Ellis relishes new role of top defender

Area for news articles related to the Warriors

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:26 pm
San Francisco Chronicle wrote:11-28 22:29 PST -- When Warriors assistant coach Keith Smart went over the defensive scheme for Saturday's game against the Lakers, he didn't have to address who would be matched up with Kobe Bryant.

It was a given.

Those kinds of tasks used to go to Stephen Jackson, but since the swingman was shipped to Charlotte, Monta Ellis has been guarding opponents' best perimeter players. It's a role he relishes, despite mixed results.

Ellis held Portland's Brandon Roy to a 6-for-17 shooting night and Dallas' Jason Terry to 9-for-19, but Tony Parker had 32 points and seven assists for San Antonio on Wednesday.

Ellis was back to the good results Saturday against Bryant, who didn't get off a single shot in the first quarter. Ellis also drew a charge against the league's leading scorer.

It was a frustrating night for Bryant, who went 8-for-20 for 20 points - 10 below his season average. After missing a third-quarter turnaround and getting beaten on the other end by Ellis for a lay up, Bryant slammed his hand against the ball before inbounding it.

"They'll probably score on me every once in a while, but I guarantee you, I'll make them miss more shots than they make," Ellis said. "My defense definitely gets overlooked. I hear people say 'Monta can't play defense and this and that.'

"If you look at all the tapes, Monta doesn't get burned like people think he does. I go out and do whatever I need to do."

Ellis is second in the league, averaging 2.5 steals a game. His commitment to defense has been contagious recently.

"It's his job to play with energy and make it tough for opponents' best players," Stephen Curry said. "It starts with Monta, and the rest of the team has to back him up."

Source:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1ARSDU.DTL
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:06 pm
"If you look at all the tapes, Monta doesn't get burned like people think he does. I go out and do whatever I need to do."

Ohh god............please dont talk like that. :roll: :banghead:

"Yeah, Im Monta! .......Monta has had 3 DECENT one on one defensive peformances against Monta's man, for the first time in Monta's career...........y'all should bow down to Monta!"

Jesus, talk about blow a very small capsule of decent defending out of proportion.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:23 pm
bigstrads wrote:

Ohh god............please dont talk like that. :roll: :banghead:

"Yeah, Im Monta! .......Monta has had 3 DECENT one on one defensive peformances against Monta's man, for the first time in Monta's career...........y'all should bow down to Monta!"

Jesus, talk about blow a very small capsule of decent defending out of proportion.

AND... I particularly can't stand people talking about themselves in 3rd person. I just can't... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:28 pm
Don't get me wrong, Monta pisses me off. However I thought he played well against Kobe last night, especially in the first half in which Kobe had 5 points.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:03 am
Captain_Jack wrote:Don't get me wrong, Monta pisses me off. However I thought he played well against Kobe last night, especially in the first half in which Kobe had 5 points.

Oh, of course he's playing great right now. It's the way he talks about it what bothers me. Totally unrelated matters, Capt.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:37 am
Monta and Biedrins for MGasol and Gay :wink:

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:03 am
The Monta myth of not playing defense, debunked, just like the he does not have the same speed after injury, the beat goes on.

Return to News Articles