McGrady to leave Rockets, waiting on trade

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:27 pm
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApBZx8.v3coMNv_A0e3rUYG8vLYF?slug=aw-mcgradytrade1228089&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

McGrady to leave Rockets, waiting on trade
By Adrian Wojnarowski

Tracy McGrady(notes) and the Houston Rockets have reached a mutual decision that allows him to leave the team while the two sides try to facilitate a trade, likely ending the former All-Star guard’s tenure with the franchise, an NBA source said Monday.

McGrady’s representatives spoke with team officials earlier in the day after Rockets coach Rick Adelman made it clear last week he had no plans to increase the guard’s minutes. McGrady then returned to Houston with Adelman’s blessing before the Rockets’ games in New Jersey and Cleveland.

McGrady had averaged just under eight minutes in six appearances after missing the first 23 games of the season while recovering from microfracture surgery on his left knee. Sources say McGrady plans to return to Chicago by the end of the week and work out with trainer Tim Grover.

Yahoo! Sports first reported Monday morning that McGrady was expected to leave the team.

A source with knowledge of Monday’s talks said the Rockets would have allowed McGrady to stay, but the guard thought he’d be too much of a distraction to the team.

McGrady is making a league-high $23 million in the final year of his contract, and won’t be easy to trade given his large salary and how little teams have seen him play this season. Rival teams say the Rockets are willing to take back long-term money for the right trade with McGrady, but no deal appears imminent. Talks could pick up closer to the trade deadline in February when cost-cutting franchises may be more attracted to McGrady’s expiring contract.

McGrady told Yahoo! Sports’ Marc Spears last week that he’s confident he won’t disappoint anyone who trades for him.

“I will tell you what … if anything were to happen, whoever [trades for him] is going to get a hell of a player,” McGrady said. “A hungry one, too.”

Key point I think is that they are wiling to take back long term contracts for TMac. I'd be willing to trade Maggette, AB and Bell for TMac and Landry. We lose AB, who has been solid, but nothing really special, since being here, but Maggette long contract is gone and Bell is an expirer anyway. Tmac expires, but Landry is very solid and may well fit in well. That allows for alot of money to be available for getting a couple of very good players

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:56 pm
No way they give up Landry in that trade man.

I really like the idea, for nothing more than getting some serious contracts off our books.

I dont like the idea of Beans going though...........who the F would be our center!? cuz it wont be Landry and he isnt right for it either.

Maggette, Bell and Radmanovic straight up.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:06 am
bigstrads wrote:No way they give up Landry in that trade man.

I really like the idea, for nothing more than getting some serious contracts off our books.

I dont like the idea of Beans going though...........who the F would be our center!? cuz it wont be Landry and he isnt right for it either.

I reckon the Rockets would give Landry for Maggette and AB, they'd be insane not to. I don't think AB is that great, very good yes, but not great. I'd rather see the team really look for a Center in another trade or through free agency because AB is not that special at all.

The point here is to shed salary and that is done with getting rid of Maggette's long contract and would complete a very good overhaul of getting rid of the three worst contracts on the team, in Crawford, SJack and Maggette.

Don't think the Rockets would go for Radman, though I'd do that trade for sure, get rid of two long contracts, as Radman's is also

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:36 am
migya wrote:

I reckon the Rockets would give Landry for Maggette and AB, they'd be insane not to. I don't think AB is that great, very good yes, but not great. I'd rather see the team really look for a Center in another trade or through free agency because AB is not that special at all.

The point here is to shed salary and that is done with getting rid of Maggette's long contract and would complete a very good overhaul of getting rid of the three worst contracts on the team, in Crawford, SJack and Maggette.

Don't think the Rockets would go for Radman, though I'd do that trade for sure, get rid of two long contracts, as Radman's is also

That's a good idea any way to unload Maggs contract, all though he has played well the last couple games minus the Celtics game. Am not sure if his status needs to be evaluated because of his surprising play, oh never mind I would send him along with Rad, but the Rockets want more. Not sure Beans is the answer either since they have Yao Ming.

Rockets want young talent in return for T-Mac and that Fat expiring, AR is out of the question and that's who they probably want.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:09 am
migya wrote:

I'm with Bigs here. The Rockets won't include Landry in such a deal. He's been the sixth man of the year so far, and one of their key guys, and he's doing so at a pretty low salary. No way they get rid of him. In that case, they'd be better just by letting T-Mac's contract run out.

Also, I don't think they'd be interested in Reggrette. What for?. They already have Battier and Ariza playing in the wings, two guys that are already better than Corey, what's the point of trading for a big contract that's gonna be a backup for them?
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:24 pm
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:

I'm with Bigs here. The Rockets won't include Landry in such a deal. He's been the sixth man of the year so far, and one of their key guys, and he's doing so at a pretty low salary. No way they get rid of him. In that case, they'd be better just by letting T-Mac's contract run out.

Also, I don't think they'd be interested in Reggrette. What for?. They already have Battier and Ariza playing in the wings, two guys that are already better than Corey, what's the point of trading for a big contract that's gonna be a backup for them?

Well, the only reason I thought they might go for Maggette...............si cuz they need someone who can score the ball!

I mean who do they have right now who they can consistently rely on to score?..............atleast if they havnt realised what we know about Maggettes chemistry/flo killing offensive traits, he can still score the ball...........he will always do that and as such, would be an interesting player to teams that have a bunch of streaky shooters and no-one that they can depend on right now, like Houston.

Anyway, there GM aint stupid..............so it isnt going to happen and if it did, they would DEMAND young talent and not haggered old stuck in their ways prima donas for TMac's expiring deal.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:12 pm
migs, I dont get it.

First you say they would be INSANE to turn down that trade, but on the other you say AB is not that great and Maggs has a terrible contract that we need to get rid of.

So why would they trade one of the more productive and young PF's in the league for a guy that is not great and a terrible contract?

Kinda sounds like they would be insane to actually MAKE the trade.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:10 pm
they have absolutely no reason to trade him unless its for something they really want. Or, just let his HUGE contract expire and go shopping in the summer
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:17 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
migya wrote:

That's a good idea any way to unload Maggs contract, all though he has played well the last couple games minus the Celtics game. Am not sure if his status needs to be evaluated because of his surprising play, oh never mind I would send him along with Rad, but the Rockets want more. Not sure Beans is the answer either since they have Yao Ming.

Rockets want young talent in return for T-Mac and that Fat expiring, AR is out of the question and that's who they probably want.

Yao's career may be over, so getting AB would be a nice replacement for him. The Rockets need talent and though they have been doing real well so far this season, thay are not very talented and seem to be getting the most out of all the players they have right now

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:28 pm
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:

Landry has been good, but he is no real difference maker and is the sort of player that would be real good next to a superstar or couple of allstars. He produces sort of like how Marion used to and in short minutes too, as I've seen.

As for the Rockets already having good SFs, well Ariza and Battier are good, but not special, neither is Maggette for that matter, but as Bigs pointed out, Maggette is a very good scorer and much more so than the mentioned two currently on the Rockets. Battier is what he is, a good defender that hits threes, but he doesn't do much outside of that. Ariza is getting the most out of his talent and I for one am surprised he is playing as good as he is as he is a role player. Getting Maggette would be filling a need of scoring and either him or Ariza can be the SG ofcourse

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:33 pm
bada wrote:migs, I dont get it.

First you say they would be INSANE to turn down that trade, but on the other you say AB is not that great and Maggs has a terrible contract that we need to get rid of.

So why would they trade one of the more productive and young PF's in the league for a guy that is not great and a terrible contract?

Kinda sounds like they would be insane to actually MAKE the trade.

The rockets are not that talented and with Yao injured and his career possibly over, they need players like AB and Maggette, much moreso than the Warriors do. AB is not that great at all, to me, but he is better than any big the Rockets currently have outside of Scola and even then, he looks like a better rebounder and defender than Scola. I've covered why Maggette would be good for them in one of the two above posts I just made.

The Rockets are doing well, that they are, but they do need talent and might have to replace Yao real quick, as he might not be back and if he does come back, he might not be the same again

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:48 am
bigstrads wrote:Well, the only reason I thought they might go for Maggette...............si cuz they need someone who can score the ball!

I mean who do they have right now who they can consistently rely on to score?..............atleast if they havnt realised what we know about Maggettes chemistry/flo killing offensive traits, he can still score the ball...........he will always do that and as such, would be an interesting player to teams that have a bunch of streaky shooters and no-one that they can depend on right now, like Houston.

Well, my point is that they're doing pretty well right now, showing no need to add such a financial burden to their short term future. I mean, I could see this trade happening if they were one player away from being a contender, but why mess with their salary cap when they won't improve that much?

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:55 am
migya wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:
migya wrote:

Yao's career may be over, so getting AB would be a nice replacement for him. The Rockets need talent and though they have been doing real well so far this season, thay are not very talented and seem to be getting the most out of all the players they have right now

Well that's a good point it does hinge on Yao's injury and how the Rockets feel he will come back. So they can take a the bait, I know it was a season ending injury, but if Yao is shedule to come back, Beans will be too expensive to be a back-up. So it does depend on the Yao factor, do you know whether for sure it might be career ending ? Also if we get rid of Beans the warriors need a solid replacement, am not a huge fan of the guy but he is solid enough with his hustle, and want that replaced.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:35 am
warriorsstepup wrote:
migya wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:
migya wrote:

Well that's a good point it does hinge on Yao's injury and how the Rockets feel he will come back. So they can take a the bait, I know it was a season ending injury, but if Yao is shedule to come back, Beans will be too expensive to be a back-up. So it does depend on the Yao factor, do you know whether for sure it might be career ending ? Also if we get rid of Beans the warriors need a solid replacement, am not a huge fan of the guy but he is solid enough with his hustle, and want that replaced.

Even if Yao came back, the Rockets could use Andris at the PF spot. I think that really is his ideal position. He is a really good rebounder, but he does not block shots or keep opposing Cs out of the scoring column.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:03 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:
migya wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:
migya wrote:

Even if Yao came back, the Rockets could use Andris at the PF spot. I think that really is his ideal position. He is a really good rebounder, but he does not block shots or keep opposing Cs out of the scoring column.

Andris came into the league listed as a PF 'til the Warriors moved him to the C. You're correct Always, PF is his ideal position.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Next

Return to News Articles