Blake Griffin out for six weeks

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:27 am
Man, we've been bitching and moaning about our back-up PF being out... this is just a kick in the stomach if you are a Clipper fan.

I was happy at first ('cause of those unpleasant memories of clipper GM), but to think about it more than a split-second, that really sux for them and I feel bad.

Clippers lose Griffin to broken kneecap

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Blake Griffin's NBA debut has been pushed back indefinitely after the Los Angeles Clippers revealed late Monday night that their No. 1 overall draft pick has a broken left kneecap.

The stress fracture could sideline the Oklahoma star for six weeks, the team announced, promising further information Tuesday.

Griffin, who averaged 13.7 points and 8.1 rebounds per game during the preseason, won't be in the Clippers' lineup when they face the Lakers in their opener Tuesday night, and he could be out much longer. The Clippers play 20 games in their first six weeks of the regular season.

Griffin apparently broke his kneecap during the Clippers' final exhibition game against New Orleans last Friday, perhaps after a dunk that left the power forward wincing in pain. The team initially said Griffin only had a sore left knee, making him questionable for the opener, before revealing the break.

Griffin was the consensus college player of the year with 22.7 points and an NCAA-best 14.4 rebounds per game last season for the Sooners.

After the Clippers won the draft lottery and selected him, Griffin strained his right shoulder during a summer league game in July. The team brought him back cautiously, and Griffin said he was totally healthy in the preseason.

His latest injury is a sadly unsurprising setback for the star-crossed Clippers, who won just 19 games last year in an injury-plagued season. Los Angeles has just two winning in the last 30 years and just one playoff series victory since moving to town in 1984.

Los Angeles was mostly healthy going into this fall, with point guard Baron Davis and center Chris Kaman both ready to play after missing chunks of last season. The Clippers actually have solid frontcourt talent with Marcus Camby, Al Thornton and Rasual Butler alongside Griffin.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:35 am
That is good for the team as the Clips are a division rival. Hopefully we meet tham one or twice during this time, as maybe they will be easiet to beat. The Clips get a set back and it will be interesting to see how the other players, particularly Baron, react

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:36 am
good for us, but shame- was looking forward to seeing the kid play

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:37 am
the clips are cursed, no doubt about out. thats what they get for stealing our players.
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:50 am
http://www.nba.com/video/games/clippers ... index.html

heres how he injured it. got to say it was a sick dunk. and man, talk about a freak accident - went totally untouched.

I don't know, part of me is like, "well we had a severe injury last year, it's time for other teams to be unlucky", but the other half is like I want the dubs to beat the clips fair and square.

oh well, go dubs!
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:50 am
Damn, and I got him in one of my fantasy teams.
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:29 am
Great news. A direct rival competing against us for the last playoff spots has some adversity.

The Clips are the enemy.

Still it means nothing if the Dubs don't take advantage and smash them while their down.

If they have a better record than us this year it will be the height of embarrassment.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:54 pm
It seems no matter who they get in the draft, he either sucks or gets injured.

The Clips curse continues.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:13 am
xbay wrote:It seems no matter who they get in the draft, he either sucks or gets injured.

You know better than to call it the "Clips curse", buddy... :wink: :banghead:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:08 am
TMC wrote:
xbay wrote:It seems no matter who they get in the draft, he either sucks or gets injured.

Ah, of course... The TMC curse. :mrgreen:

Happened to Tom Brady with you last year. Who was it this year in fantasy football?
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:46 am
xbay wrote:
TMC wrote:

Ah, of course... The TMC curse. :mrgreen:

Happened to Tom Brady with you last year. Who was it this year in fantasy football?

Victims of the TMC curse:

Tom Brady
Gilbert Arenas
Al Jefferson
Yao Ming
Clinton Portis (still playing, but at 30% or so)
Kevin Love
Blake Griffin

Oh... Leon Washington also... 8)

Come on, it's just ridiculous. And I'm sure I'm forgetting more than a few...

Return to NBA Forum