am
Ever since I read an article in the offseason about how Paul was unhappy with the lack of ability of the FO there to put together a winner, I've wanted to make a trade for him. With Paul now injured for about two months, likely coming back at the start of April, now would be the best time to look to trade for him.

Hornets are battling for a playoff spot and won't get it now without Paul for so long. Offering Monta, Maggette and Bell for Paul and Peja would work. Hornets get two players on fire in Monta and Maggette and Bell's expirer.

For the Warriors, the season is done, but getting Paul, who is locked in on his contract, is a great start to the remodelling of the franchise. Peja is past it and he can be let go after this season or kept if he signs for less than three million a year. With a top 3 pick in the draft the team would have many options.

Most of the players still on the roster would flourish with Paul as the PG. AR, played for proper minutes, would be at his best. Morrow would get alot of open shots, sort of like Peja did a couple of seasons ago. Azu same sort of deal, but he is more allround and could score even more. AB, barring any other trade, would play a Chandler role. The team would be like the Hornets of two years ago, but more talented, as Curry (the oddman out) is still here, the top 3 pick, Turiaf and the above metioned players

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:52 am
Won't happen. Paul ain't going anywhere. Trading him means financial death for the Hornets, as nobody in New Orleans would go to watch that team.

Also, I haven't heard any complain from him since they traded for Okafor. Although I guess they were expecting a bit more from him...

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:45 am
Agreed, imagine if you were a Hornets fan and they traded Chris Paul? I never really believed the rumor.
War Years
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:40 pm
Now is a good time to trade for Paul, or anyone for that matter. Since Paul did express wanting to be traded this season the Hornets organization has to considering trading him, even if they don't want to.

Paul was interviewed before the Hornets played the Warriors and he gushed about how good Curry was and about what good friends they were. He might actually want to play here, and whatever you think of Nellie, if you play PG and you can score, you have to know your numbers will go through the roof on a Nellie team.

We should at least try trading for him, and I'd be very happy with a Paul/Curry backcourt.

As much as I like Chris Paul the Warriors need to address the frontcourt problem. You can't win if you can't rebound or play D. The Warriors can't do either. They need bigs that can control the paint. If we trade for Paul, and give up Monta in the process, we lost our best piece for trading for a big.

Still, Paul is so good it would be worth it.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:06 pm
Chum wrote:Now is a good time to trade for Paul, or anyone for that matter. Since Paul did express wanting to be traded this season the Hornets organization has to considering trading him, even if they don't want to.

Paul was interviewed before the Hornets played the Warriors and he gushed about how good Curry was and about what good friends they were. He might actually want to play here, and whatever you think of Nellie, if you play PG and you can score, you have to know your numbers will go through the roof on a Nellie team.

We should at least try trading for him, and I'd be very happy with a Paul/Curry backcourt.

As much as I like Chris Paul the Warriors need to address the frontcourt problem. You can't win if you can't rebound or play D. The Warriors can't do either. They need bigs that can control the paint. If we trade for Paul, and give up Monta in the process, we lost our best piece for trading for a big.

And with Nellie you know there is a possibility of CP3 playing SF for us and CP3 wanting out after 1 year with Nelson :|
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:13 pm
Pworld wrote:
Chum wrote:Now is a good time to trade for Paul, or anyone for that matter. Since Paul did express wanting to be traded this season the Hornets organization has to considering trading him, even if they don't want to.

And with Nellie you know there is a possibility of CP3 playing SF for us and CP3 wanting out after 1 year with Nelson :|

Funny, but seriously, Paul is Nellie's ideal player. Paul would get the green light 100% of the time. It would probably take a season or two for Paul to be pissed at Nellie. Even though Paul would have the sickest numbers in the league, the Warriors still won't be able to rebound.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:25 pm
Chum wrote:
Pworld wrote:

Funny, but seriously, Paul is Nellie's ideal player. Paul would get the green light 100% of the time. It would probably take a season or two for Paul to be pissed at Nellie. Even though Paul would have the sickest numbers in the league, the Warriors still won't be able to rebound.

I think anyone under 6'4 is nellies ideal player :)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:18 pm

I'd even trade Curry and Monta for Paul, but that's only seeing if Monta and Morrow or the package I mentioned in the first post didn't work. You have to get the established star and a star that makes other better and leads a team to winning. Paul has always had a pretty average team in New Orleans and his made them one of the best teams in the West, at least a couple of years ago they were, and they ares till a 50% type team because of his presence, as that team is quite awful I think. Say what you want about Okafor, but the guy hasn't become the player many, including me, thought he would be and is nothing more than a rebounder and shot blocker, just a bit better player than Chandler was for them. West is quite good, but he doesn't do anything particularly well outside of scoring and he's not a great scorer either just a good one. The rest of that team is pretty woeful.

With Paul on the team as is, replacing Curry and Monta, just imagine this scenario, the team would be better. Yea, there have been many injuries this season, but early in the season there was only one or two and the team still stunk a fair bit. Every player, especially AR, would be better with Paul.

Definately worth pursuing and now more than ever

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:32 am
If we are going to have any shot at getting Chris Paul it will be for expiring contracts. The Hornets need to get out of cap hell at all costs, and they would probably need to create some cap room for this offseason if they are going to undertake a rebuilding project without Paul there. I wouldn't be surprised if they would want us to take Okafor or maybe West as part of the deal, and I am not sure that we have enough EC's to get the deal done.

We would also have to part with our first round pick I am 100% positive.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:23 pm
Tarantism wrote:If we are going to have any shot at getting Chris Paul it will be for expiring contracts. The Hornets need to get out of cap hell at all costs, and they would probably need to create some cap room for this offseason if they are going to undertake a rebuilding project without Paul there. I wouldn't be surprised if they would want us to take Okafor or maybe West as part of the deal, and I am not sure that we have enough EC's to get the deal done.

We would also have to part with our first round pick I am 100% positive.

Well if the Hornets just wanted expirers, they definately would be rebuilding and setting themselves up to be one of the worst teams for a while, unless they got a replacement for Paul straight away, which Curry would be. Offering Curry and Monta would have to make the Hornets FO really consider it. You get two very talented, young guards with huge potential. They are a thin team, in that they are not deep at all and really go with only five or six guys to do it all.

By offering Curry and Monta, you wouldn't have to offer the lottery pick at all and nor should you

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:23 pm
Monta just had his career high scoring game and the last month he has been doing what he has been and also hitting 1.5 threes a game. The time is not to make that big trade for Paul. As crazy as it seems, maybe a straight up trade is possible right now. Monta has been that awesome individually and other GMs must be high on him right now

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:48 pm
i honestly dont think that GM's are going to lose all sense of reality because Monta has had a great month scoring the basketball and because Paul got injured. That is way too reactionary.

Certainly worth a try but not going to happen. I mean you dont trade a PG for a SG even if they are even... certainly not going to do it when the PG is the better player.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:38 pm
bada wrote:i honestly dont think that GM's are going to lose all sense of reality because Monta has had a great month scoring the basketball and because Paul got injured. That is way too reactionary.

Certainly worth a try but not going to happen. I mean you dont trade a PG for a SG even if they are even... certainly not going to do it when the PG is the better player.

Smart and proper GMs would hold back on such a trade. However, there have been many bad trade moves in nba history, recent ones as well. It is all situational and if Paul is rather unhappy with the Hornets and/or if the Hornets FO sees that that team needs change, maybe because it will all fall to bits with players leaving or whatever, they could seriously consider such a move.

My point is and has been for a good month or more now, is that Monta's value is very high right now and the team is not a winner and my belief is that it won't be with Monta. Paul is injured and the Hornets are still in a position to make the playoffs and can't fall back now.

Worth a try for sure

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:10 am
The way Collison's been playing replacing Paul, Hornets might well see that trading Paul for Monta and one other player to be a real gain for them.

Not going to happen with this management ofcourse

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:06 pm
Just bringing back the topic of Paul. I'd still trade Curry and Monta for Paul, even though many would say that's overpaying for Paul. Everyone is so high on Curry, but Paul is still better, I think a fair bit better. Curry's lack of defense is the bigest difference between the two.

Next

Return to Trades