Boxing Fans?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


Rookie
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:55 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:16 am
No way pac has his way with mosely the way be beatdown a shot fringe cotto. the fight will get made with mayweather. both sides are not that stupid to stop it. there is just too mush bread involved for both sides. Its just a shame pac who is regarded as # 1 takes the easier fight with cotto instead of mosely. team pac only took the fight with cotto cause he was lain and would draw latin fans to watch, team pac even admits it.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:35 am
oliver mcall wrote:No way pac has his way with mosely the way be beatdown a shot fringe cotto. the fight will get made with mayweather. both sides are not that stupid to stop it. there is just too mush bread involved for both sides. Its just a shame pac who is regarded as # 1 takes the easier fight with cotto instead of mosely. team pac only took the fight with cotto cause he was lain and would draw latin fans to watch, team pac even admits it.


Yep.

I was reading a column on yahoo saying negotiations between Golden Boy Productions, who is Mayweather's promoter, and Bob Arum could begin this week. Or at least, Arum should expect a call as soon as... TODAY! They'll talk up some proposals, but the stage is pretty much set. Mayweather/Pacquiao is going to happen, it's just a matter of both sides setting a date in 2010.

I'm real excited to see it happen, as is the entire boxing world. Heck, even Dana White wants it! :mrgreen: Not just the fight, but the sh*t talking between Freddie Roach and Mayweather Sr. just cause Mayweather Sr. sounds like an idiot the majority of the time when he tries to knock on Pacquiao and Roach.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:46 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:28 am
xbay wrote:Wow, you were spot on CjR! Manny knocked him twice in the 4th round and later on in another round as well, if my memory is correct. Seriously, other than the first and maybe I think third round, Manny completely dominated that fight. Not only did he take every punch Cotto landed, but his speed completely overwhelmed Cotto.

I liked Pacquiao's response to the question of who'd he like to fight next, in which he replied... it's the promoter who makes the fights, I'm just the fighter. I'm gonna go on vacation. Then, Roach responds it with... if Mayweather wants to fight, I want Pacquiao to fight him too.

It really will be interesting to see what transpires in the next months in figuring out what's next for Pacquiao.


Thanks, X-bay. I'm envious you got to see it. Yeah, it was the first thing I checked after my plane landed. I had a feeling Cotto would try to start fast and try to take the fight to Manny, especially after suffering that loss to Margarito. I thought Cotto would get floored/rocked early by a counterpunch, especially with the speed and angles Manny throws them, and then take him out in the later rounds. But great to hear that Manny took some shots and proved his chin.

Cotto is a game and great fighter, but Manny is just in a different class with his lethal combination of speed, power in both hands, and southpaw style (and a strange, one at that) that no one can figure out.

Mayweather will box, counterpunch, and run, so that might be a much more tactical match.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:46 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:40 am
oliver mcall wrote:No way pac has his way with mosely the way be beatdown a shot fringe cotto. the fight will get made with mayweather. both sides are not that stupid to stop it. there is just too mush bread involved for both sides. Its just a shame pac who is regarded as # 1 takes the easier fight with cotto instead of mosely. team pac only took the fight with cotto cause he was lain and would draw latin fans to watch, team pac even admits it.



I've seen just about every Cotto fight, and what makes you say Cotto was a shot fighter--and in having only lost to Margarito who BTW cheated? Give me specifics. After this second beating he took from Pacquaio, maybe.

And what makes you say Mosley is a tougher opponent for Pacquiao, his last fight alone? Not that this matters, but Manny just beat the man who beat the man. Mosley is a volume puncher, and he does not pack a punch like Cotto. He also gets hit a whole lot, which if he fights Pacquiao, he will be done in no time. Mosely has a good chin, but he's been in too many wars, and he's never faced a big puncher with speed like Manny.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:22 am
Andre Ward! 'Nuff said. This kid continues to move up in the ranks of the Middleweight class with impressive showings.

Oh, and if you haven't caught the Pacquiao/Cotto fight yet CjR, HBO is running replays of it. They had one last night, which I forgot to tell you. Hopefully you caught it. If not, I'm pretty sure they'll rerun a couple times more for ya. Jus search of it so you can record it on your DVR. Unless of course, you've seen it already. :mrgreen:
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:46 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:38 pm
Just landed today, X-bay, and replay was not scheduled today (on HBO), so I just settled watching it on youtube. Yeah, that was a great fight, until the last few rounds when Cotto started to box and run and was just in survival mode. Actually, the best chance Manny had for a dramatic KO/TKO was the 4th, but Cotto was saved by the bell. Cotto was definitely game going toe-to-toe early on, but there was no way he could deal with Manny’s unorthodox style, speed and power. Manny also did well taking Cotto’s big shots. Big props to him in winning a record 7th world division title!

As for Andre Ward, I think I’ve only seen him fight once or twice. Mikkel Kessler is a very good fighter with power, so I'm sure Ward fought very well.
Anyway, great win for the local kid.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:38 am
CjR wrote:Just landed today, X-bay, and replay was not scheduled today (on HBO), so I just settled watching it on youtube. Yeah, that was a great fight, until the last few rounds when Cotto started to box and run and was just in survival mode. Actually, the best chance Manny had for a dramatic KO/TKO was the 4th, but Cotto was saved by the bell. Cotto was definitely game going toe-to-toe early on, but there was no way he could deal with Manny’s unorthodox style, speed and power. Manny also did well taking Cotto’s big shots. Big props to him in winning a record 7th world division title!

As for Andre Ward, I think I’ve only seen him fight once or twice. Mikkel Kessler is a very good fighter with power, so I'm sure Ward fought very well.
Anyway, great win for the local kid.


Yeah, that fight is everywhere. HBO replays, youtube... you name it.

I didn't see Ward's fight, and I haven't seen him that much, either. I just follow him cause he's from Oakland. But from highlights and articles I've read on him, I'm really intrigued by him enough for me to develop an even stronger following of him. Kessler is ranked as the number one 168-pound fighter as far as I know or read, so sounds like an impressive win to me. Anyways basically, I'm a Ward fan cause I'm being a homer(then again the same can be said about Pacquiao). :mrgreen:

Off the Pacquiao and Ward hype... you know anything about this Paul Williams kid? Sounds good from what I've heard and read about him. He's a junior middleweight if I'm not mistaken.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:46 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:09 am
xbay wrote:
CjR wrote:Just landed today, X-bay, and replay was not scheduled today (on HBO), so I just settled watching it on youtube. Yeah, that was a great fight, until the last few rounds when Cotto started to box and run and was just in survival mode. Actually, the best chance Manny had for a dramatic KO/TKO was the 4th, but Cotto was saved by the bell. Cotto was definitely game going toe-to-toe early on, but there was no way he could deal with Manny’s unorthodox style, speed and power. Manny also did well taking Cotto’s big shots. Big props to him in winning a record 7th world division title!

As for Andre Ward, I think I’ve only seen him fight once or twice. Mikkel Kessler is a very good fighter with power, so I'm sure Ward fought very well.
Anyway, great win for the local kid.


Yeah, that fight is everywhere. HBO replays, youtube... you name it.

I didn't see Ward's fight, and I haven't seen him that much, either. I just follow him cause he's from Oakland. But from highlights and articles I've read on him, I'm really intrigued by him enough for me to develop an even stronger following of him. Kessler is ranked as the number one 168-pound fighter as far as I know or read, so sounds like an impressive win to me. Anyways basically, I'm a Ward fan cause I'm being a homer(then again the same can be said about Pacquiao). :mrgreen:

Off the Pacquiao and Ward hype... you know anything about this Paul Williams kid? Sounds good from what I've heard and read about him. He's a junior middleweight if I'm not mistaken.


Paul Williams is a freakishly tall lanky boxer with long arms who has a punch output like a small lightweight fighter. He’s now in the middleweight division, climbing from the welterweight. He doesn’t posses great power (doesn’t set down on them and slaps a bit), but he usually outpunches his opponents and wears them down. He’s a very likeable person, though. Solid character.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:27 am
ESPN reported the target date for Pacquiao/Mayweather is May 1st.

Check what Mayweather Sr. had to say about the Cotto/Pacquiao fight. I love this guy... he sounds really retarded.

Manny Pacquiao 'can't fight at all', says Floyd Mayweather Sr

• Mayweather Jr's father says Filipino doesn't move his head
• 'Pacquiao couldn't hit me if I was asleep'

Floyd Mayweather Sr has issued a scathing assessment of Manny Pacquiao's boxing technique, claiming that the Filipino "can't fight at all". Pacquiao became a seven-weight world champion by defeating Miguel Cotto in Las Vegas this month, but Mayweather Sr said he had been unimpressed by the performance.

"You know what I took away from the Cotto fight? Pacquiao can't fight at all, man," Mayweather Sr said. "That man don't move his head … when Cotto still had his wits and was ducking underneath and moving his head, Pacquiao couldn't touch him.

"Pacquiao couldn't hit me if I was asleep. He is strong and fast, but that man can't fight. He throws the same combination."

Pacquiao's victory over Cotto has prompted calls for a showdown with Floyd Mayweather Jr, and Mayweather Sr says his son would have nothing to fear.

"Lil' Floyd is miles ahead of Pacquiao in the skills department," he said. "If they make that fight, Lil' Floyd got something for him.

"Man, let me tell you something, man. [Pacquiao's trainer] Freddie Roach hasn't taught Pacquiao ****. That man still don't move his damn head and he's till drops his hands after he throws combinations.

"He can try that Superman **** of putting his hands in the air if he wants to; he would be flying all right. Pacquiao can't fight man, I'm telling you."
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:30 am
Looks like it's on. Sources on ESPN say Mayweather has agreed on the Welterweight Title fight against Pacquaio on March 13th. It could, however, be moved to May 1st.

The target date is March 13th, as the source says, but May 1st is very likely as well.

HELL YEAHHHH!
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5860
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 5:05 am
Location: Brisbane
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:48 am
Roy Jones JR just got TKO in the fastest boxing match i've seen.

Best Thing about it... An Australian did it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21364
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:22 am
PAWNO wrote:Roy Jones JR just got TKO in the fastest boxing match i've seen.

Best Thing about it... An Australian did it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:



Danny Green wins another great fight and the man from PERTH becomes champion yet again and yet again as the underdog
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3244
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:04 pm
caught him right on the temple, down he went
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:46 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:06 am
Damn, I didn't know about this fight.
I think I've seen Danny Green fight once a while, while back.

But Jones is definitely done. He's been getting KO'd the last few years, and at the heavier weight division--in this case, Cruiserweight. One punch can end it with these guys.

Too bad. He was at his best at middleweight.

Anyhow, congrats to Danny Green. Australians have some very good fighters.
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:46 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:16 am
xbay wrote:Looks like it's on. Sources on ESPN say Mayweather has agreed on the Welterweight Title fight against Pacquaio on March 13th. It could, however, be moved to May 1st.

The target date is March 13th, as the source says, but May 1st is very likely as well.

HELL YEAHHHH!


Man, this is going to be great! It'll be a tactial fight, but Manny will have an edge in punching power, and Floyd has never fought anyone with Manny's style and speed. Curious to see how the hype builds up.

As for Sr. X-bay, he's just bitter and talking smack 'cause Manny just flat out knocked the head off of his fighter Ricky Hatton cold. I don't see how he can still talk with his foot in his mouth. Must be garbled garbage.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron