MOVIE REVIEWS

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:59 pm
I don't know if any of you have heard about "Moon" but it is a little obscure scifi drama that was actually really good! If you like 2001 then you'll love this - I urge you to rent/download it asap.

I've been getting into more indi and foreign films lately. I just saw "Let the Right One In" - A little Russian horror flick that was amazing! If you don't mind reading movies or you speak the language then I recommend that one.

Observe and Report - Avoid this film at all costs! I thought Mall Cop was bad! Seth Rogen shows just how bad and unfunny he can be when he doesn't have a A list writer and director behind him.

Next Day Air was a good dark comedy with an awesome cast, the plot development hinders an otherwise good story.[/b]

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:05 pm
'Let the Right One In' is actually swedish. pretty decent movie.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:11 pm
You guys need to see = Bronson.

An true (sort of) story of a nutacse prisoner..............played by the most versatile, committed and cameleon like young actor in the world today, Tom Hardy.

F*cking astonishing film, with an even more astounding performance by Tom boy................f*ck, seriously, how someone can commit to that level is truly admirable.

If you can, check him out in a little TV drame we had over here called "The Take"..............was harsh as f*ck, and again, he was incredible.

(Bring on the man crush crap...............you know what! f*ck it, I dont care, hes worth it! :wink:)

Seriously, check out one of both of these.............you shall not regret it.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:33 am
Anybody seen 2012? Saw it a week ago and made me think a little bit, given the predictions.

This movie was apocalyptic, of course, but the classic Mayan predictions are not bad. More of a positive physical or spiritual change which marks a new age.

The movie was, eh, so-so, poorly directed, and quickly forgettable.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:14 am
CjR wrote:Anybody seen 2012? Saw it a week ago and made me think a little bit, given the predictions.

This movie was apocalyptic, of course, but the classic Mayan predictions are not bad. More of a positive physical or spiritual change which marks a new age.

Haven't seen the movie and had forgotten that it was coming out soon and didn't know exactly when it was set to come out.

As for the 2012 predictions - The Mayons were not the only ones that made the prediction of the end of the world as we know it to be at 2012 and I have read much on this subject. It is hard to refute such predictions, but as always, we'll have to wait and find out. I have started to link all predictions/conspiracies that I've studied and there is correlation, though you have to conclude that yourself and you can say some constants are interpretation of each person.

In simple, enjoy life, keep your eyes open to what is going and take the precautions needed. Worrying doesn't do you any good, though I admit I have worries a bit and sometimes still do, but believe it all isn't doom and gloom and it won't be.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:35 am
Heard a lot of terrible reviews about 2012, so one less movie to care about...

Ok, it's been a while since I posted in this thread, so I'm going to add a new one that you probably haven't seen:

The Secret in Their Eyes

Probabyl never heard of it, as it's an Argentine thriller, but it's an amazingly well told story about love, hate and a manhunt that goes on for 25 years, told by the eyes of the one that tries to follow all leads to catch a guy that brutally raped and killed a young woman.

The movie shows us the tracking of the killer, how they try to catch him and... I won't unveil anything else... but, at the same time, it deals with the guy that's trying to catch him in his free time (probably liked the charactere a lot because we have the same job) and his personal life and expectations.

It's interesting to notice that the story is told like a flashback, starting with the lead character already retired and wanting to write a novel about the case, so the story unfolds before our very eyes as he remembers it.

Great cast, good story, well directed.... Some people say it can drag out a bit, but it has the perfect pace for me. I can't recommend this movie enough

5/5.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:20 am
migya wrote:
CjR wrote:Anybody seen 2012? Saw it a week ago and made me think a little bit, given the predictions.

Haven't seen the movie and had forgotten that it was coming out soon and didn't know exactly when it was set to come out.

As for the 2012 predictions - The Mayons were not the only ones that made the prediction of the end of the world as we know it to be at 2012 and I have read much on this subject. It is hard to refute such predictions, but as always, we'll have to wait and find out. I have started to link all predictions/conspiracies that I've studied and there is correlation, though you have to conclude that yourself and you can say some constants are interpretation of each person.

In simple, enjoy life, keep your eyes open to what is going and take the precautions needed. Worrying doesn't do you any good, though I admit I have worries a bit and sometimes still do, but believe it all isn't doom and gloom and it won't be.

Saw this movie a few days ago and thought it was farfetched, but I've read many predictions on 2012, as well as other opinions on the future. Interesting movie, definately about disaster and death, but the movie itself wasn't that good

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:38 pm
Anyone seen Sugar?

I just finished watching it. Its a really good story about a pitcher from the Dominican Republic coming to America and playing in the minor leagues.

I listened to a podcast with one of the producers recently and he talked about how they had a screening and they had Big Pappy, Pedro Martinez and all these major league players see it and they talked about how accurate the story was.

Highly recommend it even if you arent a baseball fan.
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:22 am
How to train your dragon in 3D
4.5 out of 5

97% on rotten tomatoes!

if you have a kid and take them too this they will think you are awesome. I took my little (whose 13) and I enjoyed it just as much as he probably did, and I usually don't like kid flicks. As the critics say, this is the best 3D experience since avatar and even though I haven't seen another 3D movie since Avatar, I believe them. Flying scenes really did give me a bit of vertigo (and there's plenty of it), but it wasn't all over the place, it was def watchable and won't make you sick to your stomach or anything. The story was pretty awesome as well. no kiddie humor (poop/fart jokes etc..) just really smart tight writing the whole family can actually enjoy (really!). only an hour and a half too.

plenty of action, a few small laughs, a bit of heart, and smart writing, brilliant animation - check it out while you can.

Oh yeah and In case I didn't make it clear: GO SEE IT IN 3D. it's def worth 4 extra bucks per.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdpqeGnojYw[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTXZUpMIiRg[/youtube]

Hot tub time machine:
3.75 out of 5 stars

after checking with critics, I went into this with high expectations and I got to say - it's pretty damn good, I had an argument with my buddy over whether it's better than the Hangover - it's definitely a conversation. I think this has more laughs, but the hangover def has better quality, gut busting laughs. left the movie theater satisfied - I count each laugh as a dollar and if I laugh 10.5 times the movie is worth the price of admission (probably got about a dozen in).

You don't have to see this in theaters, there's no one line that everyone will be quoting for the next few months that you won't get because you didn't see the flick in the theaters, but that said, bring some bro's on a saturday night, maybe knock a few back before hand, and I doubt any of them will walk out disappointed.

Did feel kinda "cheap" as some critics have pointed out, but it really is just trying to mimic the cheap bad movies of the eighties. they have one short scene pointing out 80's references and that's it which made me so happy, because I can't stand pop culture reference movies (scary movie, meet the spartans etc...). Cast minus John Cusac has great chemistry (C. Robinson, R. Courdry, C. Duke), and I don't know why everyone hates Chevy Chase in everything he does - He wasn't great by any stretch, but he wasn't sucking the life out of this movie as some have suggested. he just has a small side character roll anyway.

my recent comedies rank:
1. 40 year old virgin
2. The Hangover
3. Hot TTM
4. Superbad
5. Knocked up
6. Pineapple express

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TWETJqiHL4&feature=youtube_gdata[/youtube]
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:59 am
TMC wrote:Heard a lot of terrible reviews about 2012, so one less movie to care about...

Ok, it's been a while since I posted in this thread, so I'm going to add a new one that you probably haven't seen:

The Secret in Their Eyes

Probabyl never heard of it, as it's an Argentine thriller, but it's an amazingly well told story about love, hate and a manhunt that goes on for 25 years, told by the eyes of the one that tries to follow all leads to catch a guy that brutally raped and killed a young woman.

The movie shows us the tracking of the killer, how they try to catch him and... I won't unveil anything else... but, at the same time, it deals with the guy that's trying to catch him in his free time (probably liked the charactere a lot because we have the same job) and his personal life and expectations.

It's interesting to notice that the story is told like a flashback, starting with the lead character already retired and wanting to write a novel about the case, so the story unfolds before our very eyes as he remembers it.

Great cast, good story, well directed.... Some people say it can drag out a bit, but it has the perfect pace for me. I can't recommend this movie enough

5/5.

quite a fine movie,but for my taste it had too much of that unfulfilled love thing going between those two policemen and that train scene was over the top, but overall not too bad. and the way the rapist was treated was very, how to say, poetically strong and motivated.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:07 pm
Right, I realise an Aussie is probably not helping anyone in the US with a movie review as these are probably sitting in your dvd cabinets already, but anyway here's what I've seen in the last fortnight.

Get him to the Greek - 2 stars :banghead:

I like dirty humour as much as the next bloke, but Russel Brand is just such a nob. Painful to watch. Go watch one of his stand up routines and then multiply by two hours and you have the idea. Jonah Hill, whom I loved in Superbad, was dissapointing in this.

Shrek Forever After - 2 stars :sleeping:

You will be disapointed if your hoping to get something out of this as an adult in the audiance.
The kids will probably be happy but really Dreamworks are just rolling them out now.

Grownups - 2 stars :|

I can't even be bothered writting about this. I remember laughing once, maybe twice. About ten bucks a laugh. Man, how a movie with so many good comedians can com up with such a lame job is beyond me.

Seriously I'm not a harsh critic, but there is some serious gruel comming out these days... Save your time and save your money.

So with that said...

Toy Story 3 - 4,1/2 stars :) ::lol: :mrgreen:

Thank Christ for Pixar! They just continue to be brilliant... refusing to substitute quantity for quality.
It's always good when after five minutes you already know your in for a treat. Now you can just sit back with your popcorn, slump into your chair and soak up a great story. I'm so glad my nephews gave me an excuss to see this.

Seriously go and see on the big screen whether you have an excuss or not.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:30 am
MurinuR wrote:Right, I realise an Aussie is probably not helping anyone in the US with a movie review as these are probably sitting in your dvd cabinets already, but anyway here's what I've seen in the last fortnight.

Get him to the Greek - 2 stars :banghead:

I like dirty humour as much as the next bloke, but Russel Brand is just such a nob. Painful to watch. Go watch one of his stand up routines and then multiply by two hours and you have the idea. Jonah Hill, whom I loved in Superbad, was dissapointing in this.

Shrek Forever After - 2 stars :sleeping:

You will be disapointed if your hoping to get something out of this as an adult in the audiance.
The kids will probably be happy but really Dreamworks are just rolling them out now.

Grownups - 2 stars :|

I can't even be bothered writting about this. I remember laughing once, maybe twice. About ten bucks a laugh. Man, how a movie with so many good comedians can com up with such a lame job is beyond me.

Seriously I'm not a harsh critic, but there is some serious gruel comming out these days... Save your time and save your money.

So with that said...

Toy Story 3 - 4,1/2 stars :) ::lol: :mrgreen:

Thank Christ for Pixar! They just continue to be brilliant... refusing to substitute quantity for quality.
It's always good when after five minutes you already know your in for a treat. Now you can just sit back with your popcorn, slump into your chair and soak up a great story. I'm so glad my nephews gave me an excuss to see this.

Seriously go and see on the big screen whether you have an excuss or not.

Get him to the Greek was awesome, P Diddy was actually funny.. what's wrong with you man? lol giving it the same rating as grown ups, you should be ashamed. Grown ups was awful.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:45 am
I'm a big movie buff. The latest movie to really leave an impression on me was The Road starring Viggo Mortenson. This is a very dark movie, so be warned. If you are into happy Hollywood movies only you won't like this. If you like post-apocolyptic movies this one is great.
* Underhanded Beans Fanclub Leader *

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:20 pm
karate kid ftw
~LilBallerx~

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:34 pm
LilBallerx30 wrote:karate kid ftw

i couldnt take that movie seriously after being an MMA fan
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"