MLB Playoffs

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:54 pm
I think so. Who are your picks?
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 6
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:34 pm
NL MVP is Pujols, with Prince Fielder as the dark horse. At one stage I thought Pujols could have gotten the triple-crown, but I think he'll have to settle for the regular season MVP. I'm sure he'll be pissed about how the Cards went in the post-season.

Al MVP has to be Joe Mauer, with Jeter and Texeria taking votes from each other. Mauer led the league in average, and this season began to hit for power more consistently. Plus, he plays the toughest position on the field. I think this one is pretty clear cut.

NL Cy Young is a toughie. I think Lincecum, Carpenter and Wainwright can all make legitimate cases (although I think Cliff Lee would have gotten it if he played for Philly from the start of the year). At gun point, I would go with Wainwright. Lead the division in wins and innings pitched, and was right up the top in ERA and Ks.

For the AL Cy Young, I lean towards Greinke. He only had 16 wins, and I know the voters often go with the person who won the most games. But Greinke had close to the worst run-support out of any pitcher in the league. He had the best ERA by a fair bit, and was second in Ks. He was second in the league in complete games and shut-outs (behind Halladay). Put him on a team that could give him more runs (I know, let's say the Yankees), and I think he could have won 20-25 games easily.

What are your predictions?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:55 am
aussiebiedrins wrote:NL MVP is Pujols, with Prince Fielder as the dark horse. At one stage I thought Pujols could have gotten the triple-crown, but I think he'll have to settle for the regular season MVP. I'm sure he'll be pissed about how the Cards went in the post-season.

Al MVP has to be Joe Mauer, with Jeter and Texeria taking votes from each other. Mauer led the league in average, and this season began to hit for power more consistently. Plus, he plays the toughest position on the field. I think this one is pretty clear cut.

NL Cy Young is a toughie. I think Lincecum, Carpenter and Wainwright can all make legitimate cases (although I think Cliff Lee would have gotten it if he played for Philly from the start of the year). At gun point, I would go with Wainwright. Lead the division in wins and innings pitched, and was right up the top in ERA and Ks.

For the AL Cy Young, I lean towards Greinke. He only had 16 wins, and I know the voters often go with the person who won the most games. But Greinke had close to the worst run-support out of any pitcher in the league. He had the best ERA by a fair bit, and was second in Ks. He was second in the league in complete games and shut-outs (behind Halladay). Put him on a team that could give him more runs (I know, let's say the Yankees), and I think he could have won 20-25 games easily.

Obviously, Pujols for the NL MVP. As good as the numbers Fielder put up, his team did not make the playoffs. Granted, it wasn't his fault, it was the weak pitching staff's fault, but I still take Pujols, even though his team got swept out.

AL MVP goes to Joe Mauer as well. Dude was amazing this season, and you also look of how much dangerous Justin Morneau became when he hit in front of Mauer.

NL Cy Young is tough, I agree. But I'm going to go with Tim Lincecum. Not cause I'm biased, but cause I think for the same reason you think Texiera and Jeter would take votes away from each other, I think Wainwright and Carpenter would do the same.

AL Cy Young is Greinke for me as well. I really thought he should of started the game for the American League in the All-Star game, cause he clearly was the best pitcher in the AL at the moment, in my eyes.

No rookie of the year awards for you?

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:08 am
I agree on Greinke, Mauer and Pujols.

I hope Timmy wins the cy young. His numbers are better than Wainwright's (except for wins) and I hope Carpenter loses votes to Wainwright and because he sucked so bad in his one playoff start. I know the playoffs aren't supposed to matter, but it's hard to call the guy your ace and the cy young winner when he one-and-dones you in the playoffs.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:05 pm
xbay wrote:
aussiebiedrins wrote:NL MVP is Pujols, with Prince Fielder as the dark horse. At one stage I thought Pujols could have gotten the triple-crown, but I think he'll have to settle for the regular season MVP. I'm sure he'll be pissed about how the Cards went in the post-season.

Obviously, Pujols for the NL MVP. As good as the numbers Fielder put up, his team did not make the playoffs. Granted, it wasn't his fault, it was the weak pitching staff's fault, but I still take Pujols, even though his team got swept out.

AL MVP goes to Joe Mauer as well. Dude was amazing this season, and you also look of how much dangerous Justin Morneau became when he hit in front of Mauer.

NL Cy Young is tough, I agree. But I'm going to go with Tim Lincecum. Not cause I'm biased, but cause I think for the same reason you think Texiera and Jeter would take votes away from each other, I think Wainwright and Carpenter would do the same.

AL Cy Young is Greinke for me as well. I really thought he should of started the game for the American League in the All-Star game, cause he clearly was the best pitcher in the AL at the moment, in my eyes.

Whoops, completely forgot about them...

In the AL, i reckon Elvis Andrus. He put up some pretty decent numbers, and his defense has superb. I'd say he's a pretty clear front-runner, but guys like Niemann, Porcello, Bailey and even Beckham can't be ruled out.

As for the NL, I'd probably go with Chris Coghlan from the Marlins. He had some really good stretches throughout the season. If not him, maybe Tommy Hanson or J.Happ? What are your thoughts?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:29 pm
aussiebiedrins wrote:
xbay wrote:

Whoops, completely forgot about them...

In the AL, i reckon Elvis Andrus. He put up some pretty decent numbers, and his defense has superb. I'd say he's a pretty clear front-runner, but guys like Niemann, Porcello, Bailey and even Beckham can't be ruled out.

As for the NL, I'd probably go with Chris Coghlan from the Marlins. He had some really good stretches throughout the season. If not him, maybe Tommy Hanson or J.Happ? What are your thoughts?

To be honest, I did not catch any rookies from this year. The only rook I knew was across the bay in Oakland, Andrew Bailey.

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:15 pm
I think the two best teams are playing in the World Series.

It's going to be a great series, I think both team boasts exceptional batting line-ups, and the starting pitching rotation, on paper, looks pretty good too.

In fact, I think starting pitching will definitely decide the series. Lee and Sabathia is a great match-up for Game 1 (and as Bill Simmons would say, "Cleveland Indian fans, you may now light yourselves on fire"), and it will be interesting to see who starts in the following games. I think Philly should start Pedro and Hamels and maybe Happ/Blanton, while the Yanks will obviously go with Burnett and Pettite, but I wonder if a 3-man rotation will come back to hurt them. We'll see.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Phils, and I really think they can win, let's say in 7 games, with World Series MVP going to Ryan Howard. He's been on fire lately. But I am interested to see how A-Rod performs on the big stage. I think he'll have a good series.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:18 pm
aussiebiedrins wrote:I think the two best teams are playing in the World Series.

It's going to be a great series, I think both team boasts exceptional batting line-ups, and the starting pitching rotation, on paper, looks pretty good too.

In fact, I think starting pitching will definitely decide the series. Lee and Sabathia is a great match-up for Game 1 (and as Bill Simmons would say, "Cleveland Indian fans, you may now light yourselves on fire"), and it will be interesting to see who starts in the following games. I think Philly should start Pedro and Hamels and maybe Happ/Blanton, while the Yanks will obviously go with Burnett and Pettite, but I wonder if a 3-man rotation will come back to hurt them. We'll see.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Phils, and I really think they can win, let's say in 7 games, with World Series MVP going to Ryan Howard. He's been on fire lately. But I am interested to see how A-Rod performs on the big stage. I think he'll have a good series.

I think you're right that starting pitching will decide the series, but I disagree that the starting pitching looks good on paper. In fact, I'm rather disappointed with how average these two rotations look going into the World Series.

Lee is solid, but Pedro is on his last legs and Hamels hasn't looked great. Will these guys survive the Yankees offense? Lee should, Pedro will either shut them down or get shelled, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Hamels get knocked around.

The Yankees are worse. Sabathia is an ace. Burnett and Pettitte are downright average, sporting an era above 4 and both very hittable.

This World Series is all about survival. I'd be shocked if we saw many low scoring games. My guess is the team that gets the most quality starts out of its rotation will be the winner but I doubt there will be many dominant performances.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:43 pm
Not to mention the incredible workload the Yankees had bestowed upon them in the ALCS. They already pitched enough in the regular season, then they go 1-2-3 in the ALDS, 1-2-3-1-2-3 in the ALCS. Let's see how much is left in the tank for these guys.

The Phillies... NotStuck said it.

The offense is there for both teams, now let's look at that rotation and bullpen.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:15 pm
Yankees are in big, big trouble. I wouldn't have said earlier they needed tonight's win, but now that they're about to lose it I'm thinking this was a much bigger game than I first thought.

Pedro vs. Burnett is not a good match-up for the Yanks, especially with NY's bullpen troubles. And then they go back to Philly.

I love it!
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:26 pm
Wow, Cliff Lee... amazing.

Seriously, it looked like he was tossing a no-hitter. The infield pop up he caught was a lazy, I'll just stick my hand out and see if it lands in my glove catch.

The Yanks are in trouble.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:02 pm
And three games later, the Yankees are up 3-1 and on the verge of winning yet another World Series. After game one I really figured the Yanks were going to have some trouble with that pitching staff, but NY's offense has battered Philly ever since.

It's a shame. Philly is the team that did it right, signing wise FA deals and even producing some of its own talent. In the end their pitching is a joke, unfortunately. If not for a prayer signing of Pedro and the late signing of Cliff Lee this team would have one of the worst staffs in World Series history.

The Yankees, on the other hand, bought their way to a World Series with that offense and the recent signings of Sabathia and Burnett.

As I sit here typing I'm really disappointed in Major League Baseball. To put the Yankees on the pedestal and not mention the $200 million payroll vs. the Phillies $110 just ignores how this sport is flawed and will remain so.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:14 pm
You make a number of good points there SoCal.

Apart from Cliff Lee, the Phillies pitching staff have let their side down a little bit. But I wouldn't call their rotation a joke. The Yankees do have the most potent offense in the entire league. You can only silence the bats for so long. Also, Hamels is only a year removed from being World Series MVP. What happened to the guy this year though? Seems like it's a confidence thing. And Lidge --> worst time ever to blow a post-season save.

It doesn't seem right that the Yanks should win the WS on the back of having the most money to throw at free agents. I'm not entirely privvy to the administration side of MLB, but why isn't there a salary cap in place? I would advocate one in all professional sports (it's the case in all major sports in Australia. Although the money is so small, it's hilarious. In our basketball league, the NBL, the salary cap for an entire TEAM is approximately $1.5mil, hahaha).

I'm not giving up on the Phillies though. It's extremely wishful thinking, but I predict Lee gets the job done in Game 5, then Pedro winds back the clock in Game 6 for his last ever pitching performance in the post-season, and then the Phillies push all their chips to the middle and start Lee in Game 7. He'll win three WS games and be named MVP. It's possible right :mrgreen: ?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:49 pm
Really ironic that monopolies are banned in America, yet, they let the MLB slide. It is the only "legal" monopoly left in America... hence why the Yankees can buy their way into a World Series title. It's a damn shame.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:01 am
in many states, certain insurance companies have monopolies... virtual monopolies... we could talk about some other industries too.. buy yeah..

I hate the Yankees! :evil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board