Twolfs?Whats Up With These Guys?

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:42 pm
Ok, with the nba dead right now (no activity or news) i figured i would share my recent confusion with you all...
my question conserns the twolfs (although im sure i should just ignore them like the rest of the nba does)

whats up with these guys? they are getting like the warriors with all these point guards..
drafted Flynn and Rubio
then went and got Daniels
and picked up Chucky Atkins
now got Sessions

???????????//
whats going on with the five pg's trend this yr? warriors imitation?.
it really just caught me off guard when they recently picked up sessions.

I favor Flynn and Sessions..
anywho, just wondering if anyone else even cared lol.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 6
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:28 pm
Well, of those five guys you mentioned, Rubio isn't going to be on the team anytime soon, so that leaves four. I figure Sessions and Daniels and Atkins can all play a bit of two-guard as well, which gives them some more backcourt depth, or the very least, some players to help out during their training runs :wink: I really like the Sessions signing though. He can put up decent numbers, and the contract is pretty good too.

I've always liked the Timberwolves, mainly cause of KG, but I don't see them doing anything significant anytime soon. I'm not privvy to all the information and details surrounding their draft strategy, but I can't see why they wouldn't have drafted Rubio and then Stephen Curry with their two draft picks. Can you imagine those two as your backcourt for the next decade? Not to mention having young studs like Al Jefferson (one of the best post players in the league) and Kevin Love (one of the best white rebounder alive), maturing and improving their games. Instead, their team is primarily filled with role-players and journeymen, and they will languish towards the bottom of the Western Conference for a few more years and possibly beyond. Unless of course, Mark Blount and Brian Cardinal decide to have career years :mrgreen:

It's a pity really, their situation is a big 'what-if', but I don't know the full story behind Rubio and his failure to sign, whether it was Kahn's fault or Rubio's fault or a bit of both. Anyway, their loss of not getting Curry is most definitely the Warriors' gain!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:47 pm
Basically, the way I see it...

They drafted Flynn knowing Rubio would not be playing this year. Once Rubio comes to the Wolves, they'll know if Flynn was worth the investment or not. If he is, they lock him up. If not, they trade Rubio. As for Atkins... he provides them a solid veteran back up PG. Daniels... his contract expires after this year. And Sessions... I don't understand why he chose to sign with Minny. They have those three PGs already, and while he's better than the three of them(well, he's more proven than Flynn and better overall than the other two), the Wolves seem concentrated on Flynn.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 6
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:20 am
xbay wrote:Basically, the way I see it...

They drafted Flynn knowing Rubio would not be playing this year. Once Rubio comes to the Wolves, they'll know if Flynn was worth the investment or not. If he is, they lock him up. If not, they trade Rubio. As for Atkins... he provides them a solid veteran back up PG. Daniels... his contract expires after this year. And Sessions... I don't understand why he chose to sign with Minny. They have those three PGs already, and while he's better than the three of them(well, he's more proven than Flynn and better overall than the other two), the Wolves seem concentrated on Flynn.

See, from what I had read, Rubio had every intention of playing in the NBA this coming season, even if he had to buy out his own Spanish contract. However, he was disuaded by the Wolves drafting Flynn (the idea he might be behind Flynn in the depth chart, who is a proven college player), and decided it wouldn't be worth the risk to sign with the Wolves, especially playing in a smaller market with less possibility of endorsements. Again, I'm only going on what I've read, but the likelihood of Rubio ever playing for the Wolves seems very low now as a result. A lot of what I've read says that Kahn stuffed up big time. But yeah, who knows, I don't know enough about Flynn to know what type of player he might turn out to be. But I do think it's a pity the way everything unfolded.

As for Sessions, he jumped from one sinking ship to another. Maybe he saw a brighter future for himself with the Wolves than with the Bucks, who already have Ridnour and a few other dudes in the guard spots. And let's face it, the Bucks are screwed anyway. Redd and Bogut. Maybe a 30 win team at best.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:59 am
aussiebiedrins wrote:Well, of those five guys you mentioned, Rubio isn't going to be on the team anytime soon, so that leaves four. I figure Sessions and Daniels and Atkins can all play a bit of two-guard as well, which gives them some more backcourt depth, or the very least, some players to help out during their training runs :wink: I really like the Sessions signing though. He can put up decent numbers, and the contract is pretty good too.

I've always liked the Timberwolves, mainly cause of KG, but I don't see them doing anything significant anytime soon. I'm not privvy to all the information and details surrounding their draft strategy, but I can't see why they wouldn't have drafted Rubio and then Stephen Curry with their two draft picks. Can you imagine those two as your backcourt for the next decade? Not to mention having young studs like Al Jefferson (one of the best post players in the league) and Kevin Love (one of the best white rebounder alive), maturing and improving their games. Instead, their team is primarily filled with role-players and journeymen, and they will languish towards the bottom of the Western Conference for a few more years and possibly beyond. Unless of course, Mark Blount and Brian Cardinal decide to have career years :mrgreen:

It's a pity really, their situation is a big 'what-if', but I don't know the full story behind Rubio and his failure to sign, whether it was Kahn's fault or Rubio's fault or a bit of both. Anyway, their loss of not getting Curry is most definitely the Warriors' gain!

They should have gone for Curry instead of Flynn and traded to Knicks for two future 1st rounders, starting next draft or kept Curry, if he is better than Flynn ofcourse.

I still like the TWolves a bit, but they really haven't seemed to improve much. If Flynn is a very good PG, they coul be a playoff team in two to three years, but they still need a SG or two and a SF, if Brewer or Gomes doesn't fit that role well enough

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:42 am
they're season depends on how Jefferson comes back. They have some talent around him now at least
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:33 pm
I don't know why they picked flynn over curry either. not to say that curry is ridiculously better than Flynn, out of the two Curry is a better SG. now they if flynn preforms well (which I think he will) they gotta dump either rubio or flynn.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:25 pm
perhaps not the right thread, but Im glad they didn't pick Curry. he is slooowwllyyyy starting to excite me
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:34 am
Quazza wrote:perhaps not the right thread, but Im glad they didn't pick Curry. he is slooowwllyyyy starting to excite me

Is he much different to Monta though and can they coexist. Most of all, will the team win more with him

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:21 am
migya wrote:
Quazza wrote:perhaps not the right thread, but Im glad they didn't pick Curry. he is slooowwllyyyy starting to excite me

Is he much different to Monta though and can they coexist. Most of all, will the team win more with him

who the fk knows?

but- i think he's already a more natural pg than monta will ever be

just my opinion though
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:27 am
Quazza wrote:
migya wrote:

who the fk knows?

just my opinion though

And has A LOT MORE RANGE.

Other than that, we'll have to wait and see... although I'm more excited about him than I've ever been about Monta.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:17 pm
TMC wrote:
Quazza wrote:
migya wrote:

who the fk knows?

just my opinion though

And has A LOT MORE RANGE.

Other than that, we'll have to wait and see... although I'm more excited about him than I've ever been about Monta.

I haven't seen much footage of Curry to be honest, but have read and seen limited footage of him being a shooter and scorer above all else, not exactly what the team needs as a PG, though if he distributes well enough, the offensive skills will be a real plus. As for Monta, for me it is really only how he comes back from his injury and his attitude, as his injury was pretty serious and his attitude moreso, negatively. Other than that, Monta is stillthe very good, allstar level player that was here for two seasons at least and at pretty good value.

I'd give both of them up for a great PG, like Deron or Paul, AND a pretty good SG

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:50 am
migya wrote:
I'd give both of them up for a great PG, like Deron or Paul, AND a pretty good SG

A pity New Orleans wouldn't agree with you... :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:31 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:

A pity New Orleans wouldn't agree with you... :wink:

You think. Getting Monta and Curry for Paul and......., really there isn't a SG type on that team that would make me want to do that trade anyway

Return to NBA Forum