Magic at Blazers

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:14 pm
I'll be at the Magic vs. Portland game on friday. I'm excited, but I know I'll be wishing D. Howard was on the Warriors with every play he makes :(

I should be 5 rows behind the visiting bench rooting for the Magic. If I can find a good Warriors cap I'll wear it to the game.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:03 pm
Well, I'm not sure anyone will read this, and it's kinda weird replying to my own post, but just in case anyone is interested...

It was great to be that close to the court at an NBA game, my old Warriors seats were good but nothing like this. I thought I was going to be sitting behind the visiting team's bench, but I ended up behind the Blazers bench. Lamarcus Aldrige is a giant btw.

The Blazers played a great game from beginning to end, and the Magic looked like ****. Andre Miller was the best player for the Blazers and, I guess Gortat played the best for the Magic. Really, nobody on the Magic played particularly well. I think everyone in the stadium openly commented, or at least commented to themselves, that D. Howard's arms looked bigger than anyone else's legs. He is a freak.

While the Blazers played a technically perfect game, my love for the Warriors was renewed...

"SLOW BALL" IS BORING AS HELL!!!

There was so little full court play, so few exciting passes, so few dunks, so few of the things that really make basketball exciting for me that I couldn't help but appreciate "small ball" or the idea of "fast ball" so much more.

I only hope that if/when Nellie is gone they find a coach that wants to continue on with "fast ball."
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:38 pm
Chum wrote:Well, I'm not sure anyone will read this

Don't worry, I'm following the thread...

And think it's a pity you went to a game that Roy missed. A bit suprising that they were able to beat the Magic without him... much less the way it happened.

Chum wrote:While the Blazers played a technically perfect game, my love for the Warriors was renewed...

There was so little full court play, so few exciting passes, so few dunks, so few of the things that really make basketball exciting for me that I couldn't help but appreciate "small ball" or the idea of "fast ball" so much more.

I only hope that if/when Nellie is gone they find a coach that wants to continue on with "fast ball."

Well, that's the old discussion of offense vs defense (or, better yet, balance). The Blazers might have played a boring game, but still won by 15 (or close, don't remember the score).

And that's all that should matter. In an ideal world, you'd play a fast-paced game, scoring lots of points and winning just by outscoring your opponents, but that kind of bball (although it applies to almost any sport) just doesn't win enough to make a team a contender. You have to build your team from the defense (and rebounding as well), and that usually means slow ball.

That's a price I'm willing to pay for a winner.

Although this discussion probably doesn't belong in this thread. We had a few on the Warriors forum regarding this topic...
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:58 pm
Chum wrote:Well, I'm not sure anyone will read this, and it's kinda weird replying to my own post, but just in case anyone is interested...

It was great to be that close to the court at an NBA game, my old Warriors seats were good but nothing like this. I thought I was going to be sitting behind the visiting team's bench, but I ended up behind the Blazers bench. Lamarcus Aldrige is a giant btw.

The Blazers played a great game from beginning to end, and the Magic looked like ****. Andre Miller was the best player for the Blazers and, I guess Gortat played the best for the Magic. Really, nobody on the Magic played particularly well. I think everyone in the stadium openly commented, or at least commented to themselves, that D. Howard's arms looked bigger than anyone else's legs. He is a freak.

While the Blazers played a technically perfect game, my love for the Warriors was renewed...

sounds fun, the closest i've been was 7 rows up back in the Antawn Jamison heyday (ouch). It was a nice game where the Sonics destroyed the Warriors, but it was cool anyway. We sat near the Sonics bench too, so there wasn't too much going on. But i'm sure being 5 rows back was cool regardless of who was playing huh? it is the NBA after all. I think when you talk about "fast ball" that's what i'd like. Nothing wrong with having athletic bigs that can run the floor, you don't need 4 guards to make it work. I just hate when teams "grind it out".
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:00 pm
I agree TMC, if the choice is slow ball and wins vs. fast ball and loses I'll take slow ball. I keep thinking back to Nellie's return and Baron's reign. The Warriors were fast AND played D. They just waited to play D until the 4th quarter, and even then they still pushed for the fast break.

Anyway, the game was still fun to go see, it just didn't have the dynamic style of a Warriors game. It really did make me appreciate the Warriors play style more.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:12 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:But i'm sure being 5 rows back was cool regardless of who was playing huh?

Very! We sat mingled in with the Trailblazers family/friends. It looked like we were in the hip-hop section. Waaaaaay too much bling for the teenagers imho. One of the Baldwins there. It was the heafty one that is always skipping out of rehab. There were also mumblings of Joe Montana sitting on the opposite side of the court but I couldn't pick him out of the crowd, so can't confirm that.

RobDIKUM wrote:I think when you talk about "fast ball" that's what i'd like. Nothing wrong with having athletic bigs that can run the floor, you don't need 4 guards to make it work. I just hate when teams "grind it out".

/100% agreement

We need fast AND tall :)

Return to NBA Forum