Legal Help?

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:43 pm
Thanks for the feedback once again you guys. I am going out of town for a few days so I am too busy tonight to spend too much time on the net but I will be back with responses and probably more info in two days.

Thanks again. :D
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:09 pm
No Longer StuckInSoCal wrote:Honestly dude, just walk. You're walking away from this with a bruised ego but no other consequences. I'm only 31 myself, but I've learned in my professional life to leave the "gotcha" moments alone and to never burn bridges that aren't necessary to torch.

In life, these coffee shop owners will likely have their fair share of BS because of their attitudes and actions. It's the way you live your life that will determine what hand you're dealt. Put yourself in good situations and good things will follow. Trying to screw over a former employer is not a good position to put yourself in.

In brief, take the high road and you'll never have regrets.

Exactly how I feel, about the whole thing.

Don't think about it anymore Tarantism, it will not help you in any way in your life.

NOW, if you had not signed that confession letter and wanted to shaft them, then you could have just reported that they employing you illegally, you were ignorant on laws about this matter, you feel used and abused, and they would get shafted for it, likely quite hard too.

As it is, move on with your life and strive to be happy, that's what is important

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:58 pm
I'm with the move-on people. Cash under the table? Taxes?

As a general lesson, working for mom and pop businesses can be chancy. You get caught up in their personal issues and general nuttiness. Believe me, I have worked for the truly insane.

A lot of small businesses are owned by people who can't get along with others, so they start their own business where they can be boss. And, being boss is important to many of them and they like to exert their authority in often illegal and inappropriate ways.

Then, what are your options? A judge is going to say that, sure, it was unfair but what do you want? Jail? A big bag of money? Really, they just consider it part of life. Racial firings, sexual harassment and the like can get some sympathy, but it has to be a good one and provable.

It was actually more comfortable for me to work for a corporation. I saw a lot of people get fired, but usually for a good reason and after a great deal of trying to get the employee to do what they wanted.

In your case, I would be more concerned about having that statement you signed floating around. It seems that a lawyer could convince them to give that up in return for promising no legal action that would cost them money even if they won.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:05 am
Just an update: I am still seeking an opinion from a local lawyer, just because I think it would be prudent, but I am leaning towards just taking your guys' advice and letting it all go. I am going to have to focus on getting a new job in this economy as it is and that will probably require all of my energy :|

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:26 pm
I thought I might bump this and let you guys know where I am at right now, since I got so much help from you.

Currently working in the mall at this awesome pastry/coffee/sandwich/breakfast place that just opened up. Employers are very nice and I managed to increase pay from the last job by nearly a dollar. Plus the hours are way better and I am working with some people my age, which is nice. Actually already forming some good friendships and a few of us made plans to grab some drinks after first paycheck, so that should be pretty sweet :mrgreen:

I just want to reiterate how much I appreciate the help from everybody on this board, as you likely saved me from wasting money in a legal battle that probably would have just drained happiness from me.

After a tough job hunt and a few months on penny pinching, I am back in the workforce in probably the best possible position I could be in. Thanks again, everybody.

-T

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:30 am
hey Tarantism, I haven't had much time to talk to u since you joined this forum, for I have been incredibly busy with my life. but i wanna just say you are a refreshing read when it comes to the board. I been reading your comments and posts and no doubt are an amazing addition to this board this year. Stay strong my man, and glad to hear you have moved on with another job.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:53 am
Tarantism wrote:I thought I might bump this and let you guys know where I am at right now, since I got so much help from you.

Currently working in the mall at this awesome pastry/coffee/sandwich/breakfast place that just opened up. Employers are very nice and I managed to increase pay from the last job by nearly a dollar. Plus the hours are way better and I am working with some people my age, which is nice. Actually already forming some good friendships and a few of us made plans to grab some drinks after first paycheck, so that should be pretty sweet :mrgreen:

I just want to reiterate how much I appreciate the help from everybody on this board, as you likely saved me from wasting money in a legal battle that probably would have just drained happiness from me.

After a tough job hunt and a few months on penny pinching, I am back in the workforce in probably the best possible position I could be in. Thanks again, everybody.

-T

Great stuff man! very glad to hear it and well done. :wink:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:31 am
Good choice, Tarantism.

I actually passed this on to my mom's friend's daughter and she basically said the same thing. Move on. Apologies for not letting you know what she said, as I can get backtracked at times. Hope things go much, much better there.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:05 am
xbay wrote:Good choice, Tarantism.

I actually passed this on to my mom's friend's daughter and she basically said the same thing. Move on. Apologies for not letting you know what she said, as I can get backtracked at times. Hope things go much, much better there.

Yeah, nice to see you're doing well, Tarantism.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:23 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:hey Tarantism, I haven't had much time to talk to u since you joined this forum, for I have been incredibly busy with my life. but i wanna just say you are a refreshing read when it comes to the board. I been reading your comments and posts and no doubt are an amazing addition to this board this year. Stay strong my man, and glad to hear you have moved on with another job.

Thank you for this and all the other nice comments guys (including in the other thread). :)
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:06 pm
bigstrads wrote:
Tarantism wrote:I thought I might bump this and let you guys know where I am at right now, since I got so much help from you.

-T

Great stuff man! very glad to hear it and well done. :wink:

Agreed. You get no happiness from that path of legal stuff. Good choice man and continue to aim for good times

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:39 pm
glad it worked out in the end Tarantism. You made a solid decision to just walk away.

Return to Off-Topic Forum