We're not trading for a Big

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:53 pm
The Warriors need a difference making Big. We aren't getting one...

Bosh: The only way I see us getting this guy is if we trade for McGrady, let his contract expire, then overpay Bosh. It sounds like Houston is going to do this themselves.

Amare: This guy was a possibility, but we pissed off the Suns by keeping Curry after we originally said we'd trade him. If we offered the same deal now they'd say "NO!" The Suns are clicking with Amare now. His eye surgery went well. No reason to trade him now.

Marc Gasol: His current salary is too small for us to trade Monta plus for. The Grizzles would have to trade too many other scud players to us for a Monta/Beans or Monta/Turiaf for Gasol deal. His potential is too high to let go of for a small.

Can't see another Big that would make a difference, AND that their team would let go of.

Maybe we draft a good Big but it's a long shot that whoever we end up with will be worthwile at Center of PF.

I think we are stuck with Beans and Turiaf. Not all bad, but that means pretty much all of our offense needs to come from the smalls. Maybe we can pick up Camby or another decent Big to help them out?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:29 pm
I still think getting Amare is a possibility, but it comes down more to whether he would accept coming here than whether a trade for him could be worked out with the Suns. IF and only IF the team showed some kind of promise in being a winner with him, I think Amare would consider it, but as the team stands right now, he has to look at it and think noway he wants to come here. If the team gets Wall, then maybe he'd see possibility here, same thing if the team could pull off one or two great trades and get very good player here. I like Amare and he has been successful in the running game, similar to what the team has, so he looks like the best and most sure fit. Any trade for him would have to be soon and would have to include a resign for at least two years. I'd prefer to wait until the offseason and then try to attract him, as not only do you not give anything for him, you know he is going to sign a contract if he does come here and not just leave after a couple of months.

Bosh is unrealistic to come here, as I think he wants to go to a winner or stay in Toronto. Boozer I think will leave the Jazz, likely to Miami, and he isn't a good fit in Nelson's system anyway.

MGasol is a player I like and he is showing that he is a tru big man type player that does the hard work and plays defense. Getting him would for AB and/or Monta would have to involve throwing in a filler like Jaric and I'd do that. MGasol is better than AB I think

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:14 pm
Al Jefferson appears to be fully on the block (trading).
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:52 pm
david lee?
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:24 pm
I don't think Al Jefferson is enough of a difference maker to trade for personally. Same for David Lee.

I think we need a guy who can take over a game nearly by himself offensively, or be so dominant defensively that the opposing team can't keep up with our scoring.

There aren't too many guys like this in the league. Duncan, KG, LeBron, guys like that aren't coming to the Warriors. The next tier are the ones I've mentioned, although Marc Gasol isn't quite there yet, he looks like he will be.

Just off the top of my head (no particular order)...

Duncan
KG
Lebron
Amare
Pau Gasol
Marc Gasol
Bosh
D. Howard

I think guys like Nowitzski, Shaq, Boozer are either too old or won't fit a Nellie system very well, and wouldn't be worth trading someone like Monta for.

I just don't see us getting any of these guys. There are few other "good" big men out there (ie. Josh Smith, Randolph, Horford etc.) that won't be enough of a presence to take the Warriors a Championship level.

Maybe we draft Derrick Favors and he turns into a superstar Big, but two longshots there.

I think we are screwed for Bigs.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:49 am
fine wrote:Al Jefferson appears to be fully on the block (trading).

Read that a few minutes ago as well and I'd inquire to say the least. Monta for AJefferson straight up might work or maybe a little contract filler from our end is needed to make salaries work, maybe someone like Morrow. AJefferson is a great big player that is not playing to his level this season, but is playing better as time goes by and is getting back to that level. He would be a great Center, as he is big enough to be Center and has been that for the TWolves for a while now. I'd then trade AB and someone else for a very good PG, maybe offer AB and Curry for Paul :)

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:14 am
Chum wrote:I don't think Al Jefferson is enough of a difference maker to trade for personally. Same for David Lee.

I think we need a guy who can take over a game nearly by himself offensively, or be so dominant defensively that the opposing team can't keep up with our scoring.

Problem is, those guys are not available. Al Jefferson and David Lee are probably the best inside guys we can hope to trade for. And Marc Gasol is in a pretty similar level to those two (his game has peaked already, although his numbers might not, pending on how much the team focuses on him).

Still, I'd do Monta for Al Jefferson in a heartbeat. Nellie won't.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:06 am
TMC wrote:
Chum wrote:I don't think Al Jefferson is enough of a difference maker to trade for personally. Same for David Lee.

Problem is, those guys are not available. Al Jefferson and David Lee are probably the best inside guys we can hope to trade for. And Marc Gasol is in a pretty similar level to those two (his game has peaked already, although his numbers might not, pending on how much the team focuses on him).Still, I'd do Monta for Al Jefferson in a heartbeat. Nellie won't.

I prefer Kevin Love over Gasol, but either would br great. I agree that Jefferson and possibly Lee are the only shot we got. I wouldn't give Monta for Jefferson, but I'd consider Beans or Maggette. I don't buy that Jefferson is too slow for our style of ball and I think those preconceptions are something we have to free ourselves from. Our goal should be to be a more complete team, not some hybrid team. Though honestly I wonder if Nelly can think like that.

Since we are such a f-ckin fast, open court team, we can probably score half our points before AJ gets back up to the halfcourt line. So we can save AJ running a half court each way, that's a full court of running and will prolong his career. ( just kidding )

I'd probably offer them a big man deal of Beans, Rad for Jefferson and Pecherov and see if we can shed a little salary. That would leave us vulnerable in the short term with Randolph out, which fits in perfectly with my tanking for a shot at John Wall strategy. Pretty clever huh?
War Years

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:30 am
I think many are over-rating Marc Gasol, although he would be an upgrade from Beans, because skill wise many post players are better than Beans. But looking for a big-man there will always be the Nellie complex and his inability to use a post player correctly.

Perfect post player for Nellie think Brad Miller, Memet Okur type who can hit shots from the outside, as well as a decent post game. Nellie makes it difficult to get a post player because for that post player to be fully utilizeand effective he must be highly skilled. While you gain skill from a Nelliesk big man, you also find out they will lack in toughness.

This up-coming draft is loaded with post players, there are a couple of Euros, super skilled 7'0ers, can hit from beyond the arc, have good handles, are 7'0 tall, but toughness and strength come to play as they are lacking.

Then you come to the states and find some real athletic bruisers, NBA body ready big men that would thrive in Nellie's system. The draft is the direction to go, top to bottom the best draft for post players in a long time. What it turns out for the warriors am scared to even think, I know they will mess it up. Damn, Damn, Damn.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:40 am
TMC wrote:Problem is, those guys are not available.

That's my point TMC, the guys we need are unavailable.

Return to Trades