He's gone in the next month or so
56%
He deserves to coach next season
33%

Total votes : 18

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:32 pm
What's your take on him? I am torn, he's achieved more results than any coach here in almost 10 years, and he gets this team to play hard. On the other hand, his substitution patterns and game management leaves a lot to be desired, and I think his coaching style has already worn on many of the players. Even Foyle has hinted he has had it with him.

I'd like to see some continuity, but on the other hand I don't know if he's the guy I want to stick with.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:43 pm
I voted.... he's gone in a week. Not because I want him gone, and not because he's a "bad coach". Only because he's not Mully's guy, he's St. Jean's guy. Mullin is going to take over and bring his own guy in.
Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:11 pm
I chose gone in a month, for the same reasons as bob. My understanding is that the brass are all taking a break now, so I figure it won't be this week.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:28 pm
They'll try to let Muss find another job before canning him. That way, Cohan doesn't have to pay him.
Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:44 am
hopper15 wrote:They'll try to let Muss find another job before canning him. That way, Cohan doesn't have to pay him.

Wow Hopper, that is probably most likely to happen!!

I agree with Hobbes. I too am torn on Muss. The Warriors have accomplished a lot with him and he did a lot to change the philosophy of the Warriors. Remember he helped facilitate the repainting of the locker room, adding a sense of the great Warrior history to the practice facility (as well as brighten the lighting), defending the home court, and player responsibility. I just think his in-game management is lacking and his chemistry with the players (Team's free agents) could be a problem especially considering he has never played the game at the NBA level.

I probably would have loved to have seen Muss as a GM somewhere, as he has found diamonds in the rough the past two years and I believe he can help organizations win in that capacity.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:02 am
I like Muss and thought he deserves to stay but if the new management don't like him, he has to go. I feel sorry for him but that's the way it is.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:56 am
Like many others I am torn about Mussleman, he has mroe results then many previous coaches, but he also had more talent to work with. The bottom line is that he has (apparently) lost his players and in the NBA that is the death knell for any coach, particularly because of Mullin's asscendency.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:40 pm
i'm hoping that mully's announcement as the new GM sets things in motion really fast; naming of a new head coach and naming of a new staff. i hope this is done before the draft.

the only way i'd like to see mussleman staying is if got a contract extension by mullin. that way he can coach with the future in mind and play the rooks...

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:58 pm
whatever happens, i just hope its not nothing. i've been repeating this a lot, but i'll say it again anyway: no lame duck coaches. its just asking for trouble. when the players know that management has no confidence in a coach, they'll walk all over that coach. look at byron scott. first 2 years he goes to the finals, but then management won't give him an extension. so what happens at the first bump in the road? the team quits on him.

personally, i hope they extend muss 1 year and give him some constructive criticism very privately. muss' faults are in areas where he can easily improve. a coach can learn how to handle a rotation better. his strengths are things that are harder to teach, like being able to keep a team from quiting on you despite injuries, turmoil, and a losing record (many much more accomplished coaches have failed in this regard).

muss has done a lot of things no warriors coach had done in a decade. playoff contention, player development, genuine excitement about the team, a much improved lockerroom (you no longer have 12 guys calling their agents at halftime asking why they haven't been traded it), dealing well with malcontents. i like the mooch comparison. i dont know if muss is as good as mooch, but the situation is similar. young coach who has had some tactics criticized but has otherwise been pretty successful through a rebuild, terrible ownership, coach fired without a better replacement in hand. if larry brown or rick carlisle were available (like they were last year), i'd be for it. don nelson maybe (he's better than muss, but muss has gotten the players to learn defense, something nelly never does). george karl i'd probably go for. but to hand off to mario elie, i dont know. at least it wont be a failed retread like erickson.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:48 pm
I like the guy, I think eventually he'll make a very good coach in the NBA. In a way he's like a rookie, he's had to learn on the fly most of his two years here. Sure, he's coached in the CBA, but the money isn't even close to as high as it is on the level he's at right now. I mean, he was able to fire players at halftime. He'll get better with in-game situations eventually, maybe.

I have a feeling he'll stick when he finds job #2.

By the way, I voted for him to be gone in a month.
Andris Biedrins > Mike Smrek

I'll take Air France over Air Canada anyday.

The Skita train is coming...wait, nevermind.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:41 pm
One could also speculate that they're waiting for San Antonio's season to end (Mario Elie)

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:46 pm
I think Muss will be gone in a month or so, though I'm not sure he deserves it.

This is a little off topic, but for all the hype about Musselman's painting lockers, I wonder if Tom Sterner (asst coach) wasn't as much or more of a key to the last two seasons. Supposedly he did a bunch of work automating breakdown of opponents, using software to present key info to players, etc. I think he's the only assistant back from last year, and my understanding is that last year he was in charge of the offense (which was great) and this year he was in charge of the defense (which was great).

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:30 am
I'm not so sure about Sterner. Maybe he had a bad day, but one game against the Nuggets earlier this year, after Musselman was ejected, he (Sterner) sat Dunleavy the entire 4th quarter after he (Dunleavy) helped the Warriors get back into the game. I think the Warriors ended up losing by 7. They might've lost anyway, but with the hot hand sitting, it's almost assured.
Andris Biedrins > Mike Smrek

I'll take Air France over Air Canada anyday.

The Skita train is coming...wait, nevermind.

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:52 pm
GSDubs wrote:I'm not so sure about Sterner. Maybe he had a bad day, but one game against the Nuggets earlier this year, after Musselman was ejected, he (Sterner) sat Dunleavy the entire 4th quarter after he (Dunleavy) helped the Warriors get back into the game. I think the Warriors ended up losing by 7. They might've lost anyway, but with the hot hand sitting, it's almost assured.

I'm not arguing for him as a head coach or anything, I'm just wondering if he's the type of assistant that quietly makes a team much more effective. If Muss is fired, I'm guessing Sterner would follow him wherever he goes.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:19 am
the assistants should not be kept unless muss is. a coach has to have his own staff. sterner was muss' hire, and imo his fate should be tied to muss'.

speaking of which, now that mullin is officially in, the muss decision should be made within a week imo. mullin has been with the organization for 2 years, he should know enough about muss to decide within a week. if nothing else, it would be nice to give muss the full offseason to find a new job if he needs to.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball